Options

EE 2G/3G/4G Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    I've used a 3 sim and an EE sim in the same location, using the same Ookla server (Amsterdam) and EE comes out worse 80% of the time.... That I can only blame on backhaul on the network end, not the app... Getting 30+ meg on 3 4G and less than 4 meg on EE 4G is worrying.... as I believe EE overall is still the best network as in other places it knocks the other networks stone dead. Please sort Plymouth out :)
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Trying to get answers to whats going. To add to the weirdness, my phone is on a Double Speed tariff, the other half is on the ordinary tariff. Yet she gets much better speeds than I and doesn't suffer the slow downs Ive been seeing!
  • Options
    tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,666
    Forum Member
    Trying to get answers to whats going. To add to the weirdness, my phone is on a Double Speed tariff, the other half is on the ordinary tariff. Yet she gets much better speeds than I and doesn't suffer the slow downs Ive been seeing!
    Worrying for those of us on older tarrifs before DS was sold separately.
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    It's bloody crap everywhere down here at the mo.
    I can't get more that about 10 meg in Newton Abbot anywhere.
    I don;t quite understand the issue here really.
    Clearly the mast itself it capable of much faster than this as 3G was pulling in 15-17 at one point. So I have a 4G sector where I can see the mast about 500 metres away.
    Even 1x5Mhz should get around 15 meg at some point yet constantly it's 6-10 max!.
    Same in Plymouth or on the outskirts in Ivybridge.
    What is going on?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    It's bloody crap everywhere down here at the mo.
    I can't get more that about 10 meg in Newton Abbot anywhere.
    I don;t quite understand the issue here really.
    Clearly the mast itself it capable of much faster than this as 3G was pulling in 15-17 at one point. So I have a 4G sector where I can see the mast about 500 metres away.
    Even 1x5Mhz should get around 15 meg at some point yet constantly it's 6-10 max!.
    Same in Plymouth or on the outskirts in Ivybridge.
    What is going on?

Friends here on T-Mobile 3G used to get 10 to 11 Mbps on average, now getting 3 Mbps, and on 4G I'm getting ~10Mbps when last year I was getting 20+.

Either EE is suffering from growing too fast for the infrastructure, or something bad is going on :-/
  • Options
    paulkerpaulker Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EE4g has seriously gone downhill in Glasgow too. Very disappointing.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in Cheshunt at the moment, a double speed area.

Done many tests and getting around 25-30Mbps most of the time, but some are peaking at 70-80! Maybe 1 in every 7-8 tests are this high. Very odd, but the same as I get at home.

Something is up, and it's not a recent problem either.

Uplink speeds also vary quite a bit, and it's not just the Ookla speed test app, but also Root Metrics. Can't be helping EE's results!
  • Options
    davybhoydavybhoy Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must be the only person that sees not a great difference. Yes, the very rare time I'll see less than 10Mbps down and up but I frequently see well over 30Mbps down and on occasion I still get over that up too. The latest results have a a few of over 80 Mbps down and over 40Mbps up.

Here's some tests from June and July Here

And some from further back in April Here
  • Options
    Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Just got 2.8 down, 3.2 up on 4G in Crownhill, Plymouth ....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    davybhoy wrote: »
    I must be the only person that sees not a great difference.
    Location will have a big effect, you're in NI and so probably the EE network is quite different how it connects back to the central core.

Here in Farnborough, Hampshire just now, holding phone in the window, with mast in site the other side of the nursing home opposite:
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/902197922
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jchamier wrote: »
    Location will have a big effect, you're in NI and so probably the EE network is quite different how it connects back to the central core.

Here in Farnborough, Hampshire just now, holding phone in the window, with mast in site the other side of the nursing home opposite:
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/902197922

Here in Nottingham a couple of km from the nearest mast with 1 bar of signal on 4G
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/891549726 (31.11 down 16.09 up)

or over on 3G with 2 bars of signal
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/891554470 (3.65 down, 0.73 up)

Not the fastest 4G I've ever had but certainly not too shabby, and the 3G is about twice as fast as it was on T-Mobile!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kev wrote: »
    Not the fastest 4G I've ever had but certainly not too shabby, and the 3G is about twice as fast as it was on T-Mobile!

