Options

Talksport Chat (Part 12)

Comments

• Options
    IndependenceIndependence Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    Also did not the great Ronnie Irani get the heave-ho for telling a few porkies.
  • Options
    Billy244Billy244 Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5Live not covering the Tour? PMSL they've only had live commentary from 11 AM on 5Live then commentary on the last hour or so on 5LSX... so nothing much really. I think it is disgraceful! instead of covering the event with live commentary, they would have been far better having 2 blokes in the studio who know nothing about the event talking inanely about it! 5Live, you missed a trick... TS style Tour coverage is the way to go!

I think you'll find Steve if you read my earlier post again it clearly says BBC Radio 5 are covering live the final sections of stage 2 of the Harrogate to Sheffield run, they obviously are unable to cover the whole stage today as they are also live broadcasting the men's tennis final from Wimbledon plus the British Grand Prix live from Silvertone. (Yeh Lewisssssssssssssss) :):):)

In answer to Difference no one has said talkSPORT are not giving out periodic updates on Wimbledon and the bike race and the British Grand Prix, I guess updates are fine for all those not really bothered too much about tennis, formula one and the cycle tour but for the fans of these sports, or some of these sports which is my case it's an absolute no brainer what to have listened to today, for all others they will have kept themselves happy overdosing on football listening to talkSPORT.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    As I said in a post last night, this Adrian Durham character has been described as a "broadcasting troll" in no lesser esteemed publication than The Guardian newspaper, which accuses him of trying to wind up callers and opinion to simply gain negative reaction.

I had not even heard of Bouchard until about a month ago. When I saw her I thought she looked like a champion in the making. Almost proved amazingly rapid too, bar one match today. With Robson I don't get that instinctive vibe about her.

I am so glad a reputable newspaper writer has finally written something in a newspaper like the Guardian saying what he has about Durham, Adrian Durham and his antics on Drivetime are nothing short of a disgrace, he disgraces himself and he disgraces the radio station and I just can't understand how Arsenal football club have not yet banned talkSPORT and all its staff from entering their ground or doing interviews while he's stopped.
  • Options
    notinquestionnotinquestion Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    CorbynDallas

I commend Fishermans Blues sir

It would offer advice on casting poorly baited hooks at the more descerning fish on here. Cant knock a trier though.........

On the subject of tennis, and not weilding my own rod, I do find it ironic that a sport so fortified within it's bastion of elitist isolation for 50 weeks of the year, assumes itself of collective national inclusion for the remaining 2 - as a sport it is a dog with fleas, a non event and fails to register on the psyche of the masses, just as it will want it again from tomorrow morning.

WC coverage - I have been broadly impressed with the TS effort. Of course, the usual suspects have stunk the airways but I have found a general balance between the light hearted and informative well considered. H and J have been brilliant by I concede I am a fan....

Right, time for a rant - can someone please tell me what Gough the oxygen thief or the odious Cork have to offer? I am no fan of Colin (Warnock for the uninitiated) either but Cork is just grotesque - is there a required uptake quota of ex cricketing flotsum?

On a roll now ;)

Generally speaking and to use a Hawksbeeism, I would add to the envelope of Gough, Cork and Colin - Colin Murray: crud, JV: self important jibberish, Bingham: loathsome, Quinn: IQ of a pineapple and Goldstein: well being Goldstein suffices surely?

I am rather impressed with Brian Moore, Tim Vickery and the late night chap whose name escapes me, from the more recent contributors.

Best ever show chaps?

For me Football First In Europe - a magnificent show that died too young

Right I have said far too much for an initial opinion, best I withdraw to lurkage again.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thats about 10 times now I heard the 'sound-bite' about "Tim Krul " >:(

and the thread WUM says keep it tS ..............

Jesus Wept :(

Ever heard the word "irony" mister?, get someone to explain it to you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another well crafted post Mr Difference.

Billy hates something about the station (a station he can't stop listening to)? I must've missed that post of his... :D:D:D:D

Can you two please get a room it's getting embarrassing now. ;-)
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Billy244 wrote: »
    I am so glad a reputable newspaper writer has finally written something in a newspaper like the Guardian saying what he has about Durham, Adrian Durham and his antics on Drivetime are nothing short of a disgrace, he disgraces himself and he disgraces the radio station and I just can't understand how Arsenal football club have not yet banned talkSPORT and all its staff from entering their ground or doing interviews while he's stopped.

It's great fun to guess beforehand what Dungham will be negative about (other than Arsenal of course)

Hint: Any sportsman who has had an outstanding year or win you can just about guarantee Dungham will go negative about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh god the press pass morons are back spouting the same old shite about Rooney being world class and you need to build a team around Rooney.

Is it no wonder England are so so so crap?

