Options

Looking for non Smart with no 3d 55in tv

Comments

• Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is wrong people need licence when they have machine that is CAPABLE of receiving BBC whether thgey use tuner or not if tuner is there they have to pay even if they say they never watch BBC
    I know you need licence when you have video recorder even if you have no screen because they told me in shop when I bought my video recorder silly but true!
    I am surprised you have got this wrong - suggest you phone licence people and get up to date information which is what I done today
    do you disagree with the LAW?

You are incorrect. Sorry.

If you are not watching live Tv then you do not need a TV licence, even if you got a tuner. If you buy a video recorder or today it would be a PVR or TV you will not even be asked for any info to send to the TVL now.

Having no tuner would just make it easier to prove i don't watch live Tv, the problem is it don't really prove it as BBc iplayer got live TV, so have ny now TV box. but they would have to prove I watch that, which I don't
  • Options
    Mr QuackersMr Quackers Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    No, but obviously you do :D

As before your post is complete nonsense and wrong in every respect - it was reasonably correct on some points 30 years ago, but not for a great many years now.

You're obviously lying about ringing the TVL, as they wouldn't tell you that - I suggest you simply look on their website where it's all explained clearly for you :p

Or look in the huge numbers of threads on these forums - TV sales aren't even reported to the TVL any more.
    To Mr Nigel Goodwin,
    When I bought my television from John Lewis around mid 80's they told me that they would send details to tv licence people and I got FINED for not having licence man came round and I had to go to court and ii got fined a load of money- tell me I'm wrong now! and when I bought my VHS they said make sure you have a licence - tell me I'm wrong now again - I did phone licence people iam no liar I told them I have vhs whiuch is a VERY good AKAI VS5EK which is still going strong SINCE 1981 yes beat that!!! no you cannot!!!
    I am telling you I phoned them what they told me I have to have licence - are youi above the LAW - will you pay my fine if I take your error advise? I don't think so I don't want to go to court again
    are you saying I should LIEto man who comes round to my house to see vhs?
    if you provide advise please provide CORRECT advise as I don't want police round here and end up in prison
  • Options
    ray_01ray_01 Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    To Mr Nigel Goodwin,
    When I bought my television from John Lewis around mid 80's they told me that they would send details to tv licence people and I got FINED for not having licence man came round and I had to go to court and ii got fined a load of money- tell me I'm wrong now! and when I bought my VHS they said make sure you have a licence - tell me I'm wrong now again - I did phone licence people iam no liar I told them I have vhs whiuch is a VERY good AKAI VS5EK which is still going strong SINCE 1981 yes beat that!!! no you cannot!!!
    I am telling you I phoned them what they told me I have to have licence - are youi above the LAW - will you pay my fine if I take your error advise? I don't think so I don't want to go to court again
    if you provide advise please provide CORRECT advise as I don't want police round here and end up in prison

I think his name says it all!!
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To Mr Nigel Goodwin,

Until recently the retailers had to send your details to TVL. But it has never been the case that you needed a licence simply to OWN a TV or VCR. It is what you do with the equipment that determines whether a licence is needed.

If you were fined then that implies that the court was satisfied that you were watching live TV without a licence. Not that you had a TV and VCR in the corner of the room only.

And you only get sent to prison if you fail to pay the fine imposed for not having a licence. You can't get sent to prison simply for not having one if one is needed.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,279
    Forum Member
    To Mr Nigel Goodwin,
    You got fined for breaking the law IN THE 80's. You are not understanding what the law means in the 21st Century. I gave you two links to the TV licensing site which answered the question. In the 80's there was no online media for joe public to watch or catch up TV etc.
    It would seem that from your attitude and your equipment you are stuck in the 1980's. If you did phone, they answered the question you asked, which, judging by your failure to understand here, was probably not the correct one.
    Here, again, are the two links which you should read before making an even bigger fool of yourself............If that's possible..
    http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ8
    and
    http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/technology--devices-and-online-top8
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,654
    Forum Member
    ray_01 wrote: »
    I think his name says it all!!

