Options

Celebrity MasterChef 2014

Comments

• Options
    RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    Finally he's gone! Nice chap but I still think he stayed a little longer than was truly necessary at the expense of maybe better folks.

But lovely to see how close they are and that was an impressive load of pirouettes!
  • Options
    xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    how did wayne make it so far. ????
    A lovely guy but he tends to do badly most episodes & challenges yet pull out a great dish in the last round when it counted.
    He did well to get so far but his run ended , he did terrible that final round.
    I don't think he should have got that far over some of the others but the right 3 went through.

I personally hope Sophie wins. She is not only a lovely person but a strong cook & has done well throughout.
    That last round in particular the critics were in awe.
  • Options
    jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    She always does, I am beginning to wonder if it is an act.

I don't think it's an act - she comes from a family that's well-known for being a bit 'scatty' and (in the nicest possible way!) a bit bonkers, so add that to the nerves they're all clearly feeling when they're under pressure in the kitchen and the end result is the Sophie we see on screen. I can't imagine, once that countdown starts for their cooking time, that they have any spare brain capacity left for 'acting a part' on a show like MC.

Poor Wayne - he should never have got that far. That's where I take issue with the 'only the last thing you cooked counts' rule they seem to have - I was going to say 'only the last round counts', but in a round with sub-sections (such as the semi-final when Biggins went out, in which he was miles ahead of Wayne in two sub-sections, only to be let down by the final one where he misinterpreted the brief and concentrated too much on who had inspired him, not more complex cooking) they don't look at the round as a whole, only the final sub-section.

That's often the cause of the kind of judging anomalies which lead to accusations by some people of it all being one big fix for one particular person to win when an apparently much better contestant gets booted off in favour of someone inherently weaker, but who had one good round when it counted. But then, I've never been one of the conspiracy theorists who thinks they've picked their winner from the start, or only want young, pretty faces to go through over how they can cook - I've never seen any evidence of that in, watching as an impartial viewer! But I do agree that the 'last dish wins' rule is the cause of much upset (which can look like 'fixing' in isolation) when you look at the likes of Peter Bayliss winning when he had a very patchy final, and people like Biggins being eliminated just because he 'cooked' a simple trifle in honour of his Auntie Vi but had out-cooked Wayne in every other challenge they'd done.

So, out of who's left? I really don't mind - as I say, I never have a 'favourite', so I will be happy with whoever wins. If they all deserve to be there - which they do - then I have no issue with any of them winning. I did think Sophie was a potential winner right from the start, so I'm pleased she's there to fight for it, and Charlie has come out of himself much more in recent rounds. Jodie has lovely presentation and understands food, and even though she has probably never eaten what I would call a 'normal' portion of food in her life, she understands how to cook and put things together.

Looking forward to it! :)
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's an act - she comes from a family that's well-known for being a bit 'scatty' and (in the nicest possible way!) a bit bonkers, so add that to the nerves they're all clearly feeling when they're under pressure in the kitchen and the end result is the Sophie we see on screen. I can't imagine, once that countdown starts for their cooking time, that they have any spare brain capacity left for 'acting a part' on a show like MC.

I have never seen her before this series so no idea if the family is a bit 'bonkers'! I don't think I have ever watched Charlie either though vaguely familiar with him. I have seen Jodie on various programmes, she has a posh background but is always very down to earth so no surprise that she works hard.
  • Options
    JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like Charlie to win, but think that Sophie will be champion. Whoever wins, I just hope they don't cry and blub all over the place :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    If Biggins and Millie had been kept in, and Wayne expelled long ago, as he should have been, we could have had a very different line up for the final.

It really is time they brought in a proper scoring system for the rounds that have more than one task. They could use a scoring system similar to the one they use in the American IronChef competition. Imagination, execution, presentation, taste....and have a rolling score, and a result that is easy to understand.

Or maybe a placing system, 1st,2nd, 3rd, 4th, with points for each place, and again a total. I also think there should be more than The Toad and Shrek judging.

