Options

Cabinet Reshuffle- Rumours and what you have heard?

Comments

• Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    Wow. More straws.
    So you think that people whose children go to school or who receive benefits can't be Tory supporters.

Wow, no wonder you think IDS and Gove are doing a good job.

Next you'll be saying Hague was the best FS for decades like Kevin Brennan MP who tweeted: I've known William Hague for over 3 decades and although we've never agreed politically I can't imagine any better Tory Foreign Secretary

Well that's possible - he may not have much imagination
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,919
    Forum Member
    David Tee wrote: »
    The Press have picked up Hammond (next Foreign Secretary) being on the record as saying he would vote to leave the EU is substantial powers are not returned.

I think Hammond is there as a stop gap for George Osborne to do the job IF the Tories win the election next year.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Is that how you speak about all women? You charmer.
    No, just her. ^_^
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,919
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Hague is on a final salary pension - if he stays in the Cabinet he more than doubles his pension for life compared to just an ordinary MPs salary!

Is it true that former cabinet secretaries of state get a pension based on their cabinet pay?
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    So you think that people whose children go to school or who receive benefits can't be Tory supporters.

Next you'll be saying Hague was the best FS for decades like Kevin Brennan MP who tweeted: I've known William Hague for over 3 decades and although we've never agreed politically I can't imagine any better Tory Foreign Secretary

Well that's possible - he may not have much imagination

the panel on Newsnight were saying that Hague never had much of a vision.......his 'big idea' apparently was to use British Embassies as Business Conference centres and flying arms dealers around the world with the PM

That fizzled out a bit as it got some bad press

After that he just went native and became the archetypal Foreign Office manadarin......increasingly 'soft' on Europe
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Of course I don't, and nor did I say that.

I don't think there will be any meaningful transference of votes over the issues of welfare and schools - for every one that leaves, there'll be another one back in. The last time I checked, there was more support for the governments' reform on benefits and support for free schools is significant.

However, I do appreciate you will want - hell, need - such transference to happen if Labour are to be elected.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I definitely didn't see Hague going. The question is why?

The most likely answer is that he thinks he's better off outside of Westminster - which I don't blame him. I really don't know whybut any intelligent, ambitious person would want to be in politics. But then he basically grew up with politics and I'd be surprised if he could just walk away.

Any chance that he was pushed? Skeletons in the closet maybe? Scandal?
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hugh Robertson is out of the foreign office too.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In the monthly Cabinet league table on ConservativeHome, Duncan Smith (why doesn't anyone use his real surname?) and Gove are in the top three most popular:
    http://www.conservativehome.com/thetorydiary/2014/07/all-change-at-the-top-of-our-cabinet-league-table-osborne-replaces-may.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well I definitely didn't see Hague going. The question is why?

The most likely answer is that he thinks he's better off outside of Westminster - which I don't blame him. I really don't know whybut any intelligent, ambitious person would want to be in politics. But then he basically grew up with politics and I'd be surprised if he could just walk away.

Any chance that he was pushed? Skeletons in the closet maybe? Scandal?

I remember when he was appointed Foreign Secretary it was said that he was a bit reluctant and had to be persuaded to take the job.........apparently he's not keen on all the overseas trips and time commitments that the job dictates

he likes his life outside Westminster.........family, friends, hobbies etc

So I guess he just wants to get on with his real life while he's still fairly young

He's not done bad career-wise........party leader and Foreign Sec and still only n his 50s
  • Options
    iain_stevenson1iain_stevenson1 Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rumours are that we're about to have the first ever female defence secretary. Could it be Esther McVey? She would put the fear of death in me anyway!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I remember when he was appointed Foreign Secretary it was said that he was a bit reluctant and had to be persuaded to take the job.........apparently he's not keen on all the overseas trips and time commitments that the job dictates

Having Hague back at home will mean that he can spend much more time on the election campaign.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rumours are that we're about to have the first ever female defence secretary. Could it be Esther McVey? She would put the fear of death in me anyway!

Penny Mordaunt would be a good option in those circumstances.
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

thought she is getting ken's old job
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's like Cameron took all the Cabinet ministers I could vaguely tolerate and culled them all. Just when I was thinking that Labour hadn't done enough to deserve my vote Cameron decides to lurch to the right and forces me to vote Labour to get rid of the tea party nutcases.
  • Options
    basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Hammond also said this last year. http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2013/01/28/exclusive-defence-secretary-philip-hammond-links-incest-with-same-sex-marriage/
    How embossing for Britain to have him representing Britain as the main global representative.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think Defence and Chancellor are the only two top jobs which have never been done by a woman.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Defence and Chancellor are the only two top jobs which have never been done by a woman.

I don't think we've ever had a female lord chancellor, or whatever were calling the role these days, either.
  • Options
    heskethbangheskethbang Posts: 4,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm rather dismayed that William Hague is leaving. The rest of the cabinet seem young and callow, whereas Hague is reasoned, intelligent, a fine debater, and respected on all sides of the house.
    Compare him to the 'free on the back of cornflakes packet', lightweight Carlton TVesque, cheap and nasty on- message bilge puppets that frequent both front benches of the Commons.
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    Rafer wrote: »
    I don't think we've ever had a female lord chancellor, or whatever were calling the role these days, either.

Technically still Lord Chancellor, but they are also Secretary of State for Justice as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rafer wrote: »

That's true. It just shows how much the job has been downgraded in recent years that I didn't even consider it as one of the "top jobs" any more.

Oh and another job which has never had a woman is the elected leader of the Labour Party (although Margaret Beckett was Acting Leader for a while) between Smith and Blair.
  • Options
    bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rumour going round is that Liam Fox is to Return as Environment Sec:confused:
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    Oh and another job which has never had a woman is the elected leader of the Labour Party (although Margaret Beckett was Acting Leader for a while) between Kinnock and Blair.

Beckett was acting leader after John Smith died.

Harman was also acting leader between Brown and Miliband. She was the first female leader of a major party not called Margaret lol.

The Lib Dems have never had a female leader.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    Beckett was acting leader after John Smith died. .

Of course you are right. My mistake.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    bingoman wrote: »
    Rumour going round is that Liam Fox is to Return as Environment Sec:confused:

that would be an own goal

he didn't resign for nothing !

it would bring all the stories surrounding his resignation back up again