Options

Problems in Calais with refugees - lack of compassion?

frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
Forum Member
I'm in Kent and it's been in the local news about the problems in Calais, with refugees/migrants waiting in Calais in camps waiting to cross the channel illegally to gain entry to the UK. There has been violent clashes in the camps from groups from different countries over space and area within those camps. A Calais official is so fed up with his town having to deal with this and affecting the local economy that he has said the refugees/migrants should all be given tickets to cross the channel to Kent.
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/dover/news/immigrants-shipped-to-dover-21399/

Now that's the background. What I find quite disturbing though is the complete lack of compassion shown by people in this country towards this issue. Regardless of where you stand on the immigration issue, why do some people go on to describe these refugees as "scum" and suggest their boats get sunk or their planes blown up? (Both comments given on the FB pages of local newspapers). I can understand that people may not want them here, but to want to harm them to the point of killing them is inhumane.

Is this what some people have become, inhumane with a lack of compassion?

Comments

• Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Leaving aside repeated arguments that most of these people are believed to have ignored their 'first safe country of refuge' ,and instead traveled through up to 7 other safe countries in order to reach the UK, we may just as well let them all in now, since one way or another, legal or otherwise, they will eventually be allowed to enter and remain in soft touch Open Door Britain anyway !
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So tell us what your solution is?

I take it you will welcome one into your home?
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they're in France, an already safe country, then they are not refugees.

I feel sorry for the French having to deal with them but maybe they need to tighten up their own border controls by not allowing them in from other neighbouring safe countries in the first place.

These people are not anything to do with the UK.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    I'm in Kent and it's been in the local news about the problems in Calais, with refugees/migrants waiting in Calais in camps waiting to cross the channel illegally to gain entry to the UK. There has been violent clashes in the camps from groups from different countries over space and area within those camps. A Calais official is so fed up with his town having to deal with this and affecting the local economy that he has said the refugees/migrants should all be given tickets to cross the channel to Kent.

Now that's the background. What I find quite disturbing though is the complete lack of compassion shown by people in this country towards this issue. Regardless of where you stand on the immigration issue, why do some people go on to describe these refugees as "scum" and suggest their boats get sunk or their planes blown up? (Both comments given on the FB pages of local newspapers). I can understand that people may not want them here, but to want to harm them to the point of killing them is inhumane.

i`m in the same camp as you, i find it absolutely horrifying and it`s soul destroying for anyone to be treated in this way.

we`re all allegedly human.

edit: bit godwins but isn`t this how the persecution of a whole mass of people started?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    Compassion? are you joking.They are not our problem,our country is in a complete mess and your worrying about how these people are being treated,who cares?
  • Options
    KittiaraKittiara Posts: 2,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I definitely wouldn't wish those poor people harm. Those kind of comments are sick. The way I see it is, these people didn't leave their countries for fun. Many of them will have been pretty desperate. So, to wish them ill is wrong.

There are issues that need to be addressed, of course. I don't know all the ins and outs of the situation, but why can't they live in France? France is a pretty nice country and they will be safe there. There are several other countries where they can settle, too, that are pleasant places to live.

I don't know why they're so set on the UK. Contrary to the belief of some Brits, it's not as though when you arrive in the UK as a migrant, you get to walk the red carpet and get all sorts of goodies handed to you. There's a lack of affordable housing, a shortage of jobs, and you'll soon become aware that a percentage of the population really doesn't want you here.

Don't get me wrong - I like the UK. And I'm a migrant (moved here to be with my British partner). The difference is that I wasn't desperate. If it were a case of needing a safe haven, I would have been happy enough to settle in any safe, decent country that would have me.
  • Options
    KathrynhaKathrynha Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    If they're in France, an already safe country, then they are not refugees.

I feel sorry for the French having to deal with them but maybe they need to tighten up their own border controls by not allowing them in from other neighbouring safe countries in the first place.

These people are not anything to do with the UK.

Totally agree.

I know the "1st safe country" rule does unfairly burden generally poorer countries, but if you are a proper refuge you will be happy with any safe country. Wanting to go to 1 inparticular make s you an economic migrant not a refuge.
    Think countries that get high numbers of refuges should get decent international help to reduce the burden on poorer safe countries.
  • Options
    NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would never wish harm on anyone. People aren't scum for escaping hardships or for just plain wanting a better life, and saying you hope they get blown up or drowned is beyond callous. However, we are an island. We really shouldn't get refugees as they would have to pass through several safe places to reach us. That isn't how it's supposed to work.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would think the reason they are wanting to come to the UK rather than France will be they have family/friends here already? Its going to be far easier to set yourself up somewhere where you know you'll get help than somewhere you have no network at all.
  • Options
    JackKlugmanJackKlugman Posts: 5,362
    Forum Member
    Most of the "refugees" are young men, probably dont speak English and dont have any skills that benefit the UK ecomomy.

