Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 60)

Comments

• Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burbe wrote: »
    Big figure for Question Time. Is it normally that high?

Possibly because it didn't have any politicians on it last night -clearly the way ahead for the BBC, a political programme without politicians:D
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Is there any reason why the BBC are running a 90 minute episode of Masterchef tonight? I love the show but 90 minutes is surely overkill. The 60 minute ones are long enough.
    Why not record it and then watch it in two 45-min segments (or similar)?
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Why not record it and then watch it in two 45-min segments (or similar)?

I might well do. The shows are put together in 30 minute segments anyway so it's easy to find a suitable break point. I just think that dedicating 90 minutes of primetime to Masterchef is a bit strange considering it's not the final.
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    basdfg wrote: »
    Not showing the commonwealth games on BBC1 would cause a political row with people saying its because its in Scotland its coverage is less.
    I think people are going to be surprised at some of ratings. Swimming finals could reach 6-7 million on a weekday 8pm. Some of them are likely medal hopes so I ca understand that it best to put eastenders o BBC2 at the regular time. rather than it being moved times or delayed from schedules to fit into quiet periods.

Even more important perhaps with the referendum in 2 months time. I'm sure that the Manchester Games had Prime Time BBC1 coverage as well (though it may not have been for the whole evenings). I can see 6-8m averages, with higher figures for the Athletics from Monday 28th.

It makes sense for the BBC to have BBC1 & 3 as the Games channels with BBC2 & 4 as the alternative choice for those not interested rather than chopping changing all the time. I can see this being the case for Rio as well. Whilst the Swimming & Athletics finals will be on late night/early hours of morning if the schedule is similar to London Gymnastics & Track Cycling will be in prime time which will rate well.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    basdfg wrote: »
    Not showing the commonwealth games on BBC1 would cause a political row with people saying its because its in Scotland its coverage is less.
    I think people are going to be surprised at some of ratings. Swimming finals could reach 6-7 million on a weekday 8pm. Some of them are likely medal hopes so I ca understand that it best to put eastenders o BBC2 at the regular time. rather than it being moved times or delayed from schedules to fit into quiet periods.

But the Commonwealth Games have never taken up the whole BBC One schedule so why should this year be any different. Even the Manchester games were mostly on BBC Two.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    Even more important perhaps with the referendum in 2 months time. I'm sure that the Manchester Games had Prime Time BBC1 coverage as well (though it may not have been for the whole evenings). I can see 6-8m averages, with higher figures for the Athletics from Monday 28th.
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    But the Commonwealth Games have never taken up the whole BBC One schedule so why should this year be any different. Even the Manchester games were mostly on BBC Two.

But that was a different era, before sport was in primetime on a regular basis. In 2002 we didn't have much football in primetime (the European games were, the FA Cup games were usually in the afternoon), we almost never had rugby in primetime, tennis would go into primetime on very, very rare occasions, and so on. Not the case now.

Comparing now to Manchester twelve years ago doesn't mean much because it's a totally different scenario. Sport is now established as a major primetime draw, in the Olympics we had whole evenings of swimming and they got big ratings. In addition back in 2002 the vast majority of the audience still only had analogue so it was considered important to keep various BBC1 fixtures on. They don't need to do that now.

It's like the World Cup, if you were to say twenty years ago that every single match would be shown live on BBC1 or ITV, it would have sounded bizarre because at that point you didn't get that. Now you do.
    ftv wrote: »
    (is there anywhere that can receive BBC1 but can't receive BBC2 ?)

I wish people would stop saying this. They don't do it for that reason and haven't since the seventies. There are obvious reasons why they put stuff on BBC1.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    The whole point about a soap is it has a fixed place in the schedule and viewers know where to find it. The BBC has weakened EE by the constant chopping and changing (a few weeks ago it was running a trail for EE without saying what time it was on:o) I can't believe a Commonwealth Games event at - say - 8 pm on a Tuesday would get a bigger audience than EE. The games should be moved to BBC2, not the BBC's flagship soap (is there anywhere that can receive BBC1 but can't receive BBC2 ?)

