Options

LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 29)

Comments

• Options
    lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I can't imagine is Steve turning up at the Ace Cafe, which he was talking about doing this morning. It's probably quietened down over the decades but it was a bit rough in the Sixties! :o Not his milieu at all.

It certainly isn't rough like the 60's there....everyone is chilled and laid back enjoying the atmosphere and machinery...it's a good hang out_as someone who has bikes and a scooter I can go on any evening!
    Mark who owns it is a former copper so there wouldn't be any bother either!! :D

Missed that though would be interested in what he said about it (& if he was accurate) ;-)
  • Options
    clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    extraextra wrote: »
    I thought Olly was great when he started, he even replied to my welcoming Tweet, but agree, I think he's run out of steam, sorry Olly :(

He's still one of the best presenters on LBC. He tries to discuss different news stories to those that dominate every LBC show during the day and covers several light-hearted topics. I still think he's great.
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »
    It certainly isn't rough like the 60's there....everyone is chilled and laid back enjoying the atmosphere and machinery...it's a good hang out_as someone who has bikes and a scooter I can go on any evening!
    Mark who owns it is a former copper so there wouldn't be any bother either!! :D

When I was last there, several years ago, they were a friendly bunch. 'Admiring' each others bikes ("nice pipes" ... "when did you last grease your nipples" !!!!!!!) They also get involved in a lot of charity work.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    When I was last there, several years ago, they were a friendly bunch. 'Admiring' each others bikes ("nice pipes" ... "when did you last grease your nipples" !!!!!!!) They also get involved in a lot of charity work.

Probably best to keep Stewie away then. Something incredibly trivial will happen to him there, and he'll bear a grudge for years. See also the ABC chemist.
  • Options
    Mike RackabitMike Rackabit Posts: 4,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Erm, no, not really. Man presents tv show.
    Can't see why I'd want to stay up to watch a man present a tv show.

What next? "See James eat a bacon sandwich!".
    "Build up from today until the event next week, where there'll be full live commentary on a chat board."

Sorry, Kiko. I thought you were one of Brian's more avid supporters, but can appreciate that you may not have such an interest in Brian on the Beeb. It should be interesting tonight though. I will be posting from my multi-media hub on developments as they happen - LIVE!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard Olly Mann talking about the death of family pets at around (what seemed like 3am). Couldn't he think of something a little more light-hearted to talk about at that time? I immediately switched to Mike Graham on TalkSPORT. I tend to agree that Mann has run out of steam. He is Olly 'Nice but Dim' and has the life experience of a 14 year old. It doesn't make for very good radio in my opinion. LBC don't seem to be able to get overnights right. Time for a change...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've now got visions of Stewie turning up at the Ace in the Bentley, all leathered up like Mr Sloane, and accompanied by Olly Mann, Ian Collins and Nick Abbot, looking for a fight with some 75 year old rockers!

No doubt Steve would call some of the bikers there "Marys" or "Hefty hideaway girls" before driving ing off in one of his huffs
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    I heard Olly Mann talking about the death of family pets at around (what seemed like 3am). Couldn't he think of something a little more light-hearted to talk about at that time? I immediately switched to Mike Graham on TalkSPORT. I tend to agree that Mann has run out of steam. He is Olly 'Nice but Dim' and has the life experience of a 14 year old. It doesn't make for very good radio in my opinion. LBC don't seem to be able to get overnights right. Time for a change...

Put Vallen on overnight but he must of course take phone calls. Perhaps then his coterie of sycophants would be able to speak to him, thus massaging his diminished status but bolster his ego.
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will be posting from my multi-media hub on developments as they happen - LIVE!

You mean your laptop ;-) :D
  • Options
    RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yep

He's just dull .Maybe that's why he's there - the perfect adjunct to the chamomile tea.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry, Kiko. I thought you were one of Brian's more avid supporters, but can appreciate that you may not have such an interest in Brian on the Beeb. It should be interesting tonight though. I will be posting from my multi-media hub on developments as they happen - LIVE!

I enjoy James's shows when I get the chance to listen and I am pleased he's been chosen to give Newsnight a go. Good luck to the man.

However, I am not obsessed like some. I do not feel the need to search out his every media output, nor comment on them.

I am an avid supporter of Iron Maiden, the Ospreys and my local Chinese restaurant. Again, I do not feel the need to follow them on a daily basis, talk constantly about them, nor sing their praises or criticise when due, on an internet chat board.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoy James's shows when I get the chance to listen and I am pleased he's been chosen to give Newsnight a go. Good luck to the man.

One fears Newsnight will swell his head even more. He's not a very good political interviewer - one has to hope his squeaky emotions are kept under wrap ...

As an addendum - Jimbo , Boris is hardly a liar with respect to his decision to becoming a MP again .He's hardly going to confide in a little sh*t like you .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    One fears Newsnight will swell his head even more. He's not a very good political interviewer - one has to hope his squeaky emotions are kept under wrap ...