Yep, a complete nutter :D - who'd also obviously unable to read - as he's not read the correct 21st century links posted above.

I don't why he feels the need to lie about ringing the TVL, and then claiming they told him 30 year old advise :p

Mind you, perhaps it was 30 years ago he rang?, after all who would ring now when it's all on line?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yep, a complete nutter :D - who'd also obviously unable to read - as he's not read the correct 21st century links posted above.

I don't why he feels the need to lie about ringing the TVL, and then claiming they told him 30 year old advise :p

Mind you, perhaps it was 30 years ago he rang?, after all who would ring now when it's all on line?.

Yes I did read links which is same as I was told by licence people on phone. . how many times do I have to keep pointing out to you that how can ii PROVE to licence investigater that I DO NOT watch rubbish television when I have a tuner in tv AND a vhs Akai recorder.perhaps you can write a note to them on my behalf, nigel -ha,ha.
    how much easier would it be if tv had NO tuner and vhs had no tuner.How could licence man disagree wiith me then?
    Tellme Nigel, how do I convince licence man I do not watch coronation street or eastenders or other rubbish when he sees tuner in tv and vhs.
    You are unable to answer this simple question because you cant
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    Yes I did read links which is same as I was told by licence people on phone. . how many times do I have to keep pointing out to you that how can ii PROVE to licence investigater that I DO NOT watch rubbish television when I have a tuner in tv AND a vhs Akai recorder.perhaps you can write a note to them on my behalf, nigel -ha,ha.
    how much easier would it be if tv had NO tuner and vhs had no tuner.How could licence man disagree wiith me then?
    Tellme Nigel, how do I convince licence man I do not watch coronation street or eastenders or other rubbish when he sees tuner in tv and vhs.

FYI.....
    You don't need a licence if you don't use any of these devices to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV - for example, if you use your TV only to watch DVDs or play video games, or you only watch ‘catch up’ services like BBC iPlayer or 4oD.

Once you are sure you will not watch or record television programmes as they’re being shown on TV, using any device, then please let us know. This helps us to keep our database up to date and means you won't receive the letters we send to unlicensed addresses.

In most cases you just need to complete the online declaration form. But if you already have a TV Licence and think you may be entitled to a refund or are paying by Direct Debit or TV Licensing payment card follow the links below:

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/how-to-tell-us-you-dont-watch-tv-top12
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

unplug the aerial, detune both the VHS and TV. are you really still using VHS?
    Anyway, detune both Tv and VHS and away you go. Oh hang on video will make no odds now as that is analogue and receive no signal anyway. If the TV is digital once you got no aerial connected go though the tuning process, it should then just not find any thing and that is it detuned.

My aerial cable don't have a plug on and it taped up and sits on the windows sill, and even if it was connected, my Tv would still come up with no signal.

Legal to own a Tv with no licence, just not legal to watch live stuff.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,279
    Forum Member
    You don't have to prove that you don't watch live TV broadcasts, they have to prove that you do. They say that they can tell when they visit you if you have, but, they can't. The people that visit you are just Capita employees on a fishing trip. Anyway, if you are genuinely not watching live TV, then they couldn't prove it, even if they had some magic machine...
  • Options
    RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    unplug the aerial, detune both the VHS and TV. are you really still using VHS?
    Anyway, detune both Tv and VHS and away you go. Oh hang on video will make no odds now as that is analogue and receive no signal anyway. If the TV is digital once you got no aerial connected go though the tuning process, it should then just not find any thing and that is it detuned.

My aerial cable don't have a plug on and it taped up and sits on the windows sill, and even if it was connected, my Tv would still come up with no signal.

