Options

BBC1 8-11pm: Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony Glasgow 2014

Comments

• Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,553
    Forum Member
    Stunty wrote: »
    A few moments which seemed rather bizarre .....

I started watching the proceedings when this rather odd Scotish lady seemed to be having some kind of rant. Presume that was Karen Dunbar who I had never heard of before.

Constantly 'throwing' the production to somewhere in the Commonwealth, like Sachin Tendulkar, which just a recorded piece.

Certain 'celebrities' begging for donations, which they put across as being something which has 'never been done before'. :confused:

All the Scotty Dogs ....... were there 71 of them or did just a few of them just keep going round and round. Some of them had to be carried, suppose they refused to walk in protest!

James McAvoy reading the word 'screen' as 'scene' when trying to get everyone to text a donation.

A man from the Royal Ballet sprinting into the arena dressed in a kilt and big hobnail boots, then performing a dance with a young lady.

Sir Chris Hoy seemingly to be everywhere.

The Queen's limousine 'bouncing' into Celtic Park ....... I think Prince Philip thought he was on some sort of fairground ride!!

A man shouting at us in an aggressive manner ...... he was just welcoming us to the Games! :o

The final humiliation, they couldn't open the baton to get the message out, The Queen looked on willing them to get on with it, then punched the air when they eventually got at the scroll. She is the ultimate 'performer', remains serene and unruffled, then just takes everything in her stride and as usual delivered her lines perfectly ...... thank goodness she turned up for a bit of sanity in the whole thing!!

You forgot the dancing Tunnock Tea cakes :o
  • Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see Mo has pulled out. Probably made his decision after watching the OC :)
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has John Barrowman EVER appeared on tv "without" a gay agenda.
  • Options
    StuntyStunty Posts: 45,703
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    You forgot the dancing Tunnock Tea cakes :o

I only started watching from when Karen Dunbar was just finishing her rant, so I missed Subo and John Barrowman emerging from the big kilt.

I was listening to it on the radio in the car before that, they seemed to be getting awffully excited, imagine my disappointment when I got home and put he tv on!

I think I spared myself more agony by missing the start!! ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pete137 wrote: »

Sometimes, but Sir Ian McKellen is worse. Considering that they have always wanted it to be mainstream and not unusual, they make a hell of a big job of making it a big deal.:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member

He must have known prior to this that he would not be competing.

People who bought tickets thinking they would be seeing him only to find out he won't be running.:(
  • Options
    Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish one of the dogs had curled one out. It would have been very fitting.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pedrok wrote: »
    Why would The Proclaimers, who are from Fife, be at either the opening or closing ceremony?

Did you actually type that out loud :confused::o
    II'll reverse it for you.... Why would The Proclaimers, who are from Fife (that's in Scotland by the way) NOT be at either the opening or closing ceremony??
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »

Yup. In Arrow.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Stunty wrote: »
    I only started watching from when Karen Dunbar was just finishing her rant, so I missed Subo and John Barrowman emerging from the big kilt.

I was listening to it on the radio in the car before that, they seemed to be getting awffully excited, imagine my disappointment when I got home and put he tv on!

I think I spared myself more agony by missing the start!! ;-)

Try watching it on Youtube or iPlayer. Honestly, the opening 15 minutes was one of most staggeringly inept and embarrassing things I've ever seen on TV. It has to be seen to be believed.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Ok it was lacklustre, but I'm not sure whether that adds to the charm of it being the 'friendly games' or whether it was a bit of a wet fart.

The whole performance bit was naff, except for Nessie which I liked.
    I liked the idea of them doing a geographical journey around Scotland, but the song was too quick to make any sense of the words.

I know it was meant to be about real people, featuring actual Glaswegians but come on, was Rod Stuart, John Barrowman and mad kilt lady the best they could manage?

I appreciate it could never have been as big as the Olympics.... and probably rightly so... I'm in two minds.
    My wicked side loved the faff with the baton thing, especially with the Queen looking on as they struggled to open it.
  • Options
    GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,495
    Forum Member
    Mr_Eye wrote: »
    I wish one of the dogs had curled one out. It would have been very fitting.

On the radio this morning, someone was saying that at the rehearsal, they were COOing like nobody's business. I'm guessing the local dog parlour's colonic irrigation machine was very busy yesterday. :kitty:
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    ... I was however impressed by the number of fat people who managed to keep dancing quite energetically during the whole 'parade of the nations' part.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've not actually read any reviews of it but apparently according to the radio its been given universal praise from the media! lol I can only assume this is because they don't want to upset the Scots incase they vote for independence if everyone had come out to say it was crap!
  • Options
    pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    Did you actually type that out loud :confused::o
    II'll reverse it for you.... Why would The Proclaimers, who are from Fife (that's in Scotland by the way) NOT be at either the opening or closing ceremony??

No. I can type without the need to spell the words out to myself. Can you?

There is absolutely no reason why they shouldn't be there. There is absolutely no reason why any Scottish musician who has ever had any sort of chart hit shouldn't be there. That is not the question I asked.

I asked why the Proclaimers, who are not known as particularly Glasgow orientated musicians, be expected to be there?
  • Options
    lavender50lavender50 Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

lol:)
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has the opening ceremony finished yet??? <yawn> #boredtodeath
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pedrok wrote: »
    No. I can type without the need to spell the words out to myself. Can you?

There is absolutely no reason why they shouldn't be there. There is absolutely no reason why any Scottish musician who has ever had any sort of chart hit shouldn't be there. That is not the question I asked.

I asked why the Proclaimers, who are not known as particularly Glasgow orientated musicians, be expected to be there?

I was just grateful they did not appear, very overrated, but I don't see why they could not have done if someone born in London and living in LA could appear especially when he has an even worse singing voice than they do.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    habby wrote: »
    Has the opening ceremony finished yet??? <yawn> #boredtodeath

They're still trying to put the lid back on the baton. :D
  • Options
    BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    They're still trying to put the lid back on the baton. :D

One should have taken one's toothpaste opener with one
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because they are Scottish and their songs are real crowd pleasers.

rod isn't Scottish
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rod has strong Glasgow connections.

Overall, I liked it. The beginning bit was naff and trashy, but it looked like they decided that it would be impossible to cover the heritage without risking going all shortbread tin, so decided to embrace it. The basic concept was good IMO, but it went on a bit too long, was a bit too confusing. They should have cut it by a few minutes, and Karen Dunbar wasn't right for it. Someone like Elaine C Smith would have been better. She's funny, she can sing, and she's a familiar face beyond Scotland.

I understand why they wanted to do the gay kiss, but it was the wrong thing at the wrong time. There are a lot of Commonwealth countries with bad records on gay issues, but Scotland wasn't the first to bring in gay marriage or anything, so didn't fit with the story and confused everyone. There are a lot of other issues going on in the world.

I can't believe they couldn't stick to time a bit better. Was it really necessary to wait for everyone else to sit down before the Scotland team came in? A nod to Malaysia was fine, but a whole minute's silence felt indulgent and out of place. Did they have to give Wee Eck something to do, and they thought no-one would dare boo him on this subject?

I did have a good old LOL as SUBO going out of time. She seems incapable of singing in time, and didn't let us down on that one. :D

Double LOL at the baton not opening.:D:D
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    rod isn't Scottish

I was talking about the Proclaimers not Rod Stewart.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was talking about the Proclaimers not Rod Stewart.

i know
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One should have taken one's toothpaste opener with one

She left him at Buckingham Palace.