Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 60)

Comments

• Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    I dont expect Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony to come near 10million average, nor does the Beeb. They'll be happy with a 6m average for the opener. It hasnt been promoted too much nor is it anywhere near on the same level as the Olympic Games. Will rate lower than the World Cup opening ceremony which got 8million, there's no reason why it should rate any higher than that.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Shows what they think of Deal. Must be gone soon.

I am quite suprised that Noel has not been picked up by someone (especially the BBC) to front some LE format.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Also, unless Monty Python consolidates to more than 855k or more, it is definitely not GOLD's most watched programme ever (inc +1).

In fact, just last year, two repeats of Mrs Brown's Boys consolidated to ~800k on the channel....

Do you know what is Gold's highest rated show?
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    I dont expect Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony to come near 10million average, nor does the Beeb. They'll be happy with a 6m average for the opener. It hasnt been promoted too much nor is it anywhere near on the same level as the Olympic Games. Will rate lower than the World Cup opening ceremony which got 8million, there's no reason why it should rate any higher than that.

Nowhere near the same level as the Olympics, correct, that is why the prediction is 10m not 20m

Should rate no higher than the World Cup opening? So a special programme dedicated to the ceremony across BBC1 with major BBC staff commentating, for an event that is being held in the UK, should rate no better than a throwaway ceremony that wasn't even billed in the listings, and was basically just a build up to the first match, skipped over as quick as possible and commentated on by ITV's duty football commentators.

Yeah right. Under prediction alert. :D
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,697
    Forum Member
    It hasnt been promoted too much.
    Good one Sam. Carry on in this form and Ken has a rival for the title of funniest Ratings Thread regular.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you know what is Gold's highest rated show?

Amusingly, if you go back to January 1st, 2006, the show in question is from January 1st, 2006. :D It is, however, only a Wallace and Gromit repeat with 855k (6.5%).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    I am quite suprised that Noel has not been picked up by someone (especially the BBC) to front some LE format.

Noel is one of the best light entertainment presenters out there and excellent on live TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anybody know what Murdered By My Boyfriend got on BBC1 last night? I really hope more people caught this repeat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think that they will be happy with that rating. I can't see it getting 10m though.
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,649
    Forum Member
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    That'll teach me not to click for arrows on a website!! :p My mistake.

I'd love to see 'Deep Breath' hit 10m, but if that's the figure that DOTD got on a cold night in November - with far far more promotion than Capaldi's debut has had, including documentaries and specially-commissioned dramas - I'd be surprised to see DB getting more than 9m on overnights in the summer.

Eh I mean 10 million consolidated. I think the opener is likely to reach 8.5 mmillion overnight. That may be too low but I don't think it can hit 10 million overnight. It will timeshift really well though as it always does. "Doctor Who" has a safe enough future I'd say as its popularity is so huge now here and on BBC America.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GoshBagosh wrote: »
    I can see it being a stable show for CW for years to come... its got a fantastic lead in...and season 2 will only have 16 episodes, so it will not drag.. :)
    The producers have said that they will always have somewhat short seasons...opposed to the regular 22-24 episode season for a CW show

It is a bit variable in quality though, I really don't see it carrying on those numbers for E4, but we'll see.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »
    Variety of genres. A channel that mixes up the genres will inevitably get a broader overall audience than a "focussed" channel. Back in the 80s ITV used to have broadly the same "mix" as BBC1, but it lost its way a few years back and dropped out of certain genres (esp comedy/natural history). It's doing better on the comedy front now but, once lost, it takes a long time to get the viewers back.

I'm sure we're all delighted to see this dicussion back but I would certainly question why variety of genres lends itself to so-called default viewing. The broad mix of genres on BBC1 surely makes it totally unsuitable to watch non-stop, how many people tonight will seamlessly transfer from 'stEnders to Panorama? Virtually none. Surely if you're going to sit there all day wanting unchallenging viewing you're going to watch a channel that shows the same kind of thing all day, whether that's watching hours and hours of rolling news or something like Challenge where you can watch quizzes all day.
    pdwill wrote: »
    I don't think ITV have really broadened their appeal that much under Fincham. The occasional sitcom, more in the way of factual content perhaps, but ITV's weekly soap marathon remains and is like Japanese Knotweed slowly strangling the life out of their schedule. For the country's number 1 commercial broadcaster to be so reliant on 2 soaps (of which 1 now seems to be slightly faltering) is in many ways remarkable and from a commercial perspective I would have thought somewhat alarming.

