Options

Peter Andre (part 3)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kat_12 wrote: »
    Yes to the BIB. I've seen this claimed about Andre before, but there's no evidence of it that I can see. I've never seen him praised by anyone in the industry that I would consider a legitimate celebrity, or whose opinion I would respect frankly. I've only ever seen complimentary things said by current or former CAN colleagues, which are so blatantly scripted it's hilarious. He's roundly mocked in the business otherwise, on the rare occasions anybody remembers he even exists - see David Walliams' recent comments, Greg Davies infamous impression of him on Mock the Week, and him being publicly compared to herpes on Never Mind the Buzzcocks (harsh but funny).

As for his fans, well of course they'd like him. Personally, I find the way he conducts himself towards others (on TV at least), as extremely over-familiar and patronising. But people seem to like that sort of thing nowadays - I've noticed it in real life as well. All that touchy-feely, insincere stuff. Urgh.

So? What's to say about it? It's nice of him, but hardly makes him Mother Teresa, does it? Most celebrities do those sorts of visits but without as much fanfare and self-congratulation. As said above, Johnny Depp visited a school to see a fan, and has visited GOSH, with no newspaper reporters in tow. Christian Bale visited the victims of the Aurora shootings, which we only know about because some people he met tweeted about it. Same as when Tom Hardy and Charlotte Riley (his fiancée, also an excellent actress) visited a fan of his who was very ill. They also visited a hospice on Christmas Day to see the children, which again we only know about thanks to some of the nurses posting a pic on Twitter.

No, but given that's he's regaled the world with his sexual techniques, health problems, children's parents evenings, and even visits to his brother's graveside, I sincerely doubt it.

Excellent post
  • Options
    sionnaighsionnaigh Posts: 1,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    For example, Johnny Depp who managed to visit GOSH, make a donation rumoured to be £1m and also visited a school in Greenwich dressed as Jack Sparrow and yet these stories only got out when parents revealed what had happened.

Now THAT is a true star

Am a HUGE Johnny Depp fan (be still my beating heart). As for Peter Andre? Meh. Not 'for' or 'against'.

For balance though - IF stories about PA "only got out when parents revealed what had happened" some might say that CAN 'dropped a hint' to parents about letting the papers know - maybe? It's taken as read for people we like that, in the main, their gestures are purely philanthropic and they probably are, I wouldn't say otherwise. For people we DON'T like, we look for the 'angle'. We look for the 'catch'. We look for the 'ulterior motive'. It's the way of the world. It's in our nature.

Those we look favourably on can, mainly, do no wrong. Those we dislike can, in the main, do no right. We're wired that way. We make a judgement on someone fairly quickly and rarely, very rarely, change our mind.

Some 'celebrities' make it all too easy though - granted. No names. No pack drill :D
  • Options
    sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sionnaigh wrote: »
    Am a HUGE Johnny Depp fan (be still my beating heart). As for Peter Andre? Meh. Not 'for' or 'against'.

For balance though - IF stories about PA "only got out when parents revealed what had happened" some might say that CAN 'dropped a hint' to parents about letting the papers know - maybe? It's taken as read for people we like that, in the main, their gestures are purely philanthropic and they probably are, I wouldn't say otherwise. For people we DON'T like, we look for the 'angle'. We look for the 'catch'. We look for the 'ulterior motive'. It's the way of the world. It's in our nature.

Those we look favourably on can, mainly, do no wrong. Those we dislike can, in the main, do no right. We're wired that way. We make a judgement on someone fairly quickly and rarely, very rarely, change our mind.

Some 'celebrities' make it all too easy though - granted. No names. No pack drill :D

I disagree, if that man could hold a press conference for everytime he broke wind, he would do
  • Options
    sionnaighsionnaigh Posts: 1,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scone wrote: »
    I disagree, if that man could hold a press conference for everytime he broke wind, he would do

Q.E.D ? :)
  • Options
    NotaTypoNotaTypo Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liz G-S wrote: »
    There are many such articles - I almost posted one about a visit to a children's hospice a while ago, which included a really good video from Pete, where he found exactly the right words - but thought better of it!
    And then there's the visits where he finds exactly the right pose. Cheesus laying on of hands. Never saw a publicity opportunity he didn't like. And then you have proper famous people turning up, unannounced, without an entourage of media to record the good deeds to show the readers of ok/closer/take a break/reveal just how generous and altruistic they are with their time, spending hours visiting with children and their families.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Q.E.D ? :)

What?
  • Options
    sidsgirlsidsgirl Posts: 4,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well said. good post.

