Options

Ingrowing toenail? Sorry guys! But please help if poss

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 151
Forum Member
I have an infected ingrowing toe nail. Went to drs and have antibiotics for the infection but as for cutting the nail back the for said they just want to leave it and it will sort itself out . Is this true? Surely my nail isn't going to cut itself out? Confused!

Comments

• Options
    EBD3000EBD3000 Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Go to a Podiatrist and see what they say.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Can you place a wee bit of cotton wool under the nail where it is starting to ingrow? This will help it grow out rather than in. My son had his 2 big toe nails removed because of them ingrowing. Nightmare. I would never like to see anyone go through what he did. Surprised the dr didn't suggest the cotton wool. Good luck.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had ingrowing toe-nails about 5 years ago but never got to the stage where they were infected

I've managed them by cutting straight across the top rather than in a semi-circle and every day I rub either tea tree oil or Carex medicated hand gel around my toes

I also put plasters around my toes if I'm going for a long walk

I'm not saying they're cured but I'm living with them OK without any pain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Swingaleg dunno wat to say I cut my nails exactly the way they say to to avoid it but still get them on the one toe of the one foot. If I could afford it I would def book in with podiatrist but absolutely broke, drs hate referring for anything too but will fight it if I have to. I will try cotton wool after infections gone too painful ATM but tbh I think it's too far in. Also have feeling it's broke off and got stuck in skin too :-(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    I used to suffer from them but I managed to fix them myself.

Make sure the corners are not growing in, make sure there are no spikes at the edges, a sharp modelling knife is usefull here. Ignore any pus you may release, just make sure the corners are smooth.

Then keep the nail clean and use antiseptic cream to try to combat any infections. Check the edges of the nail every few days and be 100% sure there are no sharp edges.

Over a few weeks you will have the nail grow out, now never cut it short again, I just sandpaper mine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I used to suffer from them but I managed to fix them myself.

Make sure the corners are not growing in, make sure there are no spikes at the edges, a sharp modelling knife is usefull here. Ignore any pus you may release, just make sure the corners are smooth.

Then keep the nail clean and use antiseptic cream to try to combat any infections. Check the edges of the nail every few days and be 100% sure there are no sharp edges.

Over a few weeks you will have the nail grow out, now never cut it short again, I just sandpaper mine.

Thank you I will definitely try this as I always try to keeping short to stop it ingrowing but it always even when cutting straight across like they tell u. Always the same bloody toe too!
  • Options
    War OnWar On Posts: 1,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One tip you could try... Try cutting a 'V' shape in the middle of the toenail. This will encourage the nail to try to close the 'V' gap which in turn might/should mean that the ingrowing bit is pulled away from where it is ingrowing.
  • Options
    fondantfancyfondantfancy Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dad had 30 years of hell with an ingrowing toenail - regularly visiting a chiropodist - and then his doctor cut a V shape in the middle of the nail and my dad never again had problems with it. Amazing but true.

I'd never understood why it worked until now.
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The V shape cut is not that easy to do on your own nail . A chiropodist will be able to advice and help you
    The GP obviously never had the pain of in ingrown toenail as it can be ongoing agony to live with
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dad had 30 years of hell with an ingrowing toenail - regularly visiting a chiropodist - and then his doctor cut a V shape in the middle of the nail and my dad never again had problems with it. Amazing but true.

I'd never understood why it worked until now.

That's great to hear!! I was a bit worried that all in all it could have been silly advice that I had given. It's worked for me at the very early stages of being ingrown but it's good to know this may actually work for the OP based on your Dads experience which was obviously more severe.

Try it OP!!!
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I did the V shape cut as well........that was advised on DS about 5 years ago when I posted on a similar thread to this !......:D

What I found was that over time the toe nail grew so thick that I wasn't able to make small incisions.........that's when I moved to cutting straight at the tip of the nail

It's a good idea to soak your feet for a while in a bowl of water before cutting as it softens the toe-nails..........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I did the V shape cut as well........that was advised on DS about 5 years ago when I posted on a similar thread to this !......:D

Well I've known about it for much longer than 5 years!!! About 5 years and 2 weeks hahaha. :D:p

Obviously just my humour.

