Options

Seinfeld

BigPatBigPat Posts: 160
Forum Member
After seeing this on the news recently (a minor league baseball team's tribute to Seinfeld) I've dusted off my old season DVDs and am working through the entire lot. I loved it then and I love it now. I think it would be my favourite of all sitcoms, really, when you think about all the little things it added. Man hands, low talkers, spare a square, the second spitter, "Newman!", muffin tops...

Comments

• Options
    Callum CollumCallum Collum Posts: 4,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A real contender for the top sitcom ever. Terrific quality over a long period.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ...and Elaine's dancing, ASSMAN, "Master of my domain", the Merv Griffin set, the Soup Nazi, yada yada yada...
  • Options
    EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member
    Rolling Stone WWW site are celebrating Seinfeld's 25th anniversary:o

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/yada-yada-yada-larry-david-looks-back-at-25-years-of-seinfeld-20140707

They seem to be pretty much on continuous loop on Sky Atlantic, at the moment up to Series 4. The more I watch, the more I seem to empathise with George. :blush:
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Controversial as it is so beloved, but i personally didn't like it. I do have an odd sense of humor and if you gave me 20 sitcoms to check out, it's likely i would either like 1 or none as I am picky when it comes to sitcoms. I just didn't find it funny. I watched seasons 1, 2 and a bit of three so i gave it a fair go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Controversial as it is so beloved, but i personally didn't like it. I do have an odd sense of humor and if you gave me 20 sitcoms to check out, it's likely i would either like 1 or none as I am picky when it comes to sitcoms. I just didn't find it funny. I watched seasons 1, 2 and a bit of three so i gave it a fair go.

There's your problem, I think. For me, it didn't get unmissably funny until S4, maybe even S5. Even now, I can take or leave S1 and 2.

But comedy's a personal thing, which explains why people think Mrs Brown's Boys or Miranda is funny despite me thinking I'd rather have a colonoscopy than be subjected to either.

(Not that I'm accusing you of liking Mrs. Brown's Boys, you understand!)
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BigPat wrote: »
    There's your problem, I think. For me, it didn't get unmissably funny until S4, maybe even S5. Even now, I can take or leave S1 and 2.

But comedy's a personal thing, which explains why people think Mrs Brown's Boys or Miranda is funny despite me thinking I'd rather have a colonoscopy than be subjected to either.

(Not that I'm accusing you of liking Mrs. Brown's Boys, you understand!)

Haha it's fine and I don't like that show by the way
  • Options
    Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best sitcom of all time for me. Without a doubt.

"You made all the stops?"
    "I had to. People kept ringing the bell!"

"These PRETZELS are making ME THIRSTY."

"Moops. The correct answer is Moops."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been watching this steadily on Sky Atlantic for the past year or so now and, whilst I do agree with those who say it takes a little while to get going, I think when it does it's really fantastic.

At the moment I've seen S1-3 and 8-9 and am almost done with Season 4. My favourite character's Kramer, anyone else? I think my favourite episode is probably the Serenity Now (although the Contest is something pretty special as well- 'I'M OUT!' is comedy gold.)

Has anyone else seen Curb Your Enthusiasm and the Seinfeld Reunion that happened on that? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think everyone's favourite character was Kramer until The Comedy Club Incident...
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really, he's still my favourite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah, Kramer is just a little "too" wacky for me. Still funny. The "I'm out" line is delivered to such perfection though. But out of the four I think he's probably my least favourite. Although that does not mean he's bad.

I reckon my favourite is actually Elaine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    If we're picking favourites, it's gotta be George.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stripes85 wrote: »
    If we're picking favourites, it's gotta be George.

George is great as is his Mum and Dad! That reminds me - I also love the Festivus ep and the one where Frank has a flashback to the Korean War. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of all the supporting characters Frank Constanza was my favourite. Followed closely by Peterman (Elaine's boss).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's just a plethora of brilliant characters. Newman, Frank, Bania, Tim Whatley, Jackie, Uncle Leo...

It's no good. I'm going to have to go through my DVDs again. :D
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't see it on TV but had heard Seinfeld was very highly regarded and bought a very cheap Series 4 box set as an impulse buy years ago and was utterly bowled over; thought it was sublime, and the whole arc very clever. It's a wonderful show and even the early episodes where they are clearly finding their feet are well worth watching, but as it was my introduction, that series remains my favourite.

Hard to pick a favourite, but The Contest and the "Not that there's anything wrong with that." episode are right up there.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Geroge is one of the finest sit-com characters of all time.

Movie George. Coffee Shop George. Liar George. Bawdy George.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Geroge is one of the finest sit-com characters of all time.

Movie George. Coffee Shop George. Liar George. Bawdy George.

...Art Vandelay George
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hard to pick a favourite, but The Contest and the "Not that there's anything wrong with that." episode are right up there.

I love The Outing. I saw it for the first time the other day. I find it really clever how all the different plots together come together at the end.

And to add to the ever growing George list, 'anti-Semitic' limousine George is absolutely one of my faves. :D
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1710982&highlight=

Which do you prefer; Seinfeld or Friends? For me its too close to call

Kramer is definitely my favourite Seinfeld character
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    djfunnyman wrote: »

Friends was certainly extremely popular, sensationally so; but quality-wise it just doesn't even come close. The only thing that gives Seinfeld a run for its money is Frasier.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    djfunnyman wrote: »

I like them both for different reasons but I agree with you that it's a difficult question. I'd probably select Seinfeld at this moment in time because I don't think it's been screened to death - in Britain at least - and the characters for the most part are more consistent. It also reminds me a little bit of Arrested Development (well technically it should be the other way round) in that story threads from earlier episodes can climax earlier - like Jerry's girlfriend Marla the Virgin - and I really love that approach. It's more effective.

Also, Seinfeld has Kramer and George Costanza. :)
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seinfeld is one of, if not my absolute, favourite shows of all time. Seasons 4-6 were it's absolute peak I think but I love all of it and all of the main characters. George and Kramer are the best remembered and Jerry was obviously the titular star and character but I think Elaine is very underrated as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    Seinfeld is one of, if not my absolute, favourite shows of all time. Seasons 4-6 were it's absolute peak I think but I love all of it and all of the main characters. George and Kramer are the best remembered and Jerry was obviously the titular star and character but I think Elaine is very underrated as well.

Rolling Stone recently did a list of the 100 Greatest Seinfeld Characters and she placed top. I found it somewhat surprising but not undeserved. The Little Kicks dance she did was great.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    "Master of my domain". How could I forget that?

I never got the Frasier love, I'm afraid. I didn't like any of the characters and a couple of them (Jane Reeves and David Hyde Pierce) I'd go as far as to say I actively disliked. I much preferred Cheers.