Options

Man United Supporters Thread (Part 47)

Comments

• Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,549
    Forum Member
    It will be a shameless LVG love-in and Woodward will be incredibly smug.

Have we ever even seen a half-hour interview with our illustrious "Executive Vice-Chairman" before? I haven't, anyway, so I am interested in two things: what's the guy actually like as he's a bit of a mystery to me; and will he give any clues about funds availability for transfer targets. Three things: will MUTV dare to ask any searching questions!
  • Options
    ellieb123ellieb123 Posts: 7,546
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Have we ever even seen a half-hour interview with our illustrious "Executive Vice-Chairman" before? I haven't, anyway, so I am interested in two things: what's the guy actually like as he's a bit of a mystery to me; and will he give any clues about funds availability for transfer targets. Three things: will MUTV dare to ask any searching questions!

Not much chance of that- this is MUTV we are talking about... 'Can you guess what's through the round window today kids?' is about the level of their questioning.
  • Options
    Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,990
    Forum Member
    Looks like the Vermalen deal has moved a step closer as Wenger has said that he can't guarantee that he will be at Arsenal next season, if we have an on form and fit Vermalen he could be a good signing. We do need a an experience defender after losing Vidic, Ferdinand and probably Evra, we have lost a lot of experience and we need to address that, hopefully Vermalen is the answer.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we do sign Vermaelaen, then I guess he will be coming for first team football, so who will be his partner, in a first choice team? Evans or Jones? Or could it be Smalling?

Personally, I think it should be Evans, as he is our most expierenced defender, so it would make sense for it to be him.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please no Vermaelen. He was hyped up in his first season at Arsenal as he scored a few goals which blinded people to fact that he can't actually defend and has horrible positional sense. He's still living on the reputation he got then and still can't defend for toffee. Wenger seems to have noticed, mind.
  • Options
    alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's Vermaelen.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woodward is flying back from the tour on Monday.

Make of that what you will....
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sodavlac wrote: »
    Please no Vermaelen. He was hyped up in his first season at Arsenal as he scored a few goals which blinded people to fact that he can't actually defend and has horrible positional sense. He's still living on the reputation he got then and still can't defend for toffee. Wenger seems to have noticed, mind.

The prospect of this worries me greatly.

It must be a long time since we were clamouring to sign an Arsenal reject.:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    Woodward is flying back from the tour on Monday.

Make of that what you will....

Déjà vu or what?! :o
  • Options
    Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,990
    Forum Member
    Déjà vu or what?! :o

I hope not, hopefully he can actually sign a few players this time and learn from last summer's mistakes won't hold my breath though, hope Woodward proves me wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bebe, Henriquez, and Wilson are all in the Under 21's match day team for the ongoing match v Bray today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fergie86 wrote: »
    I hope not, hopefully he can actually sign a few players this time and learn from last summer's mistakes won't hold my breath though, hope Woodward proves me wrong.
    Unlike last summer, I hope that we get our main transfer target (Vidal as opposed to that pesky Cesc nonsense), but with LvG pushing Ed, rather than Moyes to get the deals done, I am a little bit more confident this year.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bebe, Henriquez, and Wilson are all in the Under 21's match day team for the ongoing match v Bray today.

United losing 1-0 according to the Chinese bookie's scoreboard, not that it matters. About 15 minutes left.

http://free.7m.cn/live.aspx?mark=en

Edit: And that was the final score - 1-0 to Bray.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sodavlac wrote: »
    United losing 1-0 according to the Chinese bookie's scoreboard, not that it matters. About 15 minutes left.

http://free.7m.cn/live.aspx?mark=en

Edit: And that was the final score - 1-0 to Bray.

Thanks for the update, shame that we lost, but hopefully we will see better from them in the upcoming friendlies.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stories from the papers

Star on Sunday

Louis Van Gaal will this week step up his battle to sign Arsenal club captain Thomas Vermaelen.

Manchester United have already had a £6m bid for the Belgium centre-back knocked back. But Van Gaal sees him as a key signing and will up the stakes to £10m.

Old Trafford legend Paul McGrath has urged Louis Van Gaal to snap up Aston Villa defender Ron Vlaar, 29.

New Manchester United boss Van Gaal is inheriting a weakened defence after the departures of Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic, with Patrice Evra set to be sold too.

Van Gaal has been linked with moves for Feyenoord ace Stefan de Vrij, 22 and Borussia Dortmund star Mats Hummels, 25.

But McGrath says Vlaar should be a target too.

He said: 'With Luke Shaw coming in its going to be a young defence'.

'Im hoping he'll bring in a good experienced defender. Vlaar would be on that list'.

Cardiff are battling it out with Blackburn in the race to sign Manchester United starlet Michael Keane on loan.

Bluebirds boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer wants the England Under 21s centre- back as a replacement for £8million defender Steven Caulker who is set to join QPR this week.

Yet both Championship clubs will have to play a waiting game to land Keane as new United boss Louis Van Gaal assesses the young gun on the club's pre-season tour of America.

Sun on Sunday

Louis Van Gaal faces a battle with Barcelona to land Danny Blind.