I think the time is well nigh that everyone should now know Rooney is not world class and neither are any of the rest of that squad that went out to Brazil, world class players shine out at the biggest tournaments not one single one did of ours and they haven't for several of our other last few world cups. Yes we have some very promising youngsters at the moment, very very promising but right now we have not one world class player representing us and I won't even put in my view either because it's a simple straight forward regrettable fact.
    I suppose presenters and pundits have to talk about something on this station with it being blanket football so they say anything most of the time to gain responses.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's great fun to guess beforehand what Dungham will be negative about (other than Arsenal of course)

Hint: Any sportsman who has had an outstanding year or win you can just about guarantee Dungham will go negative about.

He's such a wind-up merchant he even wrote a book entitled "Is He All That?" :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CorbynDallas

It would offer advice on casting poorly baited hooks at the more descerning fish on here. Cant knock a trier though.........

On the subject of tennis, and not weilding my own rod, I do find it ironic that a sport so fortified within it's bastion of elitist isolation for 50 weeks of the year, assumes itself of collective national inclusion for the remaining 2 - as a sport it is a dog with fleas, a non event and fails to register on the psyche of the masses, just as it will want it again from tomorrow morning.

WC coverage - I have been broadly impressed with the TS effort. Of course, the usual suspects have stunk the airways but I have found a general balance between the light hearted and informative well considered. H and J have been brilliant by I concede I am a fan....

Right, time for a rant - can someone please tell me what Gough the oxygen thief or the odious Cork have to offer? I am no fan of Colin (Warnock for the uninitiated) either but Cork is just grotesque - is there a required uptake quota of ex cricketing flotsum?

On a roll now ;)

Generally speaking and to use a Hawksbeeism, I would add to the envelope of Gough, Cork and Colin - Colin Murray: crud, JV: self important jibberish, Bingham: loathsome, Quinn: IQ of a pineapple and Goldstein: well being Goldstein suffices surely?

I am rather impressed with Brian Moore, Tim Vickery and the late night chap whose name escapes me, from the more recent contributors.

Best ever show chaps?

Right I have said far too much for an initial opinion, best I withdraw to lurkage again.....

I think your being terribly harsh on pineapples there but know what you mean.

PS..
    Great post!.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also did not the great Ronnie Irani get the heave-ho for telling a few porkies.

I think you might mean this one.

His final words on the Breakfast Show.
    http://bit.ly/1ozmvrv
  • Options
    HANDJFANHANDJFAN Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the time is well nigh that everyone should now know Rooney is not world class and neither are any of the rest of that squad that went out to Brazil, world class players shine out at the biggest tournaments not one single one did of ours and they haven't for several of our other last few world cups. Yes we have some very promising youngsters at the moment, very very promising but right now we have not one world class player representing us and I won't even put in my view either because it's a simple straight forward regrettable fact.
    Hold on a second, Micky Quinn insists that Steven Gerrard is the greatest player in the history of the world. He must be world-class...not that I've heard him lately or would ever listen to him again by choice, I'm just assuming he's still spectacularly biased and blinkered.

It's totally impossible from my perspective to disagree with what you've said, and I'm afraid I greatly overestimated England's chances in my predictions! The worst thing for England in this tournament is that they should forget about all that 'Group of Death' nonsense, we now know that this group wasn't that great. I suspected beforehand that Italy weren't all that strong, and we know now that they aren't because they went out in the group stages. That puts England's 'promising display' against them into perspective! And Uruguay are far from special either, England essentially left the one player who can make a difference for them unmarked twice and that was that.

They're not very good, and they ain't going to be much better in two years' time. They're lucky that the Euros are being extended to 32 teams because they might get an easier group (assuming that they qualify). I'm no football tactician or coach, but I know if you say to your team when they play England "get behind the ball quickly, defend deep, don't let them run behind and defend the flanks in numbers, don't let them cross the ball, make them play through you" then England haven't got a clue what to do. Not one clue.
  • Options
    Joe19Joe19 Posts: 1,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh god the press pass morons are back spouting the same old shite about Rooney being world class and you need to build a team around Rooney.

Is it no wonder England are so so so crap?

Sadly, Des Kelly wasn't presenting as usual, the quality drops when he isn't there.
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a question (yes, really, I know I'm usually such a know-it-all on here ;-)) that hopefully regular listeners to Colin Murray's show will be able to answer. It's the one weekday programme I very rarely get a chance to hear.

Has Justin Moorhouse become a regular co-host on Murray & Friends? He's certainly been part of the panel on a few shows recently, I think he's mostly done Thursdays and Fridays (he was certainly in the schedule for Friday of last week). Or is this just a summer thing with various people being away? I know people like Jim Proudfoot and Ray Parlour have been part of Murray's panel in recent weeks, which I'm sure will be due to them wanting to have an input from talkSPORT's team in Brazil and won't be a permanent thing.

