• Options
    ThePerfectOneThePerfectOne Posts: 20,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sex wrote: »
    I am now

I've pushed everyone away
    I love being by myself, can't trust nobody

Same here, I rather be by myself and also do not trust anyone :)
  • Options
    123keithy123123keithy123 Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    I have 0 friends

My phone book is as follows

BT
    taxi
    Work phone
    Mum
    Sister
    Doctors
    Few other utilities providers and that's it....

I don't have a problem with not having anyone I call a friend as I know my interests and way of life is different to a lot of people.

When I was a bit younger I had a lot of friends and had an amazing social life and stuff but was I any happier I don't think I was.

Seems to me like the Peer pressure and this need to have loads of friends these days is huge.

I also find the few conversations I have with people whether it be my Mum, Sister the local shopkeeper an old school friend or colleague I happen to bump into, are the conversations that really mean something I enjoy them and cherish them because I am not constantly bombarded with texts calls and inboxes from people 24/7.

The last actual face to face conversation I had with someone was probably last weekend other than the cat but I don't feel any worse off than someone who has probably been constantly engaged with dialect with someone for the last week.

Would I like a friend or 2 ? of course I would.

Does it effect me or my life by not having any ? no

The fact is I am a square peg and I don't even bother trying to fit in a round whole anymore because I just cant be bothered if I am honest.

Sometimes I wonder what it will be like if I live to an old age. will I get lonely and I must admit it does worry me a bit.
    I just think though their are a lot of elderly people in the UK who probably have Children and relatives all over the country and they probably don't see a friendly face for weeks on end either so I count my blessings really.

Overall I think I am a good egg, I will do anything for anyone and always go out my way to help others, People probably find me cold, Introverted, reserved, shy, quiet, odd, maybe even a bit eccentric...
    and to be honest they are probably correct most of the time... :D

Anyone who reads this post though if you feel you don't have any friends or you're lonely. Don't feel upset, down or depressed about it.
    Just be yourself and do the things you want to do.
    Then that way, one day you might meet someone doing the exact same thing as you....
    You will get chatting make some common ground and exchange numbers then maybe just maybe you will be able to call them a friend...

Never feel bad because you are different and don't want to do the same things or live similar lives to everyone else.
    So many people follow trends and set ways of thinking these days..

Just be yourself.
    Do what feels Wright in you're general day to day life because we all know the difference between wright and wrong.

don't look at people and think why aren't I like them or why cant I be like this... Because trust me even the most popular, Beautiful, rich, sociable people on the planet have their problems...

So believe me you are not alone even if it feels like you are.

Even us guys on DS fount each other somehow whether its through boredom, being opinionated, TV shows or loneliness we all talk and majority of the time get along, And we are from all kinds of backgrounds, classes cultures religions beliefs and creeds I am also pretty certain the people on the X factor page are from a different planet as well.... :D

We all human we all have our hang ups and issues, pet peeves and likes,
    Just remember as well the more friends you have the more Boring weddings, Birthdays, Christmases and holiday photos you have to put up with.

Don't be a lemon be a rosebud...

Toodle pip people....

Enjoy my post/novel

By the way if anyone want to come edible wild plant picking with me later
    let me know

See I told ya i was odd ;-)
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kind of. I know a few people in my neighborhood that I stop and chat with when I'm out walking, but I don't have anyone that I go out to socialize with or invite them over. If I needed a lift somewhere or to borrow something, I'd be s.o.l. as I don't feel that I know anyone well enough to ask.
  • Options
    Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    123keithy123- I like your post, a lot of it rings very true to me.

I do not have any real family to speak of. No parents, 1 sister who I never see, and a wider extended family who I only see at funerals! I sometimes think I was dumped in the wrong family, there is no common ground with any of them other than blood. we do not share the same values or interests. I do have a OH and he is my best friend too.

I don't have any close friends. There is one work colleague I am friendly with but the friendship would end if one of us left the workplace.

When I was younger I had a lot of friends but even then I felt like a loner. As I have got older I realise that it is okay not to need people. I think it is odd that some people cannot go through a whole day by themselves, they would think it was odd to think it was bliss not to have to interact with other people every few minutes. I am not a needy person and can shift for myself well. I spent yesterday by myself, and will do again today, and I love that.

Sometimes I do worry about old age and what will happen if my OH dies before me but it is not something I dwell on. Nursing homes are full of people who have children but they have still ended up in the nusing home sitting in a chair staring at a TV all day.

I do not connect with many people. I find a lot of people fake and more concerned with how they come across to people, or trying to impress, rather than being authentic. If I met someone who I clicked with I would welcome a friendship but would rather be without than having one just to go through the motions.

I have a good life. I travel a lot, I have no money worries. A job that I get no satisfaction from, but gives me a lot of flexibility. I love learning new stuff, I am open to new experiences so I do not feel like a Billy No Mates. I feel like. Billy Don't Need Any Mates.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i`ve got good and close friends but i prefer solitude and interaction by remote.
  • Options
    123keithy123123keithy123 Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    123keithy123- I like your post, a lot of it rings very true to me.

