Options

Circumcision for Religous Reasons

Comments

• Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only agree with it for medical reasons. It should be illegal otherwise. I don't agree with inflicting severe pain on infants unless medically necessary.
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Your outrageous arrogance speaks volumes.>:(

Never mind, I'm sure you'll get over it.
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    batgirl wrote: »
    Should parents be allowed to cut off their kids' earlobes because the Great Boo Boo, Master of the Entire Universe, wishes for this to happen?
    So you think there is nothing wrong with lopping off bits of people without their permission?

Can I have your nose lopped off then?

What is it with people and their inane replies? :confused:

Obviously with a baby the parent gives their consent for it to be done. We're talking about a tiny bit of useless skin that gets cut off. The baby recovers in about a week and thats it for the rest of his life.
    DadDancer wrote: »
    what is it you think i don't understand about it exactly? :confused:
    and i am not being sensationalist about it, it's exactly how i feel about the issue.
    The practice should be banned outright and people who continue to do it should face the full force of the law. Religious beliefs are no excuse to commit child abuse .

Obviously you haven't had it done and probably don't even know anybody who has had it done, but will complain about it anyway? Go and lobby your MP about it if you feel so passionate against it.

If it was, so called, 'child abuse' it would have been stopped many years ago. Its all done within the laws of the country and there's no reason to have it stopped.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    habby wrote: »

Obviously with a baby the parent gives their consent for it to be done. We're talking about a tiny bit of useless skin that gets cut off. The baby recovers in about a week and thats it for the rest of his life.

Obviously you haven't had it done and probably don't even know anybody who has had it done, but will complain about it anyway? Go and lobby your MP about it if you feel so passionate against it.

If it was, so called, 'child abuse' it would have been stopped many years ago. Its all done within the laws of the country and there's no reason to have it stopped.

Who says it's useless??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree it's abuse. To inflict severe and unnecessary pain on a child is a form of abuse IMO.
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    World Health Organisation ..... "There is compelling evidence that male circumcision reduces the risk of heterosexually acquired HIV infection in men by approximately 60%. "
    UN AIDS Conference ..... "ROME/GENEVA, 20 July 2011—The Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS) strongly welcomes new results confirming that scaling-up adult male circumcision works to prevent HIV in men. "

There's your proven health benefits.

Do you have a link? I'd be keen to find out what the specific evidence is, in what communities, whether it is related to personal cleanliness etc. etc.
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    World Health Organisation ..... "There is compelling evidence that male circumcision reduces the risk of heterosexually acquired HIV infection in men by approximately 60%. "
    UN AIDS Conference ..... "ROME/GENEVA, 20 July 2011—The Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS) strongly welcomes new results confirming that scaling-up adult male circumcision works to prevent HIV in men. "

Do you have a link? I'd be keen to find out what the specific evidence is, in what communities, whether it is related to personal cleanliness etc. etc.

Just to keep us going until we get more information, I found this on Wiki
    Among adolescents, regardless of sexual experience, circumcision was just as strongly associated with prevalent HIV infection. However, uncircumcised adults were more likely to be HIV positive than circumcised adults."
    link

Whiich, on the face of it ,would seem to suggest that circumcision to help prevent AIDS would be an effective intervention only post adolescence.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Indeed. And in this case that good reason is...?

Religious requirements:)
  • Options
    JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »

That is never a good reason for ANYTHING.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why does God want to inflict severe pain on babies? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    kmusgrave wrote: »
    That is never a good reason for ANYTHING.
    It is if you are religious
    Why does God want to inflict severe pain on babies? :)

I don't remember having any severe pain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is if you are religious

I don't remember having any severe pain.

Just because you don't remember doesn't mean it didn't cause it. Or do you think the procedure is a pain free one? :)

Why does God want us to inflict severe pain on babies? :)
  • Options
    DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

my dad had it done for medical reasons so i am fully aware thank you very much. I think the majority of people think it had already been banned, i certainly did and yes i will lobby my MP too. I think there needs to be a big awareness campaign about this cruel practice that still goes on in the 21st century. Its an absolute disgrace.>:( and really a tiny piece of useless skin you say, what a joke. :o it enhances masterbation and sex and is a very sensitive and pleasurable part of the penis.
  • Options
    The 12th DoctorThe 12th Doctor Posts: 4,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole point of circumcision in Judaism is that God provided an imperfection which it is our religious duty to remove in order to show our commitment to the everlasting covenant. However...I agree that since children so young cannot consent or possibly know what is happening, maybe the Brit Milah should take place in adolescence.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's not exactly a good reason. A good reason would be medical reasons.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole point of circumcision in Judaism is that God provided an imperfection which it is our religious duty to remove in order to show our commitment to the everlasting covenant. However...I agree that since children so young cannot consent or possibly know what is happening, maybe the Brit Milah should take place in adolescence.

I believe that a god/gods/goddess/goddesses probably just want us to live our lives peacefully and without starting wars and what not. We should keep whatever we're born with unless it's causing us suffering, physically, or mentally.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, I said GOOD reason. You're talking about superstition.
  • Options
    batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member

Yes, I'm talking about parents giving their consent to have the child's earlobes cut off. They're pretty useless and the baby will recover from it relatively quickly. Are you for or against?
  • Options
    batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member

A reduced risk is still a risk (if we take the stats on face value). Condoms offer a better level of protection and also guard against other sexually transmitted infections/diseases and against unwanted pregnancies, so it's not like cutting off the foreskin removes the need for safe sex planning.

Also, it's not up to me as his mum to make this kind of decision for my son. If he is convinced by the research - and wants to gamble his health/life by not practicing safe sex - he is free, now he's an adult, to do whatever he wants with his foreskin. It wasn't my job when he was an infant to decide what kind of a sex life he was going to have and to make alterations to his genitals.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just because you don't remember doesn't mean it didn't cause it. Or do you think the procedure is a pain free one? :)

Christians are not obliged to be circumcised.
    zx50 wrote: »
    That's not exactly a good reason. A good reason would be medical reasons.
    Medical reasons are also good. :)
    No, I said GOOD reason. You're talking about superstition.
    Being a Jew is not superstition.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like my Mum I have got Jewish blood, but I eat pork, I got a foreskin, I don't speak Hebrew and I have never attended a synagogue. Just because something is in your blood, it doesn't mean that you have to follow it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christians are not obliged to be circumcised.

Being a Jew is not superstition.

Well, I guess we'll have to leave that as a matter of opinion. It is my opinion that any religion is a form of superstition (and a very profitable one at that).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Medical reasons are the ONLY good reasons. I also know that you're just using that smilie to try and bait people who are replying to you.

Edit: You also don't have to be religious to be a Jew.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I keep hearing stuff like this and I don't know why it isn't challenged more vigorously? It simply doesn't make sense; how can removing the foreskin possibly lower the incidence of HIV infection. Think about it for a second or two – it's absolute rubbish.

Who carries out these surveys? Are they made up of a high percentage of Jewish people, for instance. What's with the cleanliness issue as well? You would have to be such a scum bag to let your knob get to the state where it stinks to high heaven that you've be unlikely to have much opportunity for sex anyway.

Yet more medieval claptrap.
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In reference to my post No 169 today.
    When I had it done as an adult, I naturally was anaesthetised so felt nothing.
    Post-op I vaguely recall minor, VERY minor, discomfort which dissipated very quickly.
    By the time I went home, (the same day), I was like a kid with a new bike at Christmas.
    I couldn't wait to try it out, but as I've already stated, the surgeon had advised against it until the stitches had dissolved.