Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 60)

Comments

• Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    That still means BBC1 have, for a 6 week period, showed virtually non-stop sport, which means a service has been provided for those who like sports. But a minimal or non existent service for those who don't. Ratings orienated or not, the BBC are meant to provide a variety of populist programmes on BBC1. They haven't.

With all due respect, rubbish. There's been a full daytime schedule, the regular news programmes, an entire series of Celebrity Masterchef, 'stEnders in its full compement of episodes each week, Holby every week, Casualty every week, Countryfile every week, a couple of dramas like Common, a couple of episodes of The Graham Norton Show, Ratings Thread fave Traffic Cops, the new John Bishop show, a couple more documentaries and, because it's the summer, repeats of things like Mrs Brown, WILTY and Live At The Appalling. Unless you have the most ridiculously specific tastes, or you watch telly all night every night, I fail to see how none of that appeals at all.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With all due respect, rubbish. There's been a full daytime schedule, the regular news programmes, an entire series of Celebrity Masterchef, 'stEnders in its full compement of episodes each week, Holby every week, Casualty every week, Countryfile every week, a couple of dramas like Common, a couple of episodes of The Graham Norton Show, Ratings Thread fave Traffic Cops, the new John Bishop show, a couple more documentaries and, because it's the summer, repeats of things like Mrs Brown, WILTY and Live At The Apollo. Unless you have the most ridiculously specific tastes, or you watch telly all night every night, I fail to see how none of that appeals at all.
    Absolutely correct. As non-sports fan over those six weeks, I have enjoyed all of the programmes that I follow, I have had a full TV service, even Gardener's World survived Wimbledon this time,albeit at 9pm.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I far prefer the BBC's approach of sticking the Games on one channel and leaving it be than their piecemeal scheduling during Wimbledon where people have to take pot luck over what is airing and when. I suppose the debate is whether it should be shown on BBC One or BBC Two's but the latter's schedules have been far more settled over the past few weeks (excluding Wimbledon) so I guess it makes more sense to keep that going and disrupt BBC One. On the EastEnders issue, it survived the Olympics so it will survive this.

On to last night and Long Lost Family came back around where many expected it to be. It was held back slightly by a strongly performing Royal Marines Commando School while Australia didn't disgrace itself. University Challenge is still a very good performer for BBC Two though the channel went from good to average from 8.30pm onwards. Big Brother has proven there's life left in it yet as long as it's handled properly.

As for the soaps, a bit more respectability across the board though the Emmerdale raw figure looks slightly low but Hollyoaks and the Australian soaps did quite well in their earlier slots.
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Across the board at 9pm last night that's quite a strong showing for everything given the volume of competition and the summer weather.
  • Options
    ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A thirteen hour programme covering the Commonwealth Games doesn't need "a more prominent place in the TV guides"? Do you think viewers are just going to switch on at 9am and wait until the sport they're interested in comes on? No, clearly they want to know what's happening when during those thirteen hours, ergo it demands more room. I buy the Radio Times for detailed information about programmes, it doesn't matter what page that information is on as long as I get it.

And of course the information about Channel Five remains more detailed than any other publication, regardless of what page it's on, as it's the only TV guide that credits the producer and director of Stand By Your Man.
    Could not agree with this more. I buy the Radio Times because it gives me more info than any other magazine, and with the 2012 Olympics and now the 2014 Commonwealth Games they are really excelling in doing that.

As a sports fan it's a dream, I can plan out my viewing, knowing that for example the track cycling finals are on BBC1 at 4.11, 4.55 and 5.38 on Friday afternoon or that England play their first Hockey match on BBC3 on Thursday at 7.

It gives me everything I need to know, and Channel 5 moving pages for a week and a bit isn't the slightest issue.

And I think it's great it's getting such comprehensive coverage. It absolutely should IMO.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regarding the Commonwealth Games being on BBC One - I suspect there is the political aspect as well. Putting it on BBC Two with limited hours would have probably drawn criticisms from those north of the border and comparisons with London 2012, hence why BBC have done exactly the same as they did with London 2012.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree that the Radio Times have got it right this time, they don't get as much right as they used to, the awful daytime listings and the fact there were less comprehensive with the World Cup schedules than almost every other tv mag in the market were recent let downs in my opinion.