I do not have any real family to speak of. No parents, 1 sister who I never see, and a wider extended family who I only see at funerals! I sometimes think I was dumped in the wrong family, there is no common ground with any of them other than blood. we do not share the same values or interests. I do have a OH and he is my best friend too.

I don't have any close friends. There is one work colleague I am friendly with but the friendship would end if one of us left the workplace.

When I was younger I had a lot of friends but even then I felt like a loner. As I have got older I realise that it is okay not to need people. I think it is odd that some people cannot go through a whole day by themselves, they would think it was odd to think it was bliss not to have to interact with other people every few minutes. I am not a needy person and can shift for myself well. I spent yesterday by myself, and will do again today, and I love that.

Sometimes I do worry about old age and what will happen if my OH dies before me but it is not something I dwell on. Nursing homes are full of people who have children but they have still ended up in the nusing home sitting in a chair staring at a TV all day.

I do not connect with many people. I find a lot of people fake and more concerned with how they come across to people, or trying to impress, rather than being authentic. If I met someone who I clicked with I would welcome a friendship but would rather be without than having one just to go through the motions.

I have a good life. I travel a lot, I have no money worries. A job that I get no satisfaction from, but gives me a lot of flexibility. I love learning new stuff, I am open to new experiences so I do not feel like a Billy No Mates. I feel like. Billy Don't Need Any Mates.

I am so glad you could relate to some of my post.
    I completely understand yours, Its surprising how many of us are actually around :)
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess the rise in social networking gives some people the impression that having loads of text/online interactions is 'the way to be' but it's all a myth. As an only child, I'm perfectly happy in my own company and do tend to start feeling a bit stifled if a friend is a bit 'full on' (like texting, 'phoning and knocking the door more often than I can cope with). That's why I refuse to be a slave to my mobile 'phone and leave it unattended for a couple of days, sometimes. I also have ignored the door being knocked when I've needed some alone time. I do have friends and really enjoy getting together with them- and, more so, my partner- but am not clingy. I once did get a little bit clingy in a 'friendship' and didn't like myself for it, even though I was very vulnerable at the time and needed a shoulder (chose the wrong person to trust!). I also think that some people expect too much from their friends and they will always be let down (not meaning anyone in this thread). People are generally inconsistent- doesn't mean they're 'bad'. In summary, I think 'live and let live'. Some of us aren't meant to be social animals and that's fine.
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FIFA1966 wrote: »
    Is anybody here a Billy-No-Mate?

I am.

Doesn't get me down one bit.

Why?

Because life is better on your own.

Is your partner your mate? We are social animals and not really meant to be on our own. :(

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9796903/Stay-single-die-younger-say-scientists.html
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    D_Mcd4 wrote: »
    Is your partner your mate? We are social animals and not really meant to be on our own. :(

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9796903/Stay-single-die-younger-say-scientists.html

some of us are happier that way.
  • Options
    zedechozedecho Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    I've never managed to make friends, despite trying.

I was happy being on my own in my 20s and 30s, but I do have to admit it's harder as I get older. Family live hundreds of miles away, and never visit (I do visit them occasionally ). And I've never had a partner.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Some people are destined not to have any mates.
    Since the using bastards at NETTO (Dick)head office cut my hours down to sixteen pathetic hours a week, the life I did have's practically over.
    A bit OT but here's a qustion:-
    WHO says that I HAVE to use a smartphone just as a phone and for gaming? I mainly use mine for videography (I haven't uploaded any videos or animations for a while because I'm stuck for ideas but I've got some footage of the 80s themed video on extrenal hard drive) and photography.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer my own company, but do keep in touch with old friends on Facebook.
  • Options
    BobbyNoMatesBobbyNoMates Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not quite. Nearly though.
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have 0 friends

My phone book is as follows

BT
    taxi
    Work phone
    Mum
    Sister
    Doctors
    Few other utilities providers and that's it....

I don't have a problem with not having anyone I call a friend as I know my interests and way of life is different to a lot of people.

When I was a bit younger I had a lot of friends and had an amazing social life and stuff but was I any happier I don't think I was.

Seems to me like the Peer pressure and this need to have loads of friends these days is huge.

I also find the few conversations I have with people whether it be my Mum, Sister the local shopkeeper an old school friend or colleague I happen to bump into, are the conversations that really mean something I enjoy them and cherish them because I am not constantly bombarded with texts calls and inboxes from people 24/7.

The last actual face to face conversation I had with someone was probably last weekend other than the cat but I don't feel any worse off than someone who has probably been constantly engaged with dialect with someone for the last week.

Would I like a friend or 2 ? of course I would.

Does it effect me or my life by not having any ? no

The fact is I am a square peg and I don't even bother trying to fit in a round whole anymore because I just cant be bothered if I am honest.

