Options

Utopia, C4&HD, 10pm, 15-22-29 Jan 5-12 Feb

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I was amazed that the kid looked so much like the grown-up Arby; same vacant glum expression. I wonder if some CGI was involved in certain scenes to maintain his 'look'.

The music was spooky & excellent, even better than last series'.

I read (think it was in one of the papers) that in order to get that look off them (it as a pair of twins who played Arby), the director had a video of Toy Story directly under his camera as that was the only thing that would mesmerise them. :D
  • Options
    TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was a decent opener but, unlike some others who have already posted, I didn't think it added a great deal to the back-story that we already knew about from the first series.

I'm looking forward to tonight's episode and the rest of the series though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    TCD1975 wrote: »
    I thought it was a decent opener but, unlike some others who have already posted, I didn't think it added a great deal to the back-story that we already knew about from the first series.

Well as with most second series of long-running dramas like this, they have to take into account new viewers and so a lot of the back-story is for their benefit to help them catch up or at least have an idea of what's going on without having seen the first series.

I agree with an earlier comment that this has a very "Lost" feel to it. Let's hope we don't get strung along for 5 seasons with a terrible ending. I think Dennis Kelly has already said he sees this as a 3-parter which I think would be just the right length.

The bunny-rabbit scene was very disturbing but cleverly filmed. Made me think of similar techniques Dynamo uses although I doubt the Utopia staff are as smug or "David Blaine" about it - ooooh miaow!!
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brush wrote: »
    I think Dennis Kelly has already said he sees this as a 3-parter which I think would be just the right length.

If the ratings don`t improve I`m not sure we`ll get a third run. Tonight`s will be interesting - Best we can hope for is that they hold steady and don`t drop precipitously.
  • Options
    teeswolfteeswolf Posts: 3,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    If the ratings don`t improve I`m not sure we`ll get a third run. Tonight`s will be interesting - Best we can hope for is that they hold steady and don`t drop precipitously.

What are the ratings like? Must admit I was drawn to this when I saw comment on Twitter that Rose Leslie was in this. Surprised that wasn't publicised more, as I'm sure a lot of GoT fans would have switched on to see 'Ygritte'.

Anyway, I'm going to watch the first series now, before the rest of this series. I thought Rose was excellent by the way, shame it seems for one episode only.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    teeswolf wrote: »
    What are the ratings like?

Appalling - 556K.
  • Options
    AlabasterCodifyAlabasterCodify Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Its a shame about the ratings, though I do notice there hasn't been nearly as much publicity for this series as there was the first. I remember bilboards and a lot of online advertising for Series 1.

Seems a lot quieter on here about it too, the Series 1 thread was one of the main reasons I joined the site!
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will probably move to the BBC if there's another series. I don't know why they're bothered about the ratings, because anyone with any sense will be recording it and skipping the ads.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That should put a couple of million viewers onto it :D

Not that I'm bothered, because very nearly every programme at the top of the ratings charts is crap.
  • Options
    kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved the first series and really liked this first episode can't wait for tonight's.

Have to say a big well done to all involved it's great to see such a top notch programme come from our shores :) if we only get this series and not another after it'll still be 6 episodes I wasn't expecting, and it'll be 6 episodes of top quality TV, Id rather have 6 episodes of this than months of X factor etc anyway
  • Options
    T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because of your ridiculous mistakes we have no other choice than to torture you, politely of course!

I'm really looking forward to tonight's episode, we get to see what's happened to the gang (although the trailers have kind of spoiled it by showing all the main characters are back).

I thought last night's episode had an almost Adam Curtis-like feel to it. I loved the old 4:3 picture format and how it was rounded at the edges to resemble the old TV's. The over-saturated colours worked well as always (very Wes Anderson) and the whole show is just really well produced. You can tell a lot of thought and love goes into making it.

LOL :D. Apologies, don't gouge out my eye! :o

Agreed. Can't wait for tonight's episode. Last night's flashback has made me even more eager to see the gang in the present day. So glad Channel 4 decided to air the show over two consecutive nights. As Grant would say, "Fookin' yes!" :D
  • Options
    T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No surprise there then. The Daily Fail have nothing better to do really.
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it , had a great atmosphere , excellent directing and acting , but I was a bit confused by some things :

why was the young Geraldine James character so intent on getting Janus ? I mean to the extent that she'd have a child tortured ? is there more to come about that ?

and why were they at 3 mile island ?

• Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nice cinematography there with the house and the street.
  • Options
    kegsiekegsie Posts: 2,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disappointed RB didn't bump off that brat from the Oreo adverts then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It should be safe to go down and start watching it soon, as nearly enough time should have passed to fast forward through the ad breaks
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good to see Diane Morgan in this, shame it is only a small part.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Good to see Philomena Cunk in this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Good to see Diane Morgan in this, shame it is only a small part.

Snap lol.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was a funny chase - dragging a dying body.

Arby is cool.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    His name is Pietr, I wouldn't get it wrong if I were you.
  • Options
    NightFox_DancerNightFox_Dancer Posts: 14,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good to see Philomena Cunk in this.

First thing that sprung to mind the minute I saw her. :D
  • Options
    GatehouseGatehouse Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Dang, didn't know this thread was back alive, I've been posting in the Sci-fi thread!

Well I didn't care for the first episode and just got annoyed by young Millner, but this was much more like it. My thoughts from the other thread:

I thought that was fantastic! Maskell on tip-top form yet again kinda stealing the show for me. His opening scene with the bag was so tense. Lee's comeback was hilarious and terrifying all at once, even with an e-cigarette!

I'm always glad to see Kevin Eldon and his scene's were high farce, something he does brilliantly.

Interesting that we have a cast change with Donaldson. I'll really miss Simon McBurney, but Michael Maloney is proving a quality replacement thus far. His "tied to a man having a heart attack" scene with Eldon was perfectly played for just the right mixture of laugh's and terror.

Arby's killing spree...this is a bit like if Vadar had made it out alive and gone on to fight for the Rebel's, isn't it? :D