Options

Three inTouch is finally here

Comments

• Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Batch wrote: »
    Interesting. So you can power off, power on and continue to use without issue and without need of a mobile network to reprovision?

FWIW, I have a Nexus 4, and as above someone has a Nexus 5 with the same issue. I'm sure they will fix it pretty quickly.

Ah hang on....maybe not...

If I have wifi on, but a mobile signal it auto re-provisions. I see what you mean, I can't really easily test with no signal as my LG seems to correct any GSM only or other settings I change in the service menu. I understand what you mean now, I thought you meant it didn't re-provision after a reboot, but you mean and no mobile signal.

I get it, can't test it here though.
  • Options
    Carl_BoysCarl_Boys Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to using it, can they not allow the app to work when there's only 4g coverage also? Turn the power up on 4g so it works!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know everyone thinks 4G is on low power, I'm absolutely not convinced looking at the coverage area of the cells on the map.

Anyhow, I doubt they will be able to make it work over 4G but you never know. They would be better off releasing VoLTE, which may only be 6-12 months away, who knows.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just tried the app to test if root cloaking works, and I was able to provision successfully.

Have 3 opened up the app early? (I know it should be tomorrow)

I can call stuff too.
  • Options
    BatchBatch Posts: 3,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Ah hang on....maybe not...

If I have wifi on, but a mobile signal it auto re-provisions. I see what you mean, I can't really easily test with no signal as my LG seems to correct any GSM only or other settings I change in the service menu. I understand what you mean now, I thought you meant it didn't re-provision after a reboot, but you mean and no mobile signal.

I get it, can't test it here though.

Yeah it's not a problem when you have a signal, but given the app is for people with no signal....

Thankfully I can go outside and get a bar. That should be enough..
  • Options
    hybridtheoryhybridtheory Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi

It will be interesting to see how the app works for us iOS users from tomorrow.

I do have a question. If my gf was connected to WiFi and used the inTouch app to message or fone me and I wasn't connected to WiFi but had mobile signal. Would messages/fone calls come in via the normal apps or via the inTouch app?

Thanks

Baz
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi

It will be interesting to see how the app works for us iOS users from tomorrow.

I do have a question. If my gf was connected to WiFi and used the inTouch app to message or fone me and I wasn't connected to WiFi but had mobile signal. Would messages/fone calls come in via the normal apps or via the inTouch app?

Thanks

Baz

The app sends it as an SMS so it would come through as a normal text.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The app sends it as an SMS so it would come through as a normal text.

HI

Ok cool, thx for that :-) I guess it would be the same for fone calls?

Baz
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, if you just think of the wifi connection being like your mobile connection when you have the app open then that's how it works. If you don't have the app open, but you have mobile signal then your texts and calls will come through on that.

You are connected to the mobile network via the app over wifi. You must have a good wifi signal though, otherwise you'll hear a warning sound that that I can only describe as a quick "whop whop whop", telling you that the wifi connection is poor, and your call will break up, and sound very bad.
  • Options
    Prof-xProf-x Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    Eager to see how wifi calling performs. I do Skype calling and the wifi is so congested in one place I call from it's impossible to call

I assume it cannot handover eg if you have wifi and had signal comes back, say if you go outside and the signal is ok outdoors and you loose wifi.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, if you just think of the wifi connection being like your mobile connection when you have the app open then that's how it works. If you don't have the app open, but you have mobile signal then your texts and calls will come through on that.

You are connected to the mobile network via the app over wifi. You must have a good wifi signal though, otherwise you'll hear a warning sound that that I can only describe as a quick "whop whop whop", telling you that the wifi connection is poor, and your call will break up, and sound very bad.

Hi

What happens if both myself and my gf r connected to WiFi, she uses the inTouch app to message or fone me and I don't have the inTouch app open?

Thanks

Baz
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi

What happens if both myself and my gf r connected to WiFi, she uses the inTouch app to message or fone me and I don't have the inTouch app open?

Thanks

Baz

As long as you have mobile signal it will come through the network, but if you do have the app open and wifi it comes through the app. Basically the app isn't required, even for people to send you messages from their Three InTouch app.

If the app is up and running it uses the app, if not it uses the network as long as there's coverage, and that applies to both sides.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Prof-x wrote: »
    Eager to see how wifi calling performs. I do Skype calling and the wifi is so congested in one place I call from it's impossible to call

I assume it cannot handover eg if you have wifi and had signal comes back, say if you go outside and the signal is ok outdoors and you loose wifi.

If anything the app will be more fussy than Skype, as the Skype protocol is really smart.. A poor wifi will result in very poor call quality on Three InTouch. The app is just using the SIP protocol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As long as you have mobile signal it will come through the network, but if you do have the app open and wifi it comes through the app. Basically the app isn't required, even for people to send you messages from their Three InTouch app.

If the app is up and running it uses the app, if not it uses the network as long as there's coverage, and that applies to both sides.

Hi

Ok, I thought it might work a bit like Whats App or Viber where the message comes through the app, even if its closed.

Thanks

Baz
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,609
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    It'll be active tomorrow. See posts above.

It's active now, downloaded the iOS version and it activated straight away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi

Ok, I thought it might work a bit like Whats App or Viber where the message comes through the app, even if its closed.

Thanks

Baz

No, but you don't have to have the app foregrounded to receive messages. It'll run happily in the background like What's app or Viber and only alert you when you have a message.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, but you don't have to have the app foregrounded to receive messages. It'll run happily in the background like What's app or Viber and only alert you when you have a message.

Hi

Yeah but if its running in the background wont it also reduce my battery life? Im a bit OCD and like to have all my apps closed to get the most out of my battery life lol.

Baz
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi

Yeah but if its running in the background wont it also reduce my battery life? Im a bit OCD and like to have all my apps closed to get the most out of my battery life lol.

Baz

Virtually nothing as the app doesn't keep the phone awake or send and receive data, it opens a connection which it leaves open and then just waits for contact, no data is sent unless you get a call or text. It should hardly use any battery at all. but the app is not needed if you don't have signal issues. You get to choose which wifi networks the app becomes active on, so that it only kicks in when you're in the areas with that wifi hotspot where you might have poor signal.

If you have What'sapp something is still running for the app to be able to work, even though you've closed it, they'll still be a service running if it's popping up with new messages.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Virtually nothing as the app doesn't keep the phone awake or send and receive data, it opens a connection which it leaves open and then just waits for contact, no data is sent unless you get a call or text. It should hardly use any battery at all. but the app is not needed if you don't have signal issues. You get to choose which wifi networks the app becomes active on, so that it only kicks in when you're in the areas with that wifi hotspot where you might have poor signal.

If you have What'sapp something is still running for the app to be able to work, even though you've closed it, they'll still be a service running if it's popping up with new messages.

Hi

Thx again :-) Im looking forward to activating the app tomorrow :-) I hope they activate the app nice and early and don't keep us waiting all day lol.

Baz
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,609
    Forum Member
    Im looking forward to activating the app tomorrow :-) I hope they activate the app nice and early and don't keep us waiting all day lol.

Baz

Did you miss my earlier post?

The app has been active since at least 9pm yesterday...
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d123 wrote: »

For some maybe, but not all. May well be another case of having to provision every user individually (like 4G access) and so the official launch/announcement will only come when all completed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 490
    Forum Member

I still can't get it to activate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hi

Yeah I had missed ur post earlier lol. I just tried to activate it, still not active for me :-( Hopefully later today.

Baz
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    I just tried to activate it, still not active for me :-( Hopefully later today.

Baz

You're not alone Baz.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    For some maybe, but not all. May well be another case of having to provision every user individually (like 4G access) and so the official launch/announcement will only come when all completed.

Hi

I hope that won't be the case :-( If it is I guess I can wait, Ive already waited this long lol.

Baz