Options

What is so wrong about driving in the middle lane at 70mph

Comments

• Options
    AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    All that post says to me is, the person can't be bothered to abide by the rules because they get tiresome and they have a problem changing lanes, oh and are envious of those in prestige/performance cars and something about a small prick, well jealousy isn't an excuse to lane hog.

Envious? :confused: Irritated and concerned about the fact these fast, pushy drivers are putting other peoples' lives in danger, more like!

Some people are not so shallow that they need an expensive shiny car to feel happy! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't it illegal to drive under 40 mph on a motorway? (non driver, so couldn't Give A Shit) also I think you'll find it's quicker to use both slow & middle lane (while within speed limits) to get to your destination rather than some **** doing 90 for a bit catching up to others slowing way down as they have now all bunched up together, & here you come sitting pretty n steady at 70.

Happy Driving.
  • Options
    MonsterMunch99MonsterMunch99 Posts: 2,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clearly, lots of people are driving on the wrong roads as frequently I am on dual carriageways and motorways where the traffic is light enough to happily sit on cruise control at 70mph in the left hand lane, occasionally pulling out to overtake.

I worry that people struggle with this. It's just basic road sense, surely, to judge whether, having pulled out into an overtaking lane, it is better to sit in that lane or to pull back in? It simply depends on what is coming up in the left hand lane and what is behind you. If there is another car to overtake, stay where you are. If you are holding people up or there is nothing left to overtake, pull over. Easy.

Sitting in the middle lane without reason is poor and inconsiderate driving, for all the shoddy excuses people are coming out with. "It's safer", "it's easier", "it reduces wear on my leather steering wheel" blah blah crappy driving blah. If this is too hard then get off the road. It's the same type of people who sit at 10mph below NSL and then proceed to go through 30mph zones in villages at exactly the same speed.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing as many seem to have missed it, this link was posted several pages back which clearly shows what most people are talking about when they refer to MLH's. Pretty clear imo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AGzWyOChnQ
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    AnnieBaker wrote: »
    Envious? :confused: Irritated and concerned about the fact these fast, pushy drivers are putting other peoples' lives in danger, more like!

Some people are not so shallow that they need an expensive shiny car to feel happy! :)
    They are just poor excuses for those who have the inability to do basic maneuvers on a motorway - wait for a gap then mirror, signal maneuver. ;-)

Even with the motorways full of incompetent and speeding drivers they are the safest roads to drive on, so your analogy that these fast, pushy drivers are putting lives at risk and motorways are a dangerous place to be don't add up.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I worry that people struggle with this. It's just basic road sense, surely, to judge whether, having pulled out into an overtaking lane, it is better to sit in that lane or to pull back in? It simply depends on what is coming up in the left hand lane and what is behind you. If there is another car to overtake, stay where you are. If you are holding people up or there is nothing left to overtake, pull over. Easy.
    Quoted for truth. I don't know why some people are trying to make things so difficult. I imagine a lack of driving ability is the main reason.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Quoted for truth. I don't know why some people are trying to make things so difficult. I imagine a lack of driving ability is the main reason.

I'm slightly embarrassed because it looks to me that 90% of those showing signs of difficulty coping with motorway driving are male. :D
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clearly, lots of people are driving on the wrong roads as frequently I am on dual carriageways and motorways where the traffic is light enough to happily sit on cruise control at 70mph in the left hand lane, occasionally pulling out to overtake.
    And if you're not paying to much attention to the exit signs (perhaps you know yours is still a couple of hours away), you will frequently end up in a left filter land and on a different motorway!
    I worry that people struggle with this.... If you are holding people up or there is nothing left to overtake, pull over. Easy.
    And I worry that people just blindly follow some rule in a book without taking account of each situation.

How desirable is it, really, to be behind a big HGV on the inside line, where you have no idea of what's immediately ahead of it? And which you are approaching at 20+ mph if still at your middle lane speed. Furthermore, if you do need to moderate your speed because there is no overtaking opportunity, to have a massive HGV right behind you (which they tend to do)? As they can make a nasty dent if you have to stop sharply.

What I'm saying is that cars and lorries don't mix.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    And if you're not paying to much attention to the exit signs (perhaps you know yours is still a couple of hours away), you will frequently end up in a left filter land and on a different motorway!
    If you're not paying attention to road, missing a turning or taking one incorrectly will be the least of your problems.
    And I worry that people just blindly follow some rule in a book without taking account of each situation.

How desirable is it, really, to be behind a big HGV on the inside line, where you have no idea of what's immediately ahead of it? And which you are approaching at 20+ mph if still at your middle lane speed. Furthermore, if you do need to moderate your speed because there is no overtaking opportunity, to have a massive HGV right behind you (which they tend to do)? As they can make a nasty dent if you have to stop sharply.
    If you're a competent driver, looking at the road conditions, being aware of what's in front of you, behind you and to the side of you, why would you end up in lane 1 hurtling towards an HGV? Either you wouldn't pull into lane 1 if there is already a slow-driving HGV in it or if you're in lane 1 and fast approaching a slow-moving HGV, you'd have regulated your speed prior to driving right up behind it.

