Options

Sony buys CSC channels

Comments

• Options
    IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,091
    Forum Member
    They now have extra slots to launch Sony Movies HD and Sony TV HD too so this will be very interesting.

Yes but you don't spend £107m to launch HD channels.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epsom wrote: »
    Deal has only just happened. Patience is needed as I suspect it will be some weeks before Sony's intentions become clear!

Plus, it all has to go through clearance first which is a slow process (Viacom are still waiting to get the go ahead for Channel 5).

It will be months before there's any real change to these channels.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Icaraa wrote: »
    Yes but you don't spend £107m to launch HD channels.

The value of the EPG slots is probably about £50-£70 million though.
  • Options
    hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The value of the EPG slots is probably about £50-£70 million though.

I'm guessing your impatience is due to your long term hatred of CSC and you want Sony to close all the channels down or rebrand them with boring names like;

True Entertainment - Sony TV 2
    True Movies - Sony Movies 2
    POP - Sony Children
    Tiny Pop - Sony Children 2
    Chart Show TV - Sony Music TV

I'm just saving you from starting about 20 threads in a few weeks time.:D
  • Options
    east_boy_16east_boy_16 Posts: 3,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hmeister wrote: »
    I'm guessing your impatience is due to your long term hatred of CSC and you want Sony to close all the channels down or rebrand them with boring names like;

POP - Sony Children

linkinpark would like Sony to reinstate NME TV or The Amp.... :D
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plus, it all has to go through clearance first which is a slow process (Viacom are still waiting to get the go ahead for Channel 5).

It will be months before there's any real change to these channels.

I think it will be shorter than the Viacom/Channel 5 deal just because of how much competition there is in digital tv, unlike PSBs where there is only 4
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    linkinpark would like Sony to reinstate NME TV or The Amp.... :D

Oh don't get him started:D

I can see a thread about Sony NME or Sony Q on the horizon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

POP - Sony Children

Yes they should shut them down. There's far too many music channels anyway.
  • Options
    JVDJVD Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes they should shut them down. There's far too many music channels anyway.

I posted here what they could do with them.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=73394367&postcount=2183
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JVD wrote: »

Sorry but I'm not really a fan of that:blush:
    Moving channels to pay tv would be stupid.

If they want to keep the music channels then I hope they just give them a little refresh e.g. actual dance on Chart Show Dance and The Vault less repetitive. Then maybe they could rebrand Bliss as a Sony Music Channel with a mixture of music old and new.

True Entertainment & True Drama could become more entertainment based with less true films and more drama, comedy and reality or receive a complete rebrand but stay completely free as AXN would never be free to air.

The kids channels should stay the same but maybe add some more shows. Anime Central which launched a few years ago proved that Anime channels don't work in the UK as it didn't last long so I'm not sure that Animax would launch.

I would love to see FEARnet in the UK though (as long as it's Free to air)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry but I'm not really a fan of that:blush:
    Moving channels to pay tv would be stupid.

If they want to keep the music channels then I hope they just give them a little refresh e.g. actual dance on Chart Show Dance and The Vault less repetitive. Then maybe they could rebrand Bliss as a Sony Music Channel with a mixture of music old and new.

True Entertainment & True Drama could become more entertainment based with less true films and more drama, comedy and reality or receive a complete rebrand but stay completely free as AXN would never be free to air.

The kids channels should stay the same but maybe add some more shows. Anime Central which launched a few years ago proved that Anime channels don't work in the UK as it didn't last long so I'm not sure that Animax would launch.

I would love to see FEARnet in the UK though (as long as it's Free to air)

AXN and Animax i can see being FTV like SonyTV and Sony Movie Channel which require a sky card to decrypt.
  • Options
    beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member

And Anime Central was a CSC channel anyway, so there'd probably be internal resistance to an Animax channel.

(We could argue, though, that any given Animax channel would be a different business prospect to Anime Central for a number of reasons, although I can't imagine it'd be different enough. If there's an AXN, it might work if it was to that channel what Adult Swim is to Cartoon Network in the US)
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 24,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    beemoh wrote: »
    And Anime Central was a CSC channel anyway, so there'd probably be internal resistance to an Animax channel.