Legal to own a Tv with no licence, just not legal to watch live stuff.
    You may not have an aerial or dish attached to your tv but you have Now TV which of course features live streaming so I don't believe you don't have a sneaky look at that. Lots of online live tv apps too so again, anyone who claims they don't watch live tv just because they don't have a dish or an aerial may be rather economical with the truth in my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    You may not have an aerial or dish attached to your tv but you have Now TV which of course features live streaming so I don't believe you don't have a sneaky look at that. Lots of online live tv apps too so again, anyone who claims they don't watch live tv just because they don't have a dish or an aerial may be rather economical with the truth in my opinion.

I could also watch live BBC Iplayer connect if I wanted to, but I don't, then again I don't use BBc Iplayer.

With the now TV box, I had a quick look to see what the live TV was about, but that was at my mates place the day I got the box. But i have not looked at any live TV in this house since I got rid of my TV licence. i could not put up with the adverts for a start,, catch up got no adverts.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With the now TV box, I had a quick look to see what the live TV was about, but that was at my mates place the day I got the box. But i have not looked at any live TV in this house since I got rid of my TV licence. i could not put up with the adverts for a start,, catch up got no adverts.

I can't put up with adverts either but that has nothing to do with live TV as I always use the PVR for which I need a licence. (I'm not accusing you of anything, just saying that not wanting to watch adverts is irrelevant as you don't have to anyway).

My opinion on this (a bit off topic) is that anyone using catch up should also be liable for a licence fee - I'm talking about what I think the law should be not what the law is.
  • Options
    Forum Member

It's all answered fully in the links you claim to have read.

So if they told you correctly on the phone, and you've read the links, why you you keep posting such complete nonsense, ignoring what you've been told and read.

However, YOU don't have to prove anything - THEY have to prove you are watching (or recording) live TV. As they have no right of entry (in fact no powers at all), how would they even know if you have a TV with a tuner in it?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But i have not looked at any live TV in this house since I got rid of my TV licence..

Aye right.

However, YOU don't have to prove anything - THEY have to prove you are watching (or recording) live TV. As they have no right of entry (in fact no powers at all), how would they even know if you have a TV with a tuner in it?.

And that is the issue. They cannot prove it but I refuse to believe anyone that claims never to watch live TV but has access to it in their house.

But this is now turning into a thread worthy of the Broadcasting forum!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Radiogram wrote: »
    And that is the issue. They cannot prove it but I refuse to believe anyone that claims never to watch live TV but has access to it in their house.

I agree - I'm pretty sure that the various members here who don't pay the licence and 'claim' never to watch live TV actually do watch live TV, and should pay the licence.

Personally I think the entire idea of 'no licence for catch-up' is ludicrous, and should be scrapped - you should have to have a licence if you watch TV, live or catch-up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's all answered fully in the links you claim to have read.

So if they told you correctly on the phone, and you've read the links, why you you keep posting such complete nonsense, ignoring what you've been told and read.