I would possibly have put daytime or at least morning Commonwealth Games action on BBC2, picking up on BBC1 after 1:45 and for prime time. The fact it takes over the entire channel only ever seen before with London 2012 which at the time was supposed to be unprecidented, does look a bit over the top and like they are trying a bit too hard to make it 'another London 2012' which does a disservice to both events in my opinion.

I wouldn't have put any prime time action on BBC2 though, as you'd only end up with a situation like at Wimbledon, with the programmes swapping back and forth at a moments notice if a major medal was about to be won.
  • Options
    basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    I agree that the Radio Times have got it right this time, they don't get as much right as they used to, the awful daytime listings and the fact there were less comprehensive with the World Cup schedules than almost every other tv mag in the market were recent let downs in my opinion.

I would possibly have put daytime or at least morning Commonwealth Games action on BBC2, picking up on BBC1 after 1:45 and for prime time. The fact it takes over the entire channel only ever seen before with London 2012 which at the time was supposed to be unprecidented, does look a bit over the top and like they are trying a bit too hard to make it 'another London 2012' which does a disservice to both events in my opinion.

I wouldn't have put any prime time action on BBC2 though, as you'd only end up with a situation like at Wimbledon, with the programmes swapping back and forth at a moments notice if a major medal was about to be won.
    I think the action in the morning is stronger most days with heats in swimming, athletics and cycling than around 2-3 pm where other sports are more prominent.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,697
    Forum Member
    A thirteen hour programme covering the Commonwealth Games doesn't need "a more prominent place in the TV guides"? Do you think viewers are just going to switch on at 9am and wait until the sport they're interested in comes on? No, clearly they want to know what's happening when during those thirteen hours, ergo it demands more room.
    I disagree. TV & Satellite Week has a dedicated sport section which will break all that down. It doesn't need to be detailed in a full length BBC Three column. Otherwise before you know it ITV and C4 will be losing their space to detailed listings of BBC 301 and 302 as well, and then they can go the full hog and rebrand it the BBC Times which it has been for years anyway. :p

Ultimately it's their magazine and they can do what they want with the layout but you'll never convince me that its right for a channel that broadcasts a full complement of news, current affairs, factual, kids, entertainment and other genres to up to 30M viewers a week to lose its regular column space alongside C4 to a digital spinoff channel airing extra streaming and repeats, even for just a week.

C5 has to fight incredibly hard as it is to get its programming highlights acknowledged in the press. Stuff like this really doesn't help the hard working team there.
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    Score wrote: »
    :D

It'll be bad enough if Voice and Rising Star are head to head early next year. I think a Voice/XF clash would cause a complete meltdown (on both sides). :p

Slight tangent but while on the subject of Talent show saturation, has anyone seen Channel 4's summer reality show being trailed called the singer takes it all, it involves real time voting to progress along a catwalk type thing instead of raising a wall but sound familiar? Rising Star is a real interesting one as its launching late so its USP will be nicked by channel 4 first, its obviously expensive to make, its against an established show in The Voice (even if its not super strong) and especially considering how badly its flopped in the states with the US Your Face Sounds Familiar pulling similar if not better numbers- If it survives I'll be shellshocked
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Seven
    18:00 Seven News: 1.21M
    18:30 Seven News / Today Tonight: 1.08M
    19:00 Home & Away: 0.96M
    19:30 The X Factor: 1.25M
    21:15 Winners & Losers: 0.95M

Nine
    18:00 Nine News: 1.25M
    19:00 A Current Affair: 0.99M
    19:30 Hamish & Andy's Gap Year South America: 1.01M
    20:40 Inside Story: 0.55M

Ten
    17:00 Ten Eyewitness News: 0.72M
    18:00 Family Feud: 0.72M including One and Eleven simulcasts
    18:30 The Project: 0.72M
    19:30 MasterChef Australia: 0.97M
    20:30 Under the Dome: 0.52M

Source: OzTAM / mediaspy.org

Wow. Family Feud increased on day two! Ten's 6PM gamble might just have paid off after months of ratings disasters.

