Options

Top 10 Signs You Are a Fundementalist Christian

Will2911Will2911 Posts: 464
Forum Member
Courtesy of Evilbible.com:

Top Ten Signs You're a Fundamentalist Christian

10 - You vigorously deny the existence of thousands of gods claimed by other religions, but feel outraged when someone denies the existence of yours.

9 - You feel insulted and "dehumanized" when scientists say that people evolved from other life forms, but you have no problem with the Biblical claim that we were created from dirt.

8 - You laugh at polytheists, but you have no problem believing in a Triune God.

7 - Your face turns purple when you hear of the "atrocities" attributed to Allah, but you don't even flinch when hearing about how God/Jehovah slaughtered all the babies of Egypt in "Exodus" and ordered the elimination of entire ethnic groups in "Joshua" including women, children, and trees!

6 - You laugh at Hindu beliefs that deify humans, and Greek claims about gods sleeping with women, but you have no problem believing that the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who got killed, came back to life and then ascended into the sky.

5 - You are willing to spend your life looking for little loopholes in the scientifically established age of Earth (few billion years), but you find nothing wrong with believing dates recorded by Bronze Age tribesmen sitting in their tents and guessing that Earth is a few generations old.

4 - You believe that the entire population of this planet with the exception of those who share your beliefs -- though excluding those in all rival sects - will spend Eternity in an infinite Hell of Suffering. And yet consider your religion the most "tolerant" and "loving."

3 - While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics have failed to convince you otherwise, some idiot rolling around on the floor speaking in "tongues" may be all the evidence you need to "prove" Christianity.

2 - You define 0.01% as a "high success rate" when it comes to answered prayers. You consider that to be evidence that prayer works. And you think that the remaining 99.99% FAILURE was simply the will of God.

1 - You actually know a lot less than many atheists and agnostics do about the Bible, Christianity, and church history - but still call yourself a Christian.

Comments

• Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do you know you're a pain the arse atheist?

1) you start half baked threads on the internet patronising Christians.

Well done OP, you've met the qualifying criteria.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »

.. :D
  • Options
    nobabydaddynobabydaddy Posts: 2,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fundie Christians hate gays and gay marriage and hide behind their bibles and god to express their bigotry and homophobia :D
  • Options
    collitcollit Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here we go again. :)
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok, looks like I'm a fundementalist Christian. What happens next?
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    isnt faith the belief in something you know not to be true?
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

^ what she said ^
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know if you a fundamentalist Christian when you refuse to let your children watch Harry Potter.
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will2911 wrote: »
    3 - While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics have failed to convince you otherwise, some idiot rolling around on the floor speaking in "tongues" may be all the evidence you need to "prove" Christianity..

Amazing :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing :D

Haha, aint that so true! :D
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought 8 was one 'ousia', 3 'hypostasis'.
    Tell me OP what do you think of Moltmann's views on this or Barth's ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fundie Christians hate gays and gay marriage and hide behind their bibles and god to express their bigotry and homophobia :D

That really is quite a nasty generalization. Or actually I think it is a tautology. If I find some devout, 'full Gospel' Christians who are not anti-gay you can just say they are not fundamentalist enough. http://www.love-amazing.com/gay.htm

The standard position among extremely fundamentalist groups is to require gay celibacy. Even that, although draconian, is not the same as saying that they 'hate gays'.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That really is quite a nasty generalization. Or actually I think it is a tautology. If I find some devout, 'full Gospel' Christians who are not anti-gay you can just say they are not fundamentalist enough. http://www.love-amazing.com/gay.htm

The standard position among extremely fundamentalist groups is to require gay celibacy. Even that, although draconian, is not the same as saying that they 'hate gays'.

TV has us believe Fundamentalists are like this:

http://www.minbcnews.com/uploadedImages/weyi/News/Stories/westboro%20photo.jpg?w=440&h=330&aspect=nostretch
  • Options
    Under SoulUnder Soul Posts: 2,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I'm a Christian, albeit a non fundamentalist one, I agreed with all of the points apart from I came to no. 3, just nasty and as for no.2 I can assure you that my prayer success rate, if I had to use such a ghastly term is a lot lot higher than 0.01% :)
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The website quoted (evil bible) is clearly an anti-Christian site.