Good number of 4G, but Nottingham is a double speed area, so I'd hope you'd get 30Mbps most of the time. (depending if you're on a ds price plan!).

3G is pretty low, you should get more than that. When I was on T-Mobile for 3 years before moving to EE 4G last year I could get 19Mbps at midnight, and during the day between 7 to 12 Mbps. However nowadays if I turn off 4G the 3G speeds are more like 3 to 4 Mbps.

My friends O2 3G around here generally manages 4 to 6 Mbps, and my work Vodafone now manages 3G at 7 Mbps - but they've only managed that this year.
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jchamier wrote: »
    Good number of 4G, but Nottingham is a double speed area, so I'd hope you'd get 30Mbps most of the time. (depending if you're on a ds price plan!).

3G is pretty low, you should get more than that. When I was on T-Mobile for 3 years before moving to EE 4G last year I could get 19Mbps at midnight, and during the day between 7 to 12 Mbps. However nowadays if I turn off 4G the 3G speeds are more like 3 to 4 Mbps.

Only a single speed price plan - the only time it goes less than 30mbps is when Nottingham Forest are playing at home (I lose 2G and 3G signal entirely during the matches - VoWiFi and VoLTE will be a godsend) when it drops to around 15 - 20mbps.

I don't think I've ever seen above 4mbps on 3G, but it's very rare I see H+ being displayed either - nearly always just flicking between 3G & E - I managed 3G+ for the whole of the Speedtest today, more often than not it's showing 0 bars for 3G (the two bars I got today are a rarity at home).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's an example of the sort of nonsense I'm getting on EE. (Doublespeed mobile broadband account, 15GB a month)

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3623407702

What's going on with EE at the moment? My Orange SIM (for voice) is 3G only and that's even worse - getting pings of 2000+ ms and speeds of 0.01Mbps in both directions or even 0.00!
  • Options
    paulkerpaulker Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    Here's an example of the sort of nonsense I'm getting on EE. (Doublespeed mobile broadband account, 15GB a month)

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3623407702

What's going on with EE at the moment? My Orange SIM (for voice) is 3G only and that's even worse - getting pings of 2000+ ms and speeds of 0.01Mbps in both directions or even 0.00!

No idea but its pi$$ poor.
  • Options
    steffanglsteffangl Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    I have also experienced poor speeds over the last 2 weeks, both with EE 4G and EE 3G.

I'd describe it as inconsistent more than anything. E.g yesterday data was going at GPRS-like speeds in web browsing and speed tests. I toggled airplane mode on and back off and then it was back to working as normal for a few hours. Then it went back to slow with speedtest showing ping of ~700ms but actual d/l speeds were good.

This is on a non-congested cell with generally good performance.

As for 4G, speeds are around 4meg up, 4 meg down which is perfectly usable but far from what I'd call real 4G speeds, and far from speeds I've been used to. I should add I have tried a few different speedtest servers with similar results.

Anyway, I hope this is temporary and there's some major work going on in the core network somewhere rather than an indication of things to come - it's a bit embarrassing that I can get better performance on O2 3G900 than both EE 4G and DC-HSPA in this area!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is EE perhaps experimenting with something akin to Three's TrafficSense? Perhaps not yet announced.

I say this because I recall all sorts of problems just as Three introduced that, and initially managed everyone (either intentionally, or through some faulty configuration).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is EE perhaps experimenting with something akin to Three's TrafficSense? Perhaps not yet announced.
    That would make a lot of sense.

Here today even voice calls couldn't be received, everything going to voicemail - something to do with being in Farnborough with the AirShow on I suspect - but my iPhone 5s visual voicemail over 4G worked fine, and all my data services were working fine. I suspect not many airshow attendees (Businesses) had 4G :-)
  • Options
    matty1000kkmatty1000kk Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    Have EE started to install any 800mhz antennas yet?

