Options

Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 shot down near Ukraine-Russia border

Comments

• Options
    SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are the satellites able to track smallish missile launches, and don't they actually have to be over the area and actively monitoring it at the same time?.

I know they can track the launch of very large missile systems, such as intercontinental missiles, but I don't think they can track smaller launches unless they are actively monitoring a given area.

I'm hoping that with the whole Russia and Ukraine thing going on, that they will have some satellites over there to monitor what goes on.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CNN just showed a picture where you could clearly see bodies in the wreckage, I really. don't want to see images like that and I'm concerned that children may see them.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Breaking News ‏@BBCBreaking 9m
    Ukraine's President Petro Poroshenko believes "terrorist act" caused crash of flight #MH17 http://bbc.in/1t9Psf4
    6:41 PM - 17 Jul 2014
  • Options
    DixDix Posts: 79,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    280 passengers and 15 crew apparently, according to Ukrainian interior ministry.
    295 was the number quoted, then changed to 280, and a few other numbers. It's still a lot of people gone. :( Horrible!I'd like to know who they were, which I know will take time...

Thanks for saying, still can't believe it happened. This event is as big as the ocean one which hasn't been resolved, and was about to, then this....awful:(
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Thankfully the US has satellites that will be able to see if a missile downed the plane and where it was fired from, even if they try and hide the on ground evidence.

Seems as though they're able to track surface-to-surface ballistic missiles, but not surface-to-air.

They're talking about trying to find out if the AWACS planes recorded anything.
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    You would assume if this was an act by Russian separatists, the West would have to take some major action now.

It is quite shameful that the situation started to slip to the background as is sadly usual. The foreign office and USA had stopped talking about the situation because ISIS came along.
  • Options
    basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Why are about 10 passports all in one pile in a pic shown on news websites.
    Surely they would not all land in the same spot like that considering most would be in bags anyway. Unless someone has collected them and photographed them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping that with the whole Russia and Ukraine thing going on, that they will have some satellites over there to monitor what goes on.
    I wondered if Inmarsat had monitored the plane, but from what the tv said, it wasn't picked up by satellite, but maybe the military might have done.
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    basdfg wrote: »
    Why are about 10 passports all in one pile in a pic shown on news websites.
    Surley they would not all land in the same spot like that considering most would be in bags anyway. Unless someone has collected them and photographed them.

There's a video on life news of someone holding a few passports, so your final guess is probably correct.
  • Options
    heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    Watch Russia Today TV Channel for a totally biased view of the incident :o
  • Options
    dulliredullire Posts: 20,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sickening.

Thoughts with the deceased's relatives and friends.
  • Options
    MutterMutter Posts: 3,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackyork wrote: »
    To be honest I wouldn't set foot on a Malaysian Airliner because of MH370.
    If you want to see the World Jack, outside of Majorca, you have to take the risk.
    A very small risk, in fact you have more chance of an accident on your way to the airport than the plane crashing. Cliché but true. (That's why a cliché)
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it would be ignoring a lot of coincidences considering the location of the crash to say the plane just happened to have a catastrophic mechanical fault while it just happened to be flying over a contested area of Ukraine in which previous planes have been downed.

Well in this instance I can see where the idea has come from, but I don't like to prematurely jump to any conclusion without being in possession of all the facts.
    I'll wait and see how the investigation pans out.

And premature hysteria should be avoided at all costs, IMO
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heartache wrote: »
    Daily Mail wrote:
    Planes in area of crash site pictured flying away from Ukraine
    Even if it was an accident wouldn't you change your current flight plans "just in case".

BTW the warning was nothing to do with the threat of shooting down but that ATC was becoming a bit fragmented so aircraft in the same area could be been dealt with by different groups increasing the risk of collision

What they should be showing is YESTERDAY'S flights and the route they took
  • Options
    muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    from the BBC
    A tweet (in Russian) from a key Twitter account used by pro-Russian separatists, in which they claim to have captured a Buk surface-to-air missile system, has now been deleted, BBC Monitoring observes. Ukrainians say the Malaysian plane could have been downed with a Buk, but pro-Russian rebels have now denied they have it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anderson has just said it was 280 passengers and 15 crew, so that tallies with what's been stated.

This event will touch the whole world of airlines. I also heard a little while ago that airlines will make sure that planes won't go over same area, and hope that happens.

The black boxes should tell more
  • Options
    housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    Ukraine's TSN channel has reported that 23 US citizens were onboard the plane.

http://rt.com/news/173628-malaysian-plane-crash-ukraine/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dix wrote: »
    I wondered if Inmarsat had monitored the plane, but from what the tv said, it wasn't picked up by satellite, but maybe the military might have done.
    The transponders were working normally, so whatever organisations receive the transmissions will have received them. We know this because various fight tracking websites were tracking the aircraft right up to the point it crashed
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    housegirl wrote: »
    Ukraine's TSN channel has reported that 23 US citizens were onboard the plane.

http://rt.com/news/173628-malaysian-plane-crash-ukraine/

The Ukraine interior minister claimed over 300 died along with these 23 US citizens. I would take these reports with a pinch of salt, the Sky News reporter suggested that it may well be propaganda to irritate/upset the Americans for political purposes.
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Ukrainian Interior Ministry official Anton Gerashchenko writing on Facebook: "Just now, over Torez, terrorists using a Buk anti-aircraft system kindly given to them by Putin have shot down a civilian airliner flying from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur."

"There is no limit to the cynicism of Putin and his terrorists!"

"Europe, USA, Canada, the civilised world, open your eyes! Help us in any way you can! This is a war of good against evil!"

Kiev has been desperate for a NATO war against Russia for months. I must say that much of rhetoric coming out of Kiev in recent months could easily have come out of the mouth of Saddam, Bin Laden or the Kim family, with talk of fire and brimstone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Dix wrote: »

It was reportedly being tracked by the normal tracking systems up to the moment it disappeared off the systems.

Edit: Beaten to it by Ethel.
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Tragic:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=465419050262262&set=a.121009184703252.21333.100003825135026&type=1

That is a dutch man who posted a joke before he was due to take off saying "Just in case it goes missing, this is what the plane looks like".
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heartache wrote: »

Indeed, and for those who are saying that Malaysian Airlines cannot be held responsible, it was ultimately their decision for the flight to take that flight path.

Sky News also mentioned this about an hour ago - other airlines avoid the area but Malaysian Airlines and a couple of other Eastern Airlines had been until today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    Indeed, and for those who are saying that Malaysian Airlines cannot be held responsible, it was ultimately their decision for the flight to take that flight path.

Sky News also mentioned this about an hour ago - other airlines avoid the area but Malaysian Airlines and a couple of other Eastern Airlines had been until today.
    BBC is saying it was a normal route.
  • Options
    humanracerhumanracer Posts: 1,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC just showed a clip of Obama speaking at a fundraising event. He was pretty quick to move on from the subject and crack a few jokes. Guess you have to ligthen the mood somehow.