Options

Summer Transfer Rumors & Deals 2014

Comments

• Options
    mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, Jo.

It's ridiculous to think that any player would want to play in front of 75,000 fans every home game, or play with players like Van Persie, Januzaj, Mata, Rooney, and De Gea.

Or work with a manager like Van Gaal, play for a club with a spectacular record of recent success, or even take advantage of United's global profile to raise their own.

We'll be scrapping with the likes of Burnley and Leicester for players.

Most of what you say stands up but the type of players you are trying to attract won't be impressed by any of those, well maybe one.
  • Options
    DuckSeasonDuckSeason Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    Just to add... £27 million for Shaw... really?! Plus £100,000 per week wages... really?! I absolutely agree with Mourinho - paying that much to a 19-year-old, albeit decent player, is financial suicide. Kroos cost £24 million, yet Shaw cost £27 million... really?!

:eek:

Kroos will be on much higher wages than Shaw. He also only had a year left on his contract and refused to sign a new one, so Bayern had no choice but to sell him otherwise he'd have gone next year for free. Yes Shaw is overpriced, but Kroos definitely wasn't cheap.
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to add... £27 million for Shaw... really?! Plus £100,000 per week wages... really?! I absolutely agree with Mourinho - paying that much to a 19-year-old, albeit decent player, is financial suicide. Kroos cost £24 million, yet Shaw cost £27 million... really?!

Yeah,and Jose's Chelsea are now shopping at Lidl rather than Waitrose ain't fooling everyone here either.

How much did they pay Hazard's agent again? Or was that just mythical nonsense? :p
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah,and Jose's Chelsea are now shopping at Lidl rather than Waitrose ain't fooling everyone here either.

How much did they pay Hazard's agent again? Or was that just mythical nonsense? :p

hazard wanted to come to chelsea, thats the bottom line.
  • Options
    JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member

Financial suicide? Basically the biggest football brand in the world, hard to see how a single player could be financial suicide.

That's not even taking into account that Shaw could potentially be the left back at the club for over a decade. 19 years old and already one of the best full backs in the league. Marketable as well so will make money on that side of the coin. Quite likely we'll make back the Shaw money without hardly breaking a sweat, but hey, financial suicide!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JMTD wrote: »
    Financial suicide? Basically the biggest football brand in the world, hard to see how a single player could be financial suicide.

That's not even taking into account that Shaw could potentially be the left back at the club for over a decade. 19 years old and already one of the best full backs in the league. Marketable as well so will make money on that side of the coin. Quite likely we'll make back the Shaw money without hardly breaking a sweat, but hey, financial suicide!

Make the shaw money back?

how exactly can you make 30 million and 100k a week back? Thats one heck of a lot of shaw shirts. Who realistically is going to buy them over rooney, rvp and mata?
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    It's being reported on Twitter that PSG have come to an agreement with Real Madrid for Di Maria to the tune of 65m euros (£51m).

If true, I'm really not sure how Ancelotti is going to set up next season, Di Maria will be a huge miss in the midfield.

As for PSG, that would be around £100m spent on Luiz and Di Maria and no sales to compensate. They don't seem too deterred by FFP so far.
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikeyddd wrote: »
    Most of what you say stands up but the type of players you are trying to attract won't be impressed by any of those, well maybe one.

How do you know? If you don't rate players like Van Persie and Mata then I'd suggest that you're in a very small minority.

De Gea is widely regarded as one of the best young 'keepers in the world, and you only have to look at what some of the world's best players have said about Rooney to see that he's extremely well regarded by other players.
    codeblue wrote: »
    Make the shaw money back?

how exactly can you make 30 million and 100k a week back? Thats one heck of a lot of shaw shirts. Who realistically is going to buy them over rooney, rvp and mata?

Who cares whether we make the money back, or not? We can easily afford it.

It's also quite amusing watching a Chelsea fan accusing United of over-spending on a player, after Torres, Shevchenko, etc.
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hazard wanted to come to chelsea, thats the bottom line.

I'm also sure the 6 million sweetener for his agent didn't sway his decision either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm also sure the 6 million sweetener for his agent didn't sway his decision either.

