Options

Lampard to City for short loan

darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
Forum Member
✭✭
So Lampard leaves Chelsea for a move to the states, but ends up being loaned for a short spell back to a PL team. I know that the MLS starts later than the PL, but does seem odd.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/aug/01/frank-lampard-short-contract-manchester-city

Comments

• Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    when I saw this the first thought that popped into my head was could a team like man city with wealthy owners bypass FFP with buying players for their US franchise and then loaning them back to city

I know lampard's move isn't in that category but was just a random thought

edit : altho I wonder if man city would be paying any of his wages for the duration of the loan or NYC just continue paying him to keep them off man city's books
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Judging by the other night, they probably just want a reliable penalty taker...
  • Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is going to be strange :)
  • Options
    SuperTed_SuperTed_ Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    Lampard wants to stay in shape and play for a top club. Top club want an experienced and quality player who won't fuss about not being a starter.

Makes sense for both.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,112
    Forum Member
    It's not really that strange. Trying to keep a 36 year old fit for the best part of 9 months without playing wouldn't be very easy, so it suits everyone.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see him playing for City very often, if at all. it's just a way of keeping him fit and giving him something to do until the MSL season starts.
  • Options
    Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very understandable. Not odd if you think about it. It is to fill Man City's home grown quota, nothing more. Dont think a 36 year old Lampard is going to get much game time in a midfield consisting of Yaya, Fernandinho, Fernando, Milner etc. As good as he has been, he will maybe a couple of League Cup appearances at most. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if he actually never kicked a ball in competitive football for City. This is about fitness and training with players at a club that owns his new employers in New York.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,112
    Forum Member
    Very understandable. Not odd if you think about it. It is to fill Man City's home grown quota, nothing more. Dont think a 36 year old Lampard is going to get much game time in a midfield consisting of Yaya, Fernandinho, Fernando, Milner etc. As good as he has been, he will maybe a couple of League Cup appearances at most. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if he actually never kicked a ball in competitive football for City. This is about fitness and training with players at a club that owns his new employers in New York.

Your argument was a good one until you mentioned Milner.
  • Options
    U.R.CorrectU.R.Correct Posts: 1,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good experienced player to utilise from the bench in Europe

Seems like a good loan for both parties
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,460
    Forum Member
    Boosts their home grown squad numbers as well.

Good signing - bet he scores the winner against Chelsea and Jose goes off on one.
  • Options
    Skyclaw726Skyclaw726 Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's because the MLS team Lampard will play for is owned by Man City so it makes perfect sense for him to be loaned to City until the MLS season starts.
  • Options
    Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your argument was a good one until you mentioned Milner.

So you don't like Jimmy then? Personally think he's a good club player despite his international limitations. Under valued as a key squad player. My point being that these are all players Lampard would cover for - I deliberately didn't mention Silva, Navas and Nasri.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will come in handy when Toure will be at the African Nations Cup for 6 weeks just after Christmas.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skyclaw726 wrote: »
    It's because the MLS team Lampard will play for is owned by Man City so it makes perfect sense for him to be loaned to City until the MLS season starts.

Yes, there was speculation about this when he left, so it's no big surprise.
    With his children here, and his relationship with Christine Bleakley, he was never going to spend the winter in the USA.
  • Options
    jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why do the players you dislike the most gravitate to the clubs you dislike the most?
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't the MLS running at present?
  • Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not really that strange. Trying to keep a 36 year old fit for the best part of 9 months without playing wouldn't be very easy, so it suits everyone.

I meant just the fact he's going to be wearing a City shirt. It's a decent move for both parties, agreed.
  • Options
    screammynamescreammyname Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    It's a great move by the Champions. I've always liked Lampard as a player and to see him in sky blue even if it's just for a few months will be a great thing.

City's midfield is already packed with top quality players and he will add some great experience for the champions league.
  • Options
    kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    Isn't the MLS running at present?

Aye but New York whatever is a new team which don't start competeing in the league till the next MLS season
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a great move by the Champions. I've always liked Lampard as a player and to see him in sky blue even if it's just for a few months will be a great thing.

City's midfield is already packed with top quality players and he will add some great experience for the champions league.

Speaking of the Champions League, will he even be in their squad for it? As they have a reduced squad size as it is, so they have to be very careful about who they include and who they leave out.
    kendoguk wrote: »
    Aye but New York whatever is a new team which don't start competeing in the league till the next MLS season

New York City, is hardly a hard name to remember, we are not talking about their rivals the Red Bulls, or the team in a rival league, the Cosmos!
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New York City, is hardly a hard name to remember, we are not talking about their rivals the Red Bulls, or the team in a rival league, the Cosmos!

They're a new team, funded by City.

'New York whatever' is how they should be seen.
  • Options
    LabLab Posts: 2,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New York City FC are co-owned by Man City and New York Yankees baseball team. They also have Australian partners, Melbourne FC. Some of their players have been loaned out there too.

*looks up*
    The new New York Cosmos are not in a rival league, they are in a lower league ((a new North American Soccer League (NASL)) with a view to joining the MLS.
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know why they're making such a big deal about him playing for man city. Its not like he's gonna play that much maybe a few league and fa cup games but he won't be playing against chelsea so I don't know why its such a surprise. Its basically just to keep fit like beckham did.
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lampard is allowed to play against Chelsea.
  • Options
    SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lampard is allowed to play against Chelsea.

Why wouldn't he be "allowed". What law stops a player playing against a club he once played for but has no connection to.

If he wasn't allowed then that would be a serious issue.