Options

Pav and the underlying racism.

Comments

• Options
    B L ZeebubB L Zeebub Posts: 9,134
    Forum Member
    mudcakes wrote: »
    Lauren Goodger said on bots: "he said he's from Essex, doesn't look like it?". Well Lauren, you dimwit- there are people of all races and cultures in Essex, me being one of them. These are the narrow minded people that watch this and vote out 'different' characters.

I'd forgotten about that.
    We don't all look like you, Lauren! >:(
  • Options
    madiain28madiain28 Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always agreed with this tbh.
    I tweeted this about deana too, when she was on and I got about 60 retweets but my share of hate, with people calling me narrow minded.

I honestly think him wearing a turban is what is scaring people. The crowd at the live shows are indicative of the target audience. Pretty scummy with a low IQ- (sweeping generalisation, I know). They can't accept anyone who looks different to them.

Lauren Goodger said on bots: "he said he's from Essex, doesn't look like it?". Well Lauren, you dimwit- there are people of all races and cultures in Essex, me being one of them. These are the narrow minded people that watch this and vote out 'different' characters.

Pretty scummy with a low IQ- I think that might be more indicative of yourself for writing something like that in the first place. If you look at the past winners of BB generally I think it proves BB viewers are one of the most open and accepting of everyone. Look at all the past winners and you will see a huge variety of characters. It's interesting how you immediately want to target everyone of being racist it says more about yourself and your intolerances and judgmental viewpoint.
  • Options
    SG-1SG-1 Posts: 16,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RuinedGirl wrote: »
    I'm not entirely sure why you're using the term 'anti-racists' as though it's an insult? I'm not exactly ashamed of the fact that I'm anti-racist. And it's not simply ''a bloke in a turban getting booed.'' It's someone being hated for no logical reason (as I stated very clearly in my original post.)
    You use emotive language dont you ..hate.

So anything you dont get or understand is ilogical,is that right?
    So when people have told you why they dislike PAV ( as a housemate by the way,you quietly ignore that important point ) you refuse to accept their reasoning and its ilogical as its not what you think or get..wonderful.
  • Options
    pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    B L Zeebub wrote: »
    Your answer is in no way connected to the question I asked, which was in response to your comment about it being funny that those seeing racism were the ones mentioning skin colour or turbans.

I can accept that they might find him boring, but not irritating. I can accept that people don't find it easy to support late-comers, but not to blame them for being late-comers. I can accept people not warming to someone who finds it hard to bond with other HMs, but not to hate them for it.

And don't give me all that crap about it being insulting to Pav.
    You think it's less insulting to him to say that he's brought this on himself?

I'm sorry did, you not say haha or logical? I just explained why it's neither.

Crap as my opinion may be in your eyes I still say it is insulting to Pav to say that all he is in the house is his colour and religion. He's in a popularity contest and he's not the most popular. Or the least , seeing as Steven left tonight. He's been up every week that he's been there and so have Ash and Christiopher with the exception of this week. What do you think are the reasons for this? Are they just not as popular as other people, or is there something else?
  • Options
    bingoesbingoes Posts: 4,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AndrewPd wrote: »
    He came across really badly in his VT?

Yep, but didn't they all.

Don't think it racism, just stupidity. The poor bloke is overwhelmed by these strong characters. Winston was a right bastard towards him.

I cannot help but feel sorry for him, he is totally harmless and does not warrant being booed or being treated like shit by the hm's,
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »
    She really said that? What an ignorant f**kwit. Seriously, if she actually left the end of her own street and mixed with people outside the 20 others mugs on that stupid show, she might realise that Essex is fairly ethnically diverse.

According to her Wikipedia page, she lived in Bethnal Green til she was 4 and then moved to Redbridge and, I can assure you, there are no lack of Sikhs in those areas so she really is talking sh*t

Yup- I know! Being a Sikh myself from Essex- I've met her before a few times and she's been pleasant, but that comment was just ignorance at it's peak. It really annoyed me, I tweeted her about it but obviously, didn't reply. Obviously she's forgotten everyone in Essex hates her, and her shop got burnt down- LOL.
  • Options
    curnowcurnow Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stupid thread , he is just new & boring
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    madiain28 wrote: »
    Pretty scummy with a low IQ- I think that might be more indicative of yourself for writing something like that in the first place. If you look at the past winners of BB generally I think it proves BB viewers are one of the most open and accepting of everyone. Look at all the past winners and you will see a huge variety of characters. It's interesting how you immediately want to target everyone of being racist it says more about yourself and your intolerances and judgmental viewpoint.