What you've outlined is the driving behaviour of an incompetent driver.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Probably best you pay attention then.

I haven't said to blindly follow a some rule in a book. I'm saying people should use their judgement, and, if that is too difficult, don't drive on motorways.

HGV's are big. You can see them from a long way away as motorways don't tend to have tight corners on them. It's pretty easy to spot it in the distance, and start thinking about when to pull out and overtake. If you are being surprised by the presence of a HGV "suddenly" in front of you, again, stay off the motorways. Even if you do have to slow down for a short time to find an overtaking gap, that's hardly the end of the world. The alternative of just sticking in the middle lane regardless is, again, just bad driving.
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,638
    Forum Member
    I cannot believe this thread has got past 20 pages, it's law that you shouldn't be in the middle lane unless you're overtaking slower moving traffic on the inside lane, how hard is that to understand Highway Code which states.

You should always drive in the left-hand lane when the road ahead is clear. If you are overtaking a number of slower-moving vehicles, you should return to the left-hand lane as soon as you are safely past. Slow-moving or speed-restricted vehicles should always remain in the left-hand lane of the carriageway unless overtaking. You MUST NOT drive on the hard shoulder except in an emergency or if directed to do so by the police, HA traffic officers in uniform or by signs.

https://www.gov.uk/motorways-253-to-273/lane-discipline-264-to-266

Plus no such thing as a slow lane & fast lane as all lanes are 70mph, some FMs need to take a motorway driving test.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Cars and incompetent drivers don't mix, and just to balance it, that goes for trucks too.

If a driver finds themselves in an undesirable situation then surely that's down to their bad judgement? I certainly never find myself in these situations, neither does my Mrs when they drive.

I know others can have an influence sometimes and put you in a position you would not normally put yourself, but that doesn't happen to everyone or every minute you're on the motorway, if it does, I would be looking at the car driver and the manner in which they were driving.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    If you're not paying attention to road, missing a turning or taking one incorrectly will be the least of your problems.

If you're a competent driver, looking at the road conditions, being aware of what's in front of you, behind you and to the side of you, why would you end up in lane 1 hurtling towards an HGV? Either you wouldn't pull into lane 1 if there is already a slow-driving HGV in it or if you're in lane 1 and fast approaching a slow-moving HGV, you'd have regulated your speed prior to driving right up behind it.

Well, quite.

Frankly, someone arguing to drive in a particular manner that is both contrary to the HIghway Code and inconvenient to other drivers, simply because they admit they don't pay attention when driving, is staggering when you think about it.

The MLH argument seems to boil down to: "When I get onto a motorway, I don't want to have to pay attention to what's going on around me, I don't want to have to anticipate situations or plan my driving. I want to sit in the middle lane and surely it's fine for me to do so because I'm doing <= 70mph."

I really don't think these guys realise how much they are emabarrassing themselves. :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You might not bother much with direction and exit signs if you know you will be on the same motorway for next 300 miles. That's not the same as being inattentive to actual physical dangers.

(The M25 I think it is that does that a lot, varying between 2, 3 and 4 lanes. Safest place to be is second lane from the right. Coincidentally, the middle lane of a 3-lane carriageway...)

I've outlined nothing of the sort. I've pointed out that being behind a car is generally preferable to being behind a lorry (since you can see past, or through, the car, and your speeds are more likely to be matched).

If you have moved from an 80mph speed in the middle lane, to a big gap between two lorries, then you will eventually close on the lorry in front. Traffic conditions may be such that you might be stuck there for a while. If that situation is then compounded by a lorry behind getting too close, what incompetence has been demonstrated? That you were an idiot for getting out of the middle lane in the first place? The whole thread is arguing the opposite!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You might not bother much with direction and exit signs if you know you will be on the same motorway for next 300 miles. That's not the same as being inattentive to actual physical dangers.

(The M25 I think it is that does that a lot, varying between 2, 3 and 4 lanes. Safest place to be is second lane from the right. Coincidentally, the middle lane of a 3-lane carriageway...)

I've outlined nothing of the sort. I've pointed out that being behind a car is generally preferable to being behind a lorry (since you can see past, or through, the car, and your speeds are more likely to be matched).

If you have moved from an 80mph speed in the middle lane, to a big gap between two lorries, then you will eventually close on the lorry in front. Traffic conditions may be such that you might be stuck there for a while. If that situation is then compounded by a lorry behind getting too close, what incompetence has been demonstrated? That you were an idiot for getting out of the middle lane in the first place? The whole thread is arguing the opposite!

Hahahaha, there's no point even replying to you if you believe this.

You should pay attention to everything, you're on the motorway, you deal with what it throws at you.

It's basically people who are too lazy, too scared, or don't understand the rules of the road and why they're in place.

Ignorant morons.

Edit: If you're doing 80mph, in the middle lane, I can guarentee that you won't be cruising, because you'll be coming up to people doing 70-75 alot.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Corkhead. wrote: »
    <snipped as it's a long post>
    The trouble with driving in the left hand lane is that it is invariably taken up by significantly slower moving vehicles such as coaches, lorries, caravans and so on. This means that anybody in an average car such as a family saloon, who is using the inside lane and wants to get anywhere quickly, would have to frequently move out into the middle lane, overtake, then move back in again.

