Options

Danny Baker

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 551
Forum Member
✭✭
Never heard his show on 5 live but have tuned in the last two weeks and really enjoy it! Anyone else listen?

Comments

• Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's often a good listen. More like the spirit of his old shows on GLR where he would go off on all sorts of tangents than his more recent ones on BBC London which seemed to be a bit too "local radio" for his talents.

Funny you should mention it today as I've just noticed that Danny has a new TV show on the BT Sport channel. Has anyone watched it, and is it any good?
  • Options
    rmc57rmc57 Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »

Funny you should mention it today as I've just noticed that Danny has a new TV show on the BT Sport channel. Has anyone watched it, and is it any good?

It features match predictions using a Tarot card reader from Acton, backed up by a pair of toasters used to predict the result of the following day's BT Sport live Premier League match.

The search is on for pastries and bread in the shape of footballers' heads and the programme features a large on-screen dog - brown and white, rather stiff and on this week's show wearing the Gareth Bale gold dollar sign necklace.

Show one was hit by a sensation. Baker's mother was discovered to be a West Ham fan. This trauma probably explains a lot.

If you enjoy Danny please join in. If not there is a door over ...........................................................................here
    >
  • Options
    makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    I'm a big Danny Baker fan and really miss him from BBC London. I'll be very disappointed indeed if he only does sports-based stuff from now on, though.
  • Options
    PhilHPhilH Posts: 2,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    makeba72 wrote: »
    I'm a big Danny Baker fan and really miss him from BBC London. I'll be very disappointed indeed if he only does sports-based stuff from now on, though.

His 5Live show is only slightly sport related.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    PhilH wrote: »
    His 5Live show is only slightly sport related.

Yeah, I like his meanderings, but iI still find it quite footie-based, and I have no interest whatsoever in football.

I really just want his music and chat show back on the radio, which was fantastic, an eclectic mix of music that I adored, and a genuine feel-good factor. I loved the unashamed schmaltz in the lead up to Xmas, and I really struggle to find that seasonable build-up anywhere else, just for one example.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chris983 wrote: »
    Never heard his show on 5 live but have tuned in the last two weeks and really enjoy it! Anyone else listen?

Yep. I think he's great.

C'mon though, gotta be brown sauce hasn't it?! :)
  • Options
    moordown66moordown66 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always mustard for me.No sauce at all.
  • Options
    ahoymeisterahoymeister Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    makeba72 wrote: »
    Yeah, I like his meanderings, but iI still find it quite footie-based, and I have no interest whatsoever in football.

I really just want his music and chat show back on the radio, which was fantastic, an eclectic mix of music that I adored, and a genuine feel-good factor. I loved the unashamed schmaltz in the lead up to Xmas, and I really struggle to find that seasonable build-up anywhere else, just for one example.
    The Five Live show feels a bit watered down to me. I miss his BBC London show enormously, it was a little ray of sunshine in the afternoon.
  • Options
    QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love Danny Bakers shows. I always download his 5 Live podcast to listen to on Monday mornings on my way to work. I do miss listening to him on a daily basis because he played some really good music which I would then download onto my MP3.
  • Options
    sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I echo those who miss Baker on BBC London. His 5live show is ok but is more sports based & have not seen his BT show.
  • Options
    Missy MooMissy Moo Posts: 474
    Forum Member
    One for all the hard core fans - I only found out the other day what the reference to "Hat's on the side of my head" was - enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM5DkHy0yJo
  • Options
    Paul_HayesPaul_Hayes Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    Superb show, I always really enjoy it on a Saturday morning.

Are there any others who actually consider it a bit of a treat and prefer it when (as with this weekend) they don't have a guest in the 10 to 10.30 half-hour, and just keep taking calls instead?
  • Options
    ahoymeisterahoymeister Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul_Hayes wrote: »

Are there any others who actually consider it a bit of a treat and prefer it when (as with this weekend) they don't have a guest in the 10 to 10.30 half-hour, and just keep taking calls instead?

Yes - the BBC London show was better when they stopped bothering with guests, Baker can take interviews in interesting directions but I prefer the calls (although again, I don't think the Five Live show attracts the same quality of call). Two hours of Danny just talking with Danny Kelly or David Kuo would suit me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Baker should present a regular show on Radio 2. I know he's done occassional stints there but I think he should do Saturday mornings 10am-1pm & Breakfast when Chris is on leave.
  • Options
    PhilHPhilH Posts: 2,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul_Hayes wrote: »

I think it depends who the guest is but, in general, I'd prefer it to be just Danny.

That said, I think the guests have improved a bit lately - there was a time when it was just Danny's heroes (e.g. Emerson, Lake and Palmer) and it all got a bit self-indulgent.
  • Options
    QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dannys interview with Robert Plant the other day is just fantastic. What a lovely fella Robert is. A genuine legend and yet so down to earth.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    Another one here who really misses his afternoon show .. what were they thinking when they took that off?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    plotloss wrote: »
    Another one here who really misses his afternoon show .. what were they thinking when they took that off?

What were they thinking?

"vanilla, vanilla, vanilla, vanilla, vanilla, vanilla, vanilla, vanilla" etc.

Idiots. That was far and away the best show on radio.
  • Options
    hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happened on Danny's Sausage Sandwich game today on BBC Radio 5?

The guest, Connor McGregor, an Irish fighter, said something (which I missed) and suddenly he was cut off and they had to find someone else to answer the questions.

It's been cut from i player, so I'm not sure what was said, although I guess he swore.

Anyone know?
  • Options
    victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like a great shoe with its lights on.
    Loved his show on radio 5 after football with Danny Kelly. Especially when they read out unusual footballers names so funny I was in tears.
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Was it a Rory McGrath thing all over again?

I spent good money getting a bloke from the local classified ads to curse his future Cornish pasties so they'd all contain great big lumps of carrot after that.

I'd do it again for this Conor McGregor geezer.
  • Options
    darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished D.B.'s autobiography - fascinating guy with a shedload of bloody great anecdotes. I've always liked him on radio, but I was so impressed with his positivity and upbeat take on life as it permeates his writing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    hatpeg wrote: »
    What happened on Danny's Sausage Sandwich game today on BBC Radio 5?

The guest, Connor McGregor, an Irish fighter, said something (which I missed) and suddenly he was cut off and they had to find someone else to answer the questions.

It's been cut from i player, so I'm not sure what was said, although I guess he swore.

Anyone know?

Going by what the OC said in the following show he swore on air.
  • Options
    Fish_and_ChipsFish_and_Chips Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always listen to Danny's shows on the podcast as soon as they are available, and I must admit the last 2 weeks the shows have been outstanding. Maybe it's because I prefer Alex as a co host, anyway why can't LBC do shows like this anymore instead of every show being a debate or argument that the presenter and let's be honest might not really be that interested in anyway?
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remember Danny's Tv Heroes show where he showed a clip of himself in the Totp audience circa 1979?

One last chance to see it tonight on BBC4!