Options

Are you an organ donor?

contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
Forum Member
✭✭✭
If not why?

Also is it true that in the black and asian communities donation rates are shockingly low?

Comments

• Options
    ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    contrarian wrote: »
    If not why?
    I'm still using them.
    Also is it true that in the black and asian communities donation rates are shockingly low?
    Oh, go on then, I'll bite...

I don't know - can you give some figures?
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,283
    Forum Member
    If not why?

Rude and stereotypical enough?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ianx wrote: »
    I'm still using them.

Oh, go on then, I'll bite...

I don't know - can you give some figures?

I heard it on 5 live this morning. A lady who was married to a black man said so. Her husband had died and donated but his family never spoke to the lady again. She said and so did the presenter that rates for black and asians was shockingly low. Hence my question.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I heard it on 5 live this morning. A lady who was married to a black man said so. Her husband had died and donated but his family never spoke to the lady again. She said and so did the presenter that rates for black and asians was shockingly low. Hence my question.
    Again, without the actual figures it's hard to offer any meaningful comment.

In most cases the ethnicity of the donor shouldn't matter, but in some cases there is more likelihood of a blood or tissue match with someone of the same ethnic background. It may be that people in the Black and Asian communities are having to spend longer on the waiting list for a match if there are fewer compatible organs available.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ianx wrote: »
    Again, without the actual figures it's hard to offer any meaningful comment.

In most cases the ethnicity of the donor shouldn't matter, but in some cases there is more likelihood of a blood or tissue match with someone of the same ethnic background. It may be that people in the Black and Asian communities are having to spend longer on the waiting list for a match if there are fewer compatible organs available.

only 0.3% of those on the NHS Organ Donor Register are black. Indeed, the relative refusal rate for black people is 71%, compared to 35% for white people (UKT Potential Donor Audit 2003-2005).

http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/campaigns/other_campaigns/black/research.asp
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    No im not
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. When I am dead I don't need them.

Carry my Organ Donation card in my wallet and my family are well aware if my wishes.
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    yes. even eyes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Yes I am. Except eyes but that's mostly because my eyesight is so bad, I don't know if I CAN. I can see alright with contacts or glasses on but without them, I can't see anything but coloured blurs.

I can't donate blood which is a shame as I'm sure I'm a rare blood type. I think it's something to do with a condition I was born with but I'm not 100%
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes I am. Except eyes but that's mostly because my eyesight is so bad, I don't know if I CAN. I can see alright with contacts or glasses on but without them, I can't see anything but coloured blurs.

I can't donate blood which is a shame as I'm sure I'm a rare blood type. I think it's something to do with a condition I was born with but I'm not 100%

I can't donate blood as I am underweight.
    I registered for bone marrow though
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here we go again, every so often this comes up. Media gets hold of a story about organ donation and then out comes the people who want to change the rules.

Wales already making a mistake that they have the right to your organs, don't make that mistake in England.

No, I am not a donor, my Organs will be not much good for anyone anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been one since I was 18; a lot of people I know say they want to but "haven't got round to it" which is why I'm for an opt out system.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    shmisk wrote: »
    I can't donate blood as I am underweight.
    I registered for bone marrow though

Ah I don't know I'm a registered bone marrow donor I'll have to check if I'm signed up.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to be on the donor list, but I'm not sure if I still am. I don't know if they would want my organs. Certainly when I offered bone marrow, I was too old - they didn't want it from anyone over 40.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It would depend on the reason for your poor eyesight. Even people who have bad eyesight or wear glasses may be able to donate their corneas, as it will often not be a problem with the cornea that is causing their problems. When my uncle died he was in his 70s and didn't have great eyesight, but they were still able to use his corneas for donation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully soon all of the UK will be a yes unless you specifically say no.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Wales already making a mistake that they have the right to your organs, don't make that mistake in England.

Why is it a mistake?

I do see what the OP means. BME people wait much longer for transplants than white people, on average, because of a lack of tissue-matched organs. Most explanations seem to focus on religion, but very few religions forbid organ donation.

To take a wild sideways leap, I remember seeing reseach showing that black children do statistically better in exams if the invigilator is also black. So I wonder whether there is a greater sense of alienation from a white-dominated establishment, that makes BME people feel less sense of ownership of the system.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    recently i facilitated a viewing of a relative who died very suddenly of a brain bleed, who was 42, with 3 kids.
    she donated all her organs.
    the viewing was actually one of the most lovely I have ever helped with. the relatives talked to me about her life, and also were very comforted she didn't look 'different' without her organs. they were really comforted that someone might live because of her 'maybe they will start to love rice and peas'.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Here we go again, every so often this comes up. Media gets hold of a story about organ donation and then out comes the people who want to change the rules.

No, I am not a donor, my Organs will be not much good for anyone anyway.

No, its not a mistake, its a truly wonderful, life saving idea.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes my late partner had CF so it's a subject I feel strongly about. Myself and my children are all happy for our organs to be used after our death.
    I can't give blood but my kids do.
    I hope England goes the same way as Wales and we can only opt out, rather than in, sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    Yes I am, although as I've now had cancer I'm not sure they'd still want them if there's even a small risk of it having spread - I never thought of that - will have to find out!
  • Options
    brewer480brewer480 Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I am and proud. I've also allowed my body to be used for scientific testing. We enjoy our advanced quality of life through science, I think it's nice to give something back and I do not need my body when I am dead.

I refuse to discuss ethnicity though, if people choose not to for religious or any other reason that is up to them!
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am, but I'm fairly certain they'll be useless by the time I'm done with them. Donating my body to science would probably make more sense.
  • Options
    Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    Yes, I did it online and I carry the card.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I said to the DVLA that I did not want no license to drive, coz I would not be fit to drive, as I am a tard, they said on their form that I had to tick a box to donate organs, as there was no box to say I did not want to donate nothing.