Options

Pav and the underlying racism.

Comments

• Options
    adwaltonadwalton Posts: 4,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope it's not that but I'm scratching my head, I don't get it either :confused:

That's something Pav can't do.
  • Options
    Prof_MattProf_Matt Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    pie-eyed wrote: »
    I think there are a lot of imaginations running riot here.

Yes. Racism is completely imaginary.
  • Options
    missfrizzymissfrizzy Posts: 7,536
    Forum Member
    Me too, I've actually felt a bit sorry for him this week. :(

Me too. Don't understand the level of hostility to him. Thought he would be popular, he hasn't done anything wrong, in fact he's a bit of a victim in the house because ex housemates made untruthful comments about him, so I thought the public would feel some sympathy.
  • Options
    strictmachinestrictmachine Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For what it's worth I agree with OP 100% and was glad someone mentioned the "Muslim" thread about him as soon as he walked into the house as it shows the type of ignorance a lot of people have.
  • Options
    isoveliisoveli Posts: 1,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prof_Matt wrote: »
    One word. Turban.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who's had these thoughts about the subtext to the antipathy towards Pav.

I do agree. Most people would not even know it - it is that suspicion of anything a bit different. I do feel sorry for Pav. He literally has not done anything - which is part of the problem too. He just hasn't got that inner confidence of Zoe who can handle this group (of extremely hard people).
  • Options
    ruffleruffle Posts: 4,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get it but it does make me feel uncomfortable as a house mate he has done nothing wrong I did think is sister was very pretty she did not deserve to be booed
  • Options
    CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,253
    Forum Member
    Yes. Racism is completely imaginary.

Yeah so ANY suggestion of racism must be correct
  • Options
    B L ZeebubB L Zeebub Posts: 9,134
    Forum Member
    I think there are a lot of imaginations running riot here.

Housemates are there, in a popularity contest, to be judged on their behaviour in the house. If SOME people find Pav annoying, boring or whatever they are quite entitled to do so. Just as they are allowed to find Winston, thick, Helen loudmouthed and so on. To be saying Pav is nominated because he wears a turban!! Really?? Come on! Pav has survived evictions so he's not hated by everyone, anymore than he's loved by everyone. Just like all the other housemates. Carrying on like this and screaming racist over a housemate being nominated or booed is not only extremely rude to the viewers but does a disservice to Pav also. Is his personality, intelligence, etc. so irrelevant that people think the only thing to like or loathe about him is his religion? I think there are a lot of people in this thread who have an awful lot of growing up to do.

It's nothing to do with him being nominated, so not sure why you mention that.
    This is to do with the crowd's reaction to a bloke who hasn't be offensive in the slightest and why it is so over the top. Nobody is 'screaming racist'. People are feeling it and giving it a mention.

Does it really shock you to hear that it might still be happening?
  • Options
    delazarousdelazarous Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CarlLewis wrote: »
    Yeah so ANY suggestion of racism must be correct

Doesn't make it incorrect either
  • Options
    MissDeeBlueMissDeeBlue Posts: 4,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh nooo not the R word again...
  • Options
    HoffmisterHoffmister Posts: 12,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe his in ya face questions to HMs about sex didnt help
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Biko wrote: »
    I dont usually like the racism card being played but to be honest i actually think there is a bit of underlying racism. Yes he's a bit boring but has done nothing to warrant that level of hatred. I think it boils down to the fact that anyone willing to stand for hours in a big brother crowd to be part of a mob to boo or cheer people of little importance to the world must be at the lower eb of society

I rest my case.

We're better than THOSE people aren't we?
  • Options
    RuinedGirlRuinedGirl Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CarlLewis wrote: »
    If people are making it a race issue, I'm just as entitled to make it a class issue.

As we've all got to look at ourselves and our prejudices, it stands to reason that people should question their class-based prejudices too.

Except I don't have any class-based prejudices. I don't understand why you brought class into it when I was talking about 'racist idiots' who mistake Sikhs for Muslims. What exactly is it about that comment which you interpreted as 'classist'? You're way off the mark, quite frankly.
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rafferty wrote: »
    I have my reasons why Pav isn't the top of my list of hms I'm interested in but whatever i say won't fit in on a 'racist' thread so I won't be posting them.

Then why not start a new thread and enlighten us?
  • Options
    AndrewPdAndrewPd Posts: 6,718
    Forum Member
    Personally if I was in the crowd I would be booing that idiot Winston.

This kind of crowd always gets it wrong. If Pav appeared on TOWIE they would probably cheer him.

