Options

Nick and Margaret: Too Many Immigrants?

Comments

• Options
    SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    Borings isn't it? I know lots of indigenous carers, indigenous nurses, white people who volunteer and take care of others.

Not surprised - pretty much what I expected...it is the BBC when all said and done.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The English people can't find a job because that French girl took one. rolleyes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stegan wrote: »
    Not surprised - pretty much what I expected...it is the BBC when all said and done.

Exactly what I said earlier on in the thread. I could see which way this was going to go after a few minutes.
  • Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    We don't have real capitalism or a free market.

The banks got bailed out and the unemployed are being scape goated for the ills of the bankers.

But in the context of paying wages, the state does not dictate the pay scale of a construction worker, for example. It is left to the company/employer to decide.
  • Options
    AndaghaAndagha Posts: 31,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yay Doner meat and chips.

OMG 19 immigrants sharing a house. And people wonder why they can afford to work for less pay.

I can't believe that, is that actually allowed? And why is it only foreign people that seem to share with a large amount of people.. British people won't share with more than 4 if necesssary..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So why could he not employ those British people that asked for a job.. That guy seemed to want to employ the foreigners..
  • Options
    rovermacrovermac Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stegan wrote: »
    Should be good for a laugh. Call me cynical, but I imagine many of the people on the show 'concerned' about immigration will no doubt be changing their minds and saying that mass immigration it turns out is a very, very good thing and only a racist would say otherwise. What's the betting?

Why would you be cynical in that assertion? It could be the truth.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Social Dumping.
  • Options
    Hayley_babyHayley_baby Posts: 15,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That bloke just judged all english people saying they don't want to work. Would he even a hire a english person is the real question?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Andagha wrote: »
    I can't believe that, is that actually allowed? And why is it only foreign people that seem to share with a large amount of people.. British people won't share with more than 4 if necesssary..

I can't live with other people because of my condition. Even living in a flat was impossible.

Rent for 19 immigrants £55 each vs £180 for single UK person.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    300 quid a week on minimum wage? I don't believe it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That bloke just judged all english people saying they don't want to work. Would he even a hire a english person is the real question?

He hired 3 or 4 out of 10 UK residents.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know when I'm in Asda or Morrisons, we have bus loads of the immigrants from the area come in and then they get all the reduced stuff. Oh and they get really shirty if you try and get past them so you can look at the reduced stuff... And don't get me on the stuff that doesn't get through the tills....
  • Options
    Hayley_babyHayley_baby Posts: 15,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He hired 3 or 4 out of 10 UK residents.

Well its good to know he gives english people a chance.

I know there are some bosses who wont hire anyone born in this country they'd rather immigrants because they can't understand english and they pay them a pittance.
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yay Doner meat and chips.

OMG 19 immigrants sharing a house. And people wonder why they can afford to work for less pay.

Except that they are not working for less pay.
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member

You realise it is like that in EVERY part of the UK? Seriously, the hospitality trade is filled with people from other countries and sadly for you, what that man says is true. The UK people don't want to stay in those jobs! I know because I'm one of them. I worked in a hotel for a couple of months during Uni summer holidays and I met other people doing the same. Once we are back at uni what do you think happened? We all left and the boss was in the lurch. Is it any wonder he filled the roles with Polish people since they actually wanted to stay in those jobs long term and not give the boss a headache.
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't live with other people because of my condition. Even living in a flat was impossible.

Rent for 19 immigrants £55 each vs £180 for single UK person.

It's cheaper because they're sharing.
    If 19 UK people wanted to do it they could except they don't because they want a room to themselves and don't want to share.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why should the English couple have to integrate? This is their country.. it is up to those coming in to integrate.
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite agree about Ilford. Every time I go down the High Road I could be the only white English person sometimes. :( Even if you see another white person they're normally East European!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    Except that they are not working for less pay.

It is less if they don't have to pay more rent.

It is less if wages would be higher if workers didn't accept work at minimum wages.

And there are plenty of jobs done by immigrants that do pay less illegally.
  • Options
    RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This program has the wrong title.. this is trying to enforce that foreigners can be ok people. We never argue that.. our problem has nothing to do with their personalities.. it`s the fact that our public services are at bursting point and more are coming.
  • Options
    SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    Nick ...the secret is it's cheap labour who can be worked to death working long hours and are prepared to put up with awful conditions by many greedy and ruthless employers who couldn't care a s@@t about them.

People here built up their wages and conditions, hard fought and won over many, many years - as it turns out for nothing. Immigrants are simply being used and abused in many cases to the detriment of the indigenous population.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Randysback wrote: »
    This program has the wrong title.. this is trying to enforce that foreigners can be ok people. We never argue that.. our problem has nothing to do with their personalities.. it`s the fact that our public services are at bursting point and more are coming.

It has never really been about people it's about numbers.
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't blame Filipinos for coming here when we have actively recruited them.
    But I do feel they were employed because they could be paid less than UK workers.

To be fair they work damn hard, my old neighbour is in a care home for dementia suffers which is staffed mainly by Filipinos and they are absolutely wonderful towards the residents and have a strong work ethic
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    habby wrote: »
    I quite agree about Ilford. Every time I go down the High Road I could be the only white English person sometimes. :( Even if you see another white person they're normally East European!!!

It's like that in Gravesend now..

Also I think in my town we have more Eastern Europeans coming in that ever now... Well it does feel like that when you walk down the high street and they are gabbling away to themselves..