Don't think ITV are doing better on the comedy front at all, three sitcoms, none of which are any good (one of which has been dropped from ITV1), and nothing else, no attempts at panel games or anything like that. Even BBC1's current dreadful comedy slate dwarfs that. I think ITV's comedy line-up is the worst it's ever been, remarkable given Fincham spent some twenty years as one of our most distinguished comedy producers. A decade ago it was possible to say ITV's comedy line-up was better than BBC1's, with things like Baddiel and Skinner and TV Burp and The Sketch Show. And they were the kind of shows that appealed to an ITV audience, too, unlike Vicious which should be nowhere near ITV1.

I actually thought Fincham was a good BBC1 controller after he moved Panorama to 8.30 (which was a wholly sensible decision), introduced Sunday Strictly which was a masterstroke and sorted out 7pm with The One Show (because 7pm was an absolute disaster before that arrived, all over the shop). But since he's been on ITV I don't think he's done anything of any value, really, you've got some good shows but some total disasters and there are numerous things that have required surgery for years and haven't been sorted out. How come four years on we're no nearer to getting a replacement for The Bill, for example?

The last time ITV were this bad was in 2006 when they were making ridiculous scheduling decisions like axing Foyle's War (which they had to humiliantingly bring back), wasting time on shows like Love Island and commissioning spoilers for their own shows like Soapstar Superstar. Back then we got to the situation where in the summer of 2006 ITV were only showing three dramas, two of which (Where The Heart Is and Bad Girls) were about to be axed, which seemed amazing at the time. This summer, we've had none at all. This is absolutely the worst ITV have been in its lifetime.

And around the turn of the century I thought ITV was a great example of a popular TV channel, I would say I probably watched as much of it as I did BBC1, because it had a real swagger about it, and it was really quite daring too, trying stuff like Cold Feet and The Second Coming in primetime. And they were making strides in comedy with people iike Frank Skinner, which they're not doing now, and without alienating the traditional ITV audience.
    Andy23 wrote: »
    ITV have shown the same number of soap episodes for about 10 years now, but people still talk as if they are gradually increasing year on year.

Their domination of the schedules is greatly overplayed, there are still many hours of prime time available for other programmes.

Only this week it was the BBC who was criticised for airing too many episodes of a small number of programmes dominating 2 hours of the main 3 hours of prime time, so even without as many soaps, it isn't as if there is a much bigger variety of programmes being aired.

Well, there is, because BBC1's big brands are from numerous genres, so nobody's watching them all, whereas ITV's big brands are soaps and that's it. If you don't like soaps, what is there for you?

However it is true that the number of soap episodes on ITV has now remained static since 2003. What it undoubtedly the case, though, is that unlike in 2003 they do appear to be on all the time, due to rank bad scheduling. Mondays and Fridays are an absolute traffic jam and there's no need for it. You know what I'm going to say, M T S T S.
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    More correctly, it's featured as the first of the "highlights", along with Wimbledon's 17m peak and Andy Murray's win, the birth of Prince George, the iWonder learning sites, the BBC weather app being downloaded 6.3 million times,and the Cbeebies app being downloaded 2.4 million times

Which they absolutely ballsed up, of course. The other bits are right, though. The Weather app is ace.
  • Options
    patrick95patrick95 Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    Any idea how the premier of HUGO did last night on Channel 4? I imagine it probably rounded off a very solid night for them ...
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read recently that Ch4 pay Noel around £3million each year. That seems an very high salary for someone who is presenting a dying show. Plus that is all he presents for them.