Every year I watch all the masterchefs, and every year I moan about the unfairness of the judging, and vow I'll never watch it again, because it's so clearly biased. But.....every year I roll back in and watch.
  • Options
    Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    homebaked wrote: »
    If Biggins and Millie had been kept in, and Wayne expelled long ago, as he should have been, we could have had a very different line up for the final.

It really is time they brought in a proper scoring system for the rounds that have more than one task. They could use a scoring system similar to the one they use in the American IronChef competition. Imagination, execution, presentation, taste....and have a rolling score, and a result that is easy to understand.

Or maybe a placing system, 1st,2nd, 3rd, 4th, with points for each place, and again a total. I also think there should be more than The Toad and Shrek judging.

Every year I watch all the masterchefs, and every year I moan about the unfairness of the judging, and vow I'll never watch it again, because it's so clearly biased. But.....every year I roll back in and watch.

Who would have made way for Biggins and Millie out of these finalists? Charley and Sophie were clearly (IMO) the most talented and creative from the get go. Jodie has worked hard and deserves her place.

I disagree that the order of leaving would have affected the final three. Maybe you could exchange Millie for Jodie, but you'd be losing the better contestant if you did. Jodie's decision-making and leadership skills have been crucial in many key tasks -- Tudor banquet, invention relay and South American street food.

I think this is a great final three!
  • Options
    Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like to apologise to homebaked for sounding brisk and opinionated. Too late to edit! I'd just been reading the comments on the MC facebook page and forgot to take off my armour when I came back here.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never seen her before this series so no idea if the family is a bit 'bonkers'! I don't think I have ever watched Charlie either though vaguely familiar with him. I have seen Jodie on various programmes, she has a posh background but is always very down to earth so no surprise that she works hard.

Sophie is the younger daughter of Eric Thompson and Phyllida Law.
    :)
    Pet Monkey wrote: »
    I'd like to apologise to homebaked for sounding brisk and opinionated. Too late to edit! I'd just been reading the comments on the MC facebook page and forgot to take off my armour when I came back here.
    :):)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    k9fan wrote: »
    Not to mention the sister of Emma, and she can cartainly be mad as a box of frogs sometimes. :D All the Thompson women seem really lovely.

Anyway, I just had my head in my hands while watching Wayne. To think he was there instead of Biggins, Millie or Amanda is perplexing.
  • Options
    JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find that Sophie seems to be acting a part.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :):)

Sister of Emma makes more sense to me and explains being a bit bonkers!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sister of Emma makes more sense to me and explains being a bit bonkers!
    :confused::)

Their father wrote the Magic Roundabout, I think, and their mother is a good actress.
    Sophie was in Four Weddings and a Funeral, and East Enders.
  • Options
    sausagesandwichsausagesandwich Posts: 2,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evening all
    Foams and purees, deconstructions and beetroot fritters here we come.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Their father wrote the Magic Roundabout, I think, and their mother is a good actress.

Correction: he narrated the Magic Roundabout.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I find there were so many people in Four Weddings that it is often difficult to work out which part someone played when told they were in it! Never watched East Enders.
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    RFS wrote: »
    Finally he's gone! Nice chap but I still think he stayed a little longer than was truly necessary at the expense of maybe better folks.

But lovely to see how close they are and that was an impressive load of pirouettes!

Biggins was better - but didn't try in his fatal round. Millie was miles better, and should have been competing tonight for the win.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Correction: he narrated the Magic Roundabout.

He wrote it as well.
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hellooooo......
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good evening All - here we go! :)
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For the last time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Charlie has got his game face on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aaaaaw her son is beautiful. He looks like one of those cherubs.
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    homebaked wrote: »

Difficult though - you then have the brilliant idea poorly executed compared to the simpler idea welll done - and controversial marks. Or marking a team when inputs were different. Or comparing 2 successes, a triumph and a complete disaster with 4 OK dishes. You also have the problem that the idea in many rounds may be from someone else, so ,what looks like precision marking, just brings in an external factor,
  • Options
    Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,461
    Forum Member
    Come on, Sophie. Go girl!! :)