Options

Chris Evans to take over Radio 2 Drivetime (merged)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,585
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Chris Evans has been tipped to replace Johnnie Walker on the Radio 2 Drivetime show.

http://media.guardian.co.uk/radio/story/0,,1720128,00.html

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    Why?
    He was brekkie show presenter already on bbc radio,why should this guy be given another chance,when there are several others who should be considered for the position moreso than Evans.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You thread title is a tad misleading isn't it? Surely it should be changed to read "Chris Evans tipped to take over ...."
  • Options
    iain_smithiain_smith Posts: 1,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dont tell anyone i told you this,but Ive put a bit of money on Dermot O'Leary to succeed Walker on drivetime
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your secret is safe with me ...... ;)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They also think Stuart Maconie is in the running, but I reckon it'll go to Chris Evans if he wants it. Just think of the column inches Radio 2 will get by appointing him.

I wonder how long it'll be before he asks for Fridays off :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westward wrote:
    I wonder how long it'll be before he asks for Fridays off :)
    and fails to turn up on a Monday because he's been on a bender .... :D
  • Options
    Mike WestMike West Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    Chris Evans has been tipped to replace Johnnie Walker on the Radio 2 Drivetime show.

NO!!!!!!! Please, Oh God! what a thought, how can this man step in Johnnie's shoes. More egotistical rantings from the mouth almighty - just when you thought it was safe to turn the radio back on :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was inevitable Evans' name would be mentioned for a high profile slot such as R2 drivetime.
    Dermot O'Leary would be a good choice, but does he really fit into the R2 weekday audience profile? He seems better suited to R1. I'd rather listen to him than Evans, who really hasn't moved on from 10 years ago.
    If Evans did get the gig, he could then inevitably be tipped to take over breakfast when Wogan retires.
    Just think of it Moyles on R1 & Evans on R2!
  • Options
    plasma-screenplasma-screen Posts: 2,966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dynamoe88 wrote:

:D lol @ you!

its a sure ratings winner

cannot wait

chris needs a more challenging slot after the dire ITV sunday night thingy

;)
  • Options
    jack pattersonjack patterson Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cant Evans just go away and spend his money?

What exactly did Scottish Media get when they paid him 75 million?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always thought Jonathan Ross was favourite for the breakfast slot.

Both of Chris Evans' jobs on national breakfast radio (Radio 1 & Virgin) ended controversially. I wonder if the BBC will again allow him to do a show where he has to get up early!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Westward wrote:

That probably sounds like a better choice, Johnathon Ross is Dire on the Telly but sometimes entertaining on radio
  • Options
    plasma-screenplasma-screen Posts: 2,966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westward wrote:

Both of Chris Evans' jobs on national breakfast radio (Radio 1 & Virgin) ended controversially. I wonder if the BBC will again allow him to do a show where he has to get up early!

are we not talking here of Mr Evans taking over drivetime??

:confused:
  • Options
    trickymahoniatrickymahonia Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    Sad to see Johnnie going, didn't know that.

A safe pair of hands would be Stuart, but his radio delivery i find a bit amateur, crashing intro's and cheesy talk with Sally.

I don't think Chris would really be interested doing the show with the current features, finance at 5.30 etc etc, and some of the interviews are hardly star names.

If he does take it, Chris that is, the show will be virtually unrecognisable.

I can't think who they will give it to.
    What show is Johnnie taking, perhaps Steve Wright will now only need to work 5 days a week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The general feeling is that he will probably get Ed Stewart's slot (5-7pm), but I agree with you that 9-11am would be good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be disappointed if Evans moved to daytime he's brightened up many Sunday afternoons since he returned and how exactly am I supposed to choose between Lamacq and Evans, bah schedulers today!

Anyway I'm quite sceptical it's pretty much written a certainty that Evans could have any slot he wanted on Radio 2, or infact pretty much any commercial station so why would he want to move to a weekday slot now?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dynamoe88 wrote:
    If Evans did get the gig, he could then inevitably be tipped to take over breakfast when Wogan retires.

Can't ever see that happening. Two jocks on very different networks who will both be trying to get the same slice of the audience. No way.

Can't see him getting drive either, well I hope not. Don't rate Dermot or Stuart Maconie either.

My choice would be Mark Goodier, a fine broadcaster indeed.
  • Options
    Crunch & RollCrunch & Roll Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why?
    He was brekkie show presenter already on bbc radio,why should this guy be given another chance,when there are several others who should be considered for the position moreso than Evans.

He should be given another chance because he's bloody good and even on the days when he isn't really trying he can still deliver a show thats streets ahead of a lot of others, thats why.

