Options

Peaches Geldof dead (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think people can't understand how someone with so much could throw it away time after time. She strikes me as having been incredibly selfish and the fact shed lost contact with her dad in the weeks before makes me wonder if her family were well aware she was using again. As others have said people wouldn't be so understanding if that child had died.

My personal opinion is she liked being the tragic daughter of Paula, for most part it's how she made her living.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To a certain extent I have sympathy that she became an addict & didn't mean to & didn't mean to die.
    BUT .... Heroin is a nasty drug. Its widely popularised as a nasty dangerous drug. Its drummed into kids from an early age that its a nasty drug. No-one can claim ignorance. Let alone someone whose mother died from an OD on that same drug.
    So why did she make the stupid decision to start??
    And before anyone responds telling me not to be holier than thou. In the past I've been exposed to drugs of all kinds. So have many of my friends & associates. We could've got access to smack if we wanted. But we didn't- because we know its a nasty, dangerous drug.
    I don't care how young she was when she started, the fact that she lost her mother cos of it shouldve been sufficient to put her off for life.
    Im sorry but I'll put a lot of this down to a young, eager to please teenager trying to impress the social set she was hanging around with.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poppyr wrote: »
    I stand by everything I say in my post. Only yesterday I had to deal with yet another young child who is on the at risk child protection register because of drug addicted parents. They have already had a baby die under suspicious circumstances whilst under their care. This problem is spiralling out of control and innocent children will continue to suffer and even die. Maybe if her young son had died while she was getting high some of the people on here wouldn't have been so sympathetic. I dread to think how many children are dying up an down the country because of neglect as you only hear about a few cases. I find it staggering that people can still have sympathy for a woman who took drugs while in charge of a baby and ultimately put that child's life at risk.

Judge me all you like and of course I am not perfect, no one is, but if I was lucky enough to have children I would do everything in my power to protect them. In my opinion there are no excuses for her actions and as other posters said those of her husband leaving a young baby with someone he suspected of taking drugs.

I think when people have first hand experience of addicted babies as you and I both do, they think differently. People just don't realise until they see it nor do they realise how neglected the poor little things are.

She was a bright, well-educated girl and she must have known the dangers of drug taking. She must also have known about the dangers of getting pregnant while on drugs but she went right ahead.
  • Options
    Daisy_DukeDaisy_Duke Posts: 1,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    I see Fifi Geldof has laid into Mumsnet and other forums who have been trashing Peaches over her taking Heroin.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2705081/You-ve-no-idea-talking-Fifi-Geldof-launches-expletive-laden-attack-critic-called-sister-Peaches-selfish-online.html

I also see that mother of the year "I will abort my baby so I can appear on big brother" Josie Cunningham has been laying into Peaches.

Fifi sounds a charming young lady.
  • Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I think when people have first hand experience of addicted babies as you and I both do, they think differently. People just don't realise until they see it nor do they realise how neglected the poor little things are.

She was a bright, well-educated girl and she must have known the dangers of drug taking. She must also have known about the dangers of getting pregnant while on drugs but she went right ahead.

It’s too late to question why Peaches did what she did. She certainly made a fatal mistake but we knew she’d paid the ultimate price and knew it months ago. It’s her bereaved husband who is the one who is left to ponder on the what ifs or maybes or perhaps he should put himself on the rack as some appear to want him to do.

Silly girl, unhappy girl, selfish girl or just a girl who was in the public eye but what does it matter when it’s her husband who is the one who has to get on with it and make a happy life for their kids. Being in the know or raking it over and condemning Peaches doesn’t make it any easier for anyone in her family. It’s not us who have lost their loved one but her family who must live on without her and take any flack directed at Peaches.

None of them have nothing to reproach themselves for so hopefully they’re all strong enough to survive this current round of criticism.
  • Options
    wildholliewildhollie Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daisy_Duke wrote: »

I think Fifi has a very good point....no-one really knows what went on except Peaches and her family.....and I'd be the same, sticking up for your family is what you do...no matter what...
  • Options
    Danny_GirlDanny_Girl Posts: 2,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wildhollie wrote: »
    I think Fifi has a very good point....no-one really knows what went on except Peaches and her family.....and I'd be the same, sticking up for your family is what you do...no matter what...

