Options

More Ramadan stupidity

Comments

• Options
    DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    More importantly it sounds like a cushy life working for Tesco. Let their employees take not.

"We don’t have a specific policy and take a pragmatic approach if a colleague raises concerns about a job they have been asked to do"

So, it you're paid to do a job, and don't fancy doing it, that's OK by Tesco.

It's no surprise why it's the worst supermarket of them all and their sales figures are down:

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/jun/04/tesco-suffers-worst-sales-in-decades
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh give it a rest, let them get on with what they want to do,
    If a Supermarket checkout refused to serve me or anyone else then they are not fit for purpose and the store should employ someone who is
  • Options
    AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tesco is a very silly place to work if you can't bear being around alcohol and meat.
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,818
    Forum Member
    Ber wrote: »
    The point being do we know that the checkout guy wan't under 18?

Do we know the time of day the purchase was attempted?

Do we know he was actually a checkout operator instead of just a shelf-stacker or something?

Wouldn't have stopped him serving the ham. Or, as is usual practice, calling for a colleague to take over.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    More importantly it sounds like a cushy life working for Tesco. Let their employees take note.

"We don’t have a specific policy and take a pragmatic approach if a colleague raises concerns about a job they have been asked to do"

So, it you're paid to do a job, and don't fancy doing it, that's OK by Tesco

That's not what "pragmatic" means.
  • Options
    Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    ecckles wrote: »
    If a Supermarket checkout refused to serve me or anyone else then they are not fit for purpose and the store should employ someone who is

Unless they are any other colour than white cos' thats racist.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Where has this half his customers figure come from. :confused:
    It came from me.

You are a checkout operator. An average of perhaps one customer every five minutes goes through your till. At busy times there may be up to 10 people queueing if it is a baskets queue, 5 if it is a trolleys queue.

So you hold everyone up while you go through each basket and trolley to make sure there is no alcohol or pork products in. Only an awful lot of them have. (Half was a guess, but I think it was a reasonable one; probably more than half buy alcohol later in the day, fewer in the mornings.) Or it could be prawns perhaps, or some other non-halal food. So you hold the queue up while you check for non-halal items; you would have to check before doing anything else or they would have started unloading their stuff, and you are stuffed. Quickly spotting that a lot of baskets or trolleys have non-halal food or drink, you tell all those people to re-queue at the check out tills. They all trot off like lambs; no one complains; no colleague asks what on earth you think you are doing. Until ONE DAY a customer makes a fuss and complains.

Or...not. He has in fact been uneventfully processing customer after customer and taking no notice of what is in their basket or trolley.

academia wrote: »
    Tesco are in thrall to a troublemaker and would rather piss off customers than challenge an idiot bent on stirring up trouble.
    The assistant should be sacked. For the future it should be in contracts that they will not impose their religious beliefs on customers. A shop is there to serve people not support. Thr whim of a fanatic.
    Either you know a lot more than is in the newspapers or you are doing an awful lot of projection here.
    AnnieBaker wrote: »
    Tesco is a very silly place to work if you can't bear being around alcohol and meat.

Which he obviously can. He has got through his training and induction, including dealing with umpteen bottles of alcohol and packets of ham and bacon.
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It came from me.

You are a checkout operator. An average of perhaps one customer every five minutes goes through your till. At busy times there may be up to 10 people queueing if it is a baskets queue, 5 if it is a trolleys queue.

So you hold everyone up while you go through each basket and trolley to make sure there is no alcohol or pork products in. Only an awful lot of them have. (Half was a guess, but I think it was a reasonable one; probably more than half buy alcohol later in the day, fewer in the mornings.) Or it could be prawns perhaps, or some other non-halal food. So you hold the queue up while you check for non-halal items; you would have to check before doing anything else or they would have started unloading their stuff, and you are stuffed. Quickly spotting that a lot of baskets or trolleys have non-halal food or drink, you tell all those people to re-queue at the check out tills. They all trot off like lambs; no one complains; no colleague asks what on earth you think you are doing. Until ONE DAY a customer makes a fuss and complains.

Or...not. He has in fact been uneventfully processing customer after customer and taking no notice of what is in their basket or trolley.

Either you know a lot more than is in the newspapers or you are doing an awful lot of projection here.

Which he obviously can. He has got through his training and induction, including dealing with umpteen bottles of alcohol and packets of ham and bacon.

I love that you say this in this post with no hint of irony. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D_Mcd4 wrote: »
    I love that you say this in this post with no hint of irony. :o

I'm not being awkward. I am trying to see what could actually have happened. The scenario I suggested sounds incredibly improbable to me. People don't like checkout staff refusing to serve them, and colleagues would not like seeing one of their team refusing to serve people. So I am finding it genuinely hard to believe that this shop had a checkout operator who refused to serve a high percentage of his customers, and nothing happened until one customer mysteriously protested.

The only half-probable scenario to me was the one I suggested earlier, whereby he refused to touch the ham and alcohol and she refused to do it for him.

But please feel free to say what you think is the most likely scenario that fits.
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,818
    Forum Member
    That's not what "pragmatic" means.

