Options

10pm Monday 4th August- Turn the lights out.

Comments

• Options
    Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    ruffle wrote: »
    I had a grandfather that lost his arm in wŵ1and a great uncle that was gassed I was lucky to no them both
    Cats_Eyes wrote: »
    My wife's Grandfather lost his life in that war - obviously still a very young man.

And we should salute him and the thousands of other young men who died in both this and the second world war to keep us safe.

Such brave men and so young, my Grandfather was gassed ...I feel quite emotional reading this thread :( my lights are going off too.
  • Options
    jeannie26jeannie26 Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed, as have I. Moreover why is it obvious that your wifes grandfather was young, not being disrespectul but why the need to put this in:confused:

But what graciousness and levity do you think the current Bb house could bring to the occassion. I mean really, what:confused:

My OH
    A little bit of remembrance like the rest of us.
  • Options
    GracelandGraceland Posts: 8,158
    Forum Member
    My lights will be going off as well and a candle burning.
  • Options
    Cats_EyesCats_Eyes Posts: 20,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed, as have I. Moreover why is it obvious that your wifes grandfather was young, not being disrespectul but why the need to put this in:confused:

But what graciousness and levity do you think the current Bb house could bring to the occassion. I mean really, what:confused:

Only to make the point that most of the thousands of men who died WERE very young. No other reason.

And I am not sure what you mean with regards to your second point because I made no comment with regards to the current BB house. I think I know what you mean - but I am not sure - so best not to say.
  • Options
    MissDeeBlueMissDeeBlue Posts: 4,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All lights out in my household for 1 hour. This will include laptop, pc, phones, tv.. anything with a light source. I realise this is not required, but to have 1 hour of 1 candlelight, just to reflect a time of anxiety, pain, sorrow, and lives lost, loves lost.

Its a tiny ask.

:cry:
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My lights shall be on. I don't see the point in pretending to care about an event that happened 100 years ago, whilst completely forgetting about it the other 364 days.
  • Options
    detroit citydetroit city Posts: 3,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    My lights shall be on. I don't see the point in pretending to care about an event that happened 100 years ago, whilst completely forgetting about it the other 364 days.

but you cared enough to tell people on this thread,

a thread were people have said they lost family
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Answering a question in a Big Brother forum hardly constitutes caring.
  • Options
    allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Quite. People can be so crass and ignorant. Sad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allie4 wrote: »
    Quite. People can be so crass and ignorant. Sad.

/rolleyeemoticon.
  • Options
    Cats_EyesCats_Eyes Posts: 20,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And I am sure you are very proud of your post.

Had that event and the second one not gone our way you might not have been able to sit in the comfort of your home saying what you are now.
  • Options
    bulldog rosiebulldog rosie Posts: 1,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's your choice ..........given to you by those that died .......Feel free to leave your lights on.............That is what they died for .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cats_Eyes wrote: »
    And I am sure you are very proud of your post.

Had that event and the second one not gone our way you might not have been able to sit in the comfort of your home saying what you are now.

Same goes for every single war since the beginning of time. Not sure I see your point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's your choice ..........given to you by those that died .......Feel free to leave your lights on.............That is what they died for .

Exactly ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well said!
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear.............

Oh dear what.:confused: Please explain...sounds so terribly patronising...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear what.:confused: Please explain...sounds so terribly patronising...

If You don't understand , It doesn't matter...........You're obviously young.
  • Options
    OmlOml Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    This is the first I've heard about lights out at 10pm!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If You don't understand , It doesn't matter...........You're obviously young.

That is so terribly patronising. :(What has age got to do with anything.:confused: Moreover if I was very young ( which btw I'm not) why would you feel the need to dismiss me when I asked a perfectly logical honest question.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is so terribly patronising. :(What has age got to do with anything.:confused: Moreover if I was very young ( which btw I'm not) why would you feel the need to dismiss me when I asked a perfectly logical honest question.

Oh FGS change your name to Helen ........It's more suitable ...............For all NORMAL peeps on here the lights went down at 10
  • Options
    jjrussjjruss Posts: 293
    Forum Member
    St James park didn't get the message..:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    All my lights off and a small candle burning for remembrance and gratitude to all the people of WW1, the forces, workers and not forgetting the women at home who struggled to keep family life going for the children.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You need to check your history books. The point of lighting a candle/light tonight of all nights in the year is that it was on the 4th August 1914 that Britain declared war on Germany. It was a war which changed most of the world for ever and in which millions of men died - in some countries 2/3 of the male population.
    And who says people don't think about it on any other day of the year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh FGS change your name to Helen ........It's more suitable ...............For all NORMAL peeps on here the lights went down at 10

What a cop out and how dare you insult me. Shame on you. Way to go with a logical debate or even an honest answer. Utterly Disgraceful.>:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rafferty wrote: »
    All my lights off and a small candle burning for remembrance and gratitude to all the people of WW1, the forces, workers and not forgetting the women at home who struggled to keep family life going for the children.

Nice to see that some understand .......