Options

"Poor cow"

Comments

• Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to Steven Kim getting ill and leaving the house is something which has been thrown at him.
  • Options
    E05297535E05297535 Posts: 5,602
    Forum Member
    fisch wrote: »
    It was the total lack of any sincerity that made me laugh Now telling himself not to cry.LMAO

Thought I was hearing things when he was saying this. ....what a complete and utter jackass!!!!
  • Options
    Marc_Anthony1Marc_Anthony1 Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eva_prior wrote: »
    I thought that's what I heard, but then convinced myself he must have said 'poor Kim.' I am genuinely shocked by this thread confirming it.

I have always regarded that as an acutely offensive sexist term, not a term of endearment

What on earth was he thinking.

How is it sexist? What on earth. Maybe where you live but up here it's just a sarcastic way of saying the poor sod, poor love etc. My mum's friend says it all the time when she's talking about her sister (her husband is a miserable tw-at) and her dog is sick at the minute, and she says it all the time. She's really nice and not some monster, so no idea what you are talking about.

I don't get why Steven said it though, it didn't really make much sense for him to do it, but if another HM had said it, particularly one of the girls, it would make more sense. It isn't really something guys say as it sounds bizarre. It's like a man calling another man love or hun, it's weird.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    He's telling the truth though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    How is it sexist? What on earth. Maybe where you live but up here it's just a sarcastic way of saying the poor sod, poor love etc. My mum's friend says it all the time when she's talking about her sister (her husband is a miserable tw-at) and her dog is sick at the minute, and she says it all the time. She's really nice and not some monster, so no idea what you are talking about.

I don't get why Steven said it though, it didn't really make much sense for him to do it, but if another HM had said it, particularly one of the girls, it would make more sense. It isn't really something guys say as it sounds bizarre. It's like a man calling another man love or hun, it's weird.

It's totally sexist. All cows are female.

Oh wait.

I love how people just say 'THAT'S SEXIST' every time a man speaks about a woman. Hilarity.

Clearly he didn't mean it the way all of you are interpreting, please stop overreacting. It's really embarrassing.
  • Options
    Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steven says that about Kimberly but I thought he loved her? You don't say that about your gf
  • Options
    Jim StarkJim Stark Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    GazzaBB wrote: »
    It's totally sexist. All cows are female.

Oh wait.

I love how people just say 'THAT'S SEXIST' every time a man speaks about a woman. Hilarity.

Clearly he didn't mean it the way all of you are interpreting, please stop overreacting. It's really embarrassing.

Clearly we have quite a few holes in your elementary education to fill. (Which must be pretty embarrassing for you.)

First of all: it's a gendered insult. Which means it can be validly cited as a sexist comment. Further exploration as to whether the specific context in which it was used help qualify or compound it as a sexist comment might also be valid. But to dismiss it prima facie as not being sexist is quite strange. . .

Unless you're not even familiar with your farmyard animals. Which begs the question: just how early did you stop paying attention in school?

The gender neutral term is "cattle." Individually they're counted by head. A male is a bull. A female is a cow. They both go moo. Stop me when any of this is starting to sound familiar.

In short: feminist/gender relations theory is challenging. Animal gender really shouldn't be. Attempt to attain a firmer grasp on the latter before stumbling over the former.
  • Options
    IoanaPIoanaP Posts: 1,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jim Stark wrote: »
    The gender neutral term is "cattle." Individually they're counted by head. A male is a bull. A female is a cow. They both go moo. Stop me when any of this is starting to sound familiar.

We discussed this in English class some years ago. The English teacher told us a number of answers I remember.

Cattle is a mass noun and because of this, the use of 'cow' is now in widespread use and so informally has been adopted as the singular gender neutral term.