Context is everything. I know exactly what pragmatic means, thank you

"We don’t have a specific policy and take a pragmatic* approach if a colleague raises concerns about a job they have been asked to do"

In this instance - they don't have a specific policy and the sensible* thing was to do nothing and apologise to the c/m yet suport the member of staff..

*pragmatic - adjective - dealing with things sensibly and realistically

I can only repaet. If you don't want to do something, that's OK, Tesco will support you.
  • Options
    FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is why religion needs to be banned.
  • Options
    rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FIFA1966 wrote: »

I think you succinctly summed up what the OP wanted to actually say.

I am of no opinion either way but just wanted to make sure that I pointed that out.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Ber wrote: »
    And we all know how keen newspapers are to report the facts!

They would never dream of twisting, omitting or outright lying to drum up a bit of outrage!

In the absence of any information to the contrary, it'd be rather foolish to ignore the information we do have in favour of baseless speculation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Not a very good DM sadface. Are they losing their touch?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FIFA1966 wrote: »

Just how brutal and repressive a dictatorship would you like to live in? Are you aiming for Tibet style repression or the full North Korea?
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Ah yes, but therein lies the issue.

Him refusing to serve the lady (not knowing her religion) because of his religion is very different to you refusing to serve a Muslim because you know he's a Muslim.

I know you think they are the same, but they really cannot be, legally.

He didn't know her religion. She might be an atheist. Either way, he refused to serve because of his beliefs, not hers.

I'm not saying it's 'right' in an equal world, but it's not illegal in the same way as it would be for you to refuse to serve somebody because they are a Muslim.

I really don't think there's as much of a distinction as you are making out. If I refused to serve someone halal because I'm Jewish (I'm not, btw), it's still discrimination. The customer is receiving unfavourable treatment because of their difference in religion, since in this example I'd serve a Jew wanting to buy kosher.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,614
    Forum Member
    Rich_L wrote: »
    Unless they are any other colour than white cos' thats racist.

There is no need to bring racism into this discussion. It's entirely irrelevant.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Context is everything. I know exactly what pragmatic means, thank you

"We don’t have a specific policy and take a pragmatic* approach if a colleague raises concerns about a job they have been asked to do"

In this instance - they don't have a specific policy and the sensible* thing was to do nothing and apologise to the c/m yet suport the member of staff..

*pragmatic - adjective - dealing with things sensibly and realistically

I can only repaet. If you don't want to do something, that's OK, Tesco will support you.

How do you know they've "done nothing"? :confused:

What did they speak to the employee about? Did they give him a verbal warning? Have they alerted him to disciplinary action being taken? Had the temporary manager given his approval prior to it happening? What action have Tesco taken against the manager?

You're making a sweeping generalisation that if someone "doesn't fancy doing their job, that's okay by Tesco", and you're doing it on the basis of one newspaper report about one incident which pretty much gives one side of the story.

So, if someone paid to stack shelves decides one day that he doesn't fancy doing it, are you suggesting that Tesco would be okay with that, or are you just exaggerating ?
  • Options
    jacquelineannejacquelineanne Posts: 1,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well considering the manager supported the employee in refusing to serve her, Tesco should have sacked both of them.
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    In the absence of any information to the contrary, it'd be rather foolish to ignore the information we do have in favour of baseless speculation.

The Daily Mail is baseless speculation with no other purpose in this incident than confirmation bias.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    getzls wrote: »
    You doubt wrong, I am a Christian. ;-)

Though that has nothing to do with it.
    No the guy should probably not be sacked.
    He is lucky he works for Tesco. If it was a small independent shop he likely would be.

Here's another thought, say every one in a shop were Muslim and did that.

Heres another thought, say all the staff were Muslim and all refused what use would the shop be.

You misunderstood. I meant religions convictions about not selling Halal meat to Muslims.

If you really do hold sincere religious beliefs that Muslims shouldn't buy halal meat then fair enough, I'm sure that would stand up in a court of law.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    There is no need to bring racism into this discussion. It's entirely irrelevant.

Meh, I beg to differ.

There are certainly ulterior, divisive motives here. It smacks of Islamaphobia on the Daily Mails part - which to me is no different to being prejudiced toward somebody because of something like the colour of their skin.
  • Options
    getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    You misunderstood. I meant religions convictions about not selling Halal meat to Muslims.

If you really do hold sincere religious beliefs that Muslims shouldn't buy halal meat .
    No where have i ever said that,.
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    There must be more to this story, surely?

Yup. Not believing this for a second. On the very, very, VERY rare occasion (once in my life) the cashier at a till in Morrisons didn't want to serve alcohol to me for religious reasons, she got her colleague and the issue was sorted within seconds. I do not believe for a second this girl just refused to sell her certain products and didn't try to rectify the situation.......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    getzls wrote: »
    No where have i ever said that,.

You haven't. It was a bit of an assumption on the basis that no part of Christianity, or any other religion that I know about takes issue with Muslims eating Halal (or Jews eating Kosher for that matter).

Again, if you have these odd individual religious beliefs then fair enough I suppose but they aren't shared by your church.