I wouldn't like to think they were all racists.
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    I am quite shocked that people are suggesting racism here :o

I don't understand why he is so unpopular, other than Zoe has intergrated herself so well, and he hasn't. I really like him myself, and hope things pick up for him soon, because he really unhappy. :(
  • Options
    pope_tartpope_tart Posts: 3,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One word. Turban.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who's had these thoughts about the subtext to the antipathy towards Pav.

crossed my mind too :(

However an alternative explanation might be that he is doing a psychology degree. People get very defensive when you tell them you're a psychologist and you always get the crap comments such as "so you're reading my mind then".

This might explain the housemates behaviour, or even the crowds. Look at how much hate the resident "behaviour experts" get on this forum for example
  • Options
    StrawberryLacesStrawberryLaces Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    missfrizzy wrote: »
    Me too. Don't understand the level of hostility to him. Thought he would be popular, he hasn't done anything wrong, in fact he's a bit of a victim in the house because ex housemates made untruthful comments about him, so I thought the public would feel some sympathy.

Exactly, we can understand the HMs getting the wrong impression but the viewing public should recognise the ex HMs stitched him up and not boo him surely.
  • Options
    pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    freddieaxl wrote: »
    I'm glad there are few "playing the race card" comments here...

Why is it so utterly offensive to people who say that that people have valid suspicions that there may be underlying racism involved in Pav's unpopularity?

We live in a largely racist world, and a lot of people will jump to stupid conclusions when they see a person wearing a turban. It's not the "PC BRiga DE!!! rofl" it's a valid concern.

Do you have proof that we live in a "largely racist world"? I don't believe we do. Of course there are people, of all races, who dislike anyone different to themselves but I don't think most of the people in the whole world hold the same opinions. I also think the majority of people are well used to seeing someone wearing a turban and don't jump to any conclusions at all. Stupid or otherwise. Funny how it's those screaming racist who are mentioning colour and turbans. I'm sure most of us just see the person behind it and make up our minds on whether Pav is bringing anything to the house or not.
  • Options
    B L ZeebubB L Zeebub Posts: 9,134
    Forum Member
    Funny how it's those screaming racist who are mentioning colour and turbans.

Funny haha, or funny competely logical?
  • Options
    SG-1SG-1 Posts: 16,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And so it begins,as I said earlier a group of FMs trying to turn him into a victim.

Pav is a dreadful housemate and is playing mind games..watch his VT,He said its what he is in to.
    He knows exactly what he is doing with all this I feel I cant integrate stuff..the housemates cannot take to him because they cannot trust him and the people who Ive spoke to dont like him because he has done nothing whatsoever to deserve a place anywhere near the final..I think the people raising the race issue are all too often mirroring their own thoughts and transfering it over to people who have never even thought about his race or his culture.
    I want it set straight the reason I dont like Pav has absolutely nothing to do with his culture,colour of skin or any religious beliefs..he is a boring housemate and that is it.

As for the boos..I dont think anyone,not even Helen or Ashleigh should be booed yet all ive seen on here this week is a bunch of people delighting about who to boo and what to chant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think some people get off on finding racism in things.

It's the Guardian readers' equivalent of complaining about Routemaster buses in Foyle's War.
  • Options
    strictmachinestrictmachine Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He hasn't done anything to deserve such a negative reaction. He's not a very interesting housemate, but seems like a decent enough person from what we've seen (excluding his pantomime VT).

Even worse was the fact that people booed his sister.

I cannot stand the booing of HM's friends and family.
  • Options
    SIOPHIE_FIERCESIOPHIE_FIERCE Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree wholeheartedly with the OP and it's her uncomfortable to watch. You can tell Pav is starting to doubt himself because he can't figure out what he's done that's so bad. It's not just the eviction crowd, I've seen some comments on here and other social media sites that show that there is some prejudice going on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RuinedGirl wrote: »
    No, but they're not Sikh and wearing a turban. They're 'Westernised' and therefore aren't targeted by 'subtle' racism from people who see a turban and instantly think ''OMG terrorist/ send him back to his own country/ etc etc.''

What a silly reasoning, can't it just be that he is an unlikeable guy, I can't warm to him yet I find most Sikh men very sociable, likeable and attractive. He has walked into a place where they have already made their friendships, he stood in clear judgement of some of them, the public and the HMs have a right to find him a bit smarmy without being accused of racism, since when the booing has been a true reflection of what the public think. I firmly believe BB asks the crowed to boo certain HMs for effect just to mess with their head, in his case it worked, he was shown in the DR talking about it to BB.:D

Also, all the known terrorists in the west never wore turbans, so why are you connecting the two?
This discussion has been closed.