Sometimes I wonder what it will be like if I live to an old age. will I get lonely and I must admit it does worry me a bit.
    I just think though their are a lot of elderly people in the UK who probably have Children and relatives all over the country and they probably don't see a friendly face for weeks on end either so I count my blessings really.

Overall I think I am a good egg, I will do anything for anyone and always go out my way to help others, People probably find me cold, Introverted, reserved, shy, quiet, odd, maybe even a bit eccentric...
    and to be honest they are probably correct most of the time... :D

Anyone who reads this post though if you feel you don't have any friends or you're lonely. Don't feel upset, down or depressed about it.
    Just be yourself and do the things you want to do.
    Then that way, one day you might meet someone doing the exact same thing as you....
    You will get chatting make some common ground and exchange numbers then maybe just maybe you will be able to call them a friend...

Never feel bad because you are different and don't want to do the same things or live similar lives to everyone else.
    So many people follow trends and set ways of thinking these days..

Just be yourself.
    Do what feels Wright in you're general day to day life because we all know the difference between wright and wrong.

don't look at people and think why aren't I like them or why cant I be like this... Because trust me even the most popular, Beautiful, rich, sociable people on the planet have their problems...

So believe me you are not alone even if it feels like you are.

Even us guys on DS fount each other somehow whether its through boredom, being opinionated, TV shows or loneliness we all talk and majority of the time get along, And we are from all kinds of backgrounds, classes cultures religions beliefs and creeds I am also pretty certain the people on the X factor page are from a different planet as well.... :D

We all human we all have our hang ups and issues, pet peeves and likes,
    Just remember as well the more friends you have the more Boring weddings, Birthdays, Christmases and holiday photos you have to put up with.

Don't be a lemon be a rosebud...

Toodle pip people....

Enjoy my post/novel

By the way if anyone want to come edible wild plant picking with me later
    let me know

See I told ya i was odd ;-)

What's odd about foraging? It's ludicrously hip and fashionable these days.
  • Options
    Seth1Seth1 Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Foraging is odd people. It involves talking to plants.:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    I'm a Billy-No-Mate in that I don't have a friend called Billy...
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seth1 wrote: »
    Foraging is odd people. It involves talking to plants.:o

Must be where I was going wrong :(
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not entirely but sort of, I suppose lol :D

There are a couple of people I know whom I regard as close friends, or best friends, even though I've never met them in person - we chat via twitter. One I used to chat with on FB but she deactivated her account the other day as she didn't use it much :( the two of them live in England (and I live in Scotland). I had/have another friend whom lives in mainland Europe but we barely hear from each other these days - I have her number and we text each other ocassionally but thats about it now. I don't really know people local to me but I chat in passing to a few people, through social media, if we use the same website and that sort of thing (like im a member of a group on Facebook for people who use the websites Ciao and DooYoo and there's a lady I chat to via email, we started chatting after exchanging messages via our guestbooks on Ciao).

I suppose I like the sort of sense of freedom in not feeling like I have to go out every week to meet up maybe, as im not *that* social really but sometimes I feel a bit cut off and I can be ludicrously self conscious, I guess I feel sorry for myself sometimes, tch, cringe. I don't share most peoples interests and have perhaps some peculiar likes for my age and things, maybe, so that is maybe something to do with it but mostly I just keep to myself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only have one mate but he keeps interrupting me when I'm playing Dragon's Dogma on Xbox Live.>:(
  • Options
    blue eyed guyblue eyed guy Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have Dad, and my two brothers and their wives, a couple of neighbors, and of course there is you lot.

Apart from that I'm more or less a loner. And I like it that way.
  • Options
    blue eyed guyblue eyed guy Posts: 2,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those of you who see yourself as loners, hopefully this may be reassuring to you. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_GE5DiWjAU
  • Options
    FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vosne wrote: »
    Why's it better on your own?

Because of the following:

1. No shouting and screaming.

2. Friends are weak, useless gutless cowards, who hide their tails in between their legs and run like the cowards that they are.

3. Ask Jon Richardson.
  • Options
    FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seth1 wrote: »
    I'm not sure that this statement is good PR....:o

and besides, you refer to yourself as billy no mate and that it doesn't get you down one bit. If life to you really is better on your own, you wouldn't have any reason to use such a negative and derisory statement about yourself. Its very contradictory.

:confused:

Allow me to put it to you like the following:

When was the last time you wanted to move your life forward with hope, decency, courage and honesty and nobody had helped you?
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh and I should have said I talk to a guy on here as well, at least sometimes anyway. I live with my parents, we get on ok but I tend to spend most of my time on my own, as I like it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FIFA1966 wrote: »
    Allow me to put it to you like the following:

When was the last time you wanted to move your life forward with hope, decency, courage and honesty and nobody had helped you?

I generally don't rely on anyone other than family if that's my aim, but I thought this thread was about mates/nomates. I can only do that for myself at the end of the day, but I certainly don't divide the population into those that help me and those that don't. That's verging on being a sociopath.