Options

Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 shot down near Ukraine-Russia border

Comments

• Options
    BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    Noting something grotesque.
    Putins daughter Maria lives in the Netherlands and has faced calls for expulsion, plus a planned march outside her flat. Hostility her father avoids.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/23/mh17-dutch-mayor-vladimir-putin-daughter-deport
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bungitin wrote: »
    Putins daughter Maria lives in the Netherlands and has faced calls for expulsion, plus a planned march outside her flat. Hostility her father avoids.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/23/mh17-dutch-mayor-vladimir-putin-daughter-deport
    Blimey.......how ironic is that!? :o
  • Options
    Seth1Seth1 Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bungitin wrote: »

Probably because Holland spends 51 billion a year on exports from Russia and he could pull the plug if they lay a finger on her.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 118,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    Respect goes to the Dutch for their professionalism. A touching event.

Absolutely.

What a very moving event it was.
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...and now breaking news that Algeria has lost contact with a plane flying from Burkino Faso.

There certainly seems to be a spate of air disasters (if that is what is happening in this instance) albeit apparently for different reasons.
  • Options
    Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    ...and now breaking news that Algeria has lost contact with a plane flying from Burkino Faso.

There certainly seems to be a spate of air disasters (if that is what is happening in this instance) albeit apparently for different reasons.

Reuters;
    Breaking News: Spain's Swiftair says contact lost with Airbus A320 plane which was expected to land in Algiers; 110 passengers, six crew members on board
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    MH17 crash: More bodies to leave Ukraine for Netherlands
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-28457737
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snukr wrote: »
    Nonsense it was so they could steal from the victims and tamper with the evidence.

How can you say with certainty that that was the case? :confused:

Awkward situation which they can't win either way, imho - either leave the site as is and face criticism for possible bodies (and a very, very slim chance of there being a survivor(s)) being left for God knows how long or make an effort looking for bodies (again, and a very, very slim chance of there being a survivor(s)) and thus disturbing evidence.

In my heart of hearts I'd like to think they were checking for bodies as I hate to think that every single person near / around that site has bad intentions.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reuters;
    Breaking News: Spain's Swiftair says contact lost with Airbus A320 plane which was expected to land in Algiers; 110 passengers, six crew members on board

Worrying. - 3 in such a short time. :(
  • Options
    TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    How can you say with certainty that that was the case? :confused:

Awkward situation which they can't win either way, imho - either leave the site as is and face criticism for possible bodies (and a very, very slim chance of there being a survivor(s)) being left for God knows how long or make an effort looking for bodies (again, and a very, very slim chance of there being a survivor(s)) and thus disturbing evidence.

In my heart of hearts I'd like to think they were checking for bodies as I hate to think that every single person near / around that site has bad intentions.

Latest news is that victims' credit cards are being used. Albeit the Mail.
  • Options
    OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    BBC/CNN freelance journalist abducted by pro-Russians in Ukraine, horrible :(
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC/CNN freelance journalist abducted by pro-Russians in Ukraine, horrible :(
    British Russia Today journalist Graham Philips abducted two days ago by Ukraine forces :(

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2702649/British-journalist-reported-missing-Donetsk-covering-battles.html

http://rt.com/news/174924-ukraine-stringer-phillips-disappearance/
  • Options
    Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »

Just heard this news over the radio what the hell is going on with planes lately there disappearing and never found or getting shot out of the sky
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Two Dutch Military Planes Carrying Victims From The Malaysia Plane Crash Land In The Netherlands'

Oh dear, they could have worded that better :/
  • Options
    curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Russian ambassador to the UK has just made a statement & given a press conference over the MH17.

He seems to be in that river in Egypt ! Still won't even accept the possibility that MH17 was shot down by a missile & that Russia could have had anything to do with it even inadvertently :o

He's obviously been told by Putin to give us the alternative view !
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rick_Davis wrote: »
    Hitting a passenger aircraft at 33K ft is not an act of war, its an international terrorist attack.