Agree with this to a point. Everyone else can take a calmer more rational view from a step backwards because it is not someone they love that has died. Having lost a family member in their 30s, albeit in totally different circumstances, I know that there are far more layers to grieving for someone who has died years before they should have than someone who dies in old age. It is a horrible, horrible experience and there is a lot of anger tied up in there too. I am not surprised that Fifi has responded in the way she has and I think it is perfectly natural and she should not be condemned or it. It is said that the grieving process takes 3 years on average so at a couple more years on for the young age Peaches died and the futility of her death and it will probably be 5 years before her family start to come out the other side. Part of that process will be coming to terms with the manner of her death so for her family that will involve much soul searching around whether they should have spotted what was really going on and what they could have done to stop it. I expect over time Fifi will be more rational in her response to criticism of Peaches as she accepts, in the cold light of day, how irresponsible Peaches was to be taking drugs while solely in charge of a baby, despite how much she loved her child. I hate to say it but I also see a big rift coming with Peaches husband because I fail to see how he could not have been aware of hat was going on.
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I expect most of us would be "charming" if our sister was the subject of even a tiny bit of what I have read in this thread. She knew the whole person. Not just the person the papers wrote about or DS members slagged off in showbiz.

I think there are ways of saying things that dont hurt others that are still living.
    Sadly places like DS or Mumsnet are not the places for those people who understand more about life and its demons.

Sometimes I feel utter despair when I read what people can say about others. Then I realise its not real and I have never met one of these people in the real world.
    I love the WWW but think its brought out the worst in so many people.
  • Options
    sidsgirlsidsgirl Posts: 4,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Maybe, but she is grieving, and defending her sister. Understandable imo.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel bad for her family but she kept heroin in her home where she lived with her children, lied to her family, didn't seek further treatment or counselling to prevent relapsing and now her children will lack a mother for the duration of their lives, just as she and her sisters had to. I find it hard to sympathise with that kind of carelessness and selfishness. It does somewhat undermine her claims on This Morning about responsible parenting in retrospect, to think she was taking her appearance fees from such shows to buy high grade skag. Who keeps large amounts of drugs in a home with curious little children? It seems in truth she was just a young woman who was irresponsible and took on far too much responsibility far too soon, couldn't fill the real void she felt, resorted to chasing fame to the detriment of her own actual ego, didn't get enough real support and now has left a hole in the lives of those who loved her. I understand Fifi is angry but perhaps if she and her other kin had expressed more concern and interest in her sister's wellbeing sooner rather than running around with the Hoxton/Islington set, perhaps she wouldn't be having to mourn her loss. Easier to point the finger than accept the blame. Hopefully they can all do more and better for her kids so at least they will have stability and support. I also really hope her "rock star" husband gets his priorities sorted, it seems like virtually all of her boyfriends were only famous for being with her, from that Towers Of London bloke to this fellow.
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think a few people are "Not getting it" She died because she came off heroin. Just like many addicts who come off it and then try it once more, they die from a OD as they are intolerant of the drug in the dose they were once taking.

She wasn't continually taking it, if she had been she would still be alive.
  • Options
    DonmackDonmack Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think a few people are "Not getting it" She died because she came off heroin. Just like many addicts who come off it and then try it once more, they die from a OD as they are intolerant of the drug in the dose they were once taking.

Which makes her decision to take it while alone in the house with her baby even more appalling.
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel bad for her family but she kept heroin in her home where she lived with her children, lied to her family, didn't seek further treatment or counselling to prevent relapsing and now her children will lack a mother for the duration of their lives, just as she and her sisters had to. I find it hard to sympathise with that kind of carelessness and selfishness. It does somewhat undermine her claims on This Morning about responsible parenting in retrospect, to think she was taking her appearance fees from such shows to buy high grade skag. Who keeps large amounts of drugs in a home with curious little children? It seems in truth she was just a young woman who was irresponsible and took on far too much responsibility far too soon, couldn't fill the real void she felt, resorted to chasing fame to the detriment of her own actual ego, didn't get enough real support and now has left a hole in the lives of those who loved her. I understand Fifi is angry but perhaps if she and her other kin had expressed more concern and interest in her sister's wellbeing sooner rather than running around with the Hoxton/Islington set, perhaps she wouldn't be having to mourn her loss. Easier to point the finger than accept the blame. Hopefully they can all do more and better for her kids so at least they will have stability and support. I also really hope her "rock star" husband gets his priorities sorted, it seems like virtually all of her boyfriends were only famous for being with her, from that Towers Of London bloke to this fellow.