Hardly- I said sweeping generalisation. In my past experiences at live shows and on twitter, they have been like that tbh. Really rude and confrontational.

Not entirely to be fair, most of the winners are quite one dimensional and boring. The only worthwhile winners have been... Tbh I can't even remember anyone. They've all faded in z-list status.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That was 10 year ago and there was a lot of ignorance where Islam was concerned, today every Brit is acquainted with Islam and understand the difference, god knows and we all know the kids are being taught at schools how to be good Muslim these days.;-):p:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pie-eyed wrote: »
    I'm sorry did, you not say haha or logical? I just explained why it's neither.

Crap as my opinion may be in your eyes I still say it is insulting to Pav to say that all he is in the house is his colour and religion. He's in a popularity contest and he's not the most popular. Or the least , seeing as Steven left tonight. He's been up every week that he's been there and so have Ash and Christiopher with the exception of this week. What do you think are the reasons for this? Are they just not as popular as other people, or is there something else?

No, you didn't.
    The point was, it is logical that people suspecting racism will talk about things such as skin colour and turbans (in this case).

What exactly did you mean by 'funny', if it wasn't haha or logical?

As I've said, I have no problem with him being unpopular. People tend to prefer the originals, for some reason, but it's the hatred that worries me. He's done nothing to be hated for, IMO.
  • Options
    RealDipStickRealDipStick Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I share the concerns of the majority of the posters in this thread and found the crowd's behaviour very disconcerting

I do wonder if the same thoughts are going through Pav's mind, in his position I think they would be going through mine

Do you remember Hasan in Teen Big Brother, he was a Muslim and was the first to be evicted. there was no public vote, he was chosen by some of the other housemates. When he was informed he immediately accused them of being racist. I think Pav is far too intelligent to do something similar if he was evicted, but I think it would be understandable if the thought was lurking somewhere in his consciousness because, as has been asked many times here, what has he done to warrant that level of booing?
  • Options
    sara-dalesara-dale Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    CarlLewis wrote: »
    Anti-racists see a bloke in a turban getting booed and assume that it's thickos booing him for racist reasons.

You are saying you are a racist, is that right or did you not understand what you wrote?
  • Options
    RuinedGirlRuinedGirl Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SG-1 wrote: »
    You use emotive language dont you ..hate.

So anything you dont get or understand is ilogical,is that right?
    So when people have told you why they dislike PAV ( as a housemate by the way,you quietly ignore that important point ) you refuse to accept their reasoning and its ilogical as its not what you think or get..wonderful.

I'm not clinical, if that's what you mean by my use of 'emotive' language. In my opinion, it WAS hate. And so far no-one has been able to give me a logical explanation as to why Pav is hated so much (oops-emotive language again!)

'He is boring and quiet' So was Kim, yet people liked her up until the point of her getting with Steven.
    'He isn't integrated into the group' Neither was Jale at the beginning, yet she was initially the favourite to win. In fact, it made her MORE popular.
    'He's a newcomer and doesn't deserve to be there.' So is Zoe, yet the crowd love her.
    'He came across badly in his V.T' So did a lot of housemates who have been (or still are) popular with the crowd.

Yes, there are reasons why people would dislike Pav. And people are entitled to dislike him. But I've seen no reasons whatsoever as to why Pav should be booed to the extent that he is, why housemates are deliberately ostracising him, why Steven threatened him whilst talking to Helen and Ash, or why a lot of people hate him. (There's that word again! Oh my!)
  • Options
    pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    I've always agreed with this tbh.
    I tweeted this about deana too, when she was on and I got about 60 retweets but my share of hate, with people calling me narrow minded.

I honestly think him wearing a turban is what is scaring people. The crowd at the live shows are indicative of the target audience. Pretty scummy with a low IQ- (sweeping generalisation, I know). They can't accept anyone who looks different to them.

I just don't get why Pav, as a latecomer, not being popular in the house must be due to his turban "scaring people". The viewers are not toddlers. They know who they like or don't like. Pav is being treated like any other housemate by the viewers. Judged on how he is in the house. I felt when he came in at first he was a bit cocky. Now He's just meh. He doesn't entertain me. Please don't tell me that my having this opinion has anything to do with turbans.
  • Options
    strictmachinestrictmachine Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was 10 year ago and there was a lot of ignorance where Islam was concerned, today every Brit is acquainted with Islam and understand the difference, god knows and we all know the kids are being thought at schools how to be good Muslim these days.;-):p:D

"Aug. 5, 2012 -- Oak Creek, Wis.: A gunman is shot dead by police after he opened fire in a gurdwara during Sikh prayer services, killing six. [More from HuffPost.]"