I would think the general rating for the games will be less than what EE could get but some events especially athletics could get more. Its very difficult to say whether these games will be popular or not until they start which is why I said the ratings are going to be fascinating. Do ITV have much new on?
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    I would think the general rating for the games will be less than what EE could get but some events especially athletics could get more. Its very difficult to say whether these games will be popular or not until they start which is why I said the ratings are going to be fascinating. Do ITV have much new on?

Long Lost Family will be taking up the Monday 9pm slot; Harbour Lives at 8.30pm on Thursday's. Otherwise they seem to be throwing out a batch of factual which I can't see rating well.
  • Options
    F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    Long Lost Family will be taking up the Monday 9pm slot; Harbour Lives at 8.30pm on Thursday's. Otherwise they seem to be throwing out a batch of factual which I can't see rating well.

White flag by the looks of it then.

I agree entirely with Steve above. Different situation to 2002.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The soap figures are not great. Corri especially doesn't look to great.

If Corrie doesn't look great then what about EE. Corrie is weak at the moment with poor storylines, but I would have thought EE wit several trailers this year and big character returns, all that publicity for Lucy murder storyline and yet its dropped behind Emmerdale again.

Corrie's figure is poor I'm not disputing that, but EE should be above Emmerdale. If EE can't beat an out slot Corrie its seems even DTC can't fix EE.
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,638
    Forum Member
    If Corrie doesn't look great then what about EE. Corrie is weak at the moment with poor storylines, but I would have thought EE wit several trailers this year and big character returns, all that publicity for Lucy murder storyline and yet its dropped behind Emmerdale again.

Corrie's figure is poor I'm not disputing that, but EE should be above Emmerdale. If EE can't beat an out slot Corrie its seems even DTC can't fix EE.

Dominic Treadwell Collins believes in character led stories so he has definately fixed "EastEnders" but in terms of bringing it back to the casual viewers he needs a few new tricks up his sleeve. I don't think new viewers will enter into a pattern of watching unless its crash boom for a bit. Its hard for soaps in general. "Happy Valley" "Line Of Duty" were examples of carefully constructed drama with clever cliffhangers that just end up making the soaps "doof doof" moments look tamer than usual as the writers must run them the whole year. But I think maybe that the executives need to think what would I do with this show if it only had six months left to run and perhaps eject characters and refresh.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    johnnymc wrote: »
    There should be a major overhaul on "EastEnders" it would shoot the ratings up. Just get a massive explosion going on, kill off some of the cast and viewers would soon come in. Ridiculous that BBC One are moving it to TWO. It's going to rate the lowest figures if its year. A shame they can't seem to support it more over the summer..
    Please no, Eastenders currently is just a ongoing suicide note.

There is no quality left, nor any redeeming features. Need a miracle to bring back the long term viewers.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Dominic Treadwell Collins believes in character led stories so he has definately fixed "EastEnders" but in terms of bringing it back to the casual viewers he needs a few new tricks up his sleeve. I don't think new viewers will enter into a pattern of watching unless its crash boom for a bit. Its hard for soaps in general. "Happy Valley" "Line Of Duty" were examples of carefully constructed drama with clever cliffhangers that just end up making the soaps "doof doof" moments look tamer than usual as the writers must run them the whole year. But I think maybe that the executives need to think what would I do with this show if it only had six months left to run and perhaps eject characters and refresh.

And he's right. Character led stories are the best and make for a stronger soap. Unfortunately for Corrie SB doesn't quite follow this theme. DTC is a great producer and passionate about EE, but I think until something massive happens the soap might not be able to increase YOY. That goes for them all. The damage is done. Each year more viewers drop off.

The broadcasters need to cut back the episodes of each soap and really put effort into the content. Its the amount of episodes produced which makes for a poorer soap.
  • Options
    ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not at all scientific of course but...