He wanted to come to the European champions
  • Options
    satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    He wanted to come to the European champions

There's something really insufferable about that quote.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Parthenon wrote: »
    It's being reported on Twitter that PSG have come to an agreement with Real Madrid for Di Maria to the tune of 65m euros (£51m).

If true, I'm really not sure how Ancelotti is going to set up next season, Di Maria will be a huge miss in the midfield.

As for PSG, that would be around £100m spent on Luiz and Di Maria and no sales to compensate. They don't seem too deterred by FFP so far.

Real Madrid squad next season. Pretty strong! Might still add a few of course.

GK - Casillas, Lopez, Fernandez
    DF - Varane, Pepe, Ramos, Nacho
    WB - Marcelo, Carvajal, Coentrao, Arbeloa
    MD - Kroos, Modric, Alonso, Illaramendi, Khedira (?)
    AM - Ronaldo, Bale, Rodriguez, Isco
    FW - Benzema, Jese

4-2-3-1

.........GK.........
    ......DF.DF.....
    WB............WB
    .....MD..MD....
    .AM..AM..AM..
    ..........FW.........
  • Options
    NightHawk123NightHawk123 Posts: 7,015
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Shaw had signed for Chelsea, Codeblue would be saying how the potential he has is a good thing and was easily worth whatever was paid for him.

Same as Mata was world class at Chelsea, then overrated when he left, and Luiz was easily worth £50m when he was about to be sold, then overpriced during the World Cup.

Chelsea good, everyone else bad.
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    If Shaw had signed for Chelsea, Codeblue would be saying how the potential he has is a good thing and was easily worth whatever was paid for him.

Same as Mata was world class at Chelsea, then overrated when he left, and Luiz was easily worth £50m when he was about to be sold, then overpriced during the World Cup.

I hate Chelsea and I think paying that much for Shaw is a terrible deal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »

I just don't buy this paying for potential nonsense . It's a scam.

When you are paying thirty million for a left back, surely you want the finished article?
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like taking hot baths and I think Sanchez was a canny signing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate Chelsea and I think paying that much for Shaw is a terrible deal.

I'd suggest that Van Gaal knows a bit more about football than you. In fact, Elmo probably does as well.
    I just don't buy this paying for potential nonsense . It's a scam.

When you are paying thirty million for a left back, surely you want the finished article?

It's the English premium. Liverpool have paid £25m for Lallana. If he was Serbian, he wouldn't have cost more than £10m.

Most clubs look at buying players who will be there for years. Chelsea re-sign Drogba, and look to punt Lukaku.
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    celesti wrote: »
    I like taking hot baths and I think Sanchez was a canny signing.

I hear Sanchez likes his baths a little chilly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd suggest that Van Gaal knows a bit more about football than you. In fact, Elmo probably does as well.

Hmmm... Elmo maybe, but not so sure about Van Gaal :p So when Mourinho said Shaw was too expensive, does that mean he knows less about football than you?
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheMunch wrote: »
    I hear Sanchez likes his baths a little chilly.

Already preparing for those cold, wet nights in Stoke, what a fantastic attitude.
  • Options
    FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm... Elmo maybe, but not so sure about Van Gaal :p So when Mourinho said Shaw was too expensive, does that mean he knows less about football than you?

It means he was playing a silly mind game, probably to put pressure on the player.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, it means that Mourinho has to worry about FFP. United and Van Gaal don't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    It means he was playing a silly mind game, probably to put pressure on the player.

I already said it once, but Kroos - £24m and Shaw - £27m. That's crazy stuff. Kroos is one of the best in the world in his position and if I had to pick someone who was irreplaceable for Germany this World Cup it would be him. Shaw on the other hand...

There was a thread on here about English players being ridiculously overpriced and I fully agree. No wonder the PL is full of foreigners.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I already said it once, but Kroos - £24m and Shaw - £27m. That's crazy stuff. Kroos is one of the best in the world in his position and if I had to pick someone who was irreplaceable for Germany this World Cup it would be him. Shaw on the other hand...

There was a thread on here about English players being ridiculously overpriced and I fully agree. No wonder the PL is full of foreigners.

Why are you completely ignoring the fact that Kroos only had a year left on his contract?

Yes, English players are expensive. That's mainly because UEFA have insisted upon a 'home grown' rule.