Options

Why won't people adopt black boys?

Comments

• Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    Yes, there is a major problem with councils not allowing trans-racial and also trans-religious adoption and this disproportionately impacts BME children.

Something that was headline news and under much discussion a few years back

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-11672674

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/breaking-down-barriers-to-adoption

Simon Wooley of Operation Black Vote criticised interracial adoption

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/edwest/100078615/leading-race-equality-chief-criticises-inter-racial-adoption-how-typical/
  • Options
    MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's how kids are brought up that tends to be the cause of that, not their skin colour.

Exactly, but this is the reason:
    The biggest percentage of lone-parent households is among black ethnic groups. Forty-eight per cent of black Caribbean families have one parent, as do 36 per cent of black African households.

Single-parent families are less common among Indians (ten per cent), Bangladeshis (12 per cent), Pakistanis (13 per cent), Chinese (15 per cent) and whites (22 per cent).

http://metro.co.uk/2007/04/10/race-divide-on-single-parents-251523/
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ramo1234 wrote: »
    I know, that has to be one of the most stupid and ignorant posts I've ever read on this forum.

explain yourself
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Julia Hartley-Brewer is talking to the British association of adoption and fostering on LBC radio and asking why.

My sister adopt a black boy 5 years ago.
    Could it be because black boys are more likely to end up in doing crime?
    Apologies, it is a question.

Poor troll is poor.

Top tip, the usual method is to start an obvious controversial thread, occasionally pop in now again to fan the flames if you're not getting the responses you desire then sit back and watch the s**t storm you've created unfold.

It's bad form to get impatient and ratchet up the controversy-meter this early in the thread and makes it all too obvious for someone like me who does this troll-hunting for fun.

As you're new I'll let this one slide but buck up your ideas young man as I'm up for a challenge now and again but this is just shooting fish in a barrel.
  • Options
    Danny_SilverDanny_Silver Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ramo1234 wrote: »
    And how do you know this?

I don't know, it's just we always hear in the media or news that black boys get stopped more than other groups.
    gashead wrote: »
    Couldn't hold back any longer huh. Were you getting concerned that no-one else was going to come out with this sort of statement?

No, apologies.
    It's how kids are brought up that tends to be the cause of that, not their skin colour.

( I shouldn't need to say that)

Exactly, I agree, colour does not come into it.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I suppose someone had to say it sooner or later...

Let's wait for the backlash now ;-)
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    Yes, there is a major problem with councils not allowing trans-racial and also trans-religious adoption and this disproportionately impacts BME children.

This is the reality. The main reason that there is a disproportionate number of black and mixed race children in care is due to the policy of only allowing adoption within the same ethnic background.
    We did look at adoption and got send through the details of some children and some of the criteria attached shocked us. For example, there was a young boy of mixed Nigerian and Latvian heritage. The notes said they needed a couple with a similar racial make up to allow him to grow up within both sides of his heritage. Now, what is the likelyhood that an exact match could be made there?

I really don't understand why ethnicity is such a barrier in adoption. There are plently of children out there who are mixed race and being brought up in a household/area which is predominately made up of only one side of their heritage
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    hunter23 wrote: »
    explain yourself

About what?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    I don't know, it's just we always hear in the media or news that black boys get stopped more than other groups.
    Yes, but crime can be committed by anyone regardless of their race.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do know that the Caribbean community in general are totally against non-black people adopting or even caring for black children. One of their reasons is that a black child will never lean of neither their history or culture.
  • Options
    rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see the OP is 17. Lord knows what they are teaching schools these days but if kids nowadays are forming their opinions off television then I for one no longer want to be on this planet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    White parents can't pass black children off as their own

The truth in that is astounding *sarcasm alert*.