There are several others being considered i'm sure but I hope Evans gets the gig because i'll actually be able to listen to Radio after 5pm again, can't stand it at the moment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If...and I say IF the stupid,ego maniac gets the Drive show,it will totallly undo ALL the good work that bosses at Radio 2 have put in to make the station the success it is today.

The listening figures would plummet for that particluar slot,and maybe for other points of the stations output during the day.I personally would not tune in to listen to any show "presented" by that idiot....see I can not even type his name without my teeth gritting and blood boiling. :mad:

If "it" must come back into Radio,then the graveyard shift on some small outpost backwater ILR,would be right up his street...a bit like Partridge on Radio Norwich

I will be sad to see J.W go....but as other posters have said,surley some quality names other than Carrot Top are lined up for the slot......Richard Allinson maybe ??????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Radio Lion wrote:
    If...and I say IF the stupid,ego maniac gets the Drive show,it will totallly undo ALL the good work that bosses at Radio 2 have put in to make the station the success it is today.

If "it" must come back into Radio,then the graveyard shift on some small outpost backwater ILR,would be right up his street...a bit like Partridge on Radio Norwich

Here, Here totally agree on the undoing of all the good work at R2 over the years.

Steady though, Radio Norwich is now a Real Station, surely you would not wish such a evil thing on people who live in Norwich. Having that load mouthed, over bloated head on your local radio is enough to make you want to emmigrate!

Stick him back on the telly selling 'Buttoneers' from Ronco or whatever to the gullable on 'Bootsale Bid TV ' or whatever them shopping channels are called nowadays, right up his street for someone who sounds like a barrow boy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it's just me who think's he's the best thing on the station perhaps on radio at this moment then?

Your loss.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, i will confess, I don't listen to radio two, however I do think Chris Evans for the drive time slot would be great for them. It obvious that the weekend (Saturday) are an much more appealing to those younger viewers which Radio Two now targets. If it want to get those who 10 years ago were in their mid twenties listing to Chris Evens on Radio One, then what better way than to get Chris doing one of the flagship primetime shows at radio two. He would probably attract listens to Radio Two who would never listen to Radio Two at any other time, because they don't think it appeals to them, however if they then stay with Radio Two for other show, then it benefits Radio Two no end with higher listeners.

Lets face it, all station every five of ten year do need to go through some revolution change to appeal to the new viewer entering their target range. Radio One did this in the 90s when it got an lot of attention, but also did it again around 02 - 04 where it change key part of it schedule to appeal to younger viewer, now it listening figures are back of the rise. Radio Two has big revolution around 8 or 9 year ago, it will need to have another one soon to try and attract the new viewers coming into it target range.
  • Options
    RadioJohnRadioJohn Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MH1 wrote:
    Sorry, i will confess, I don't listen to radio two, however I do think Chris Evans for the drive time slot would be great for them. It obvious that the weekend (Saturday) are an much more appealing to those younger viewers which Radio Two now targets. If it want to get those who 10 years ago were in their mid twenties listing to Chris Evens on Radio One, then what better way than to get Chris doing one of the flagship primetime shows at radio two. He would probably attract listens to Radio Two who would never listen to Radio Two at any other time, because they don't think it appeals to them, however if they then stay with Radio Two for other show, then it benefits Radio Two no end with higher listeners.

Lets face it, all station every five of ten year do need to go through some revolution change to appeal to the new viewer entering their target range. Radio One did this in the 90s when it got an lot of attention, but also did it again around 02 - 04 where it change key part of it schedule to appeal to younger viewer, now it listening figures are back of the rise. Radio Two has big revolution around 8 or 9 year ago, it will need to have another one soon to try and attract the new viewers coming into it target range.

Why do you keep referring to a Radio Listener as a Viewer??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    It seems there an awful lot of bitter people posting on this thread.
    I had the pleasure of meeting Evans a couple of months ago at Radio 2 on a Saturday afternoon and he was a top guy.
    Seemed totally different to the days of the hell raiser asking for Fridays off and not turning up after benders.
    Obviously the bloke has an ego but can you tell me of a DJ on network radio who hasn't?
    In my opinion Richard Allinson is too bland for a regular weekday slot, Stuart Maconie is good as a stand in but doesn't have an awful lot to say apart from linking the tunes when he's on, Mark Goodier should be a contender, Jonathan Ross is doing too much TV for the BBC and is already giving up They Think It's All Over 'cos he's too busy and don't even think of Dermot O'Leary.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are presenters on other BBC channels who might be worth considering for the teatime show. Nicky "Edelweiss" Campbell and Simon Mayo, f'rinstance, could get bigger audiences on R2 than in their current gigs.