(We could argue, though, that any given Animax channel would be a different business prospect to Anime Central for a number of reasons, although I can't imagine it'd be different enough. If there's an AXN, it might work if it was to that channel what Adult Swim is to Cartoon Network in the US)

Animax have a late slot on Monday nights on the Sony Movies channel,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Animax have a late slot on Monday nights on the Sony Movies channel,

Is it branded as Animax? or just a couple of anime films thrown in on a Monday night?

Film4 often show anime.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 24,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it branded as Animax? or just a couple of anime films thrown in on a Monday night?

Film4 often show anime.

It is. They've also shown Bleach and Black Lagoon in the slot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    It is. They've also shown Bleach and Black Lagoon in the slot.

Well people have tried a anime channels in the UK and they haven't really worked.

Maybe Sony could rebrand True Ent and True Drama as new channels showing a mix of comedy, drama, reality and a weekly slot for anime. Hopefully they'll keep True Movies 1 & 2 as they are.
  • Options
    SonOfPurpleSonOfPurple Posts: 2,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right, so I'm dredging this up from a few days back as I've taken a little time to have a think on what a combined Sony and CSC lineup could look like. So here's my tuppence, feel free to weigh in should you need.

With regard to the film and entertainment channels, which will presumably have been the big attraction in this case, I note that the combined Sony and CSC portfolio comprises three channel slots on Freeview main commercial muxes (True Ent, Movie Mix and movies4men), and three on Virgin (SET, True Ent and True Movies 1). A fuller battallion of services (True Drama, Sony Movies...) are on Sky and/or Freesat. So I'd propose building a new Sony network of channels which offer three core channels on Freeview/Virgin, and utilise the other Sky/Freesat slots to build a fuller network.

On Freeview/Virgin I'd use the slots to build up a three-part network comprised of:
    1 ) a general entertainment/drama channel building on the current SET and TE programming
    2 ) a mixed movie channel featuring a selection of films from the Sony and True... libraries
    3 ) a male-skewing films, drama, entertainment and factual channel building on the current movies4men

I'd suggest providing this by way of a revamped Sony Entertainment TV, taking the existing channel's slot on Sky/Virgin and True Entertainment's place on Freeview;
    a Sony Movie Mix built on the existing Movie Mix slot on Freeview, replacing True Movies 1 on Virgin and more>movies on Sky/Freesat;
    and launching 'Sony & Men' as a male-focused channel built on the current movies4men on Freeview and satellite (and taking the True Ent slot on Virgin, where TE shows would move onto SET). There could be scope for including some AXN/Animax shows on Sony & Men in the longer term.

On Sky and Freesat, there's scope for further development. The existing SET would, as noted on Freeview and Virgin, expand to include some shows currently licenced to True Entertainment. SET would also be made available to Freesat as part of the new expanded portfolio.
    The current True Entertainment slot would become a new channel (let's call it 'Sony TV Select') showing drama, entertainment and films aimed at a predominantly female audience (as a counterweight to Sony & Men). TE +1 would become Sony TV Select +1 (and expand to full time if capacity is sought).
    True Drama would be relaunched as Sony Drama with a continued focus on screening dramas, features and films; it would be made available on Freesat, where it is not currently carried.
    The existing ?TV placeholder channel on 267, as apparently held by CSC and currently pumping out shows in PopGirl's downtime, would move to the Entertainment grid (once a slot becomes free) and become Sony Drama +1.
    more>movies and +1 would move from Entertainment to the Movies grid on Sky and Freesat (taking spaces currently occupied by movies4men) and become Sony Movie Mix, simulcasting the channel as proposed above for Freeview/Virgin's movie channel slot, screening films from across the portfolio.
    movies4men and +1 would move to the Entertainment slots freed up by more>movies and become Sony & Men (as proposed above for Freeview/Virgin) and its +1
    True Movies 1 would become Sony True Movies and continue to screen films of similar ilk to currently, with a focus on dramas, relationships, crime, real-life stories and so forth
    True Movies 2 would become Sony True Movies +1 (Sony seems to like its channels having +1s, CSC less so)
    Sony Movie Channel would continue much as now, though like SET would drop its CA and go onto Freesat.

The new lineup, all put together and utilising current EPG/LCN numbers, would be as follows: (F'sat TBC indicates a channel which would be available on Freesat but which doesn't yet have a corresponding EPG no.)