As for JD Doubt there are many that don't like him. :cool:
  • Options
    real worldreal world Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    NotaTypo wrote: »
    And then there's the visits where he finds exactly the right pose. Cheesus laying on of hands. Never saw a publicity opportunity he didn't like. And then you have proper famous people turning up, unannounced, without an entourage of media to record the good deeds to show the readers of ok/closer/take a break/reveal just how generous and altruistic they are with their time, spending hours visiting with children and their families.

Wondered when the bile would start, it was in the local newspaper not a magazine. Where I live if someone well known turned up, the local newspaper would cover it too.
  • Options
    HmmbopHmmbop Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    real world wrote: »
    Wondered when the bile would start, it was in the local newspaper not a magazine. Where I live if someone well known turned up, the local newspaper would cover it too.

Of course CAN wouldn't have let the paper know TM was in the vicinity?!;-)

And it's not 'bile' it's another FM opinion, just because you have a differing view, doesn't make the other FM opinion any less valid, nor does it make it bile.

You need to stop attacking other FM pov. It's becoming very tedious.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where I live, local newspapers wouldn't be allowed the run of the hospital looking for self-serving publicity seekers.

This isn't someone quietly slipping in for a visit. This is a z-lister, bringing a camera crew and a pre-written press release to capture just how good he is to take time out of his busy day to visit the little people. These sorts of visits are more for the benefit of the publicity seeker than the patients.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I do agree there is a lot of truth in that but I do also stand by the fact that some ensure they keep in the public eye by ensuring a camera crew is tipped off every time they leave the house.
    It would be lovely if, for once, we did hear that someone like PA, KP and that ilk did do something purely out of the goodness of their hearts with absolutely no ulterior motive and I, for one, would definitely give credit where credit was due (reluctantly ;-))

I am someone who did actually like PA. I voted for him in IAC (only after Lydon left), always thought he was too good for KP and was 100% Team Pete after the split. I went off him slowly but surely when I started to see what I feel are his true colours and so, I would disagree that we do always make a judgement and rarely change our minds. I definitely spend a long time weighing people up before I decide my opinion on them both with those I meet and those I see on my screens or in my paper.

I honestly think it is possible for celebrities to have almost completely private lives and to do good things without publicity if they really want to, and therein lies the rub - they have to want to do stuff off camera and I don't think many of the z list want to breath off camera. Why on earth would someone like PA or KP do something that makes them look good without a camera crew?
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where I live, local newspapers wouldn't be allowed the run of the hospital looking for self-serving publicity seekers.

This isn't someone quietly slipping in for a visit. This is a z-lister, bringing a camera crew and a pre-written press release to capture just how good he is to take time out of his busy day to visit the little people. These sorts of visits are more for the benefit of the publicity seeker than the patients.

Not everyones cup of tea but, a few years ago, Russell Brand turned up at my friends son's school play because his drivers daughter is in the same class. He sat and watched the play almost unnoticed. Then, after it had finished, he chatted for a couple of hours to the kids and parents and the only photos were ones taken on peoples mobiles. The press only got to hear about it when the parents sent pics to the local paper and then the nationals picked up on the story.
    But, again, the difference between those who have a real career and those whose career is self promotion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    I do agree there is a lot of truth in that but I do also stand by the fact that some ensure they keep in the public eye by ensuring a camera crew is tipped off every time they leave the house.
    It would be lovely if, for once, we did hear that someone like PA, KP and that ilk did do something purely out of the goodness of their hearts with absolutely no ulterior motive and I, for one, would definitely give credit where credit was due (reluctantly ;-))

I am someone who did actually like PA. I voted for him in IAC (only after Lydon left), always thought he was too good for KP and was 100% Team Pete after the split. I went off him slowly but surely when I started to see what I feel are his true colours and so, I would disagree that we do always make a judgement and rarely change our minds. I definitely spend a long time weighing people up before I decide my opinion on them both with those I meet and those I see on my screens or in my paper.