I think the OP came on hoping to draw Christians into an arguement ;-)
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Am I supposed to take notice of Evilbible.com:confused::confused::confused:
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,945
    Forum Member
    Will2911 wrote: »
    Courtesy of Evilbible.com:

Top Ten Signs You're a Fundamentalist Christian

10 - You vigorously deny the existence of thousands of gods claimed by other religions, but feel outraged when someone denies the existence of yours.

9 - You feel insulted and "dehumanized" when scientists say that people evolved from other life forms, but you have no problem with the Biblical claim that we were created from dirt.

8 - You laugh at polytheists, but you have no problem believing in a Triune God.

7 - Your face turns purple when you hear of the "atrocities" attributed to Allah, but you don't even flinch when hearing about how God/Jehovah slaughtered all the babies of Egypt in "Exodus" and ordered the elimination of entire ethnic groups in "Joshua" including women, children, and trees!

6 - You laugh at Hindu beliefs that deify humans, and Greek claims about gods sleeping with women, but you have no problem believing that the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary, who then gave birth to a man-god who got killed, came back to life and then ascended into the sky.

5 - You are willing to spend your life looking for little loopholes in the scientifically established age of Earth (few billion years), but you find nothing wrong with believing dates recorded by Bronze Age tribesmen sitting in their tents and guessing that Earth is a few generations old.

4 - You believe that the entire population of this planet with the exception of those who share your beliefs -- though excluding those in all rival sects - will spend Eternity in an infinite Hell of Suffering. And yet consider your religion the most "tolerant" and "loving."

3 - While modern science, history, geology, biology, and physics have failed to convince you otherwise, some idiot rolling around on the floor speaking in "tongues" may be all the evidence you need to "prove" Christianity.

2 - You define 0.01% as a "high success rate" when it comes to answered prayers. You consider that to be evidence that prayer works. And you think that the remaining 99.99% FAILURE was simply the will of God.

1 - You actually know a lot less than many atheists and agnostics do about the Bible, Christianity, and church history - but still call yourself a Christian.

Hehe yes.
    If you've ever attended an Alpha course they are all exactly like this.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about taking out a full page advert in today's Times newspaper, completely filled with an enormous slab of text (no spaces between paragraphs) that's clearly the work of a lunatic? I could tell it was some kind of deranged, evangelist message by some very slightly larger text that formed a kind of headline. It would have been impossible to read, even by fellow sufferers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    sodavlac wrote: »
    Ok, looks like I'm a fundementalist Christian. What happens next?

You get a free alarm clock when you join your nearest COE establishment :D:p
  • Options
    angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just a regular Christian, I don't discount the Big Bang Theory, but I do smile when my beliefs are derided because science disproves them. I'd have more faith in scientists if they are sang from the same hymn sheet. Global warming? Yes or no, depending upon who you listen to. Wine? Good for you or bad for you depending upon who you listen to. Life on other planets? Of course there is/isn't...depending upon who you listen to.

So I will carry on with my Christian faith, I believe my prayers are answered, not always how I want them answered but then prayers aren't meant to be shopping lists or a trade off (Dear God, if you do this, I'll be really good in return).
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tealady wrote: »
    I thought 8 was one 'ousia', 3 'hypostasis'.
    Tell me OP what do you think of Moltmann's views on this or Barth's ?

Don't hold your breath, they can't even spell fundamentalist correctly.
    Priceless.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member

This. :D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You know if you a fundamentalist Christian when you refuse to let your children watch Harry Potter.

That was like a girl from my school and she couldn't dress scarily on Halloween because it celebrates demons or something.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calling satan satanic ....... hes quite a nice bloke really ........ people get so hung up about The Sin Thing ........
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    I'm just a regular Christian, I don't discount the Big Bang Theory, but I do smile when my beliefs are derided because science disproves them. I'd have more faith in scientists if they are sang from the same hymn sheet. Global warming? Yes or no, depending upon who you listen to. Wine? Good for you or bad for you depending upon who you listen to. Life on other planets? Of course there is/isn't...depending upon who you listen to.

So I will carry on with my Christian faith, I believe my prayers are answered, not always how I want them answered but then prayers aren't meant to be shopping lists or a trade off (Dear God, if you do this, I'll be really good in return).

Don't Christian sects also disagree with each other on key points?