'We' don't know she didn't though. We don't know what went on behind closed doors, and nor should we. If the family is anything like mine, then you can shout and argue amongst yourselves but as soon as anyone not family gives it a go then ranks are closed. It's just the way it works!

When it comes down to it, the only person who could get Peaches clean was Peaches. All the wishing and hoping and help from family members means nothing.
  • Options
    Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    I think the aggressive reaction to any kind of negative comment about Peaches' death is typical of the present generation. Nobody is ever responsible for anything, we are all innocent victims be it a problem with drugs, alcohol or even FOOD!!!!! The fact is Peaches knew what it was like to be brought up without her Mum, knew her Mum died of drugs lived with her as she battled her depression, death of Michael etc etc. yet she choose to get involved with the drug scene. Two beautiful kids, lovely husband, money and fame! Still it was not enough of a HIGH!! Sorry, cannot say I have too much sympathy for a woman who appeared to be intelligent but was just rather stupid. All the articles she wrote and interviews she gave about being a recovering addict! Earth Mother etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Donmack wrote: »
    Which makes her decision to take it while alone in the house with her baby even more appalling.

I agree, also to say she tried it ONCE after rehab is rubbish. There were lots of used injections, lots of heroin around the house. She had a two year old that she was responsible for, her husband was away working, and yet she still took drugs and left that child alone for 17 hours. To say she did not intend to kill herself, yes OK that is probably true but what decent person would put their child at risk by getting out of their heads with drugs and /or alcohol etc when looking after a child for the weekend!!i No we are all supposed to say poor Peaches, etc etc!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The reason I posted about wealth was not to make excuses, but to offer an alternative view to the downsides of drug abuse.
    There is a relevance, when Kate Moss was found to have a cocaine habit, she went into rehab. It costs thousands.
    I questioned wether Peaches had the resources and believe me there is a difference.

Peaches' Dad would have done anything to get her off drugs. He adored her. I doubt if the reason why Peaches did not get off drugs permanently was due to lack of money. She lived in a million pound home and I do not know how much Geldorf has!! She repeatedly went into rehab as far as I know (admittedly only from the media!!). She had a lot of support from her husband and Dad, as far as I know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She took it in Feb then again in early April so it wasnt a long break. Its more likely she didn't know the purity of what she was taking. That's an argument for legality I guess although I have mixed feelings about this...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the aggressive reaction to any kind of negative comment about Peaches' death is typical of the present generation. Nobody is ever responsible for anything, we are all innocent victims be it a problem with drugs, alcohol or even FOOD!!!!! The fact is Peaches knew what it was like to be brought up without her Mum, knew her Mum died of drugs lived with her as she battled her depression, death of Michael etc etc. yet she choose to get involved with the drug scene. Two beautiful kids, lovely husband, money and fame! Still it was not enough of a HIGH!! Sorry, cannot say I have too much sympathy for a woman who appeared to be intelligent but was just rather stupid. All the articles she wrote and interviews she gave about being a recovering addict! Earth Mother etc.
    Agree re blameless generation. Always ready to point the finger at others.
    Her Attachment Parenting- ideal mother image was typical of the BS celebrity culture based around an ideal of attempting to attain the perfect, aspirational lifestyle. Such massive bollocks! Older people know this to be BS but she never grew up enough to realise this. Life is messy, you make mistakes , f**k up & learn. The showbiz culture she lived in is toxic & destructive.
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm sorry - but what? How do you know what his priorities are or were? As far as I can tell he dotes on his children and in fact was looking after them for the majority of the weekend that she died. Who are you or anyone else to say that he needs to get his priorities 'sorted'. He is a grieving Father and Husband as far as I can see and doesn't need continual antagonism from strangers on the internet. Just because he's a 'rock star' doesn't make him any less of a Father or Husband.
    boddism wrote: »
    Agree re blameless generation. Always ready to point the finger at others.
    Her Attachment Parenting- ideal mother image was typical of the BS celebrity culture based around an ideal of attempting to attain the perfect, aspirational lifestyle. Such massive bollocks! Older people know this to be BS but she never grew up enough to realise this. Life is messy, you make mistakes , f**k up & learn. The showbiz culture she lived in is toxic & destructive.

