Options

Fifteen to One Series 1 on Challenge TV.

12346»

Comments

• Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,178
    Forum Member
    I thought I had imagined that, it was so obviously wrong. Surely WGS could've spotted that and corrected it. You don't have to be a geography expert.

Some of the contestants looked a bit surprised as well :D
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Had one of those odd things you notice last night.

When a housewife is on it puts that down on the display.

Last night the voice over said a guy was a full time house husband yet the display listed him as unemployed :D

A bit unfair imo :p
  • Options
    GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,496
    Forum Member
    I don't know who set the questions for Fifteen To One. I only hope they didn't give up the day job. On today's second show; On what island is The Old Man Of Hoy? WGS said Orkney but the answer's actually Hoy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's quite surprising how many incorrect questions/answers there were in the very early days.

WGS is the producer as well so must have had some input into the questions.

The way he comes across as being confident with the questions means he didn't know it himself or he's covering up the mistakes.

I wonder if/how many contestants complained when they suspected a wrong answer?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    One thing i've started to find annoying is getting to the questions.

WGS: Are you ready?
    Contestant: Yes
    WGS: Ok, i'll just give you a recap of the rules....blah blah

Not sure why it annoys me. Just one of those little things that does when he asks if they're ready the first time when it's not required.
  • Options
    davadsdavads Posts: 8,647
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    One thing i've started to find annoying is getting to the questions.

WGS: Ok, i'll just give you a recap of the rules....blah blah

Not sure why it annoys me. Just one of those little things that does when he asks if they're ready the first time when it's not required.

Guess it was just catering for infrequent viewers to what was then a new series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't mind him recapping the rules, it's just asking the contestant if they're ready then doing the recap and then asking them again.

As I say, just one of those little annoyances :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    What would he do if they said they weren't ready?
  • Options
    dfisher1dfisher1 Posts: 776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mind him recapping the rules...

I remember reading somewhere that re-iterating the rules was a way of "padding" out the show to fill the slot. You'll notice that if they are running behind schedule - like after the break - for the final round he'll mention the rules fully on some occasions, on others he will give a cut down version, and once or twice I've seen them launch straight in with no mention of the rules.

Of course that doesn't explain the repeat of the rules at the beginning since they don't know if they are running behind or ahead at that point. Like another poster has said it is probably just to remind the viewers. No doubt the rules are explained in great detail to the contestants before filming begins anyway.

A little WGS characteristic I have noticed is the kung-fu style chop on the pack of cards he does with the side of his hand. I wonder does he do that in later series?
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the second episode tomorrow (Friday) will presumably be the Series 1 Grand Final.

This is backed up by the fact Challenge is showing Wipeout in the slot from next Monday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Watched an episode last night with a strange woman called Maxine. She sounded like she should have been an announcer on Radio4 :D
  • Options
    CoriakinCoriakin Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    dfisher1 wrote: »
    I remember reading somewhere that re-iterating the rules was a way of "padding" out the show to fill the slot. You'll notice that if they are running behind schedule - like after the break - for the final round he'll mention the rules fully on some occasions, on others he will give a cut down version, and once or twice I've seen them launch straight in with no mention of the rules.

I suspect we might also get a fuller explanation of the rules for those shows which were to be transmitted at the start of the week or were the first recording of the day.

The most obvious example of padding that I remember from the original series was the introduction of the final three contestants after the break. A lot of informaton about them normally meant it had been a short second round or we were in for a poor final round. Another opportunity for padding was the description of the champions', and later top of the finals board, trophies, when William G started getting antique knick-knacks from the auctions as prizes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Caught the last two episodes last night.

Anyone know when series 2 will be shown?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Caught the last two episodes last night.

Anyone know when series 2 will be shown?

Unfortunately, Challenge have said on their Facebook page they don't currently have plans to show any more; apparently they haven't rated that well :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Does anything on Challenge rate well?

They can put them on at 3am for all i'm concerned.

When they first started I said I probably wouldn't watch every day but seeing as though an episode is about 20minutes long I did start to watch a couple per night and if I just watched one I had a few for the weekend.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah, it's disappointing but I can't say I'm surprised, this is Challenge after all. They'd much rather air legendary "game shows" like TNA Wrestling :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I noticed two errors in today's programmes. In the first episode, he asked what colour odd numbers were on a roulette wheel. Can't remember if the answer given was red or black but any roulette wheel I've seen has equal numbers of odd and even numbers in both colours.
    The one in the second episode was even more unbelievable. Stewart asked what nationality Christopher Columbus was. The contestant answered, "Venetian" and Stewart says, "Yes, he was Italian". Now I know they allow a certain amount of leeway for answers that are close but that's ridiculous. As far as I know, Columbus had no connection to Venice and was from Genoa, which is nowhere near Venice.
    I watched this one again yesterday and did a search as I was going to post about the roulette but thought it had been mentioned on here.

Another lenient one was 'Where is Sugarloaf mountiain?"
    Now the 'correct' answer of Rio de Janeiro was given but is was quite an ambiguous question as it didn't ask for a city.
    Would Brazil have been an acceptable answer?