Options

What magazines do you buy to read on holiday.

Comments

• Options
    DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I'm going on a stag-do: FHM, for the plane journey.

hey they still sell Razzle and Mayfair at the airport. Would of thought FHM wad a bit tame for a stag do?;-)
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always read magazines on the flight, usually rubbishy ones like Closer or Now. I just want something light and frothy that I can flick through and leave behind.
    One of the holiday airlines (Thomas Cook I think) sells OK on board and I often buy that on the flight home, again just to pass time
  • Options
    DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No sunbathing then? No sitting down with a glass of wine and relaxing?

sunbathing and reading magazines are not always a great combination. As the print reacts with the sun tan cream and can start coming off everywhere on your body and the text can get smudged too. ;-)
  • Options
    The Travelling ManThe Travelling Man Posts: 47,383
    Forum Member
    Usually a film magazine and a puzzle book.
  • Options
    Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rarely read magazines although the op reminded me that oh would occasionally buy New Scientist and Focus.

I always think there's too little reading in a magazine for the money and prefer books. I always take a couple of novels away with me and if I'm lucky enough to get wifi when away I'll read DS and BBC news online too.

Tbh I don't read that much when away. We're usually out all day doing stuff - biking, canoeing, up a mountain, visiting tourist attractions so then when I do get in and sit down I'm lucky to have read a paragraph before I nod off.

I do like a bit of Take a Break in waiting rooms but they are being increasingly replaced with big glossies. I miss the heavily tattooed women who have trouble hanging onto their men and their teeth. They make me feel good about myself. Comforting when I'm about to discuss bowel stuff with the Dr.
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    ^^ but something to read is nice, when say waiting for the other half to get ready, I go sit on the terrace or balcony and have a little read. Or if you wake up at "stupid o'clock" in the morning, just pop onto the balcony or read in bed, until you can wake the wife up.

Exactly. I wake up stupidly early so I like to read on the balcony, I also like a read before dropping off to sleep. I read round the pool and on the beach. I don't take magazines though. Just my kindle. I can't understand people saying it's wierd.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,058
    Forum Member
    swaydog wrote: »
    Yes, in a pub or restaurant.
    The rest of the time I'm checking out the place I'm visiting.

Sounds like your holidays are very different to mine.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    ^^ Kindle for the win, it's just so convenient. Just started reading Game of Thrones, so thats my reading taken care of for the next few months.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    No sunbathing then? No sitting down with a glass of wine and relaxing?

Sunbathing bores me, I like to sit by the pool and relax, eat new foods, see the country I am in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The people I replied to suggested that going on holiday to read was weird. Personally I don't see the difference between books and magazines in this situation.

Like I said, when I'm abroad, I have spent thousands getting there and I'm damned if I am wasting my time reading! I love to go out and see and feel the local culture, visit different parts of the island or country I am in. Other people like too relax and read. That's fine, I just wouldn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^^ and I agree, sunbathing must be the most pointless way to spend your money. But I do like an afternoon by the pool, or as I said when waiting on wife, or a quick read before be etc.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,058
    Forum Member
    ^^ and I agree, sunbathing must be the most pointless way to spend your money. But I do like an afternoon by the pool, or as I said when waiting on wife, or a quick read before be etc.

I think when you live in a country where you can go whole weeks without seeing the sun then sunbathing is pretty worthwhile myself.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Yes but why magazines? I read books a lot at home and on holiday and wouldn't ever buy a magazine. Sorry have I got the wrong end of the stick again?

I think the main point is magazines are a) light b) easy to dispose of and c) something to pass the time (you tend to have a lot of time when on holiday?).

I always buy magazines when I go away - never have the time to read them here. I buy all the trash I can find - Take A Break, That's Life etc and read them round the pool.
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Like I said, when I'm abroad, I have spent thousands getting there and I'm damned if I am wasting my time reading! I love to go out and see and feel the local culture, visit different parts of the island or country I am in. Other people like too relax and read. That's fine, I just wouldn't.

I like a bit of both. Sometimes it's nice to laze around on a beach, taking a dip in the sea, read my book, soak up the sun and atmosphere but after about three days I've had enough and want to explore.
  • Options
    Jasper92Jasper92 Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like a bit of both. Sometimes it's nice to laze around on a beach, taking a dip in the sea, read my book, soak up the sun and atmosphere but after about three days I've had enough and want to explore.

Precisely this. Why must life be one extreme or another? Compromise means you get the most out of your time away :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think when you live in a country where you can go whole weeks without seeing the sun then sunbathing is pretty worthwhile myself.

I see no point personally. I get as much sun walking about than I do if I sunbathed. I lice in Scotland where we can see weeks without sun and I still don't do it on holiday!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^^ Thats the way I look at it, you get a better tan and less chance of sun burn, just walking around etc, but a nice morning or afternoon by the pool is nice too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^^ Thats the way I look at it, you get a better tan and less chance of sun burn, just walking around etc, but a nice morning or afternoon by the pool is nice too.

Agreed. We do that as well and sometimes have lunch by the pool.

Ahhh....cant wait till next holiday in September to do it all again!!! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^^ Me too! Gulf Coast of Florida for me
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^^ Me too! Gulf Coast of Florida for me

Nice! Back to Kefalonia for us! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Which resort? We've been before and going back next year :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Which resort? We've been before and going back next year :)

Agia Efimia. This will be our third time. Went out last September, then back for 2 weeks last month. Absolutely love it. Spend a lot of time in Fiskardo and Sami as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agia Efimia. This will be our third time. Went out last September, then back for 2 weeks last month. Absolutely love it. Spend a lot of time in Fiskardo and Sami as well.

Opposite end to us. Were going to Lourdas
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I completely understand your point about absorbing local culture but Kefalonia (as beautiful and as stunning as the place is) is hardly Rome. There isn't that much to see :confused:

Surely you have a bit of down time? You can't be on the go all day everyday?

I say this as a massive fan of the Island by the way.

It's a wee bit "reverse snobbery" in my eyes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I completely understand your point about absorbing local culture but Kefalonia (as beautiful and as stunning as the place is) is hardly Rome. There isn't that much to see :confused:

Surely you have a bit of down time? You can't be on the go all day everyday?

I say this as a massive fan of the Island by the way.

It's a wee bit "reverse snobbery" in my eyes.

Yeah we do. But we have a lot of friends over there so we spend a lot of time with them out to lunch, out for the day somewhere etc. I have to say the only reading I've done on holiday was this forum when the Mrs fell asleep one night and I wasnt tired! Only did that once!