It's a simple manoeuvre, but one that becomes quite tiresome after a while and apart from that, it's not always that easy to even get out into the middle lane because of all the flash tossers in Audis and Mercs who are already hogging it.

Tough. Driving correctly takes a bit of effort.
    The problem is the aggressive speed merchant in his substitute penis who has taken a unilateral decision to drive faster than the law allows (and is probably a highly vociferous opponent of speed cameras to boot) and will brook no interference from an individual in a sneeringly inferior vehicle. Mr Mercedes' idea of hell on earth is to be stuck behind a Polo.

He's got a fast car and hey, what's the point of having a motor that can do 120 MPH without breaking sweat if you don't drive at that speed, eh..? He's paid for speed and his motoring orgasm is totally dependent on being able to use it to the max.

So.... everybody.... get out of Flash Harry's way. He owns the road. it's his personal property.

And if anybody is going to hog the middle lane...... it's him.
    If Flash Harry (and I'm not one) wants to get past you, what's it to ya? It's not going to ruin your day!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bart I think you are confusing them, bless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, it's not. Nobody has advocated that people absolutely must pull into the left if there is a gap, simply that people should pull in if appropriate to avoid causing an obstruction.

How far can you see up the road on a motorway at any one time? A couple of miles at most, perhaps. If you overtake a lorry and you can see nothing in the distance, then yes, you probably should pull in.

If, however, you can see something else that you are catching, then it's a judgement call based on how quickly you are catching that vehicle and how much traffic is in the overtaking lanes. Pretty simple.

Yes, you may, at some point, have to reduce your speed a tad if you can't immediately pull into an overtaking lane, but why is this a problem?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cars and incompetent drivers don't mix, and just to balance it, that goes for trucks too.

If a driver finds themselves in an undesirable situation then surely that's down to their bad judgement? I certainly never find myself in these situations, neither does my Mrs when they drive.

You've never been stuck behind a lorry? I don't believe that. Unless you both only started driving last week.

When you have lane one dominated by HGVs averaging 55mph, and lane two dominate by cars averaging 20mph faster, and you take the majority advice in this thread of making use of any big enough gaps in lane one, then getting stuck there is a distinct possibility.

To my mind however, staying put in the middle lane, in the correct traffic stream for your speed (so relative speeds between cars are small), is much safer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've never been stuck behind a lorry? I don't believe that. Unless you both only started driving last week.

When you have lane one dominated by HGVs averaging 55mph, and lane two dominate by cars averaging 20mph faster, and you take the majority advice in this thread of making use of any big enough gaps in lane one, then getting stuck there is a distinct possibility.

To my mind however, staying put in the middle lane, in the correct traffic stream for your speed (so relative speeds between cars are small), is much safer.

You see a lorry in the distance that you are catching. This will not be a surprise as motorways are typically long and straight and you can see plenty far into the distance. You look for and, if necessary, wait for a suitable gap in the overtaking lane. If you plan sufficiently in advance you will not need to reduce your speed for this. If you do, so what?

You overtake. You look to see if there is anything else to overtake. If so, stay in overtaking lane. If not, pull back in.

I still fail to see why this is in any way difficult.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's simple - driving constantly in the middle lane obstructs traffic. Positioning yourself there means there is only one lane left for other vehicles to pass you. If you did the sensible thing and used the LH lane (moving out to overtake when necessary), there would be two passing lanes and traffic would flow better.
    I know you are going to say people should not be driving over the speed limit, but it is not your job to police the motorways, thank you very much.
  • Options
    Forum Member

So you have moved from the middle lane to a big gap on the inside lane doing 80mph.

You are closing in on a lorry at a rate of 25-30mph.

You are also moving ahead of the lorry behind at 25-30mph.

You have caught the lorry up.

The lorry behind has strangely caught you up.

I'd have to say you should have reacted quicker to get back out to the middle lane.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hahahaha, there's no point even replying to you if you believe this.

You should pay attention to everything, you're on the motorway, you deal with what it throws at you.
    Why do you need to read direction signs that do not apply to you, rather than concentrate on more important matters?
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    It's simple - driving constantly in the middle lane obstructs traffic. Positioning yourself there means there is only one lane left for other vehicles to pass you. If you did the sensible thing and used the LH lane (moving out to overtake when necessary), there would be two passing lanes and traffic would flow better.
    I know you are going to say people should not be driving over the speed limit, but it is not your job to police the motorways, thank you very much.

QFT but it'll fall on deaf ears I'm afraid. Many people have said the same thing and there has been a video posted twice showing exactly what is being talked about but the MLH's will continue to come on and defend themselves and claim everyone else is wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you have moved from the middle lane to a big gap on the inside lane doing 80mph.

You are closing in on a lorry at a rate of 25-30mph.

You are also moving ahead of the lorry behind at 25-30mph.

You have caught the lorry up.

The lorry behind has strangely caught you up.

I'd have to say you should have reacted quicker to get back out to the middle lane.

Good God, I do think it might be time to give up. :o