Options

Indicating at a roundabout

tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
Forum Member
Why do some people indicate right when they enter a roundabout and are going straight on. Surely, their immediate act is to turn left, so how on earth can indicating right be the correct thing to do ? A lot of people do this and on many occasions I have attempted to overtake someone on the left who is going straight ahead because I have interpreted their indication of turning right as meaning they are turning right.

The only thing that annoys me more than this are drivers who just will not use a bus lane when it is not in use (and drive at 20mph in the right hand lane). Trouble is this is very prevalent - I use a couple of roads with bus lanes regularly that also have speed cams and I would say that 95% at least of drivers do not use the bus lane when they can.

Comments

• Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Worst thing is when people indicate at an exit too early.
    You pull out, then realise they're heading straight for you.Dangerous indicating.>:(
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if I'm going straight on at a roundabout, I actually indicate left for the road I'm going into just to show what I'm doing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    habby wrote: »
    Even if I'm going straight on at a roundabout, I actually indicate left for the road I'm going into just to show what I'm doing.

Yes, so do I
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm also a great believer in indicating only when it conveys information. For example, IMO indicating for a parked car is redundant (and potentially misleading). If you are not aware that the car in front of you is about to move out for a parked car then you shouldn't be on the road.
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't drive but I tend to swerve in and out of walking predestrians even if there are no roundabouts, though I do indicate sometimes.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    I'm also a great believer in indicating only when it conveys information. For example, IMO indicating for a parked car is redundant (and potentially misleading). If you are not aware that the car in front of you is about to move out for a parked car then you shouldn't be on the road.

This is true.If I'm driving along and I see someone in the distance waiting to cross.I'll indicate my intentions.They can take it or leave it.But at least I've done my bit.
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Isn't it for the cars on the other side of the roads benefit and pedestrians should there be any?
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,544
    Forum Member
    Why do some people indicate right when they enter a roundabout and are going straight on.

I don't know as I can't recall ever seeing this, or I didn't notice because it didn't cause a problem.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this that common? I've never noticed it in 7 or 8 years of driving.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Why do some people indicate right when they enter a roundabout and are going straight on.

Older drivers were taught to always indicate right when they are going straight ahead.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 118,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can't say this is something that I see very often.

I see far more drivers that use no indicators whatsoever when navigating a roundabout.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,931
    Forum Member
    I was taught the 12 o'clock rule.

You enter the roundabout at 6 o'clock, if the exit you want is further on than 12pm (i.e. straight ahead) then you indicate right.
    If it's at, say, 9 o'clock, you indicate left.

If you literally are going straight on to exit at 12o'clock then you don't indicate at all until you've gone passed the exit before 12 o'clock. Then you indicate left.

Is this really confusing?! It's not if you think of the roundabout as a clock!

edit: Oh look here it is explained:

http://www.monk1.com/resources/12oclock+roundabouts.pdf
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »

You enter the roundabout at 6 o'clock, if the exit you want is further on than 12pm (i.e. straight ahead) then you indicate right.

If you literally are going straight on to exit at 12o'clock then you don't indicate at all until you've gone passed the exit before 12 o'clock. Then you indicate left.

That's the way i was taught too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »

edit: Oh look here it is explained:

http://www.monk1.com/resources/12oclock+roundabouts.pdf

This got me thinking about a roundabout near me:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=jtwfow&s=8#.U8HOGJRdXTo (excuse the poor drawing).

I indicate right for junctions 2, 3 and 4 - although I always worry a bit about doing so for no.2
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't say this is something that I see very often.

I see far more drivers that use no indicators whatsoever when navigating a roundabout.

Hiya Jimbo.Nice to see you in your blazer at Wimbers last week!.
    I use my indicators if it helps anyone,road user or pedestrian.It's what seperates us from them.:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=jtwfow&s=8#.U8HOGJRdXTo (excuse the poor drawing).

I indicate right for junctions 2, 3 and 4 - although I always worry a bit about doing so for no.2

Why? Signalling right for junction two tells people waiting at junction one that you are not going straight ahead.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »

I would do the same, so that anyone waiting in the first junction would know not to pull out, then I would indicate left after the first junction, if turning down the second.
    A lot of indicating though depends on the size of the roundabout and the size of the exits.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meilie wrote: »
    Why? Signalling right for junction two tells people waiting at junction one that you are not going straight ahead.

Well yes, but I guess that's my point, it's neither strictly right, nor straight on. It's in 'the middle'.
  • Options
    TunnelVision9TunnelVision9 Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm currently taking lessons and my instructer said that it is quite surprising the number of drivers who think you can't use the bus lane.
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    I used to see it a lot in the land of roundabouts aka Milton Keynes, usually people who are unable to cope with the idea of the lanes on the approach to a roundabout still being valid through it, and the various amounts of white paint being pure decoration not an actual guide to how it all works.

It seems to me that as the idea of having indicators is to indicate your intentions to other road users, it makes more sense to use your indicators to indicate your intentions to other road users, as opposed to using them to give some vague of idea of where you may or may not be heading. I was once knocked off my bike on a roundabout by a bloke indicating right but actually turning left, so the idea of actively signalling your intentions rather than relying on the self cancelling mechanism is IMHO a good one.
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    vierte wrote: »
    That's the way i was taught too

Same here, whenever I approach a roundabout that's the first thing that pops into my head. It annoys me when people signal too early so they are signalling to come off at the next exit but start indicating before the previous exit. That's why I never pull out until I see the car actually turning in to the road or exit.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You obviously don't live anywhere near Peterborough, where none of the cars are equipped with indicators.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,544
    Forum Member
    Meilie wrote: »
    Older drivers were taught to always indicate right when they are going straight ahead.

Haha very funny. But in case anyone doesn't get the joke, we weren't.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    habby wrote: »

If I am going straight ahead at a very small roundabout I do not indicate at all.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 118,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    Hiya Jimbo.Nice to see you in your blazer at Wimbers last week!.
    I use my indicators if it helps anyone,road user or pedestrian.It's what seperates us from them.:p

:) Hello U. Glad you liked the blazer. ;-)
    I probably use my indicators a little too much for my own good if I am honest. :blush: (even when nobody benefits) :o