Do we know who's lined up for interviews over the next 2 days?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

However, I am not obsessed like some. I do not feel the need to search out his every media output, nor comment on them.

I am an avid supporter of Iron Maiden, the Ospreys and my local Chinese restaurant. Again, I do not feel the need to follow them on a daily basis, talk constantly about them, nor sing their praises or criticise when due, on an internet chat board.

Oh dear, sorry if I have hit a raw nerve, that wasn't my intention. This is the LBC General Chit-Chat thread so there are a few of us who comment on the station and appearances by presenters on other shows.

Iron Maiden? They were only worth listening to when Paul Dianno was the singer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh dear, sorry if I have hit a raw nerve, that wasn't my intention. This is the LBC General Chit-Chat thread so there are a few of us who comment on the station and appearances by presenters on other shows.

Iron Maiden? They were only worth listening to when Paul Dianno was the singer.

No nerves hit, raw or otherwise.
    The Di'anno albums are good, but Bruce took the musicianship and songwriting far above what Paul could manage. Even Steve Harris saw this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do we know who's lined up for interviews over the next 2 days?

No idea .

Mike is the supreme info source on this topic :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No idea .

Mike is the supreme info source on this topic :)

I would guess at someone in the intoxicating spirits industry, someone standing up for the middle classes and there just has to be someone to do with education.
    Perhaps Newsnight could chuck in Vincent Nichols too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would guess at someone in the intoxicating spirits industry, someone standing up for the middle classes and there just has to be someone to do with education.

...and i'm guessing it's not Boris or IDS. Though one lives in hope.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ...and i'm guessing it's not Boris or IDS. Though one lives in hope.

All the website tempts us with is
    "In-depth investigation and analysis of the stories behind the day's headlines with James O'Brien."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Getting squeaky and overwrought is an issue. He really has to try and keep his huge ego and unusual over emotional outbursts to a minimum tonight. Lets hope there aren't any of the famous Brian 'trigger' topics mentioned like public school, drug busts, breast feeding, Mumsnet or "Farridge".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the website tempts us with is
    "In-depth investigation and analysis of the stories behind the day's headlines with James O'Brien."

So at least Boris will presumably get a fairly large mention .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting squeaky and overwrought is an issue. He really has to try and keep his huge ego and unusual over emotional outbursts to a minimum tonight. Lets hope there aren't any of the famous Brian 'trigger' topics mentioned like public school, drug busts, breast feeding, Mumsnet or "Farridge".

If he's smart he'll keep it polite , low key and professional .Yes his emotions are very much his achilles heel . Here's hoping Johnson makes an appearance.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So at least Boris will presumably get a fairly large mention .

May well be, considering the story today is he will stand for MP in 2015.
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All this talk of Boris Johnson is making me ill. Poor Uxbridge. I am not a fan. The man is just as ruthless as any other politician IMO.
  • Options
    edwardlondonedwardlondon Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    Hi all
    My first post here so be gentle!

My thoughts on LBC currently....
    Steve Allen: love or loathe I think he is a `natural` presenter. He does it all effortlessly and although the content is often similar he is a class act and certainly pulls in the figures daily. Dont take him too seriously and just enjoy the banal rants. I think his `in converations` are poor. He talks about himself too much and should really be getting more from his guests.

Nick Ferris[!] Not a natural presenter like Steve. Should have more of a free reign. Too many guests. No need for a paper reviewer or the ghastly Henk Potts. Let Nick have a little more freedom. He can be v funny at times. Let him off the reign a little and give him more space to add his own comments and thoughts.

James. Not a big fan. I find him rather annoying and dont really warm to him. I am sure his rajar is good but its all a bit combatative and angry. Slightly whiney and cantankerous.

Julia. Not a fan. Not great on radio. Better on telly.

Petrie. Dont warm to her terribly. Thinks she is way better than she is. She is ok on air and competent but I normally switch off fairly soon.

Ian. Nice guy by all accounts. Quite fair on air too. A relaxed listen but would prob be better in the early afternoon. Maybe drive shld have more pace. Certainly a place for him though and I do like his easy relaxed style.

Olly. Not v life experienced. Sounds often v wet behind the ears. Not a natural broadcaster and prob better as a writer and journalist. Perfectly nice man and ok on over nights but no star quality at all.

Nick Abbot. marmite. love or hate. Personally cannot stand. I have to turn off immediately.

The travel guy in the morning. Andy How on earth he gets that gig. His blabbers on so fast and mumbles. Its hilariously awful.

Clive. Been there too long. He is a lovely guy but oh so dull. Never makes me laugh. Its v dull. Its like magnolia wallpaper. V v bland. Dependable but bland.

Anyway..those are my honest thoughts. Overall I do listen daily to LBC and enjoy it very much and I love reading all the comments here.

I would love any reaction my thoughts!! This is a super web site.
This discussion has been closed.