I presume you mean "taught"
  • Options
    SIOPHIE_FIERCESIOPHIE_FIERCE Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's got nothing to do with racism. He's as boring as fcuk that's why!

So is Chris sometimes and Winston. If it weren't for the tasks we wouldn't have seen Winston at all this week. Usually when someone is not liked because they are boring the crowd reaction is usually that of indifference, maybe a few boos but mainly nothing. That crowd was booing emphatically and he got chanted out more than Steven. It's uncomfortable and I feel sorry for him going into this next week because it's clear the HMs are basing their opinions on the crowd reaction so this will have wrongly confirmed to them that he's a snake, game playing ********.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Aug. 5, 2012 -- Oak Creek, Wis.: A gunman is shot dead by police after he opened fire in a gurdwara during Sikh prayer services, killing six. [More from HuffPost.]"

I presume you mean "taught"

Yes thank you.
  • Options
    MithMarrMithMarr Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hang about, Pav gets booed and it's racist, Steven gets booed and it's not :confused:

Are you saying that everyone who isn't white must be adored and revered :confused:
  • Options
    CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,253
    Forum Member
    sara-dale wrote: »
    You are saying you are a racist, is that right or did you not understand what you wrote?

Maybe instead of "anti-racists", I should have said "smug, self satisfied anti-racist fanatics".

Sorry for not making that clearer.

When I use the term "anti-racists" in future, you'll know what I mean.
  • Options
    pollipolli Posts: 2,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Racism is out there and won't ever go away so no doubt a certain number of people look at Pav and see only the turban and skin colour and form their opinion on that, but in all honestly if he was white and had done a vt bigging himself up like he did then failed to deliver even one tiny bit then I think he'd get the same chanting from the eviction crowd because they tend to be ruthless.
    . I did feel sorry for him ,but hopefully he will live up to his vt this week, get interesting and integrate into whichever faction and turn round most of the boo-ers.Sadly there will be a number who simply will STILL dislike him for his ethnicity alone.
  • Options
    VegetaVegeta Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    curnow wrote: »
    stupid thread , he is just new & boring

Is it really a stupid thread? If he was new and boring and looked like Winston would you still believe he'll get treated the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MithMarr wrote: »
    Hang about, Pav gets booed and it's racist, Steven gets booed and it's not :confused:

Are you saying that everyone who isn't white must be adored and revered :confused:

Compare and contrast Steven and Pav's time in the house and you might find an answer.
  • Options
    sara-dalesara-dale Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    CarlLewis wrote: »
    Maybe instead of "anti-racists", I should have said "smug, self satisfied anti-racist fanatics".

Sorry for not making that clearer.

When I use the term "anti-racists" in future, you'll know what I mean.

So you actually were saying you're a racist, at least we know now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MithMarr wrote: »

Yep:D
  • Options
    SG-1SG-1 Posts: 16,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RuinedGirl wrote: »
    I'm not clinical, if that's what you mean by my use of 'emotive' language. In my opinion, it WAS hate. And so far no-one has been able to give me a logical explanation as to why Pav is hated so much (oops-emotive language again!)

'He is boring and quiet' So was Kim, yet people liked her up until the point of her getting with Steven.
    'He isn't integrated into the group' Neither was Jale at the beginning, yet she was initially the favourite to win. In fact, it made her MORE popular.
    'He's a newcomer and doesn't deserve to be there.' So is Zoe, yet the crowd love her.
    'He came across badly in his V.T' So did a lot of housemates who have been (or still are) popular with the crowd.

Yes, there are reasons why people would dislike Pav. And people are entitled to dislike him. But I've seen no reasons whatsoever as to why Pav should be booed to the extent that he is, why housemates are deliberately ostracising him, why Steven threatened him whilst talking to Helen and Ash, or why a lot of people hate him. (There's that word again! Oh my!)
    Im sure Ashleighs supporters saw no reasons why she should be booed last week,maybe people were just anti Irish or anti blonde.
    Why did BB9 Rachel get booed even when she won,she fits the same reason for me,she was dull..why do any of them get booed..your the one seemingly segregating Pav and treating him as a special case..he wears a turban so the booing must be racist..How many examples of boring or smug housemates would you like me to list before the penny drops that it was not because of his religion,skin colour or the fact he wore a turban.
This discussion has been closed.