But if Moorhouse's involvement isn't purely a temporary thing during the World Cup, I'd presume he won't be on the programme during August due to his Edinburgh Festival show (which I saw when I went up there a number of years back - very good it was too), but it'll be interesting to see what happens from September onwards.

Can somebody remind me of what the current line-up of Murray's co-hosts is? I know Stuart Pearce replaced Brian Moore on the Monday panel when Moore took over from Andrew McKenna as Full Contact host in the spring, but with Pearce going back into football management and McKenna having mentioned on Twitter that the plan is for him to return to the Full Contact presenters' chair when that show returns in September, I guess Moore will be returning to the Monday morning panel sooner rather than later.

Danny Murphy, due to his BBC TV co-commentary and punditry work during the World Cup, is another panellist who hasn't been heard on talkSPORT during June to the best of my knowledge. Given the very positive reception his BBC stints have received, it'll be interesting to see if he returns to Murray & Friends and is able to fit it around an increasing number of stints on Match of the Day during the new club football season.
  • Options
    VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you might mean this one.

His final words on the Breakfast Show.
    http://bit.ly/1ozmvrv

Thanks for posting those Billy, reminds me of the time when we had much more fun on here, Irani was such a target, hoisted by his own petard at the end, inevitable.

His replacement Cork the Dork is worse though, no sign of fun, no sense of irony and thinks he is funneee ... who would have thought that worse than Irani existed, but TS have a great Human Resources Department, if you dig deep enough you will always unearth sh**te .. :o
  • Options
    CorbynDallasCorbynDallas Posts: 821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CorbynDallas

Best ever show chaps?

Hi notinquestion,

What a great post about Talksport.

I have to agree I think Fisherman's Blues is a fine show but I am rarely up that early on the weekend.

I also agree with your excellent assesment of Talksport's world cup coverage, it has been impressive and they have done it all with much less budget and many many less staff than the bloated broadcasting corporation funded by YOUR taxes.

I will remind everyone that Talksport charge NOTHING, that's right they are FREE to listen too and you where else can you get great quality for a price of ZERO?

You are right Brian Moore and Tim Vickery are great contributors to Talksport and all the past shows were fine but I am happy with the current set up too.

Am I easy to please? Well no, I am critical when I think it is appropriate. You have heard my views on H&J but it is a minor fraction of a chink in Talksport's mighty armour at the moment.

Great way to introduce yourself on this forum and keep posting buddie:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Venetian wrote: »
    Thanks for posting those Billy, reminds me of the time when we had much more fun on here, Irani was such a target, hoisted by his own petard at the end, inevitable.

His replacement Cork the Dork is worse though, no sign of fun, no sense of irony and thinks he is funneee ... who would have thought that worse than Irani existed, but TS have a great Human Resources Department, if you dig deep enough you will always unearth sh**te .. :o

I miss the halycon days of Ronnie 'Gadget Biryani' Irani alongside Alan Brazil on the Talksport Sports Breakfast but I see Dominic Cork as the most suited heir to his mighty crown.

If they did go down the route of having one presenter I think it would have to be Corkie to maintain the balance of great banter and sporting knowledge that the two presenters can share.

However, I will concede that I wouldn't mind too much if either Neil Warnock or Ray Parlour had the job full time.

Ray Stubbs was also great this morning. Did anyone catch him?

Jason Cundy is in for Adrian Durham on Drive this afternoon but Adrian Durham is back tomorrow.

Great debate on Drive just now about Manchester Utd under Van Gaal next season. I can't wait for the Premier League to start again!:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe19 wrote: »
    Sadly, Des Kelly wasn't presenting as usual, the quality drops when he isn't there.

I think The Press Pass is a great show and I enjoyed the Rooney debate yesterday but I do agree that Des Kelly anchors the show wonderfully. Can't wait until he is back:)
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 55,014
    Forum Member
    Do World class players only score 1 goal in 3 World Cups?

Rooney might just be another who is excellent for club and in qualifying games but not quite able to make the step up when it matters..

TBF I do actually think he is one of the players who do want to do well and try to make and effort.
  • Options
    jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    Hi notinquestion,

I also agree with your excellent assesment of Talksport's world cup coverage, it has been impressive and they have done it all with much less budget and many many less staff than the bloated broadcasting corporation funded by YOUR taxes.)

