Options

Dora Bryan dies aged 91

2»

Comments

• Options
    scorerscorer Posts: 5,004
    Forum Member
    Very sad.

She was also in the very first "Carry On" film - "Carry On Sergeant" along with Bill Owen.

They later appeared along side each other during Bills final few episodes of LOTSW.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mate Roy who lives in Southend has known Dora for many years and often popped in to keep her company at the care home where she spent her final years. She was still performing on and off and did a one-woman show at the Cliffs Pavillion a few years ago, but she was somewhat confused in the second half, poor old girl.
    I thought she was terrific in the kitchen-sink films of the 60's (Taste of Honey probably the best) but I never much liked her comedy performances apart from the one in Dinner Ladies which was brilliant.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    dave - the mirror article has a link to it - see the very first post in this thread.

Brilliant, very funny. Thanks for the pointer.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She also did a good cameo in Ab Fab, with the evergreen June Whitfield.
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "You can be bare arsed in seconds!"

She was brilliant in Dinnerladies. She's also one of the last parents in that episodes to pass away- Eric Sykes, Thora Hird and Elspet Gray (who played Phillipa's mum) have all already died.

Ha, that phrase still cracks me up. Genius line and couldn't have been delivered better.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lovely lady who brought us a lot of laughs , RIP Dora.
  • Options
    hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved her in The Great St Trinians Train Robbery.

Dora: "We will be playing strip the willow".

Schoolgirl: "I'm not playing"

Dora: "Be quiet Willow Metcalfe"..
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hatpeg wrote: »
    Loved her in The Great St Trinians Train Robbery.

Dora: "We will be playing strip the willow".

Schoolgirl: "I'm not playing"

Dora: "Be quiet Willow Metcalfe"..

Yes she was brilliant in that, her voice was just fantastically suited to the roles she played. I liked her in On The Up as well but she only did the first series
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    Same here! I was reading up about her on Saturday, it's happened to me quite a few times sadly :(

I loved Dora's cameo in dinnerladies as Jean's (Anne Reid's) mother. 'Oh come on Jean put some elbow grease into it, the same as sex!' :D

91 is a marvellous age and she leaves behind a fantastic body of film and television roles.

Victoria Wood had her as Anne Reid's mum on a sketch on As Seen On TV where Anne was going through a dating agency to meet someone. "She hasn't always been in a wheelchair. She was a very active nymphomaniac for many years buy eventually, something snapped...She's still very voracious to this day. I mean, it's not nice, is it? Someone kerbcrawling in an invalid car."
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    stig25 wrote: »
    Victoria Wood had her as Anne Reid's mum on a sketch on As Seen On TV where Anne was going through a dating agency to meet someone. "She hasn't always been in a wheelchair. She was a very active nymphomaniac for many years buy eventually, something snapped...She's still very voracious to this day. I mean, it's not nice, is it? Someone kerbcrawling in an invalid car."

She plays a similar role in Dinnerladies as Anne Reid's mother (again!). She's a sex-mad pensioner who loves her tracksuit because it allows her to be 'bare-arsed in seconds' There's some lovely interplay between her and Thora Hird who plays Thelma Barlow's mother ('They tried to get me in a tracksuit once. They don't flatter' :D)
  • Options
    BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking over this thread there's so many of Dora's early films I've never seen - The Fallen Idol, The Cure for Love, The Blue Lamp. I'll have to get watching.

Just saw her the other day as a prostitute in a police station in Street Corner.

She was also very funny in the last Mother Riley film with Arthur Lucan and Bela Lugosi.

After Carry On Sergeant, she was considered for Joan Sims's part in Carry On Teacher but never did anymore.

The Great St Trinian's Train Robbery is a hoot. She was also in Up the Front, a WW1 comedy with Frankie Howerd.
  • Options
    cezzycezzy Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just read this. Such a charming funny lady who I had the pleasure of meeting. Used to take my first born to Clarges the hotel she owned in Brighton & use the heated pool. Her son & daughter-in-law ran the place & can't say Dora around much but you knew when she was! (In a nice way). RIP Dora