Options

Bouncer given 18 months jail for deliberately setting fire to man in sheep costume

Comments

• Options
    R82n8R82n8 Posts: 3,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The idiot bouncer didn't think through the consequence of his actions, also probably didn't expect the cotton wool to be heavily saturated with an accelerant, I'm not victim blaming, but when he went outside for a cigarette there was a possibility he could have ignited himself. He was basically wearing a suit made from gun cotton.

The bouncer should have been charged with Lambslaghter.

The Sheepy guy should not mix hairspray and cotton wool again, ever, then go on the piss.

If he'd have done this to himself most of us would be calling Darwin award.

Not excusing the bouncer, callous thing to do.
  • Options
    james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tossers like home that give bouncers a bad name, no wonder most people think they're scum
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trying to set fire to someone dressed in a cotton wool sheep outfit is a baa-aaa-aaad thing to do.
  • Options
    kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whereas setting fire to someone is revolting I think making a sheep costume out of cotton wool balls and spraying it with hairspray was just a bit odd, especially as he was smoking while wearing it, he could have set fire to himself.
  • Options
    BizzaBizza Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bouncer acting like a cock, there's a shocker. He should've had a much longer sentence for that, he could've killed the poor bloke.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Irresponsible idiot.
  • Options
    FilliAFilliA Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I read this story I thought it had taken a long time to get to court, I remember this happened years ago. Did a Google search and it turned out to be a different case. The man in that case was dressed in a home made Larry the Lamb costume and he was rescued by a man dressed as Jesus.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another complete and moronic idiot gets jailed. Honestly, these people aren't fit to be on the streets. I am actually wondering though if he's mentally ill or something.
  • Options
    Merkin ParadeMerkin Parade Posts: 277
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    You have 98 posts newbie. Respect your elders.

I wish I could have as many posts as you. I should stay in more
  • Options
    yeahbuddyyeahbuddy Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should have been a lot longer, 18months but will he get out on good behaviour earlier?
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    He didn't die. How could it be manslaughter:confused:
    See post #9.
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    More proof that 99% of bouncers are ****s.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is disgusting.

We treat violent crime far too leniently in this country.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rowdy wrote: »
    I know I shouldn't, but I think this story is hysterical.

I find that disgusting.

I doubt you'd be laughing if it had happened to a woman.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Immature bouncer + Guy who covers himself in cotton wool and highly inflammable hairspray to go clubbing = sad outcome. It was not premeditated assault, but it was reckless (and arson). 18 months seems right.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    I find that disgusting.

I doubt you'd be laughing if it had happened to a woman.

They could be looking for a reaction. After all, we can't even tell them what we think to their face.
  • Options
    Hobbes1966Hobbes1966 Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    Trying to set fire to someone dressed in a cotton wool sheep outfit is a baa-aaa-aaad thing to do.

:D:D:D:blush:
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Immature bouncer + Guy who covers himself in cotton wool and highly inflammable hairspray to go clubbing = sad outcome. It was not premeditated assault, but it was reckless (and arson). 18 months seems right.
    Bit flabbergasted at people saying this, if someone sets light to someone deliberately, causing them extreme pain for months leaving them horrendously scarred 18 months is no way near enough.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    jzee wrote: »
    Bit flabbergasted at people saying this, if someone sets light to someone deliberately, causing them extreme pain for months leaving them horrendously scarred 18 months is no way near enough.

The legal system requires the concept of mens rea to convict against a particular charge. It would be quite difficult to prove that the bouncer could have reasonably expected to know that alighting someone's fancy dress costume would so quickly lead to an horrific fireball with devastating consequences. He would certainly have not expected it to be made out of an accelerant. And there is no evidence to suggest that he bore any grudge to have wanted the victim killed or even severely injured. Therefore, it must be assumed that it was a foolish and criminally dangerous prank that had unexpected outcome for the victim, rather than a premeditated attempt to cause severe pain.

Crimes are sentenced on their criminality and intention, not the randomness of the outcome.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That poor guy. Agreed that the bouncer should have got a much longer sentence. If I was the victim I'd appeal.
  • Options
    BizzaBizza Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hopefully he's feeling a bit sheepish about it now.
  • Options
    runfor yourliferunfor yourlife Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    I wondered what he was doing after leaving neighbours
  • Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3sweet5u wrote: »
    Wasn't it an accident. I'm all in defense of this poor lad but i don't see anywhere in the article where it mentions it was deliberate.

I have to agree. I don't see any mention in that article at all which would have suggested he deliberately set him on fire.

Does anyone know any more about this? How did the police come to the conclusion he did it on purpose and it wasn't a stupid accident?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    18 months! I think this is one of the rare occasions when I want to scream, "Throw away the key!" Not really, but that short sentence takes the piss, even it was done by accident (seems like a strange accident to ignite a lighter near someone´s clothes inside a club, as presumably smoking is banned there...I know lighters might still be used in cocktail making, food prep. or lighting candles but that doesn´t seem to have been the case here?)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    He didn't die. How could it be manslaughter:confused:
    People sometimes seem to find it hard to grasp why you can't have an offence of attempted manslaughter. (Which would require the rather brain-melting demonstration that someone had intended to not intend to kill someone.)

18 months seems shortish to me, and I am nearly always on the liberal side in these matters. Even without the accelerant, and even if he only intended to make the man jump and give him a fright, it was a horribly dangerous and reckless thing to do. In 2011, someone got 4 years for posting "Let's have a riot in Latchford!" on facebook. I would definitely swap these two sentences over and a bit more (and less, respectively).
    FilliA wrote: »
    When I read this story I thought it had taken a long time to get to court, I remember this happened years ago. Did a Google search and it turned out to be a different case. The man in that case was dressed in a home made Larry the Lamb costume and he was rescued by a man dressed as Jesus.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1331521/Partygoer-dressed-Larry-Lamb-saved-Jesus-set-alight.html You have to smile a bit at the Jesus bit, and him saying that "I'm not a religious man but the lord saved me that day." But again, he basically wore a costume made of fibres held together with an accelerant, then wisely INVITED a friend to set fire to a bit.