Options

People who have gained, lost or changed religion as adults.

124»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    You are always free to change if you can shake off the psychological programming.

No thanks, I'm fine.
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ramo1234 wrote: »
    I waa born from a Christian family so I have always been a Christian.

If you we born into an atheist family, would you have always been an atheist?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    IFunnily enough, we were trying to explain to our kids the other day who the folk musician Richard Thompson was, and I never liked his music when he became a muslim as he did seem remarkably misogynistic in the 1980s. Maybe he's grown up. But it's in my conditioning to assume converts are either vulnerable or not rigorous thinkers (I know that's bad of me, too but it is my kneejerk reaction). Converts are historically perceived as zealots and tubthumpers. This may or may not be unfair.

He became a sufi. They are not misogynistic (though of course he may have been personally.) They have a very active women's rights movement. Here is his description:
    What it was really," he says, "I had been waiting as long as I could remember for an appropriate way to thank God. Simple as that. I wanted to say thanks for life and creation for being here and I didn't know how to do it. It sounds pretty basic but as I prayed for the first time, I felt an overwhelming sense that this was what I had needed: to put my head down on the ground and feel I had submitted to something greater than me."

To stop searching for meaning?

"To stop using my brain for thinking and to start using it for reflecting."
  • Options
    Forum Member

Well it depends really, if I found God and he came into my life and did good stuff for me then I would've gave myself to him and convert.
    But if not then I would've probably remained athiest.
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it depends really, if I found God and he came into my life and did good stuff for me then I would've gave myself to him and convert.

Been a whole lot happier too.
  • Options
    Forum Member

So are you trying to say that my life isn't happy as I am Christian? I'm fine being a believer and my life IS happy.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was and didn't. I'm SBNR. I don't believe in Christianity or any other religion. That's my choice. We are all capable of thinking for ourselves.

Yes there are many wrongs but.........

Religion has done and still does a lot of good in the world.

Tarring all believers with the same brush is ridiculous.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He became a sufi. They are not misogynistic (though of course he may have been personally.) They have a very active women's rights movement. Here is his description:

And he is one of my favourite singer/songwriters of all time. Plus a brilliant guitarist.
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    I was agnostic as a child and up to the age of 26, then I became an atheist.

I don't know if that counts.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    What it was really," he says, "I had been waiting as long as I could remember for an appropriate way to thank God. Simple as that. I wanted to say thanks for life and creation for being here and I didn't know how to do it. It sounds pretty basic but as I prayed for the first time, I felt an overwhelming sense that this was what I had needed: to put my head down on the ground and feel I had submitted to something greater than me."

To stop searching for meaning?

"To stop using my brain for thinking and to start using it for reflecting."

Interesting. Seeing life and indeed creation as something devised so I could exist is a revealing perspective. Thompson depicts his stance there as humble; I regard it as the opposite.
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Fair dues, was half expecting you to say that you would have definitely become a Christian.
    anne_666 wrote: »
    I was and didn't. I'm SBNR. I don't believe in Christianity or any other religion. That's my choice. We are all capable of thinking for ourselves.

Yes there are many wrongs but.........

Religion has done and still does a lot of good in the world.

Tarring all believers with the same brush is ridiculous.

BIB - It's not as simple as that. Those brought up in religious families may feel pressure to follow in this family tradition, especially if the family is devoutly religious. It's good that you have found your own path, but others may not have the liberty to find theirs.

As for the rest of your post, I wasn't tarring anyone, don't know where that came from.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair dues, was half expecting you to say that you would have definitely become a Christian.

BIB - It's not as simple as that. Those brought up in religious families may feel pressure to follow in this family tradition, especially if the family is devoutly religious. It's good that you have found your own path, but others may not have the liberty to find theirs.

As for the rest of your post, I wasn't tarring anyone, don't know where that came from.

Sorry that was a general comment and not directed at you.

I have to also agree about family pressure. As someone who's divorced the toxic members of her family I know I would stand up for myself but many don't have the strength to do that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That really is a bit bizarre, unless I have missed the posts where Ramo says how unhappy his beliefs make him.
  • Options
    too_much_coffeetoo_much_coffee Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friend is a committed athiest and brought up her son with the firm doctrine that all religions are hocus pocus. His teenage rebellion was to become a Catholic and go to mass every Sunday much to her horror. To her it was more shocking that drink, drugs or any other teenage misbehavior.

He is still Catholic at 24 but much less devout as he wasn't so keen about the "no sex before marriage" bit - but he still quotes the bible if he really wants to wind her up.
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That really is a bit bizarre, unless I have missed the posts where Ramo says how unhappy his beliefs make him.

Not having to worry about going to hell is big weight of ones mind.
  • Options
    Forum Member

But I never once said I am not happy being Christian so I don't know why you felt the need to say this:
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

been around christians all my life. was one for years. Have known many hundreds.
    Have never, ever heard such a worry expressed.
    some people here do have some very bizarre views, and not just believers.
  • Options
    fleabeefleabee Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe. I don't do religious things like going to church etc. I was brought up with Sunday school and went to church regularly but I didn't like the sanctimonious shite that was spouted by the so called devout. But faith is faith and I am happy with what I believe.
  • Options
    The 12th DoctorThe 12th Doctor Posts: 4,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I realised Jesus was an outright lie and am now on the long slow process to converting to Judaism. There's a mohel out there sharpening his blade as we speak :o
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think he might have revised himself a bit - as I swear I once heard an interview with Linda Thompson which made it fairly plain he was of the 'walk five paces behind me' variety... Although I suppose converts are keener at first.;-)
  • Options
    The 12th DoctorThe 12th Doctor Posts: 4,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My friend is a committed athiest and brought up her son with the firm doctrine that all religions are hocus pocus. His teenage rebellion was to become a Catholic and go to mass every Sunday much to her horror. To her it was more shocking that drink, drugs or any other teenage misbehavior.

He is still Catholic at 24 but much less devout as he wasn't so keen about the "no sex before marriage" bit - but he still quotes the bible if he really wants to wind her up.

Epic! :D