Options

The Leona Lewis Appreciation Thread (Part 56)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gelbma0991 wrote: »
    If anyone wants to hear Leona singing the 'final' version of Burn it's up here with the Greg Kirstin production:D (and in the right key this time lol)

http://benjamingell.tumblr.com/post/92621977432/leona-lewis-burn-2nd-version-prod-greg

fan-made?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    luissp95 wrote: »
    fan-made?

LOL is fan-made... It is almost like to the previous version.
  • Options
    Bubble_BeamBubble_Beam Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soeplepel wrote: »
    New video of the prayer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDpM4Tuge4A
    You can see her on the screen for the whole performance, she sounds so good damn

still amazed by her performance :D
    but what's with that vibrato at 2:17 is she always singing her vibrato like that?
    it sounds forced somehow although her performance of run at x factor she did the same thing with her tongue but i sounded softer...
    i wonder whether it comes naturally or does she kinda force it? :confused:
  • Options
    SoeplepelSoeplepel Posts: 24,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but what's with that vibrato at 2:17 is she always singing her vibrato like that?
    it sounds forced somehow although her performance of run at x factor she did the same thing with her tongue.

The mouth shaking is because she's resonating. Normally you shouldn't be shaking yuor mouth but it's a habit to alot of singers. I also have it, it's not forced though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you mean her tongue?
  • Options
    EnvoirmentEnvoirment Posts: 9,486
    Forum Member
    it sounds forced somehow although her performance of run at x factor she did the same thing with her tongue but i sounded softer...

It sounds a lot better in that new video compared to others. It was actually good, she had a stable vibrato throughout the note, but the reason it sounded not as soft is because she was going for a bit of power to keep up with Joseph (well, she was generally holding back to be respectful to him, although he is a good vocalist too!). You can hear her vibrato in the other lower belts and it sounds softer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you mean her tongue?

Yeah if you shake your mouth your tongue will shake too. During the XF Sharon told her to stop doing it :p She called it the "Christina shaky lips thing" :D

She does this alot
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh ah i didnt know i thought she only shakes her tongue and puts her mouth stable :D

but we can all agree that she's a technical singer and knows what she's doing :D
  • Options
    d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    If anyone wants to hear Leona singing the 'final' version of Burn it's up here with the Greg Kirstin production:D (and in the right key this time lol)

http://benjamingell.tumblr.com/post/92621977432/leona-lewis-burn-2nd-version-prod-greg

Oh my god, I love it.
  • Options
    geraldbaezgeraldbaez Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Lol it's called "jaw vibrato." Whitney Houston did this a lot too. It's definitely a habit because you don't need to shake your jaw/tongue to produce vibrato. But it's definitely not forced. If it were forced, you'd be able to hear it.

What you can hear is a lot of power in her voice. I can't wait for the new era to start! :D

BTW does anyone know if Leona is still working with Brett Manning? This guy is just f-ing amazing. One of the best vocal coaches in the world, next to Seth Riggs.
  • Options
    volume3dvolume3d Posts: 846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nicki's part on new Jessie J's single sounds AMAZING ! Lets hope Leona can work with Nicki for this album

http://instagram.com/p/qzQSC9L8bK/
  • Options
    gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    luissp95 wrote: »
    fan-made?

Yeah I did it this morning, the one before was in the same key as Ellie's so they had pitch-shifted Leona's voice and it sounded like a chipmunk aha. I just altered Ellie's to be in the right key as Leona's so it sounded right. :)
  • Options
    d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    volume3d wrote: »
    Nicki's part on new Jessie J's single sounds AMAZING ! Lets hope Leona can work with Nicki for this album

http://instagram.com/p/qzQSC9L8bK/

I swear that song is going to smash. Clever idea from Jessie after how her last album did. Yeah, you could say it's a bit desperate but the songs gonna get ATTENTION because of the collaborations alone.

I want Leona to work with Nicki too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get the love for Nicki tbh :p
  • Options
    AdamBunny10AdamBunny10 Posts: 3,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like some of Nicki's stuff, not a huge fan but she obviously would bring lots of attention to Leona if they did a duet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 93
    Forum Member

Really nice! :D
  • Options
    Jack_Clarke2Jack_Clarke2 Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know how her Collaboration did chart/sales wise with the Japanese singer? :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spirit Deluxe is 3.99 pounds on iTunes UK and is at #159
  • Options
    MikePJBMikePJB Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    Anyone heard this, says Leona Lewis demo ??
  • Options
    EnvoirmentEnvoirment Posts: 9,486
    Forum Member
    Omg, I can't get Leona's parts of "The Prayer" out of my head. Been singing them in my head all day (in her voice) and also doing hte (It's happening to MEEEEE) bit in AMLT. lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MikePJB wrote: »

I love this actually, sounds good. Wouldn't mind her recording this

---

Thunder added to ascap!! :D
    It's a song written with Tobias Gad and Leona! :D
  • Options
    siwelanoelsiwelanoel Posts: 1,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Tough Love (Sango Remix) would be right up Leona's alley (for the album sound, not necessarily the lead single). I think Leona would sound best mixing R&B/Pop with elements of electro/urban. On paper this kind of sounds like what she was going for with "Glassheart," but it's a little different.
  • Options
    esesohsamesesohsam Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The tongue shaking is just a bit of tongue root tension, it's something to try and eliminate when singing but a lot of people do have it. It's caused by a number of things, such as accents or stress. If your tongue tends to rest on the roof of your mouth when you're not doing anything, that's a sign of tension. As for the vibrato, I agree, it sounds a bit shrill. I don't think it's forced, though.
  • Options
    Luuk LewisLuuk Lewis Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MikePJB wrote: »

There's just one lyric in that song that makes me wonder if it's really a demo for Leona. Would she sing 'God Bless America'? I mean, she could, or she could change the lyrics. Like the song though.
  • Options
    geraldbaezgeraldbaez Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    esesohsam wrote: »
    The tongue shaking is just a bit of tongue root tension, it's something to try and eliminate when singing but a lot of people do have it. It's caused by a number of things, such as accents or stress. If your tongue tends to rest on the roof of your mouth when you're not doing anything, that's a sign of tension. As for the vibrato, I agree, it sounds a bit shrill. I don't think it's forced, though.

I kinda agree. Although her voice sounds very free - there might be a bit of tension. Employing your tongue or jaw to create vibrato creates this unnecessary tension. All it really is, is a habit. Her vibrato can get fast at times. But most of the time her vibrato is on point - very operatic - very mesmerizing.

Google "jaw vibrato" to all those interested. That'll give you some insight into what I'm talking about, if this sounds a bit strange haha. :)
This discussion has been closed.