I imagine Bradley Walsh is not on a salary that high!?
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    The Open Championship on BBC one averaged 2.9 million viewers over six hours and brought in a 25.9% share of the audience. Overnights TV tweets

And the BBC Annual Report is out today apparently.mmm

2.5million(22%) last year with a peak of 3.4million (24.9%)-seems pretty healthy over 6 hours this year with a much bigger peak and Mcilroy hopefully will continue to drive interest in Golf-and with a bit of luck Woods will still be around for a few years yet.
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,649
    Forum Member
    Looking back at ITV in 2000 it was very good I would say for all the reasons Steve already mentioned. And if it could regain some of that back by adding drama and comedy into its schedule it could become good again. It had created "Millionaire" and had lots of popular detective series on that the public lapped up. And there were attempts at comedy shows too. "Emmerdale" is screened on the channel many days and times and I would say probably there is too much of it. "Coronation Street" is more of a classic and perhaps not as damaging to itv. Its lost its image as the nations favourite channel choice and with a bit more imagination could win viewers over very easily.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Someone over on GB pointed out that Saturday's episode of Deal or No Deal aired at the ridiculously early time of 10:05. Following the racing in the afternoon, the channel aired five repeats of Come Dine with Me.

No one watches Deal or no Deal now, Ratings suggest they better off showing something else. I rather have a film then CDWM repeats through.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don't think ITV are doing better on the comedy front at all, three sitcoms, none of which are any good (one of which has been dropped from ITV1), and nothing else, no attempts at panel games or anything like that. Even BBC1's current dreadful comedy slate dwarfs that. I think ITV's comedy line-up is the worst it's ever been, remarkable given Fincham

Which they absolutely ballsed up, of course. The other bits are right, though. The Weather app is ace.

I think they have tried panel shows, but there are so many on BBC1,BBC2 and Channel 4, every possible version has been done, and any ITV version would probably be seen as a rip off. If they do a topical one, its be compared with HIGNFY and people would say its crap and refuse to watch it, even if it aired at a completely different time of year on a completely different day.

A strange opinion that often appears on message boards where people talk as if only one show in each genre is allowed (Often happens with Jonathan Ross, people say it isn't as good as Graham Norton and therefore say it should be axed for only that reason, as if you are only allowed to watch one chat show)

It's a shame Frank Skinner isn't doing his ITV chat show or Unplanned anymore, maybe he doesn't want to though.

Can't quite remember what happened with Prince George, I think was it that they went into a recorded One Show highlights show, when everyone knew the news was imminent, and then crashed into BBC News at the very last moment with no continuity.

ITV News of course stayed on air throughout, pushing Emmerdale back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    Looking back at ITV in 2000 it was very good I would say for all the reasons Steve already mentioned. And if it could regain some of that back by adding drama and comedy into its schedule it could become good again. It had created "Millionaire" and had lots of popular detective series on that the public lapped up. And there were attempts at comedy shows too. "Emmerdale" is screened on the channel many days and times and I would say probably there is too much of it. "Coronation Street" is more of a classic and perhaps not as damaging to itv. Its lost its image as the nations favourite channel choice and with a bit more imagination could win viewers over very easily.

They still had a very substantial chunk of advertising revenue and little commercial competition in 2000, plus the Internet was in its infancy, most only had dial-up. A very different TV landscape.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [highlight]Rather than purely talking about the Commonwealth Games figure, why not have a go on the DS Ratings Prediction Game and see how close you get? How will the events do on Sunday and Friday? Will the soaps be affected?

Just click[/highlight] HERE[highlight], hit reply, delete the quote marks and get predicting.

Thank you in advance to everyone who takes part this week.

:)[/highlight]
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know how 'People Just Do Nothing' fared on BBC Three last night? It had a strong lead in from Family Guy. I watched it on the off chance and thought it was quite funny!
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't think ITV are doing better on the comedy front at all, three sitcoms, none of which are any good (one of which has been dropped from ITV1), and nothing else, no attempts at panel games or anything like that. Even BBC1's current dreadful comedy slate dwarfs that. I think ITV's comedy line-up is the worst it's ever been, remarkable given Fincham spent some twenty years as one of our most distinguished comedy producers. A decade ago it was possible to say ITV's comedy line-up was better than BBC1's, with things like Baddiel and Skinner and TV Burp and The Sketch Show. And they were the kind of shows that appealed to an ITV audience, too, unlike Vicious which should be nowhere near ITV1.