Since their old early evening lineup of The Simpsons followed by Neighbours was done away with due to ever diminishing returns it's been a real struggle coming up with a viable alternative to the main news and current affairs shows on the big two, which is partly the reason why things got so bad for them generally ratings wise. They need to build on this now but it's a major step in the right direction.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't The X Factor used to rate higher in Australia or is my memory playing tricks on me again? And how does Neighbours do now in Australia?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Didn't The X Factor used to rate higher in Australia or is my memory playing tricks on me again? And how does Neighbours do now in Australia?
    The first 3 Auditions episodes of the new season of The X Factor have averaged 1.15M, well down on the 1.54M that watched the equivalent episodes last year. Channel Nine's The Voice is down by an even wider margin AFAIK but still in front.

Neighbours is still pulling in about 300,000 viewers on Eleven and regularly one of the top multichannel shows of the day if not number one. Yesterday it was usurped for that position by Midsomer Murders, though. Not just here that one's a standout multichannel performer, it's a bit of a beast over there too.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    The first 3 Auditions episodes of the new season of The X Factor have averaged 1.15M, well down on the 1.54M that watched the equivalent episodes last year. Channel Nine's The Voice is down by an even wider margin AFAIK but still in front.

Neighbours is still pulling in about 300,000 viewers on Eleven and regularly one of the top multichannel shows of the day if not number one. Yesterday it was usurped for that position by Midsomer Murders, though. Not just a standout multichannel performer here that one, it's a bit of a beast over there too.

Midsomer Murders really does the business for the multichannels, doesn't it? If not here then Down Under!

Thank you (and to others) for posting the figures. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    Midsomer Murders really does the business for the multichannels, doesn't it? If not here then Down Under!
    Yes ! It's interesting that we have that in common. I suppose Hollyoaks is regularly in our m/c top 3 as well in place of Neighbours so again another similarity.

There's an awful lot of kids shows on the aussie list though, whereas they only occasionally break into the top 10 over here. That could be because there's a lot more competition for the kids audience over here, I'm not sure.
  • Options
    burbeburbe Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "UK TV Ratings ‏@TVRatingsUK 2m
    #NickandMargaret: Too Many Immigrants? was most watched at 9pm last night with 3.45m/17.3% tuning in to @BBCOne."

Ok, but I expected it would be a little closer to 4m.
  • Options
    Philip WilsonPhilip Wilson Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought that would be higher, looks like a low rating night then.
  • Options
    burbeburbe Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Low ratings all round then at 9pm...

"UK TV Ratings ‏@TVRatingsUK 2m
    BBC2's new series of Coast began with 1.77m/8.9%, just below ITV's 56 Up (1.90m/9.5%) but just above C4's Undercover Boss (1.65m/8.3%)."
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Utopia?
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »

Thank you (and to others) for posting the figures. :)

Must be one of ITV's best sellers abroad. Regularly topping the ratings in Denmark, Australia on the multi-channels, rpt's well on ITV3. A reason why if its not as popular for advertising but sells well, they keep making new episodes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Surprised Coast didn't capitalise more on a quiet night for BBC One and itv. Equally C4 should be doing more than 1.65M on nights like last night IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F1Ken wrote: »
    I think so yes. I the old days Sport and repeats was BBC One in the summer. If it wasn't golf it was tennis or Cricket, lots of cricket, or tennis. Remember when the test match would be on BBC One and wimbledon on BBC Two, ALL BBC channels had sport on them.

There was loads, less of it live in prime time if not at all but yes you're right. Their is nowadays one major event on terrestrial TV at a time, when their is two or three now its made out to be a big deal. So people tend to make the most of things.

The fact that nowadays you can list all the sport on Terrestrial TV shows it's declined massively.

Also the CG is lots of different sports so caters for loads of different tastes.

There's also going to be a BBC journalists and technicians strike on July 23rd. So that's another thing to make The Commonwealth Games opening ceremony one to watch! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "@overnightstv: #GlasgowGirls got off to a solid start on BBC3 at 10pm with 622.2k/3.9%, + 154.4k/5.1% for rpt at 00.30am"
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's also going to be a BBC journalists and technicians strike on July 23rd. So that's another thing to make The Commonwealth Games opening ceremony one to watch! :D

As all the OBs are contracted out I suspect most of the crews are not BBC employees and therefore the impact should be minimal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    "@overnightstv: #GlasgowGirls got off to a solid start on BBC3 at 10pm with 622.2k/3.9%, + 154.4k/5.1% for rpt at 00.30am"
    That's more than just "solid." Great start that. Probably beat Utopia.
This discussion has been closed.