So man knocked on my door in 1986 and ii got prosecuted because my tv had a tuner - II WANT A TV WIRTHOUT A TUNER because man will do the same again
    #man did not come into my bedsit - he was on doorstep and then I got court summons - are you saying this will not happen again
    how can you PROVE this ?
    I only watch vhs I have 2 rooms full of taps from floor to ceiling - you can buy a box full of vhs taps for 5 quid - I have some lovely shows and nature programmes - I go down to charity shops and have lovely films which are BETTER on my tv than tv's in john lewis you talk rubbish about hd and dvd - I have akai vs5ek video bought in 1981 and Panasonic 20 inch JAP BUILT Quintrix - not the 22 and 24 iinch Panasonic built iin wales with rubbish mallard tubes and Europe components - mine is the genuine jap QUINTRIX - you will not get a better picture - they walk all over sony Trinitron and yet Panasonic had the cheek to put quintrix badge on the front of rubbish welsh built sets wiith a rubbish mallard tube - they should have been prosecuted under trades descriptions act
    my vhs akai and poansonic quintrix has a vastly superior picture to any hd lcd led call it what you want want - I know because I have seen screens in john lewis and they are RUBBISH.
    tv makers simply bring out new models to make people buy more - my quintrix is better than anything you can buy now and vhs is a lovely picture compared to rubbish I've seen in john lewis.
    Mr Goodwin simply wants people to buy new TV's - the pictures on new are rubbish compared to my VHS and Panasonic Quintrix
    I watch films on my vhs which have a lovely lush rich hue about them
    I think it all started to go wrong when stupid people adopted Laservision over and above JVC VHD video disc and CD's over and above JVC AHD audio disc.
    the JVC VHD (Video Home Disc) and JVC AHD (Audio Home Disc) were vastly superior to both Laservision and ultimately DVD and AHD was VASTLY superior to rubbish resolution CD.
    We should now have JVC VHS (best recording medium), JVC VHD (best video disc medium) and JVC AHD (best audio disc medium).
    Instead we have inferior dvd's - total rubbish, blue rays - even worse and nothing in the audio forum to even compare to AHD.
    In this world, it could have been so much simpler - JVC VHS for recording tv, JVC VHD for watching films and JVC AHD for listening to music
    JVC are visionaries are we are paying for ignoring them now with rubbish pictures and rubbish sound.
    However, the technology is still there and if an effort is made, maybe we can brush aside dvd, blue ray hd dvd confusion etc and agree on the VHS,VHD,AHD standard which JVC clearly ascribes to.
    And then we will get some decent pictures and sound once and for all and obviate a need to have discussions on what is the best system.
    Even Nigel knows VHD and AHD are the best systems in the world.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So man knocked on my door in 1986 and ii got prosecuted because my tv had a tuner - II WANT A TV WIRTHOUT A TUNER because man will do the same again
    #man did not come into my bedsit - he was on doorstep and then I got court summons - are you saying this will not happen again
    how can you PROVE this ?
    I only watch vhs I have 2 rooms full of taps from floor to ceiling - you can buy a box full of vhs taps for 5 quid - I have some lovely shows and nature programmes - I go down to charity shops and have lovely films which are BETTER on my tv than tv's in john lewis you talk rubbish about hd and dvd - I have akai vs5ek video bought in 1981 and Panasonic 20 inch JAP BUILT Quintrix - not the 22 and 24 iinch Panasonic built iin wales with rubbish mallard tubes and Europe components - mine is the genuine jap QUINTRIX - you will not get a better picture - they walk all over sony Trinitron and yet Panasonic had the cheek to put quintrix badge on the front of rubbish welsh built sets wiith a rubbish mallard tube - they should have been prosecuted under trades descriptions act
    my vhs akai and poansonic quintrix has a vastly superior picture to any hd lcd led call it what you want want - I know because I have seen screens in john lewis and they are RUBBISH.
    tv makers simply bring out new models to make people buy more - my quintrix is better than anything you can buy now and vhs is a lovely picture compared to rubbish I've seen in john lewis.
    Mr Goodwin simply wants people to buy new TV's - the pictures on new are rubbish compared to my VHS and Panasonic Quintrix
    I watch films on my vhs which have a lovely lush rich hue about them
    I think it all started to go wrong when stupid people adopted Laservision over and above JVC VHD video disc and CD's over and above JVC AHD audio disc.
    the JVC VHD (Video Home Disc) and JVC AHD (Audio Home Disc) were vastly superior to both Laservision and ultimately DVD and AHD was VASTLY superior to rubbish resolution CD.
    We should now have JVC VHS (best recording medium), JVC VHD (best video disc medium) and JVC AHD (best audio disc medium).
    Instead we have inferior dvd's - total rubbish, blue rays - even worse and nothing in the audio forum to even compare to AHD.
    In this world, it could have been so much simpler - JVC VHS for recording tv, JVC VHD for watching films and JVC AHD for listening to music
    JVC are visionaries are we are paying for ignoring them now with rubbish pictures and rubbish sound.
    However, the technology is still there and if an effort is made, maybe we can brush aside dvd, blue ray hd dvd confusion etc and agree on the VHS,VHD,AHD standard which JVC clearly ascribes to.
    And then we will get some decent pictures and sound once and for all and obviate a need to have discussions on what is the best system.
    Even Nigel knows VHD and AHD are the best systems in the world.
    This has surely got to be a total wind up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    how can you PROVE this ?