We dont need them or want them.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Compassion? are you joking.They are not our problem,our country is in a complete mess and your worrying about how these people are being treated,who cares?

Next question.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cessna wrote: »
    Leaving aside repeated arguments that most of these people are believed to have ignored their 'first safe country of refuge' ,and instead traveled through up to 7 other safe countries in order to reach the UK, we may just as well let them all in now, since one way or another, legal or otherwise, they will eventually be allowed to enter and remain in soft touch Open Door Britain anyway !

What about the lack of compassion shown as was the point with my post?
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

On the local news the other day a French government official said that once this latest camp is demolished the migrants should move away from the area and apply for asylum in France, it's not right that the UK should have this problem - I'll take notice of him thanks.

Nasty online comments, you get them all the time no matter the subject.

EDIT to add, no I'm not saying it's ok.

Or sick and tired of them? I know I am.
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

France is a safe, rich country and these people are already resident there.

In what way does this scenario make these people our responsibility as opposed to Frances?
  • Options
    WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people who call immigrants "scum" and talk about wishing they could blow their boats up are racist bastards with no redeeming features.

However, for people like me who are concerned about the amount of people we let into this country I don't think we lack compassion. Personally, I worry about our resources, racial and religious tension, and a total lack of intergration when you get whole areas being used as a dumping ground for people. I don't think having concerns about any of those things mean I lack compassion. Britain is pretty tiny and full to bursting as it is. I wish we could help everyone but real life doesn't work like that. It's not lacking compassion to point this out, just practical.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So tell us what your solution is?

I take it you will welcome one into your home?

Again not the point of the discussion as I said whatever the side of debate you are on, what about the lack of compassion? Compassion doesn't mean opening the borders and letting people come here BTW.
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again not the point of the discussion as I said whatever the side of debate you are on, what about the lack of compassion? Compassion doesn't mean opening the borders and letting people come here BTW.

So you are not offering any practical solution then?
  • Options
    KIIS102KIIS102 Posts: 8,539
    Forum Member
    Thank god for the English Channel, possibly one of the best assets (not that we own it) we have. I can only imagine the state of this country had we been land-locked with the rest of Europe. If the French don't like them then they should do something to remove them from the area/their country.

It's bad enough having an open Border with Europe, never-mind being tried to feel bad into taking Illegal Immigrants on top.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A Calais official is so fed up with his town having to deal with this and affecting the local economy that he has said the refugees/migrants should all be given tickets to cross the channel to Kent.
    some lame french councillor who can't cope and doesn't care wants to offload his problem to somewhere else and that's supposed to be our fault.
    All I see is heads stuffed with cotton wool here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Because I was brought up, not just by my parents, but in a atmosphere of being able to show compassion to other human beings less fortunate than I. Even if you have no compassion, how can some people wish such an awful death on others (drowning and bombing)? I don't understand that mindset at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member

These people are under the mistaken impression that the UK is a land of Milk and benefits.

Its not.

They probably need a wake up call about the welfare system in the UK and how uncompassionate it is, with our caps, sanctions and bedroom taxes. Boy George was only saying the other day he wants to do away with the entire system to build railroads in the North.

Settle in France, they will probably be better off
  • Options
    Forum Member

what practical solution is there?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Because I was brought up, not just by my parents, but in a atmosphere of being able to show compassion to other human beings less fortunate than I. Even if you have no compassion, how can some people wish such an awful death on others (drowning and bombing)? I don't understand that mindset at all.

i don`t think that the majority of posters here so far are grasping your question. [:o]
  • Options
    SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    They are determined to come to the UK because all of their relatives and mates have told them how well they get treated - far better than the indigenous population in many cases. This country is an easy touch - they know it and everyone in Europe knows it.

Did you see how violent they were? Throwing anything and everything to hand at the border patrols trying to do their job. They can stay over there - of course we know they won't do. They will be here soon enough one way or another as another poster has already stated.

Voting UKIP is the only way, if only to show our politicians that we've had just about enough of their slavish adherence to the EU and turning the UK into the cesspit of Europe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i don`t think that the majority of posters here so far are grasping your question. [:o]

Its very easy to post put them on a boat and sink it because these people have been dehumanised in most of our eyes. Read a daily Mail article and you will be under the impression that these guys are criminals who carry the Ebola virus who will nick your jobs and rape your wife

They are human beings who want a better life. if I was born in the same siutation maybe I would be trying to get into the UK.

Problem is that we dont want them. We have enough low skilled workers and dont need more