Options

Giving presents to siblings on birthdays

bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
Forum Member
✭✭
Does anyone else do this? as I have a friend who gives her eldest a present on her youngest's birthday and vice versa. So they do not feel left out, personally I do not agree with this. As it is only setting them up for further trouble down the lline. My two know that their birthdays is their special day and they accept that the other one does not get a present because it's their brothers/sisters day.

Looking online it does seem that there are a lot of people who do this. My friend says she does it to stop a major temper tanturm spoiling the birthdays.

Christmas is different of course they understand they both get presents that day.

Comments

• Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never occurred to me to do it, mine have never begrudged the others having their own birthdays and presents. Sounds like a slight failure in parenting as children should be able to understand fairly early on they don't get everything they want.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd never do this personally, never seen the need. I kind of have the opinion that if you have a kid who can't get through their brother or sister's birthday without throwing a tantrum because they aren't getting a present as well, then you have a kid who is a spoilt brat.

On a similar note, we've just had a new baby. A couple of friends, as well as sending a present for the newborn, sent a little something for my two other kids as well. Nice touch I thought - though not expected or necessary.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That practice has to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard. My sister has 6 of her own and she couldn't afford to buy a set of presents for one of the kids and then another consolatory 5

The point of a birthday is it is that one persons day to feel special. Especially for kids!
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

On a similar note, we've just had a new baby. A couple of friends, as well as sending a present for the newborn, sent a little something for my two other kids as well. Nice touch I thought - though not expected or necessary.

I have done that as well, I also make a fuss of the older child when visiting the newborn one.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always did this with my nephews when they were todlers. Big present for the birthday boy, smaller present for the other.
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd never do this personally, never seen the need. I kind of have the opinion that if you have a kid who can't get through their brother or sister's birthday without throwing a tantrum because they aren't getting a present as well, then you have a kid who is a spoilt brat.

Quite.

The whole point of a birthday is for it to be a special day for the kid with the birthday. Though it's usually tough luck if you get a birthday too close to christmas, my sister always felt hard done to because of this :)
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't agree with it.

I also don't agree with people who have birthday party's having to buy people who are invited presents also, My cousin does this, she has 3 children and a 4th on the way, barely has a penny to scrape together.

But says she has to buy presents for those coming because the others will be left out, well it isn't there bloody birthday
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We always had "jealousy presents" when we were little, and I get them for my two now. IMO it makes everyone's birthday something to look forward to, so everyone enjoys the birthday even more. :)
    "Failure in parenting"? LOL. What ridiculous hyperbole.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have done it when mine were small. However, the eldest has Asperger's so I wasn't avoiding a tantrum but a full scale meltdown. It would be a small thing only. It was stopped as soon as he was old enough to be told why and to start to learn to be happy for others.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deb Arkle wrote: »
    We always had "jealousy presents" when we were little, and I get them for my two now. IMO it makes everyone's birthday something to look forward to, so everyone enjoys the birthday even more. :)

Never said failure in parenting
  • Options
    Jamie_BradleyJamie_Bradley Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    I have never done this nore would I.

Birthdays in my family are a great family occasion with perhaps a party, or a meal out for all our children. The birthday boy/girl gets their presents and is the center of the day. Thankfully my children love eachother dearly and really enjoy birthdays of their own or their siblings.

If your children cannot cope with a brother or sister having birthday presents without the need for a "jealousy" present then your parenting is not up to par. Were you mad with jealousy when your siblings recieved a birthday gift?

We ways buy a birthday gift on behalf of our children to present to their sibling if they have not made one to give, an they find a lot of happiness and pleasure giving that gift.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have said Failure in Parenting, just don't understand about presents for everyone
    It wasn't you who said it, Jazzy. :)
    I've always really enjoyed birthdays, perhaps because of the jealousy prezzy, perhaps just because - I still get excited over them!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cousin has to have the party at McDonalds, or Soft play.

What happened to party's that consisted off, Sausages on Sticks, Cheese & Pineapple, Sausage Rolls, Sandwiches, Jelly and Ice Cream, Cake.

Parce the Parcel, and Music which you had recorded from the Top 49 chart
  • Options
    Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That’s ridiculous! When it was my brother’s birthday as a child, yes I might have been a bit jealous of his presents but I always had the celebration meal/party/whatever to look forward to and fundamentally I understood that I got the same treatment on my birthday.

This seems to come from the same style of parenting that advocates prizes for all, no one can be disappointed or display any negative emotion, buying kids things they want to avoid “a scene” because it’s more convenient, avoiding the social lessons the child needs to learn such as dealing with jealousy and disappointment because it’s easier to get them to shut up their moaning than think long-term about the child’s development.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was an only child, so I wouldn't now what it would be like to miss out
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never said failure in parenting

I said it because children have to learn early as possible they need to share and not expect everything to be about them, spoiling a child IMO is a failure in parenting. Not preparing them for the outside world where not everything will be geared to giving them a treat when someone else has one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    I said it because children have to learn early as possible they need to share and not expect everything to be about them, spoiling a child IMO is a failure in parenting. Not preparing them for the outside world where not everything will be geared to giving them a treat when someone else has one.

Which is true, everything has to be PC these days
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Odd that it never affected my sisters & I adversely, nor any of our children. I hadn't realised we were all so maladjusted. :confused:
  • Options
    Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »

That reminds me of this blogpost I've seen some friends sharing on facebook recently - essentially the blog writer is teaching her kids *not* to share:

http://www.sunnyskyz.com/blog/365/This-Mom-Perfectly-Explains-Why-She-Does-Not-Teach-Her-Kids-To-Share#z4FLHmE0fbJ7lS6r.01

Utterly ridiculous, in my opinion.
  • Options
    bobgobbobgob Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why would you want to encourage jealousy between your kids?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Encourage jealousy? What the hell are you drinking?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Odd that it never affected my sisters & I adversely, nor any of our children. I hadn't realised we were all so maladjusted. :confused:

Sometimes, and I am an example of it too, people turn out fine despite their parents, but why encourage bad parenting is all I am saying really. When some things can so easily be done better.

Always willing to learn myself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me too - but just because some do things differently to you, does not automatically place them in the wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too - but just because some do things differently to you, does not automatically place them in the wrong.

I don't think I actually said that anyway, if I am willing to learn that makes a mockery of the idea I think everything I do is right surely ?
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely ridiculous idea. Whatever next?