Options

The One Show

Comments

• Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    She was on Woman's House this morning then Vine's programme. She has been on so many programmes that you might think she has a book to sell. :)
    A book is the least of it.

She is selling herself as the one to win the Presidency Of The United States on 8th November 2016 and become the first woman to lead America by taking the oath of office on 20th January 2017 succeeding Obama.

The best part of the biography of Hilary Rodham Clinton is yet to come, she hopes.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there anyone out there that doesn't think this show has passed its expiry date?

It has all the attraction of a late 70's Radio One roadshow. Only not quite as intellectually challenging.
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    Is there anyone out there that doesn't think this show has passed its expiry date?

It has all the attraction of a late 70's Radio One roadshow. Only not quite as intellectual.

Me and four million viewers.

Often after news and soaps it's BBC1s highest rated show.

I have found the reports tonight very interesting.

So in view of your comments why are you watching it?
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great song doesn't sound so great anymore.

Makes me feel old.

Jim Kerr doesn't seem to have it anymore
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »

Makes me feel old.

Happens to all in the end...
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I watched last night and for a One Show live outside broadcast it all went smoothly.

I was expecting a cock-up somewhere during the show :D
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »

I watch it because invariably it's on when I'm cooking. I can keep half an eye on it and tune in and tune out when I want to. Occasionally something interesting comes along but not very often. JMO, obviously.

The four million (I make it three and a half) viewers isn't really significant , I think you'll get that much on BBC1 at this time of night for any star-fronted current affairs / chatshow program.

It just seems to me that it's become so formulaic, so predictable. And its primary role has slowly changed from being a "viewers digest" type program into out-and-out PR, banner-waving for the BBC.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Often after news and soaps it's BBC1s highest rated show.

There are nearly always interesting reports, often on topics not covered elsewhere. Not all reports interest me but that is the nature of a magazine programme or even a magazine.

I am never quite sure what people want, many here seem to watch every night even though they do not like it then complain about the content without actually saying what they want to replace it with.

It's a live programme so things go wrong from time to time.

They interact with viewers in various ways which is rare on TV now, most on ITV are only interested in making money out of viewers with competitions.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »

Makes me feel old.

At least Lulu didn't sing. Although she and Jim Kerr seemed to be talking to each other through half the program, ignoring what was going on.

Nicola Benedetti was a fine guest the other night. Lettice who ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are nearly always interesting reports, often on topics not covered elsewhere. Not all reports interest me but that is the nature of a magazine programme or even a magazine.

I am never quite sure what people want, many here seem to watch every night even though they do not like it then complain about the content without actually saying what they want to replace it with.

They interact with viewers in various ways which is rare on TV now, most on ITV are only interested in making money out of viewers with competitions.

Agree,

There seems to be a tiny minority who like to complain about the One Show but as you say there are interesting articles good education, on topics, consumer etc, it seems the few think it's the in thing to moan on it, but it's far far interesting and the ITV soap fest.

These few seem to try to extract any little issue such as a camera wobble or a stubborn guest, it's live TV it's never perfect.

TOS is as said often is the most watched show one BBC1 outside news and soaps, it has a loyal following and a great alternative to Emmerdale.
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree. For that reason, it's one of the least predictable programs on TV IMO.

I couldn't give two sh*ts about the Commonwealth Games though, so I'm giving The One Show a miss until Thursday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. For that reason, it's one of the least predictable programs on TV IMO.

I couldn't give two sh*ts about the Commonwealth Games though, so I'm giving The One Show a miss until Thursday.

Its not on while the Commonwealth games is on. Even Eastenders has been shunted to BBC 2. Wall to wall coverage on BBC1, day and night.
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    It only gets that amount of viewing figures becuase there's literally sweet f all on other channels at that time.

Mind you theres sweet f-all on TV nowadays anyway.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,720
    Forum Member
    gold2040 wrote: »
    Yes. And? It's called a format. They stick to it 'cos it works. It's probably not perfect; but then it's also live.
    There you go, using "feast or famine" as the only alternatives, don't you just love DS?
    I thought you said you never used this phrase last time I mentioned it?
    David Tee wrote: »
    How about the millions of people who watch it who also pay their Licence Fee?
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    The song was dodgy. They've had sound problems both nights and at that concert the other day.

Lulu still looks good. Not sure what she's had done, if anything, but for 65 not to shabby.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who Ann Thomas seems to be on a lot as a roving reporter.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it really is the pits
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great and interesting show tonight,

It's so good, even the people who do not watch it clearly can't keep away from watching it and commenting!

You would think the people who regularly post insults wouldn't watch anymore but they do!
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,720
    Forum Member
    You would think the people who regularly post insults wouldn't watch anymore but they do!
    Indeed. I have often commented as much. Makes me smile though :)
  • Options
    tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great and interesting show tonight,

It's so good, even the people who do not watch it clearly can't keep away from watching it and commenting!

Brilliant show last night with brilliant guests and such professional hosts;-)
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    late8 wrote: »
    It only gets that amount of viewing figures becuase there's literally sweet f all on other channels at that time.

Mind you theres sweet f-all on TV nowadays anyway.

It only gets good ratings because there is nothing else on at the time? What about Emmerdale, one of the most watched programmes on British television!?! It goes head to head with that every day, and still delivers good ratings.

Personally I don’t like Emmerdale so The One Show is something to put on at a time when I’m not likely to sit down and properly watch something. I suspect this is the key to it’s success – an alternative to Emmerdale and something you only have to half watch, perfect for most households at 7pm on a weekday.

I’m not a huge fan of The One Show, personally I’d like to maybe see a nightly comedy chat show maybe, but I can completely understand why BBC One stand behind it all the way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    I’m not a huge fan of The One Show, personally I’d like to maybe see a nightly comedy chat show maybe, but I can completely understand why BBC One stand behind it all the way.

What a horrible thought when you think of the 'comedians' likely to do the programme and how unfunny most 'comedians' are on chat shows.
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a horrible thought when you think of the 'comedians' likely to do the programme and how unfunny most 'comedians' are on chat shows.

I don't know, i'd like to see it attempted. But I admit, making a comedy talk show 5 times a week, even for just 30 minutes, would be a challenge. And finding the right host would be critical.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoEntry2k wrote: »
    I don't know, i'd like to see it attempted. But I admit, making a comedy talk show 5 times a week, even for just 30 minutes, would be a challenge. And finding the right host would be critical.

I can't imagine who would do it and who would be guests (presumably other 'comedians'). Not that many who can be trusted to appear in a family show and few funny ones anyway.
  • Options
    BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't imagine who would do it and who would be guests (presumably other 'comedians'). Not that many who can be trusted to appear in a family show and few funny ones anyway.

Youre right....and some mightn't be able to hack live tv I guess. The pre-watershed time would cut the 'near the knuckle' ones out of the equation. Some of the others aren't naturally funny being themselves ie Steve Coogan, whose work Ive loved since The Day Today but hes usually a bit of a boring pain in the derriere as himself. What are we left with...not much really alas.