But how does that stop them from adopting a child of a different ethnicity or are you saying they should only adopt within their own race?
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    I think Fanny-Anne has a good point, unless policy has changed. Always seemed a fine idea to adopt out children to families of the same ethnic group, but it can really limit the number of available parents.
    Also the older a child is the harder it is to find them adoptive homes so the poor kids end up being in the system longer and longer.:(

I've nether understood why it's considered a fine ideas. In fact, if the aim is to produce a more intergrated, equal and tollerant society then the reverse seems preferable.

Might also contribute to changing some of the problems facing black children in the future.
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ecckles wrote: »
    I do know that the Caribbean community in general are totally against non-black people adopting or even caring for black children. One of their reasons is that a black child will never lean of neither their history or culture.

how can a child have a culture/history, its like claiming people are born christians/muslims

seems near racism to me
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adoption is big business, children kept in care keep an awful lot of people in work, LAs and adoption agencies make as difficult as possible to adopt.

Black kids would not be difficult to adopt, no kids would be difficult to adopt if it wasn't for the blatant obstructions put in the way.
  • Options
    Dr.PhloxDr.Phlox Posts: 2,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the question needs to be expanded out quite a bit.

I have a couple of friends who for various reasons (medical) unable to conceive a child of their own. IVF etc. was no good as she was told from an early age she'd never conceive and, (I believe, but we're not THAT close!) that he cannot father biologically either for medical reasons, which would also rule out a surrogate.

That left them the only course of action to have children in their lives was to go on to the waiting list and through the adoption process.

Fast foward a few months and I found out last week that despite them both being amazing with kids, and to the best of my knowledge, they're both clean CRB-check wise, that they've been turned down. I didn't pry too much and ask why, but when you have these programmes on TV that showcase the process and show you kids stuck in the system because nobody wants school-age kids, or sibling pairs/threes etc. that short of one of them failing a background check for mental health/criminal reasons why a healthy mid-30's couple who own their own home and have a decent income would be turned down.

They would happily adopt any child or sibling pair, regardless of color, ethnicity, number of limbs, or whatever, yet they're being denied.

So it goes both ways - the kids are getting stuck in the system, but at the same time the system is failing the prospective parents too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The problem with the black community (which just as likely to be in the white and asian communities) is the whole rap/gang culture. This has lead to a breakdown of the family and of bad treatment towards women in general. Something needs to be done at address this and then hopefully young black men will stop killing each other.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We took in our late niece(white) with little problem with the authorities however when we took in our nephews (black mixed race sri Lankan) we found great opposition to us from SS. Quite a fight to get them to allow us to keep them despite they couldn't offer them another home. They seemed to prefer they went into a children's home than stay with us. We won in the end but not sure we would have chosen to fight like that if they hadn't already been here with us and well loved members of our family.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If that is the case, then what pro-active things are they doing to solve the problem?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    I've nether understood why it's considered a fine ideas. In fact, if the aim is to produce a more intergrated, equal and tollerant society then the reverse seems preferable.

Might also contribute to changing some of the problems facing black children in the future.

I see nothing wrong in people needing to have people the same as them around, whether this is same colour, sex etc but religion? That is purely down to the parents and if they can not or will not look after their children then why should they have a say in the childs religion? My nephew has a good relationship with my brothers, he looks up to them, even though they are different colours.
    It can not be a good thing to be the only white, black, brown, yellow, pink etc etc child.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    how can a child have a culture/history, its like claiming people are born christians/muslims

seems near racism to me

I find the bringing up slavery thing tedious, if we all looked back far enough we would find slaves in our family history.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    How many black couples adopt white children?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You forgot your centre justification. Are you losing your touch?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many black couples adopt white children?

The whole problem is that not enough black people come forward to adopt, so it is unlikely that this would happen, but I can not see why it should not. A loving family should be the first thing that gets ticked, then an understanding of the culture of the birth family and then the possiblility to mix with children and adults of all races and cultures.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rbdcay wrote: »
    You forgot your centre justification. Are you losing your touch?

Don't remind them, that centre shite gives me migraine