What you mean 'your taxes' ? Are you cash-in-hand.
  • Options
    notinquestionnotinquestion Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    CorbynDallas

That really is the most rancid bait, presented upon a rusty size two and suspended from curly 6lb line; but I have taken it ;)

That Drive show tonight was not car crash radio, it was a sequence of pile ups, from the first to last breath

Actually it got me thinking on two counts

1/ Do the hosts attract like minded numbnut callers? Is there a correlation? Was tonight

And

2/ Just how many ways are there to pronounce the name Tim Krul? Be Jeebus the collective fruitloops phoning in appeared to be having a compo on variation, with the added benefit of stutters, stammers and labotomies.
  • Options
    old oakold oak Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I miss the halycon days of Ronnie 'Gadget Biryani' Irani alongside Alan Brazil on the Talksport Sports Breakfast but I see Dominic Cork as the most suited heir to his mighty crown.

If they did go down the route of having one presenter I think it would have to be Corkie to maintain the balance of great banter and sporting knowledge that the two presenters can share.

However, I will concede that I wouldn't mind too much if either Neil Warnock or Ray Parlour had the job full time.

Ray Stubbs was also great this morning. Did anyone catch him?

Jason Cundy is in for Adrian Durham on Drive this afternoon but Adrian Durham is back tomorrow.

Great debate on Drive just now about Manchester Utd under Van Gaal next season. I can't wait for the Premier League to start again!:)

Can't wait for Div 1 season to start more likely but then again maybe not the way you finished last season :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WOT a weekend for British sport that was, a five set thriller in the men's Wimbledon tennis final, brit Lewis Hamilton coming from 6th on the grid to win the British Grand Prix at Silverstone, watched every single lap and was absolutely thrilled for him, great that the points deficit off Nico Rosberg is now down to only four points from what had begun earlier in the day twenty nine points and of course the Tour de France coming through the heart of Yorkshire with the police themselves saying around two and a half million people out on the streets cheering them through. :):):)

So this morning at 5.55am I eagerly switched on me little portable FM/AM Sony radio as I mountain biked up and down the tow paths of the Sheffield And South Yorkshire Navigation Canal nice and early on a beautifully sunny July morning to hear what talkSPORT, the biggest sports radio station in the entire whole world had to say on everything that had happened over the weekend. Basically I guess I was just wanting to sample some of this comprehensive sports coverage a few people on here have suggested happens so on it went on and on came Ray(yawn)Stubbs and Neil(Colin)Warnock.

Ray [yawn] was straight into it bless him with some talkSPORT comprehensive discussion, ...... http://bit.ly/1rIOSXJ
  • Options
    JayDee279JayDee279 Posts: 3,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised you didn't suggest Stuart Hall.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WOT a weekend for British sport that was, a five set thriller in the men's Wimbledon tennis final, brit Lewis Hamilton coming from 6th on the grid to win the British Grand Prix at Silverstone, watched every single lap and was absolutely thrilled for him, great that the points deficit off Nico Rosberg is now down to only four points from what had begun earlier in the day twenty nine points and of course the Tour de France coming through the heart of Yorkshire with the police themselves saying around two and a half million people out on the streets cheering them through. :):):)

So this morning at 5.55am I eagerly switched on me little portable FM/AM Sony radio as I mountain biked up and down the tow paths of the Sheffield And South Yorkshire Navigation Canal nice and early on a beautifully sunny July morning to hear what talkSPORT, the biggest sports radio station in the entire whole world had to say on everything that had happened over the weekend. Basically I guess I was just wanting to sample some of this comprehensive sports coverage a few people on here have suggested happens so on it went on and on came Ray(yawn)Stubbs and Neil(Colin)Warnock.

Ray [yawn] was straight into it bless him with some talkSPORT comprehensive discussion, ...... http://bit.ly/1rIOSXJ

Billy, this sums up the problem with Talksport in a nutshell doesn't it. This is also why there are people out here, like me, who are lovers of multiple sports themselves, who simply cannot abide the tunnel vision this station has 95% of the time with ONE particular sport. How they manage to sustain a never ending 24 hour cycle day in day out prattling on about much the same thing escapes me.

Why can Talksport not have dedicated sports shows on at a certain time of day, or week, specifically about particular sports, so that the listener can actively decide to tune in and know what they are likely to hear. Turning on a show like Extra Time, and hearing that they will talk about tennis for example, only to have to wade through 90 minutes of footy chat to finally get to what ends up a 3 minute item is just not worth the bother. You can never really tell when they are going to discuss anything in particular, unless it is....you guessed it.

I've currently got just a touch under 15,000 miles on my mountain bike cycle computer, mostly from the brilliant Milton Keynes "Redways" cycle system, fully red tarmacked and signposted routes all kept well away from roads. I rarely ride with a headset though, and never would with Talksport. I want to lower my blood pressure through biking, not raise it!

Crowds at the Tour de France in East Of England were rather impressive I thought. Not having listened I do not know if Talksport ended up doing the Tour in England justice with its coverage?

As for the World Cup, everyone knows this is going to be an all South American final with Brazil winning, surely? It's written in the stars!!
This discussion has been closed.