What's to prove?, it's clearly displayed on the TVL website that this isn't the case.

From what you've said above, even back in 1986, you couldn't have been prosecuted - unless (as now) you signed a confession for him.

But presumably you're just a troll?, posting complete nonsense (as above and the rest of your post) to try and satisfy your troll tendencies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

To be honest judging by your posts so far it won't be the police you have to worry about carting you away.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What's to prove?, it's clearly displayed on the TVL website that this isn't the case.

From what you've said above, even back in 1986, you couldn't have been prosecuted - unless (as now) you signed a confession for him.

But presumably you're just a troll?, posting complete nonsense (as above and the rest of your post) to try and satisfy your troll tendencies.
    Hello Nigel,
    I have checked and in fact it was 1987 - man came to door I didn't let him in I cannot now remember exact conversation but i was in bedsit and I know I did NOT admit I had telly I thought they had a van to detect it thouigfh and the next thing I got was a court summons HAND POSTED through the letterbox and I filled out form and got fined 120 quid which was a lot of money in them days let alone now hence why I am VERY worried about these licence people because I remember I did NOT say anything and they STILL persecuted me so now I am scared because although people on here (and your goodself) say that all I have to do is say "I don't watch " telly programmes and fill out form you will see trhat due to what happened in the past to me I think these people will still have a go at me because it says they will send someone round .
    Hope you can see my worries.
    Thank you for your attentuion.
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    Hello Nigel,
    I have checked and in fact it was 1987 - man came to door I didn't let him in I cannot now remember exact conversation but i was in bedsit and I know I did NOT admit I had telly I thought they had a van to detect it thouigfh and the next thing I got was a court summons HAND POSTED through the letterbox and I filled out form and got fined 120 quid which was a lot of money in them days let alone now hence why I am VERY worried about these licence people because I remember I did NOT say anything and they STILL persecuted me so now I am scared because although people on here (and your goodself) say that all I have to do is say "I don't watch " telly programmes and fill out form you will see trhat due to what happened in the past to me I think these people will still have a go at me because it says they will send someone round .
    Hope you can see my worries.
    Thank you for your attentuion.
    You are emigrating to the states this year, so what's all the fuss about, or have you forgotten - just fill in the form and say you don't watch live TV, by the time your form gets processed you'll be long gone.

....and before you ask, no they won't start looking for you in the states.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    You are emigrating to the states this year, so what's all the fuss about, or have you forgotten - just fill in the form and say you don't watch live TV, by the time your form gets processed you'll be long gone.

....and before you ask, no they won't start looking for you in the states.

Thank you for reply - I will now be going beginning of 2015 but my licence finishes end of this month - I am worried because US authorities will not accept people who have criminal record and at this juncture in time it is still criimiinal to not have licence - HENCE THE FUSS Ii'M MAKING _ TRUST YOU ALL UNDERSTAND _ IF I GET HAMMERED FOR NO LICENCE< AMERICAN'S MAY NOT LET ME INTO THEIR COUNTRY _ THEY ARE VERY STRICT
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you for reply - I will now be going beginning of 2015 but my licence finishes end of this month - I am worried because US authorities will not accept people who have criminal record and at this juncture in time it is still criimiinal to not have licence - HENCE THE FUSS Ii'M MAKING _ TRUST YOU ALL UNDERSTAND _ IF I GET HAMMERED FOR NO LICENCE< AMERICAN'S MAY NOT LET ME INTO THEIR COUNTRY _ THEY ARE VERY STRICT

If you are that worried, pay £145 for a license. A small price for peace of mind, surely.

You might also want to adjust your medication.
  • Options
    Forum Member

More utter crap - give it a rest!.