The only reason I ask is that a semi rural 2G only Orange mast (not decommissioned as of a month ago) in my area looks to have had the old antennas removed (typical 2 antennas per sector, 6 total) and replaced with one per sector. The odd thing is they don't look like any of the newer style EE antennas but a lot longer like a Voda/O2 antenna. Have EE started installing some of the NSN flexi base stations with different Antennas?

My phone didn't connect to it on my way past so I can't say if it's transmitting at the moment but I intend to take another look. The only other thought I had is that EE have decommissioned this mast and Cornerstone (Voda/O2) have installed some newer kit.
  • Options
    Skippy2005Skippy2005 Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello guys. I hope your all well and one of you can answer me a question. Ive been suffering from very weak 2/3g signal indoors now for several days. I spoke to a very helpful guy at EE that said closet to me was being optimised (with a 30 day turn around) and another site slightly south west of me is down. Hence the signal problems.

This may sound a dumb question but does this mean the site is being upgraded? Both sites I talk about are orange sites with dire capacity as tmobile doesnt have many sites around this area. Ive looked on some forums and people have said when EE optimise a site they are basically turning it off?????

MBNL TM/3 is very weak here even outdoors but Orange is rock solid indoors and out.

So basically im asking
    1) is this being upgraded with new equipment and backhaul.
    2) is it being MBNL'd with 3
    3) is it being 4g enabled?

Im in the middle of the two sites mentioned. The site being optimised is on Carr House Rodney yard and the down site is on thornes lane (which is a macro lattice tower) im in wakefield wf1 1dg if this helps.

Thanks in advance :-)
  • Options
    AlecRAlecR Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you ask EE what's wrong, they always say a mast is down.

Call back 30 days later and they'll have never heard of the issue.

I suspect your signal is crap because the mast is too far away from you to be honest. It may also be due to EE decommissioning a mast (I doubt they would inform you of that).
  • Options
    DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member

I say this because I recall all sorts of problems just as Three introduced that, and initially managed everyone (either intentionally, or through some faulty configuration).

I doubt it. That was to throttle three's unlimited plan wasn't it?
    With EE you pay for your data. I would be pretty miffed if they started throttling my 15GB mobile broadband account (same as yours I guess). At £20 per month I would not be a happy bunny.
    Not so bad as you down here.
    As I said I too am on the full double speed 15GB plan although 4G is a few months away here is my 3G result.
    The mast is 2.3 miles away slightly out of sight. My Huawei B593 gets 1 bar at -99 dBm.
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3626820879
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know I'd be angry too, given I'm paying for a fixed allowance (with a hard cap) but there has to be some reason. Or else it's simply congestion, and that's quite worrying if the case! Surely EE is boasting about being built for speed (and it has got a big advantage over the rest) and so it can't be reaching saturation point yet?
  • Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha hi all been a bit. I agree with you though Jon EE certainly can't be struggling with capacity already if they are it is pretty bad news for Three and O2. If they are testing some sort of traffic shaping it isn't really on if people are paying for a set amount of data a month.

In others news EE seem to have a different time system then the rest of the world. Couple of months before Christmas I was happy to see that on EE's checker. It said I would be getting my local mast upgraded to 4G within 6 months, and it still isn't done and we are nearly 9 months on since then

PS Devon that is a pretty good signal strength and speed hope your 4G signal is just as good. Interesting it shows up as Orange instead of T-Mobile though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    enapace wrote: »
    Interesting it shows up as Orange instead of T-Mobile though.

EE seem to have merged the data network IP addresses - so when I do a speed test here on 4G, I can sometimes get a T-Mobile label or sometimes an Orange label for the same speed.

I suspect one day they'll update RIPE with the fact EE own both IP ranges :)
This discussion has been closed.