The Manchester United boss is a massive fan of the 24-year-old midfielder who can play at left-back and in central midfield.

But Van Gaal's old club Barca are also in the hunt to snare the Ajax man for £17.5 million.

Manchester United reserve Marnick Vermijl is threatening to quit the club after being left out of their tour of America.

The unknown Belgium defender spent last season on loan at Dutch side NEC Nijmegen after making one senior appearance in the previous three years.

Vermijl, 22, moaned: 'It was a huge disappointment. We agreed during David Moyes time in charge that I would go on tour'.

'On Thursday Louis Van Gaal told me I could take you but you wouldn't get a minute on the pitch' - but I want first-team football at all costs'.

Sunday People

Inter Milan have stepped up their pursuit of Manchester United's Little Pea Javier Hernandez.

The Italians have met the 26-year-old Mexico star's father, who is also his agent, and could even settle on a loan deal even though a permanent switch remains their preferred option.

Hernandez - rated at £9.5million by United - is also wanted by Southampton and sides in Turkey and Russia, but Inter hope to tie up a move this week.
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see much point in loaning out Hernandez.

Might as well sell him. He's never going to be first choice.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kudos to Rory McIlroy for getting United into his acceptance speech at the golf!
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kudos to Rory McIlroy for getting United into his acceptance speech at the golf!

Didn't go down well in Liverpool did it :D
  • Options
    Jewels501Jewels501 Posts: 26,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can't help but think that Rory is a prat but I do like that he's friends with Rafa Nadal (my idol) and supports United.

What is one to do?

On a different note, is anyone else nervous that LVG said there would be no inward transfers for at least 3 weeks whilst he assesses the squad? Whilst this seems a sound approach, is it not being too presumptuous in thinking United without CL is as attractive as it might have been. Surely if there are players out there who appear as if they might be persuaded to move, the sooner the better?

Or am I being the eternal pessimist? (And Batdude don't answer....).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see much point in loaning out Hernandez.

Might as well sell him. He's never going to be first choice.

It should be one or the other, keep him or sell him, loaning him is just delaying the decision for a year, and would solve nothing really.

I missed that as I was watching the cricket, I must catch up with it, what was the general gist?
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jewels501 wrote: »
    I can't help but think that Rory is a prat but I do like that he's friends with Rafa Nadal (my idol) and supports United.

What is one to do?

On a different note, is anyone else nervous that LVG said there would be no inward transfers for at least 3 weeks whilst he assesses the squad? Whilst this seems a sound approach, is it not being too presumptuous in thinking United without CL is as attractive as it might have been. Surely if there are players out there who appear as if they might be persuaded to move, the sooner the better?

Or am I being the eternal pessimist? (And Batdude don't answer....).

He said he will take 3/4 weeks to look at the current players, he didn't say anything about transfers. We brought in Shaw while Evra's future was still unknown, and we brought in Herrera even though we have a lot of midfielders. People have misconstrued that comment as 'players coming in', but I think the truth is actually the opposite, there will be no deadwood leaving until the assessment is over (or LVG sees the blindingly obvious before then)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He said he will take 3/4 weeks to look at the current players, he didn't say anything about transfers. We brought in Shaw while Evra's future was still unknown, and we brought in Herrera even though we have a lot of midfielders. People have misconstrued that comment as 'players coming in', but I think the truth is actually the opposite, there will be no deadwood leaving until the assessment is over (or LVG sees the blindingly obvious before then)

Yeah, you're right. I think I'm a bit of a "doom and gloom" merchant. I can't believe we've now got a manager with the cajones to manage us. The last 20 odd years have built in the "siege" mentality and LG seems more than capable of encouraging that to stir the players.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It should be one or the other, keep him or sell him, loaning him is just delaying the decision for a year, and would solve nothing really.

I must say I will miss little pea. I remember watching him score in the Charity Shield (yes, I've forgotten what it's now called) with his face. His absolute joy at that was so infectious. I actually think that in terms of "personality" (in as much as us fans can ever know), he's my fave United player at the moment. He said he cried when he heard United wanted him ....bless.
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Wrong, I'm afraid.

“Of course I know how the players play but I don’t know how the players play once I have trained and coached them. The first three, four weeks I want to see what they can do and then maybe I will buy more players.

“The players we have bought already, such as Ander Herrera, were already on the list. I gave them my approval because I like them, but first I want to see the players performing my philosophy."

He quite clearly stated that he would wait 3-4 weeks before buying anyone else. It could be a bluff of course, but I don't see that the quotes can be 'misconstrued'.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wrong, I'm afraid.

“Of course I know how the players play but I don’t know how the players play once I have trained and coached them. The first three, four weeks I want to see what they can do and then maybe I will buy more players.

“The players we have bought already, such as Ander Herrera, were already on the list. I gave them my approval because I like them, but first I want to see the players performing my philosophy."

He quite clearly stated that he would wait 3-4 weeks before buying anyone else. It could be a bluff of course, but I don't see that the quotes can be 'misconstrued'.

You are right, I take my comment back.
This discussion has been closed.