Indeed it is, unless of course it's the USA doing the shooting down and the passenger plane belongs to Iran,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655
    Iran Air Flight 655 was an Iran Air civilian passenger flight from Tehran to Dubai that was shot down by the United States Navy guided missile cruiser USS Vincennes on 3 July 1988. The incident took place in Iranian airspace, over Iran's territorial waters in the Persian Gulf, and on the flight's usual flight path. The aircraft, an Airbus A300 B2-203, was destroyed by SM-2MR surface-to-air missiles fired from the Vincennes.
    All 290 on board, including 66 children and 16 crew, died

According to the documents submitted to the International Court of Justice by Iran, the aircraft was carrying 290 people: 274 passengers and a crew of 16. Of these 290, 254 were Iranian, 13 were Emiratis, 10 were Indian, 6 were Pakistanis, 6 were of Yugoslavia and 1 was an Italian

The event triggered an intense international controversy, with Iran condemning the U.S. attack. In mid-July 1988, Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Velayati asked the United Nations Security Council to condemn the United States saying the U.S. attack "could not have been a mistake" and was a "criminal act", an "atrocity" and a "massacre"

the United States never released an apology or acknowledgment of wrongdoing.[George H. W. Bush, the vice president of the United States at the time commented on the incident during a presidential campaign function (2 Aug 1988): "I will never apologize for the United States — I don't care what the facts are... I'm not an apologize-for-America kind of guy.

Just remember that last part when you hear US politicians demanding that Putin does as they ask, or you hear people calling the Russians names,

I am NOT for one second defending those that murdered all those innocent people, just pointing out that some of us have a memory and that the USA are bloody hypocrites.
  • Options
    njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    The Russian ambassador to the UK has just made a statement & given a press conference over the MH17.

He seems to be in that river in Egypt ! Still won't even accept the possibility that MH17 was shot down by a missile & that Russia could have had anything to do with it even inadvertently :o

He's obviously been told by Putin to give us the alternative view !
    Conspiracy theories regarding MH17 are standard fair in the Russian media, and given that Putin himself is seriously delusional and has a propensity for bumping off his opponents, I can see why.
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vinba wrote: »
    The gross hypocrisy is staggering and also being overdone.

People aren't stupid...

Where was the international outrage when drones and air strikes took out civilians and wedding parties in Afghanistan?

Where's Kerry's outrage over civilians being killed in Gaza?

Civilian Killed in Gaza = Unfortunate victim of war.
    Civilian killed over Ukraine = Murder Victim of Putin.

It's as if the 'Great Game' has moved from Afghanistan to the fields of the Ukraine..

So glad it's not just me that sees it, I feel sorry for ALL innocent victims of conflicts all over the world, no matter where they are from, I don't care what religion they follow or what their politics are or the colour of their skin,
    If Cameron and Kerry had been as 'outraged' over the innocents being slaughtered in Gaza or Afghanistan I might have at least a bit of respect for them,
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    njp wrote: »
    Conspiracy theories regarding MH17 are standard fair in the Russian media, and given that Putin himself is seriously delusional and has a propensity for bumping off his opponents, I can see why.

He said no one knows the truth until a proper investigation has been carried out. Well that won't be easy, as the Russian backed separatists have allegedly being taking parts of the plane away & still won't allow full access to the crash site !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alexander Borodai, PM of the Donetsk People's Republic has said (to CNN & BBC) that they were told by the OSCE representatives not to touch the bodies, hence why they were left in fields for days decomposing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    Alexander Borodai, PM of the Donetsk People's Republic has said (to CNN & BBC) that they were told by the OSCE representatives not to touch the bodies, hence why they were left in fields for days decomposing.

I don't know whether that's true or not, but they could at least have covered them with sheets or something out of respect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know whether that's true or not, but they could at least have covered them with sheets or something out of respect.
    They were told not to touch them at all until official investigators turned up. I believe them on this, as most Russians are pretty religious & wouldn't have wanted them out like that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    They were told not to touch them at all until official investigators turned up. I believe them on this, as most Russians are pretty religious & wouldn't have wanted them out like that.

You're probably right, but covering them doesn't equate to moving them & it was a pity the Separatists prevented anyone getting near the crash site for three days. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're probably right, but covering them doesn't equate to moving them & it was a pity the Separatists prevented anyone getting near the crash site for three days. :(

I think if they'd been covered, the world would be going spare over them doing yet more to destroy a crime scene.