My Dad taught me this. He's the husband of old wives tales lolol!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    duckylucky wrote: »
    The V shape cut is not that easy to do on your own nail . A chiropodist will be able to advice and help you
    The GP obviously never had the pain of in ingrown toenail as it can be ongoing agony to live with

Thanks all. I think I shall go to drs and try my best to get them to refer me but if not will try the v cut myself
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    I always thought a in growing nail was a source of amusement in my younger days, till I got one when I was about 22 or so. I soon realized that it's bloody painful, and every time you walk, you seem to stub your toe, it was my big toe, so it got the full brunt. I had part of it removed, it's never grown back, but I was warned that the ingrowing nail could come back. It never has, so my upmost sympathies for the op.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Bump wrote: »
    If I could afford it I would def book in with podiatrist but absolutely broke, drs hate referring for anything too but will fight it if I have to

If it keeps causing problems you are perfectly eligible to be referred for NHS podiatry. They see loads of 'em. (I'm a podiatry student :) )
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My daughter has them on her big toes and is going to have them treated next month at the hospital. Until then she has to use an anti-fungal cream every day on them. I'm hoping she won't be too laid-up from it as she'll be returning to school the week after.

I'm not entirely sure what they'll be doing to her as there are a few options and they likely won't decide until they see the toes in question. The first one is called partial nail avulsion and is said to be 98% effective, so I'm hoping it might be that one as it seems the least extreme.

My assumption is that if there was something non-surgical that could have worked she wouldn't have been referred to the hospital. Her big toenails curve upwards, that could be part of the problem. I just made the mistake of trying to find a picture of a similar toenail on google images. :o:o
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    ^^ I wouldn't worry I had half my big toe nail removed, still hasn't grown back after 18 or so years, and never will. I was walking around fine straight after, the relief from the pain was awesome. I took a pair of flip flops with me to wear after the op, but was wearing shoes the very next day.
  • Options
    callmedivacallmediva Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you have 3 options

The V shape cut is the easiest but least likely to work
    Go to your GP and if they have a minor surgery dept, they could cut down the side of the nail on the side that's growing in. I had that done on both big toes when I was a kid, it worked on the left, but the right is still bad
    Go to your GP and get them to refer you to hospital where they can remove your nail. That's what they're about to do with me, i'm just waiting my appointment.
    Sometimes your GP could do it, but I have to go to hospital cos I'm on warferine
  • Options
    David MillsDavid Mills Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have had one before, it literally only bothered me for a day then I did the V cut and it grew out properly. I also sort of poked the bit that was growing in to bend it back a little to pull it up - bit but it worked and I wasn't bothered by it again. I'd definitely say do it, you have nothing to lose anyway once you cut it you can just leave the V and also try other things for the infection. I didn't have that but there recommendation here sound good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Toenail removal used to be the first step, my dad went through this a lot, ended up with nail roots removed.

I suffered on and off for a few years until I managed to get the edges grown out.

Once the edges are out it will heal OK.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    The trouble with the V cut is that it's not a quick fix. It takes time to work and most people understandably can't stand the pain while it grows out. But it's definitely a cure, provided you cut the nail "spatulate" (i.e., straight across) afterwards.
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you end up having to have it removed, always ask the surgeon if you can keep the nail.
    You can use it to make a memorial plectrum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    If it keeps causing problems you are perfectly eligible to be referred for NHS podiatry. They see loads of 'em. (I'm a podiatry student :) )

Thanks, wish I was more forceful with them, I'm just not that sort of person. Its like pulling teeth, they just hate referring, dunno whether its just my area or what cause my previous surgery was the same too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks all, i think by looking this time in comparison to all other times its ingrown, it looks like its ingrowing from the bottom of the nail weirdly rather than the top across if that makes any sense at all so am not sure if it will just grow out, I think it needs to be cut out first so fingers crossed drs will refer me coz with two children under two no cash is an understatement but as for once its sorted I will def cut a v to try to prevent further ingrowing toenails
  • Options
    ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    Mrs Bump wrote: »
    Thanks, wish I was more forceful with them, I'm just not that sort of person. Its like pulling teeth, they just hate referring, dunno whether its just my area or what cause my previous surgery was the same too.
    In my area NHS podiatry services are on a self-referral system. You don't need to be referred by a GP. You can get a referral form from the NHS area website and submit it yourself and they'll contact you to arrange an appointment for an assessment.