I honestly think it is possible for celebrities to have almost completely private lives and to do good things without publicity if they really want to, and therein lies the rub - they have to want to do stuff off camera and I don't think many of the z list want to breath off camera. Why on earth would someone like PA or KP do something that makes them look good without a camera crew?

Well said, but you sure you don't want to throw some latin in :D
  • Options
    BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting that posters skip over the good stuff that he does.

That link you posted - http://www.eastgrinsteadcourier.co.uk/Peter-Andre-shares-intimate-dinner-date-charity/story-22018109-detail/story.html - not sure what's to praise there.

Isn't this the Prizeo winner, the competition organised and run by Prizeo which invited people to donate money towards the foundation in exchange for bracelets and packs of coffee and all the usual PA stuff? The competition prize was a dinner with PA.

Prizeo ran the competition, Ashdown Park donated the luxury day and dinner, all PA had to do was turn up and be nice. And be grateful for the support of his foundation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

^ Thing is, when you're as tabloid as PA is and have his history as regards self-promotion, then it's a struggle to separate the genuinely altruistic from the insincere showman.

I do think he's probably well intentioned as far as supporting various causes go but his constant blathering on about himself and bigging himself up does him no favours hence, cynicism re his motivation is the penalty he pays.
  • Options
    Kat_12Kat_12 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh God, that photograph. It makes me feel genuinely nauseous. It just screams insincerity.

Mind you, I feel similar about all the white saviour fools who go and cry at bemused children in Africa for Comic Relief, instead of contributing to causes which might actually make a difference to the poverty suffered in certain parts of the Continent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bela wrote: »
    That link you posted - http://www.eastgrinsteadcourier.co.uk/Peter-Andre-shares-intimate-dinner-date-charity/story-22018109-detail/story.html - not sure what's to praise there.

Isn't this the Prizeo winner, the competition organised and run by Prizeo which invited people to donate money towards the foundation in exchange for bracelets and packs of coffee and all the usual PA stuff? The competition prize was a dinner with PA.

Prizeo ran the competition, Ashdown Park donated the luxury day and dinner, all PA had to do was turn up and be nice. And be grateful for the support of his foundation.
    Three courses!! Soup and dessert. My ghast is truly flabbered at the opulence of it all.
    Ben Booker, General Manager at Ashdown Park Hotel & County Club, commented:

“I am so pleased that Danielle had a wonderful evening with Peter, he seemed like a lovely man and was the perfect gentleman. We pride ourselves on supporting as many charities as possible and we are delighted that this competition managed to raise vital funds for the Peter Andre Foundation supporting Cancer Research UK.”
    :confused:Seemed? Odd word to use. As for the "perfect gentleman" bit. Isn't that just hyperbole for "didn't do anything out of the ordinary" Did they expect him to behave otherwise? Spit in the salad? Grope his guests? Swear at babies? It's great that the prizewinners had a lovely time, but they had to do an awful lot more for the Peter Andre Foundation than Peter Andre himself.
    Kat_12 wrote: »
    Oh God, that photograph. It makes me feel genuinely nauseous. It just screams insincerity.

Mind you, I feel similar about all the white saviour fools who go and cry at bemused children in Africa for Comic Relief, instead of contributing to causes which might actually make a difference to the poverty suffered in certain parts of the Continent.
    Looks like he was auditioning for them. "See how I can "suffer" in front of a camera."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just saw that he is coming to a venue in my city. It is almost sold out and it isn't until October. tickets are £32.00 each, some are even £82.25 wow he has a lot of fans, shame it isn't the arena he is at, but would he be able to fill a 10,000 venue rather than the safer 2500 venue.

On the same evening, Ed Sheeran will be packing out the 10,000 capacity Arena up the road.

