Options

London must be spotless

Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Watching a programme on TV at the moment that is showing various parts of residential London, and I've yet to see any litter. Ilford, an area I know well and one that allegedly has become dirty has just been on and was spotless.

Is this the normal case, because every programme that shows London's suburbs, shows them as very clean?

Comments

• Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Mark1974 wrote: »
    Watching a programme on TV at the moment that is showing various parts of residential London, and I've yet to see any litter. Ilford, an area I know well and one that allegedly has become dirty has just been on and was spotless.

Is this the normal case, because every programme that shows London's suburbs, shows them as very clean?

Most london councils take clean streets very seriously - it's a big vote winner. Difficult job though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest - the streets ain't that bad and the graffiti is art...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So are all your streets clean?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So are all your streets clean?

living in East London, yes, nice area on the river but all council estates - was lovely. Living in West London we had trouble with people on the street who left crap out - (murder in the local park but streets were clean) so in general was clean compared to my mates who lived in cities up North was much cleaner.

I think it does depend on the area. I went to places like Peckham, Brixton, Clapham - thinking 'shithole' and was always surprised at how lively it was, but clean.

I live in Surrey and saw masses of bin bags outside a Costa last week. So whats better?
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Compared to many towns and cities in the UK, London is indeed a clean city and has improved a lot over recent years. Whether this is because more is spent on street cleaning or the natives are cleaner is open to debate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Northern cities are dirty, but I tend to find peoples attitudes towards litter are bad up here.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Northern cities are dirty, but I tend to find peoples attitudes towards litter are bad up here.

I suggest you look at some really Tory-loving areas of the south-east.

There are quite a lot of dirty places in places like Essex, Kent and Hertfordshire to name a few. Take a walk round towns like Chatham, Basildon, Stevenage and Hatfield. As dirty & full of dog dirt & litter as you can get >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Whether this is because more is spent on street cleaning or the natives are cleaner is open to debate.

I think comparing say Richmond with Hounslow and Kingston with Peckham would be interesting :)

Central London is very clean. The Underground staff do an impeccable job at keeping stations clean. A lot of the suburbs are clean too. I'd say it's the less-affluent parts people just don't see as visitors that would let London down
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    I think comparing say Richmond with Hounslow and Kingston with Peckham would be interesting :)

Central London is very clean. The Underground staff do an impeccable job at keeping stations clean. A lot of the suburbs are clean too. I'd say it's the less-affluent parts people just don't see as visitors that would let London down

A poster earlier said council estates in East London, as well as Brixton and Peckham were clean.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A poster earlier said council estates in East London, as well as Brixton and Peckham were clean.

I can't say I really feel the need to walk round East London estates. Romford is the nearest I've been to the east of London, and their Market Square could do with a bit of doing up. Not the nicest looking area.

I really think you need to realise Yorkshire is as good as anywhere else. I've seen as much good in West Yorkshire as I have in the dying county of Hertfordshire. Just remember Yorkshire folk are friendlier on average :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't say I really feel the need to walk round East London estates. Romford is the nearest I've been to the east of London, and their Market Square could do with a bit of doing up. Not the nicest looking area.

I really think you need to realise Yorkshire is as good as anywhere else. I've seen as much good in West Yorkshire as I have in the dying county of Hertfordshire. Just remember Yorkshire folk are friendlier on average :)

It's just litter that let's us down.

I'm guessing you're from up here originally.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's just litter that let's us down.

I'm guessing you're from up here originally.

I spent many a year working and studying in Nottingham & know Yorkshire quite well :)

I can assure you the North (and the Midlands for that matter) as a whole is no dirtier than the South!!

Harrogate can hold its own against Windsor any day :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I spent many a year working and studying in Nottingham & know Yorkshire quite well :)

I can assure you the North (and the Midlands for that matter) as a whole is no dirtier than the South!!

Harrogate can hold its own against Windsor any day :)

Well according to previous posts, London's certainly clean.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,643
    Forum Member
    It can vary from borough to borough as different councils will have different street cleaning budgets and policies.

My own local council, the London Borough of Waltham Forest do a valiant job of trying to keep the streets clean but we do seem to have a lot of residents who have no idea how to dispose of things correctly so leave items all over the street for other people to then deal with.

The streets are on the whole clean but get messed up very quickly.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's pretty good, on the whole. As for being anti-litter, you'll still find the occasional abandoned coffee cup on a train, but it really isn't bad. There are plenty of bins and ciggie bins. In the centre, tourists tend to be the worst at just dropping litter in the road in my experience. (Not all of them, obv.)
  • Options
    makavelli132makavelli132 Posts: 1,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is it with you and litter cleaning threads OP?

Do you have a litter fetish?
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    The unemployed lick the streets clean with their tongues, otherwise they lose their benefits.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    London isn't spotless, but the the idea that it's some rubbish-infested dump is a total myth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is it with you and litter cleaning threads OP?

Do you have a litter fetish?

Litter is something I hate, and my area is bad for it.

Whenever I see other areas on TV, especially London, they just look so much cleaner.

Oh, and by the way, I'll make no apologies for my hate of litter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given what goes on in the rougher parts of London, but they stay clean, is it a case amongst those involved that...

It's OK to stab or shoot someone
    Be involved in street robberies
    But they draw the line at dropping a Coke can on the street?
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given what goes on in the rougher parts of London, but they stay clean, is it a case amongst those involved that...

Yes. Just the other day a policeman stood and watched as i stabbed somebody in the neck but arrested me for dropping a crisp packet as I walked away
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member

No, of course not.....
  • Options
    Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    Yes. Just the other day a policeman stood and watched as i stabbed somebody in the neck but arrested me for dropping a crisp packet as I walked away

Well serves you right for not taking your litter home with you!!! I hope he threw the book at you?! Litter lout!😜
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Safi74 wrote: »
    Well serves you right for not taking your litter home with you!!! I hope he threw the book at you?! Litter lout!��

Haha.

My point is there are areas of London that look as rough as sandpaper, but yet the streets are spotless.

I can't imagine every street in London is cleaned continuously 24/7. Nor can I imagine that NOBODY in London drops litter.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    The unemployed lick the streets clean with their tongues, otherwise they lose their benefits.

You have to polish that gold somehow