Sky 157, F'sat 142, Fview 32, VM 189 - Sony Entertainment TV [adds some TE shows to existing content]
    Sky 181, F'sat TBC - Sony TV Select [replaces True Entertainment]
    Sky 183, F'sat TBC - Sony Drama [replaces True Drama]
    Sky 184, F'sat 143, Fview 61, VM 193 - Sony & Men [replaces movies4men]
    Sky 185, F'sat TBC - Sony Entertainment TV +1
    Sky 186, F'sat TBC - Sony TV Select +1 [replaces True E +1]
    Sky 296, F'sat TBC - Sony & Men +1
    Sky TBC (currently 267), F'sat TBC - Sony Drama +1 [replaces ?TV placeholder]
    Sky 321, F'sat 302 - Sony Movie Channel
    Sky 322, F'sat 305 - Sony Movie Channel +1
    Sky 323, F'sat 303, Fview 48, VM 428 - Sony Movie Mix [replaces more>movies]
    Sky 324, F'sat TBC - Sony Movie Mix +1
    Sky 325, F'sat 304 - Sony True Movies
    Sky 326, F'sat TBC- Sony True Movies +1 [replaces True Movies 2]

If capacity was made available on Virgin to do so, the addition of further channels above the initial three could be considered.

On Freeview in Manchester (on G-MAN), the slots currently occupied by movies4men +1 and/or POP +1 could be used to add other channels from the portfolio.

In regard to the kids channels, I agree to a degree with a previous post which suggested the POP channels become Sony Kids - the main channel would remain on Freeview (Comux), Sky and Freesat, and replace Tiny Pop on Virgin (younger kids' shows now air during weekday daytime on POP); on Sky and Freesat, Tiny Pop, PopGirl and Kix would continue - one for young kids, one for girls (the only girls' channel, in fact) and one action-led, though with the benefit of access to Sony's library alongside existing shows, and potentially renaming to tie them under the Sony umbrella (Sony Kids Girl and so forth?).

Those suggesting Sony would dump the CSC music channels may be wide of the mark - Sony is a firm with a huge pedigree in music, though if it kept the channels on it's likely that, like AATW's channels, it wouldn't only play songs from the parent label. The main channel would, one presumes, take the name Sony Music TV as has been suggested before, with the others becoming Sony Music Dance, Sony Music Flava, Sony Music Starz, Sony Music Scuzz, Sony Music Vault and Sony Music Bliss. Fairly easy to just bring them under a simplified corporate branding and umbrella, as has happened already with CSTV and CS Dance...
    If on the other hand Sony did decide not to keep the entire music portfolio, rather than shut channels down I'd suggest selling them on - Global could take two and launch Smooth TV and Xfm TV, perhaps? Or maybe AATW would look to expand their portfolio to better compete with Bauer and MTV channels? Certainly there are a lot of options out there as far as music channels are concerned, they can't be written off just yet...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those suggesting Sony would dump the CSC music channels may be wide of the mark - Sony is a firm with a huge pedigree in music, though if it kept the channels on it's likely that, like AATW's channels, it wouldn't only play songs from the parent label. The main channel would, one presumes, take the name Sony Music TV as has been suggested before, with the others becoming Sony Music Dance, Sony Music Flava, Sony Music Starz, Sony Music Scuzz, Sony Music Vault and Sony Music Bliss. Fairly easy to just bring them under a simplified corporate branding and umbrella, as has happened already with CSTV and CS Dance...
    If on the other hand Sony did decide not to keep the entire music portfolio, rather than shut channels down I'd suggest selling them on - Global could take two and launch Smooth TV and Xfm TV, perhaps? Or maybe AATW would look to expand their portfolio to better compete with Bauer and MTV channels? Certainly there are a lot of options out there as far as music channels are concerned, they can't be written off just yet...

There's already rumours on the music thread on here Flava, Starz, Chart Show Dance will be first to be axed.

Music tv just isn't pulling in viewers anymore. Why? 28 out of 30 odd channels play chart music. If all CSC channels vanished it may mean Bauer up there game a bit.

I think Sony will keep a coupe of music channels it's good cross promotion the majority will be axed I would imagine though. True Entertainment/Movies will be pulled too I think as they could easily merge them into a new Sony channel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do agree with you on that True Entertainment will get the axed though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree with a majority of ideas above in SonOfPurple's post. I don't think they should all be branded as Sony Channels.