Sorry, I am bored :D
  • Options
    artlesschaosartlesschaos Posts: 11,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder how he amassed his 16 million dollars. Apparently he has sold 1.58 million records in the UK alone, of which 300k were for mysterious girl. So taking that our of the equation, somebody buys his music

By selling his private lives, his kids privacy and every relationship he has had since kp. By being a media ****.

Also, those record sales are total figures -

If you look on here he has only had two albums to last longer than 5 weeks in the charts - his first and his album after the split from Kp. The rest have struggled to stay in the chart for more than a couple of weeks.

The same with his singles - Mysterious Girl is by far his best selling single, and that has been released three times!

However much he wants to be, he is not a credible artist. Without the media whoring, he would be living with a girlfriend somewhere, whinging.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would like to point out here that One Direction have sold 4 million copies of their album Midnight Memories within it's first five weeks :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liz G-S wrote: »
    Hmmbop wrote: »

I don't think he is fading, quite the opposite - of course he isn't a top star, he is far from it and never will be one, but he is still doing well. He is busy, seems to be working non-stop. His businesses are doing well. How many records he sells isn't that relevant - as long as he sells tickets for his concerts there is no need to give up his music. You may not like 60 Minute Makeover, but it is an ITV I show and he seems to be doing well in it. I am not sure why people here put down every little thing he does.
    He is well-liked by his colleagues and the people behind the scenes - that goes a long way and probably helps bring him work.

People say what a nice guy he is, not sure that is the same as being well-liked. I wonder how many of them approve of the wholesale whoring of his family in order for him to get the many opportunities he has had (and many, subsequently lost due to his basic lack of talent)?

I put done that crap he does when it is crap. I put him down as a liar and a media **** because that is what he is. I dispute the "nice guy trying to make a living" because he does it through selling his family and apparently he is rich enough not to have to make that choice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three courses!! Soup and dessert. My ghast is truly flabbered at the opulence of it all.

:confused:Seemed? Odd word to use. As for the "perfect gentleman" bit. Isn't that just hyperbole for "didn't do anything out of the ordinary" Did they expect him to behave otherwise? Spit in the salad? Grope his guests? Swear at babies? It's great that the prizewinners had a lovely time, but they had to do an awful lot more for the Peter Andre Foundation than Peter Andre himself.

Exactly my point, Nota. Why on earth should PA be praised for this since of all the parties involved here, he did the absolute least.

I wonder how much the Prizeo competition raised?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jerrybob wrote: »

I agree. People seem obsessed with concentrating on his music and how badly his albums sell. He admits music is not his main priority. He's carved out a very nice career in TV (his 60 min makeover programme for ITV1 has been so successful it has recently been sold to Oz). He's just about to expand his New York Coffee Shop business. And I agree with you - he is well-liked and respected by both his colleagues and his fans.
    (Quotes all gone to pot.....I'm replying to the post by Liz)!

He says that after every flop. Before they flop he is all "Music is my first love and I am so happy to be going in this exciting new direction of pop/reggae/r&b/swing/death metal/folk/Hungarian Pipe Music/the comb and tissue paper...and I am going to be as big as *insert highly successful and very improbable name here*".

He burns with the desire to be more than the media **** he is. His mouth rights cheques his talents can't cash.
  • Options
    Azura's StarAzura's Star Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Absolutely.
    Strange how an internationally known actor as famous as Johnny Depp can manage numerous visits to schools and hospitals without it being found out until afterwards, whilst a z-list pipsqueak like Tangoman makes bloody certain everyone knows just how "charitable" he wants us to think he is.
    They do say that class will out, and in PA's case, his utter lack of it shines through every time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

People say what a nice guy he is, not sure that is the same as being well-liked. I wonder how many of them approve of the wholesale whoring of his family in order for him to get the many opportunities he has had (and many, subsequently lost due to his basic lack of talent)?

I put done that crap he does when it is crap. I put him down as a liar and a media **** because that is what he is. I dispute the "nice guy trying to make a living" because he does it through selling his family and apparently he is rich enough not to have to make that choice.

He's like ye old royalty :D
This discussion has been closed.