Options

tecso selling american brands....

Comments

• Options
    MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in Tesco yesterday and saw they had 12 cans of Pepsi and Wild Cherry Pepsi at £12 for 12 cans. I had to laugh at the packaging which made a point of saying "made with REAL sugar". The health nutters over here would have a field day with that.

I did get some Goober peanut butter and jelly when it was on BOGOF a couple of months back, but as nice as it is, you can't help but feel it is nothing more than clogged arteries in a jar.

UK drinks are made with real sugar aren't they?
  • Options
    Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member

I did get some Goober peanut butter and jelly when it was on BOGOF a couple of months back, but as nice as it is, you can't help but feel it is nothing more than clogged arteries in a jar.

:confused:

Of all the things you could purchase there are loads more unhealthier products out there than this. In fact, turns out it doesn't have any cholesterol: http://www.smuckers.com/products/peanut-butter/goober-pb-j/goober-grape-38

It's actually healthier than many of the Nutella brands here in terms of fat content as well.
  • Options
    td1983td1983 Posts: 2,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone tried Hershey chocolate? I tried it once and it tasted reminiscent of vomit.

I think it's quite nice once you get used to it, but it's an aquired taste, for sure. Give me a bar of Dairy Milk anyday.

American sweets are all the rage these days, there seems to be a definite trend for those. I recommend you try them, though, they are some nice surprises and treats to be found among them. Even Poundland are getting in on the act now-I bought a box of Reese's Pieces from them the other week, and I've also enjoyed a bag of Tootsie Roll minatures, Nestle's Cinnammon Crunch and also Lucky Charms too.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must have unusual tastes because I absolutely love Twinkies and root beer and meatloaf and corn dogs and Fluff, squeezey cheese, Buffalo wings, Beef Jerky, clam chowder in a bread bowl, S'mores, Peanut Butter, Tootsie Rolls, Dr Pepper, Mellow Yellow and flavoured iced tea.

Yummy!
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    td1983 wrote: »
    I think it's quite nice once you get used to it, but it's an aquired taste, for sure. Give me a bar of Dairy Milk anyday.

American sweets are all the rage these days, there seems to be a definite trend for those. I recommend you try them, though, they are some nice surprises and treats to be found among them. Even Poundland are getting in on the act now-I bought a box of Reese's Pieces from them the other week, and I've also enjoyed a bag of Tootsie Roll minatures, Nestle's Cinnammon Crunch and also Lucky Charms too.

My sister send sweets from America every Christmas, but they just seem to be pure sugar, but her American family love our British sweets.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mythica wrote: »
    UK drinks are made with real sugar aren't they?

He's talking about Pepsi Throwback which is made with real cane sugar rather than refined. That's how they used to make it when it first came out.
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last time I was in America the local Walmart had a similar British food section with stuff like Irn Bru and Heinz baked beans at stupid prices.

How much?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    He's talking about Pepsi Throwback which is made with real cane sugar rather than refined. That's how they used to make it when it first came out.

Yeah I know, the comment still doesn't make much sense though as our drinks are made with real sugar aren't they?
  • Options
    attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the sweet shop in my town they sell gigantic double Oreos & American breakfast cereals, all of which have more fat content in one bowl than a pukka pie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I know, the comment still doesn't make much sense though as our drinks are made with real sugar aren't they?

Nope course not. It's refined crap sugar. If it was real sugar it wouldn't be quite as bad for you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member

It's the strapline that I find amusing. It's akin in the UK for Mr Kipling to portray his exceedingly good cakes as "made from REAL lard".
  • Options
    shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i dont like american food there idea of flavor is sugar
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    american chocate is different cos of the usa climate .........

oreo cookies have appeared in uk supermarkets only in the last few years

Oreo's are the ones I really don't get. I appreciate people have different tastes but is there any real appeal to these other than that they're big in America and people seem a little obsessed with the place.

As far as I'm concerned they're a costly, sub-standard take on the classic bourbon biscuit. I can't be alone in feeling this way?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i dont like american food there idea of flavor is sugar

As compared to our idea of Flavour? Lol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3sweet5u wrote: »
    Never understood the fascination with lucky charms. They're basically Cheerio's with chopped up marshmellow

They also used to be pretty standard when I was a kid and didn't cost much. Might have been an imitation cereal and not the actual Lucky Charms product but I distinctly remember my favourite had loads of sweetened marshmallow type things in it?
  • Options
    shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As compared to our idea of Flavour? Lol.

there stuff tastes bland its like they add extra sugar is to make up for the lack of flavor
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there stuff tastes bland its like they add extra sugar is to make up for the lack of flavor

Are you American?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope course not. It's refined crap sugar. If it was real sugar it wouldn't be quite as bad for you.

Where is the evidence of this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where is the evidence of this?

Of what?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of what?

That it's not real sugar.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of what?

Apparently you have to justify yourself with any statement these days :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That it's not real sugar.

Oh geez. Is it that hard? Pepsi Throwback is made with natural sugar direct from the plant. Most soft drinks are made from the refined sugar which is akin to the stuff you find in a packet of sugar which is what causes obesity.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the Hersheys almond Kisses - are they available in the UK yet?
    And, my American pals intro'd me to these bloody delicious snacks, they are flavoured pieces of pretzels, very richly flavoured.

http://www.snydersofhanover.com/products/pretzel-pieces.html

My local Tesco stocks the Jalapeño, Buffalo Wing, and Honey Onion something. First two are absolutely divine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh geez. Is it that hard? Pepsi Throwback is made with natural sugar direct from the plant. Most soft drinks are made from the refined sugar which is akin to the stuff you find in a packet of sugar which is what causes obesity.

I asked where the evidence of this was, not another statement.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BlackGrass wrote: »
    They also used to be pretty standard when I was a kid and didn't cost much. Might have been an imitation cereal and not the actual Lucky Charms product but I distinctly remember my favourite had loads of sweetened marshmallow type things in it?
    Lucky Charms were available in the UK years ago, priced the same as any other cereal.