Maybe they could do it like this.

Sony TV - As it is now but with a few more shows.
    True Ent > Sony Extra - A mixture of comedy and drama.
    True Drama > Sony Life - A mixture of lifestyle, documentaries and reality.
    True Movies 1 - Keep it the same
    True Movies 2 - Keep it the same
    Sony Movie Channel - Keep it the same and put in on Freeview in place of MovieMix
    Movies4Men > Sony Suspense - A mixture of action and thriller
    More>Movies > FearNet - Horror movies and B movies
    ?TV > Spark - Channel aimed at younger people showing classic teen shows, reality, comedy and more.

Chart Show TV - Keep it the same.
    Bliss > Sony Music Mix - Similar to the old bliss with a mixture of indie and classic hits.
    Chart Show Dance > Juice - A mixture of classic dance, floorfillers and party hits.
    Starz - Interactive music channel playing music from the last 5 years. Currently a chart channel. Keep it as the same format but reduce prices.
    Flava - Keep the same but add some older and rarer stuff.
    Scuzz - Keep the same
    The Vault > Totally Pop - A classic pop and cheese channel focusing on music from 1990+

Pop - Keep the same but add more shows.
    Kix - Keep the same
    PopGirl - Keep the same
    TinyPop - Keep the same
  • Options
    Darren_HaywardDarren_Hayward Posts: 730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do they still have the rights to show the Hasbro cartoons (likely to be inherited) eg the Sunbow produced Transformers G1,GI Joe (Sunbow) maybe the DIC version of GI Joe (which may come under Hasbro), The Visionairies, The Inhumanoids, Jem, Glo Friends, and My Little Pony if so these could fill the childrens channels Kix (Transformers G1, GI Joe, The Visionairies and The Inhumanoids) POPGirl (Jem) TinyPOP (My Little Pony and Glo Friends) or Animax for showing in evening slots for adults who remember watching these shows as children
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would axe True Ent , True Drama and put all the Drama and Entertainment shows onto Sony TV true story movies to Sony True Life.

Sony TV
    Sony TV+1
    More>Movies > AXN
    More>Movies+1 > AXN+1
    Sony Movies
    Sony Movies+1
    True Movies > Sony True Life
    True Movies 2 > Sony True Life +1
    Movies4Men > Sony Cinemax
    Movies4Men+1 > Sony Cinemax+1

Chart Show TV > SMC (Sony Music Channel)
    The Vault > SMC Hits
    Bliss > SMC Gold
    Scuzz > SMC Rock

Other music channels closed...

Pop > Sony Kids
    PopGirl > Sony Kids +1
    Tiny Pop > Sony Tots / Animax - Timeshare 8pm-5am
    Tiny Pop > Sony Tots +1 / Animax +1 - Timeshare 9pm - 6am.

Animax would be in the Entertainment Section.

Kix programming merged with Sony Kids
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are people so obsessed with closing so many channels down and renaming all remaining channels as Sony Bland?

For the music channels SMC wouldn't work because there's already Sony Movie Channel. Plus renaming Scuzz as SMC Rock just makes sound as unappealing as MTV Rocks which only plays crap rock or indie.

True Movies shouldn't be rebranded as Sony True Movies or closed down because it's a popular channel.

Sony Kids/Sony Tots wouldn't appeal to kids and Kix and PopGirl seem to be quite popular channels so there's no point in closing them down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are people so obsessed with closing so many channels down and renaming all remaining channels as Sony Bland?

For the music channels SMC wouldn't work because there's already Sony Movie Channel. Plus renaming Scuzz as SMC Rock just makes sound as unappealing as MTV Rocks which only plays crap rock or indie.

True Movies shouldn't be rebranded as Sony True Movies or closed down because it's a popular channel.

Sony Kids/Sony Tots wouldn't appeal to kids and Kix and PopGirl seem to be quite popular channels so there's no point in closing them down.

Sky closed down some of Livings channels and there own when they bought the group they axed Bravo, Channel One, Sky Real Lives ect. There should be a shift of focus on quality over quantity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky closed down some of Livings channels and there own when they bought the group they axed Bravo, Channel One, Sky Real Lives ect. There should be a shift of focus on quality over quantity.

Sony aren't Sky though are they. And they can still have loads of channels and be able to broadcast good quality shows.