I actually thought Fincham was a good BBC1 controller after he moved Panorama to 8.30 (which was a wholly sensible decision), introduced Sunday Strictly which was a masterstroke and sorted out 7pm with The One Show (because 7pm was an absolute disaster before that arrived, all over the shop). But since he's been on ITV I don't think he's done anything of any value, really, you've got some good shows but some total disasters and there are numerous things that have required surgery for years and haven't been sorted out. How come four years on we're no nearer to getting a replacement for The Bill, for example?

A bit harsh I think. On the comedy front they've got Benidorm and Birds of A Feather which are solid hits. Vicious didn't do well but it's coming back and I don't agree that it should be nowhere near ITV1, it was hardly BBC4 material! The first couple of episodes were extremely ropey and the acting was over the top but I don't think it was a bad show at all and it hit its stride later in the run. I hope the second run does a bit better at least (the Xmas special did a bit better than the series so there's possibly a shot of improvement).

As for there being no attempt at a panel show, that's incorrect as the modern version of Through The Keyhole is exactly that: a comedy panel show. There's no point whatsoever in them doing a topical panel show as BBC1, BBC2 and C4 all do them, and those aside panel shows don't tend to be big hits anyway (the likes of Would I Lie To You and Room 101 don't rate particularly well). Losing TV Burp was a blow but it does at least sound like they're trying to get another vehicle for Harry Hill off the ground.

I think Fincham has done a good job. He's restored the drama reputation of the channel massively. Remember when he joined in 2008, Shaps had axed a load of hits like Foyle's War and Trial and Retribution and all the new commissions like The Palace, Rock Rivals, Honest, Harley Street etc were rubbish and all died on their arses. Fincham has commissioned dramas like Broadchurch and Downton, both of which were pretty risky for them. Of course there's been some disasters too but every channel has disasters (Fincham had several high profile ones at BBC1) and you're remembered for your hits not your flops. When Fincham has left ITV he'll be remembered for commissioning Broadchurch, Downton Abbey, Long Lost Family etc, not for getting low ratings with The Marriage Ref on Saturday nights in the middle of Summer.

I agree there are some real holes in the schedule but for a start he can only work with the budget he's given. The Bill was never meant to be replaced, it was axed to free up the drama budget for 9pm shows (and originally scaled back in 2009 when ITV were cutting budgets). The soaps back on Sundays isn't a bad idea at all but unless you can come up with something good to replace them in the week then what's the point? Sundays aren't a problem area at the moment anyway so I'm not sure they'd see much benefit from it. Plus you'd end up with Corrie against Strictly every week in the Autumn.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anybody know what Murdered By My Boyfriend got on BBC1 last night? I really hope more people caught this repeat.

1.25m (11.3%)

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    patrick95 wrote: »
    Any idea how the premier of HUGO did last night on Channel 4? I imagine it probably rounded off a very solid night for them ...

966k (5.7%)

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And one, for Steve, this is what ITV had in July 2006:

- Sat 15/07 - Pokerface: 3.2m (20%)
    - Sun 16/07 - Pokerface: 6.1m (30%) / Where the Heart Is: 4.4m (19%)
    - Mon 17/07 - Driving Mum and Dad Mad: 2.9m (14%)
    - Tue 18/07 - The Bill: 3.4m (18%) / Bad Lads Army: 3.3m (16%)
    - Wed 19/07 - The Bill: 5.2m (28%) / Jane Hall: 3.7m (18%)
    - Thu 20/07 - The Bill: 4.2m (23%) / Bad Girls: 4.5m (22%)
    - Fri 21/07 - Taggart (20:30): 3.7m (21%)

...which is substantially better than 2014, purely because of The Bill.
This discussion has been closed.