Well, I think she's the ultimate example of this. She is now dead after making the ultimate f**k up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well, I think she's the ultimate example of this. She is now dead after making the ultimate f**k up.

She came from a corrosive Celeb culture where putting on a front & image means more than the horrors of exposing the realities of life. As Paula Yates children the narrative would've been that they're "beautiful" & "strong" & "carry the spirit of their mother" not-"am insecure, f****d up & led on by others" which seems to be more the case. Peaches led a double life, not just cos she was an addict, but that stupid & unrealistic expectations were put on her. What else explains the "perfect mother" crap??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course Fifi's grieving and her anger is 100% understandable, I'd be furious too, I lost a sister in law aged 21, the grief is palpable even now.

I was referring more to the words she chose to retaliate. Words that didn't start with 'f' would have far more impact, in my humble opinion. People tend to listen more carefully to those who don't shout. Again, in my humble opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree.

I feel that once children enter the equation we *have* to grow up, those children, who didn't choose to be born, come first. Absolutely first. Any other selfish needs/addictions have to go. It helps no-one to keep making excuses "you can't help it, it's a strong addiction" whatever. The choice is children/family or addiction.

Also, don't forget Peaches put herself up their as the model mum. That was a lie of epic proportions, making other mums feel inadequate while all the time she was living a big old fat lie.

I do have sympathy for the woman, but nothing compared to the sympathy I have for her little boys, husband and the rest of her family.
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    She came from a corrosive Celeb culture where putting on a front & image means more than the horrors of exposing the realities of life. As Paula Yates children the narrative would've been that they're "beautiful" & "strong" & "carry the spirit of their mother" not-"am insecure, f****d up & led on by others" which seems to be more the case. Peaches led a double life, not just cos she was an addict, but that stupid & unrealistic expectations were put on her. What else explains the "perfect mother" crap??

I think she probably put the expectations on herself tbh.
    Of course Fifi's grieving and her anger is 100% understandable, I'd be furious too, I lost a sister in law aged 21, the grief is palpable even now.

I was referring more to the words she chose to retaliate. Words that didn't start with 'f' would have far more impact, in my humble opinion. People tend to listen more carefully to those who don't shout. Again, in my humble opinion.

She was angry. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
  • Options
    debdawdebdaw Posts: 91
    Forum Member

I'm afraid I fail to see why people feel the need to sound off about Peaches Geldof when the only people that will be hurt are her immediate bereaved family. Surely their feelings are more important than any individual's desire to express what is very often an ill-informed opinion on her death? What does it actually achieve? I can understand Fifi Geldof's reaction. Her sister's death boils down to the hot topic of the moment to be discussed ad nauseum by people who didn't know her, until the next bit of scandal comes along. The death of a loved one is hard enough as it is without posthumous trial by media, and I hope her husband and family can manage to ignore it.
  • Options
    Blue Eyed ladyBlue Eyed lady Posts: 6,007
    Forum Member

Bits in bold...........

If this is the case, do you not find it even remotely sad that Peaches was in a position where she felt the desperate need to fill a void in her life?

I certainly understand Fifi's anger & to be perfectly honest, I couldn't give a flying one that she swore, does it really matter? Can you imagine how she must feel, having to read the countless nasty comments about her sister, when these comments are from people who knew absolutely nothing about Peaches.
    Also, how do you know Fifi & the rest of Peaches family weren't interested in her sister's well being? I think the answer has to be, you don't.

Perhaps you can enlighten me as to what Tom's priorities are at the moment because unless you know otherwise, I would presume they are his children.
    Also, I'm a bit confused as to what Peaches ex partners & the reason they are famous has to do with the sad death of a young woman?:confused: