Options

Renting - Gas safety Certificate

mlc2009mlc2009 Posts: 281
Forum Member
Hi All,
Moved into an upstairs flat. Tenant company advised I should get a gas safety certificate and organised an engineer, I could make the appointment both times as I was not in so the engineer has charged me £40 for a callout charge. I have a very busy schedule during the day, I'm under impression the gas safety certificate should of been organised before I moved in, can anyone advise?

Comments

• Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is it the landlords responsibility to do this, not yours.
    however, if you had arranged the appointment and missed it then that is your fault, not the landlords.

the agent should not have advised you to get it done, they should have taken responsibility to get it done - and it legally needs done annually.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    is it the landlords responsibility to do this, not yours.
    however, if you had arranged the appointment and missed it then that is your fault, not the landlords.

the agent should not have advised you to get it done, they should have taken responsibility to get it done - and it legally needs done annually.

well I have a busy schedule during the day, and this is first time I have moved into a flat on my own, the gas isnt even switched on yet and I didn't realise this so had to cancel the appointment
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mlc2009 wrote: »
    well I have a busy schedule during the day, and this is first time I have moved into a flat on my own, the gas isnt even switched on yet and I didn't realise this so had to cancel the appointment

gas will need to be on for the safety check to be done.
    you need to allow it to be done.

either by you making yourself available or giving the agent access when you are out.

it's only your life at stake if you don't allow it to take place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gas will need to be on for the safety check to be done.
    you need to allow it to be done.

either by you making yourself available or giving the agent access when you are out.

it's only your life at stake if you don't allow it to take place.

of course I will be getting this done, I just wasnt happy that letting agent sent me a quite nasty email saying that I missed the appointment, which was uncalled for. I had no idea the gas had to be on and that takes time, there was no provider attached when I moved in
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    of course I will be getting this done, I just wasnt happy that letting agent sent me a quite nasty email saying that I missed the appointment, which was uncalled for. I had no idea the gas had to be on and that takes time, there was no provider attached when I moved in

they will keep bugging you, and rightly so.
    they bound by law to ensure it is carried out, and they are the ones that will go to jail should anything serious happen and safety check is overdue.
    they can, and will force entry if needs must (commonly known in the business as a "kick in").

and think about it, how can a gas appliance be checked for compliance if there is no gas supply!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Far as I'm aware your not allowed to rent property without this in place?
    Was there a cross over date when you moved in, I mean did it run out while you were in the process of moving?
    Ask to see the previous certificate and check the date.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Far as I'm aware your not allowed to rent property without this in place?
    Was there a cross over date when you moved in, I mean did it run out while you were in the process of moving?
    Ask to see the previous certificate and check the date.

unless the gas has been capped, in which case it would only need it when the gas was re-instated.

the flat may have been empty for a while with the gas turned off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unless the gas has been capped, in which case it would only need it when the gas was re-instated.

the flat may have been empty for a while with the gas turned off.
    For my insurance as a landlord I have to have a current gas certificate, if it was capped and people moved in I have to have a certificate from that date they moved in. Not after or any where in between.
    I don't know if it varies anywhere but, capping isn't acceptable on my own insurance.
    Obviously if the house was all electric it doesn't matter.
  • Options
    JackKlugmanJackKlugman Posts: 5,362
    Forum Member
    Its the landlords responsibility not yours. Dont pay for it
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe that they shouldn't have let the property without a valid safety certificate in place. it should have been done before you moved in (unless it expired after you moved in).
  • Options
    newda898newda898 Posts: 5,466
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't have moved in until I'd seen the certificate, let alone have them telling me to sort it out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LakieLady wrote: »
    I believe that they shouldn't have let the property without a valid safety certificate in place. it should have been done before you moved in (unless it expired after you moved in).

if there is no gas supply then it can't be done until the gas has been reconnected, and that would be done by the tenant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi All,
    Moved into an upstairs flat. Tenant company advised I should get a gas safety certificate and organised an engineer, I could make the appointment both times as I was not in so the engineer has charged me £40 for a callout charge. I have a very busy schedule during the day, I'm under impression the gas safety certificate should of been organised before I moved in, can anyone advise?
    Can you confirm was there gas available when you moved in?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can you confirm was there gas available when you moved in?

No Gas, electric though.. I rang national grid and they said there is no provider or something like that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No Gas, electric though.. I rang national grid and they said there is no provider or something like that

you need to get gas supply sorted and then have the boiler checked.
    boulder should not be turned on until the check has been completed.
  • Options
    GPWGPW Posts: 3,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a reminder - this is a yearly check requirement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    you need to get gas supply sorted and then have the boiler checked.
    boulder should not be turned on until the check has been completed.

there is no running hot water, luckily I have not fully moved in yet. I think the electric is connected to the downstairs flat but I may be wrong, its on and im not paying for it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there is no running hot water, luckily I have not fully moved in yet. I think the electric is connected to the downstairs flat but I may be wrong, its on and im not paying for it
    If you haven't moved in then the agents can sort this out?
    They hold spare keys.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

hot water will be supplied by the gas boiler.
    and you need a gas supply for that, and then the boiler to be safety checked.

electric - you sure you don't have a pre-pay key meter ?
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member

Is there a gas meter at all in the property.
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hot water will be supplied by the gas boiler.
    and you need a gas supply for that, and then the boiler to be safety checked.

electric - you sure you don't have a pre-pay key meter ?

How do you know that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tim59 wrote: »
    Is there a gas meter at all in the property.

Yes there is a gas meter, there is also a boiler
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really don't understand any of this, in order to rent out a property you have to make sure all the amenities are working, which means they have to be checked.
    You can't just say the gas is off, if you move in and then try and get a certificate and the boiler is buggered then you have rented a property not fit for purpose.
    Did you go through an agency or is it private rent?
    As a side note, I have never been able to get gas supply capped unless it's failed its test.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Yes there is a gas meter, there is also a boiler

Is it a normal meter or a prepayment meter
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds to me like both the landlord and the agency are some sort of joint Dog n Pony Show.

OP I hope you're not paying rent for a property that does not have all the proper amenities in place.