In history the correct term is Ox but this is now been adopted to describe cattle who are used for pulling things like ploughs or other farm machines.
  • Options
    ladydancer1ladydancer1 Posts: 1,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awww, the language of love. :blush:

I caught that too, how endearing!!!>:(
  • Options
    SunnydaysSunnydays Posts: 12,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Awww, the language of love. :blush:

Awwww.........we can see from his nuzzling into Pauline's mammaries that the lad has a breast fetish........he is udderly in love.......:p
  • Options
    HenrikHenrik Posts: 2,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beep beep all aboard the offended bus.
  • Options
    GTR DavoGTR Davo Posts: 4,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its just a generic word what's wrong with some people? I have said that exact same line before about someone I care about, don't mean I don't care any less.
  • Options
    SeymourSeymour Posts: 8,248
    Forum Member
    Imo Steven is one of the most repulsive self- centered HM's we have ever had,' mummy dearest' didn't do a very good job of bringing him up, he is a total embarrassment.
  • Options
    CythnaCythna Posts: 3,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think of 'Poor cow' as a slightly old fashioned, working class expression, used mainly by women. I can't remember the last time I heard in in real life. Just 'cow' is very rude, but 'poor cow' isn't. There is something rather dated about Stephen.
  • Options
    sheils1sheils1 Posts: 16,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steven says that about Kimberly but I thought he loved her? You don't say that about your gf

Yes you do, you say it about anyone who is poorly, ffs get over it.
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor cow is something you throw at someone you don't like when you're pretending to care. Steven makes me laugh.
  • Options
    yipgumyipgum Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    eva_prior wrote: »
    I thought that's what I heard, but then convinced myself he must have said 'poor Kim.' I am genuinely shocked by this thread confirming it.

I have always regarded that as an acutely offensive sexist term, not a term of endearment

What on earth was he thinking.

I thought I hadn't heard him correctly and played it back. I thought ,"Poor dear," would be nice but "Poor cow," proves to me he is gay and is playing a game. He was all over her and she was not into him whereas you look at Helen stroking Ashman's hair and she is right into him.
  • Options
    ***netty******netty*** Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    I thought I heard him say "poor cow" but wasn't sure. He sure is an odd one haha.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,927
    Forum Member
    There are lots of names associated with women which equate them to livestock or animals, sub-human and ownable. Cow, Mare, Chick, Hen, Fox, Vixen, Dog, Bitch, Bunny, Cat, Pussy,

Although men do get pig sometimes. You old dog you. You old goat. SIlver fox. Easy tiger. Not as degrading or convincing a list, is it.

Anyway regardless of all that, poor cow can indeed be used in an affectionate way. That's what Steven was trying to affect, but it's hard for a PSYCHOPATH [clap of thunder and lightning] to pull off.
  • Options
    PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use 'poor cow', though I doubt if I'd use it for a brand new girlfriend who I was head over heels in love with, more for one of my aunties that I don't see that much :D
  • Options
    lightupvmlightupvm Posts: 680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How to tell if something is sexist - would you say 'poor cow' about a man? No? It's sexist then. It's not that difficult.
  • Options
    PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lightupvm wrote: »
    How to tell if something is sexist - would you say 'poor cow' about a man? No? It's sexist then. It's not that difficult.

I wouldn't call a man down my local 'pretty' either, unless I wanted my face punched in, a man is a man in East London :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,927
    Forum Member
    lightupvm wrote: »
    Seems a little simplistic, unless you think "she" and "her" are sexist too. There was in fact a move to put that right with "s/he" and "hir" but it seemed so inconvenient and ... silly ... that everyone agreed we'd be better off keeping sexism.
  • Options
    gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    Is it just a saying which some people use as an insult and others use in daily use as if it is nothing.

My sister moved to London and came home saying it but meaning no insults, whilst we were shocked.

But it is a strange thing to call the love of your life when they are ill in hospital.
  • Options
    PepperPlantPepperPlant Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    Pitman wrote: »
    I use 'poor cow', though I doubt if I'd use it for a brand new girlfriend who I was head over heels in love with, more for one of my aunties that I don't see that much :D

^ That sums up why it was strange I think, not necessarily the expression itself but the use of it in that context.