Lyme Disease: The Latest Scare Story.

13»

Comments

• Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    Blood tests can be used to detect antibodies related to the initial Lyme infection, even if the bacteria are now dormant. Not foolproof as for various complicated reasons, tests can give false negatives in some cases (indicate no infection, when in fact there has been).

Yes that is what I meant.

Am I right in saying that it can't provide a false positive?

If the test says you have it, you do. But if it says you do not have it, it could be a false negative? (albeit a small percentage?)
  • Options
    puffenstuffpuffenstuff Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes that is what I meant.

Am I right in saying that it can't provide a false positive?

If the test says you have it, you do. But if it says you do not have it, it could be a false negative? (albeit a small percentage?)

I think it could be up to 30% that gives a false negative (and a tiny proportion of false positives, but 6/7 years since I last looked at this stuff). My own test was only just positive. It depends on lots of things such as the strain of Lyme they will test for (and whether they're talking about IgM or IgG antibodies).

If you had a choice, you'd go for a more well-understood and accepted disease!
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well I had my Lyme Disease test and it came back negative, so that is good news.