@theawayfans: Retweet if you'll watch the World Cup Final on the BBC or Fav if you will watch on ITV. http://t.co/yK0OANsPsG

Currently -
    12,000 retweets for BBC
    305 favourites for ITV.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please no, Eastenders currently is just a ongoing suicide note.

There is no quality left, nor any redeeming features. Need a miracle to bring back the long term viewers.

You can't be watching it then. It's much better now than under Lorraine Newman. Good scheduling and promotion will help. All the good work done by the Lucy Beale storyline has been undone over the Summer by the World Cup scheduling. Also starting the Lucy Beale storyline in the Autumn might have been a better idea.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ronant wrote: »

@theawayfans: Retweet if you'll watch the World Cup Final on the BBC or Fav if you will watch on ITV. http://t.co/yK0OANsPsG

Currently -
    12,000 retweets for BBC
    305 favourites for ITV.

The 305 people are joking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ronant wrote: »

Currently -
    12,000 retweets for BBC
    305 favourites for ITV.

The BBC will win the question is by how much?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ronant do you have a final rating for episode 1 of The Honourable Woman?
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    Celebrity MasterChef 3.90m (19.7%)
    Pointless 2.34m (20.9%)
    The Chase 2.32m (21.5%)
    Bargain Hunt 1.62m (28.0%)
    Big Brother 1.42m. (8.9%)
    Couples Come Dine With Me 0.89m (8.3%)
    Eggheads 0.85m (6.1%) Perfection 0.71m (12.2%)
    Big Brother’s Bit on the Side 0.51m (5.7%)
    Deal or No Deal 0.34m (5.5%)
    Ultimate Dealer 0.27m (3.2%)

All including HD and +1 where appropriate.

This is from Botherbar. Well, looking at those ratings, it seems BB should be OK after all after the world cup? That is very low for DOND!

DOND should be axed, to have gone from 3.5 million to less than a tenth of that proves the show is on its last legs. More encouraging for BB, which will please a few people on here, I think 1.4 million is decent enough in a summer where the World Cup and red hot weather have played havoc with the schedules.
  • Options
    patrick95patrick95 Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    Nice figures for both Big Brother and OAPs: Behaving Badly - if Channel 5 can keep it up then they could be onto having quite a decent summer. Big Brother: Armageddon has the potential to really resurrect this series and the benefits themed programmes always pull in a 2 million + audience.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EastEnders needs to iron out any remaining issues, accept fluctuating figures for the rest of 2014 and look to hit the ground running off the back of the 30th anniversary. Figures will hit a high at that point and the trick will be to retain those viewers after the special.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think the true winner tonight would be sitting outside.
  • Options
    patrick95patrick95 Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    And in news that will come as surprise to .... no one, Channel 4 are developing a 'Benefit's Street' style documentary examining the lives of immigrants on one street in Southampton, imaginatively titled 'Immigration Street'.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a583707/benefits-street-team-to-bring-immigration-street-to-channel-4.html

From a ratings perspective I can see this doing decently for 4, but not the highs that Benefits Street hit.
  • Options
    basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    patrick95 wrote: »
    And in news that will come as surprise to .... no one, Channel 4 are developing a 'Benefit's Street' style documentary examining the lives of immigrants on one street in Southampton, imaginatively titled 'Immigration Street'.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a583707/benefits-street-team-to-bring-immigration-street-to-channel-4.html

From a ratings perspective I can see this doing decently for 4, but not the highs that Benefits Street hit.
    That was on the BBC local news in April when I was in Bournemouth, quite a lot of local residents were not at all happy.
    This could backfire on channel four more than benefit street if it all goes wrong.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    EastEnders needs to iron out any remaining issues, accept fluctuating figures for the rest of 2014 and look to hit the ground running off the back of the 30th anniversary. Figures will hit a high at that point and the trick will be to retain those viewers after the special.

Next year could be better for EE with the anniversary and no doubt a big storyline. I think DTC is trying hard to revive the soap, but it has had the World Cup playing havoc with the schedules and also the hangover from Lorraine Newman.
This discussion has been closed.